PDA

View Full Version : Which cultures are stereotyped to be more or less formal than is really the case?

Tooting Carmen
05-16-2021, 10:15 PM
As someone who is half-British half-Colombian, IMO British culture is stereotyped to be more formal than is really the case, while Colombian culture is stereotyped to be less formal than is really the case.

Ayetooey
05-16-2021, 10:19 PM
Sterotyped as more formal its of course Britain, or England in particular. The foreign image of the typical Englishman is a middle class semi rural family from the home countries. I think the average foreigner would get a big culture shock visiting any city here, especially somewhere in the working class North like Grimsby. I'd go as far as saying Britain is the least formal country in the North of Europe; Dutch, Germans, Scandinavians are much colder than Brits. In terms of sterotyped as less formal I'd say broadly speaking the Arab world. https://www.uklinkology.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Arabic_Customs.pdf

Tutankhamun
05-16-2021, 10:22 PM
East asians in general

Tooting Carmen
05-16-2021, 10:23 PM
East asians in general

Are you saying they are stereotyped as being more or less formal than the reality?

Tooting Carmen
05-16-2021, 10:25 PM
Stereotyped as more formal its of course Britain, or England in particular. The foreign image of the typical Englishman is a middle class semi rural family from the home countries. I think the average foreigner would get a big culture shock visiting any city here, especially somewhere in the working class North like Grimsby. I'd go as far as saying Britain is the least formal country in the North of Europe; Dutch, Germans, Scandinavians are much colder than Brits. In terms of stereotyped as less formal I'd say broadly speaking the Arab world. https://www.uklinkology.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Arabic_Customs.pdf

I agree with you about Brits. It seems that many foreigners view Britain as basically like the characters in Lewis or Midsomer Murders. But why is the formality of the Arab world such a surprise? They are mostly very traditional and hierarchical societies.

Ayetooey
05-16-2021, 10:27 PM
I agree with you about Brits. It seems that many foreigners view Britain as basically like the characters in Lewis or Midsomer Murders. But why is the formality of the Arab world such a surprise? They are mostly very traditional and hierarchical societies.

Many people, especially in the US, ignorantly dismiss and sterotype the whole Arab world as barbaric, full of terrorists, violent, dirty etc. Ignoring a lot of the deep seated formal traditions which exist there.

Tooting Carmen
05-16-2021, 10:30 PM
Many people, especially in the US, ignorantly dismiss and sterotype the whole Arab world as barbaric, full of terrorists, violent, dirty etc. Ignoring a lot of the deep seated formal traditions which exist there.

At least some of said violence is the Islamist reaction to what they perceive to be the decadence and loose morals of the West, which they view as a threat to their deep-seated traditions.

Tutankhamun
05-16-2021, 10:36 PM
Are you saying they are stereotyped as being more or less formal than the reality?

Yes

Tooting Carmen
05-16-2021, 10:36 PM
Yes

I think you misunderstand: are they more formal than the stereotype, or less formal than the stereotype?

Tutankhamun
05-16-2021, 10:46 PM
I think you misunderstand: are they more formal than the stereotype, or less formal than the stereotype?

Sorry for not specifying lol. Certainly less formal than the stereotype. But I'm talking about young people, because old East Asian people are extremely formal, and this is not a streotype for me.

Andullero
05-16-2021, 10:47 PM
As someone who is half-British half-Colombian, IMO British culture is stereotyped to be more formal than is really the case, while Colombian culture is stereotyped to be less formal than is really the case.

We Hispanic Caribbean islanders are stereotyped as being informal, but I'd say it is more of a scale: Cubans being the more formal while bories being the most informal (due to their adopting Yankee slack/standoffism) while we are on the smack middle.

Tooting Carmen
05-16-2021, 10:52 PM
We Hispanic Caribbean islanders are stereotyped as being informal, but I'd say it is more of a scale: Cubans being the more formal while bories being the most informal (due to their adopting Yankee slack/standoffism) while we are on the smack middle.

And what about Haitians or Jamaicans?

Andullero
05-16-2021, 10:54 PM
And what about Haitians or Jamaicans?

Jamaicans seem more informal to me. Haitians can be very serious when they want to, methinks.

Tooting Carmen
05-16-2021, 10:57 PM
Jamaicans seem more informal to me. Haitians can be very serious when they want to, methinks.

As for Colombia, while the coasts may be different, certainly the Andean parts of the country (esp Bogota itself) are way more formal and serious than many people realise - the way people dress, the terms people use to address each other. Even on this very forum, samario for example uses 'usted' rather than 'tu' when talking to other forum members.

Tooting Carmen
05-19-2021, 10:22 PM

Standoffishness is not informality - the opposite, it is uppity and pompous. Unless we mean different things.

Andullero
05-20-2021, 09:33 PM
Standoffishness is not informality - the opposite, it is uppity and pompous. Unless we mean different things.

I mean being in a semi-permanent beach mode as far as dress and manners go. Contrary to what happens in PR, beaches in Hispaniola seem to be more of a detail of the landscape more than an actual way of living. You'd think you were dealing with people in a continental setting more than islanders if it werent for the landscape here.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 12:52 PM
I mean being in a semi-permanent beach mode as far as dress and manners go. Contrary to what happens in PR, beaches in Hispaniola seem to be more of a detail of the landscape more than an actual way of living. You'd think you were dealing with people in a continental setting more than islanders if it werent for the landscape here.

Oh OK. So do PRs show up in swimwear even to business meetings then?

Alexandro
05-21-2021, 12:57 PM
People seem to think Spaniards are on siesta 24/7 and we just chill on the beach all day, which while not one of the worst stereotypes in the world its not true.

We just work to live, not live to work.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 01:00 PM
People seem to think Spaniards are on siesta 24/7 and we just chill on the beach all day, which while not one of the worst stereotypes in the world its not true.

We just work to live, not live to work.

But on the other hand, I would say it is true that, compared to most Northern Europeans and also the Portuguese and Italians, Spaniards tend to be more informal in terms of the way they address and relate to each other. (Italians still use lei far more than Spaniards use usted, for example, while the Portuguese in general are a noticeably more serious and sombre lot than Spaniards).

Jana
05-21-2021, 01:02 PM
Being informal has nothing to do with work ethic - Dutch are very informal and they aren't known for being carefree.

Croatian culture is very formalistic which people probably don't know. Few days ago I had angry outburst at my dad after meeting his work collague - he criticised me afterwards because I offered my hand to his friend first and introduced myself. Father criticised me because in Croatian culture it is rude if younger person offers hand to other side first (older person initiates introductions), and that made me angry because I am polite person.

Such formalities/unwritten rules are normal here. And we have weak business culture.

So formal society has nothing to do with work habbits. More conservative societies are more formal, more modern ones less.

Jana
05-21-2021, 01:05 PM
But on the other hand, I would say it is true that, compared to most Northern Europeans and also the Portuguese and Italians, Spaniards tend to be more informal in terms of the way they address and relate to each other. (Italians still use lei far more than Spaniards use usted, for example, while the Portuguese in general are a noticeably more serious and sombre lot than Spaniards).

Dutch and Scandinavians are much more informal than most southern Europeans especially Italians (who still adress themselves by titles)
People here some some very weird and inncaurate stereotypes about Europe.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 01:06 PM
Being informal has nothing to do with work ethic - Dutch are very informal and they aren't known for being carefree.

So formal society has nothing to do with work habits. More conservative societies are more formal, more modern ones less.

I'm not saying that formality and work ethic are necessarily related. But I am not sure I agree with you about the Dutch - like Ayetooey said, they tend to be a lot more reserved and distant than even the British. Plus also people who have lived there tell me that even their supposed social liberalism is overrated; especially outside Amsterdam, most people are actually quite small 'c' conservative in their values and behaviour.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 01:08 PM
Dutch and Scandinavians are much more informal than most southern Europeans especially Italians (who still address themselves by titles)
People here some some very weird and inaccurate stereotypes about Europe.

Dutch and Scandinavians are more egalitarian than most Southern Europeans, yes, but that actually isn't quite the same thing as being more informal. After all, Americans tend to be more informal than the British, yet in most respects the US is certainly no more an egalitarian society than Britain and in many ways rather less so.

Jana
05-21-2021, 01:09 PM
I'm not saying that formality and work ethic are necessarily related. But I am not sure I agree with you about the Dutch - like Ayetooey said, they tend to be a lot more reserved and distant than even the British. Plus also people who have lived there tell me that even their supposed social liberalism is overrated; especially outside Amsterdam, most people are actually quite small 'c' conservative in their values and behaviour.

Being reserved or distant has nothing to do with being formal or nor.
Dutch aren't formal at all, in their business structure hierarchy is much less than in more conservative societies and same applies to Scandinavians.

Much less distance and respects between boss/employees because they are lot more "democratic" in workplace.

My mother's friend was a Professor in Norway and he was amazed for carefree are they and how much students are closer to teachers and how much less they care about titles and such things.

Alexandro
05-21-2021, 01:10 PM
But on the other hand, I would say it is true that, compared to most Northern Europeans and also Italians, Spaniards tend to be more informal in terms of the way they address and relate to each other. (Italians still use lei far more than Spaniards use usted, for example).

Yes, true. There is a pejorative name for literally anything you could think of, even with family and friends we call each other insults.

I call the guy who cuts me off on the road a cabrón, but also use this word in an affectionate way with people I love. You know, in the US I could never get on with Anglo Americans because a lot of their way of being is just very....saran wrapped to me, they don't casually tell people things like "que te folle un pez espada y te parta por la mitad"....or maybe Spanish culture is too brutal, who knows.

Jana
05-21-2021, 01:11 PM
Dutch and Scandinavians are more egalitarian than most Southern Europeans, yes, but that actually isn't quite the same thing as being more informal. After all, Americans tend to be more informal than the British, yet in most respects the US is certainly no more an egalitarian society than Britain and in many ways rather less so.

They are not formal, so you are mistaken. In Netherlands they won't call engineer Doctor or other things like they do in Italy (where formal titles matter)
German culture is formal, but Dutch and Scandinavian is not.

British I consider formal. American is certanly not.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 01:17 PM
They are not formal, so you are mistaken. In Netherlands they won't call engineer Doctor or other things like they do in Italy (where formal titles matter)

British I consider formal. American is certainly not.

See OP. In Britain, once people reach adulthood, most of the time people operate on a first-names basis unless it is either someone very elderly or else someone who is a total stranger. (And even in the case of the latter, in many situations you're as likely to be called 'mate' as you are 'sir/madam'.)

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 01:19 PM
Yes, true. There is a pejorative name for literally anything you could think of, even with family and friends we call each other insults.

I call the guy who cuts me off on the road a cabrón, but also use this word in an affectionate way with people I love. You know, in the US I could never get on with Anglo Americans because a lot of their way of being is just very....saran wrapped to me, they don't casually tell people things like "que te folle un pez espada y te parta por la mitad"....or maybe Spanish culture is too brutal, who knows.

Which is ironic, as one of the almost timeless stereotypes many Brits have of Americans is that they are supposedly ruder and cruder than us, when in truth in many ways American society is more sanitised than most European societies are (including possibly Britain).

Jana
05-21-2021, 01:20 PM
See OP. In Britain, once people reach adulthood, most of the time people operate on a first-names basis unless it is either someone very elderly or else someone who is a total stranger. (And even in the case of the latter, in many situations you're as likely to be called 'mate' as you are 'sir/madam'.)

In Britain you call people you don't know well by first name? In Croatia this is unacceptable, so I am suprised. Here you can start calling other people by their first name only after they allow it (speaking for people over 30)

Jana
05-21-2021, 01:23 PM
Americans aren't rude at all, they are very polite (much more than most Europeans). People in my country are lot more rude, so NYC (notorious for rude people in US) for me was super nice place.
But they (Americans) aren't particulary formal which is a good thing.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 01:23 PM
In Britain you call people you don't know well by first name? In Croatia this is unacceptable, so I am surprised. Here you can start calling other people by their first name only after they allow it (speaking for people over 30)

Staff in shops which I attend regularly sometimes call me by my first name, for example, despite me not knowing them necessarily very well.

Jana
05-21-2021, 01:25 PM
Staff in shops which I attend regularly sometimes call me by my first name, for example, despite me not knowing them necessarily very well.

This is def. considered rude/weird here. But it means they know you at least. In shop where I shop for years (small shop where they know my face) nobody knows my name, or anywhere else for that matter.

Alexandro
05-21-2021, 01:27 PM
Americans aren't rude at all, they are very polite (much more than most Europeans). People in my country are lot more rude, so NYC (notorious for rude people in US) for me was super nice place.
But they (Americans) aren't particulary formal which is a good thing.

I feel Americans are quite formal actually, in my experience anyway. They are scared to offend, and fake niceness is everywhere.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 01:27 PM
But they aren't particulary formal which is a good thing.

Yeah that's something else - politeness and formality are not the same thing, even though there is some overlap. For example, as a whole I'd say the British tend to be more polite than the French, in the sense of being more gentle and smiley and using please and thank you more, but the French tend to be more formal than the British, in the sense that they will use vous even with people they have known for thirty years, and are a lot more elaborate in the way they write in particular.

Alexandro
05-21-2021, 01:29 PM

Here in spain the staff at shops like markets and whatnot say things to me like "ey, macho/tronco/chaval/tio/amigo/compadre" and one guy who is around my age who works at the deli calls me cabrón when I see him, but never by my first name. That's weird to me.

Jana
05-21-2021, 01:31 PM
I feel Americans are quite formal actually, in my experience anyway. They are scared to offend, and fake niceness is everywhere.

This is true. But they are far less obsessed with formal things like degrees or title, they are more practical and value people who are good at what they do no matter their formal qualifications.
In Hungary for example people have their parent academic title written in their ID, this is unimaginable in US.

Yeah that's something else - politeness and formality are not the same thing, even though there is some overlap. For example, as a whole I'd say the British tend to be more polite than the French, in the sense of being more gentle and smiley and using please and thank you more, but the French tend to be more formal than the British, in the sense that they will use vous even with people they have known for thirty years, and are a lot more elaborate in the way they write in particular.

Agree with this.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 01:33 PM

The "have a nice day" culture I wouldn't describe as formal as such, just rather ritualised. But I remember reading some studies showing how Latin American immigrants in California, when visiting the doctor, were shocked to find him/her wearing jeans and addressing them by their first names - it is in things like this where Latin Americans are often (at least by comparison) quite prim and conservative, whatever stereotypes might suggest.

Jana
05-21-2021, 01:35 PM
The "have a nice day" culture I wouldn't describe as formal as such, just rather ritualised. But I remember reading some studies showing how Latin American immigrants in California, when visiting the doctor, were shocked to find him/her wearing jeans and addressing them by their first names - it is in things like this where Latin Americans are often (at least by comparison) quite prim and conservative, whatever stereotypes might suggest.

Latinos are quite conservative and formal, this is not a suprise. People just stupidly think average favela dweller represent their society well.

JamesBond007
05-21-2021, 01:38 PM

It seems to me the British middle classes have self-deprecating politeness because they are stuck in the middle and unlike America their social position is only loosely linked to crude cash raw dollar worth. America is a nation of peasant tinkers so in a tinker society everything is profaned with a price tag.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 01:38 PM
Latinos are quite conservative and formal, this is not a surprise. People just stupidly think average favela dweller represent their society well.

Compared to Anglo/Germanic cultures, there is a much bigger public vs private divide in Latino cultures, if that makes sense. Latinos tend to be more affectionate, intimate and revelatory with their friends and relatives, but in work/education/business situations they can be surprisingly formal and prim. In contrast, I'd say there is usually a greater consistency in how people behave and speak in Anglo/Germanic cultures.

Alexandro
05-21-2021, 01:40 PM
Compared to Anglo/Germanic cultures, there is a much bigger public vs private divide in Latino cultures, if that makes sense. Latinos tend to be more affectionate, intimate and revelatory with their friends and relatives, but in work/education/business situations they can be surprisingly formal and prim. In contrast, I'd say there is usually a greater consistency in how people behave and speak in Anglo/Germanic cultures.

This is true for Southern Euros too

Jana
05-21-2021, 01:40 PM

Yes, this is exactly my experience with middle class Latinos in US (compared to middle class white Americans)

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 01:50 PM
This is true. But they are far less obsessed with formal things like degrees or title, they are more practical and value people who are good at what they do no matter their formal qualifications.
In Hungary for example people have their parent academic title written in their ID, this is unimaginable in US.

Hungarian ID cards feature what people's parents' qualifications are? Dios Mio!

Jana
05-21-2021, 01:52 PM
Hungarian ID cards feature what people's parents' qualifications are? Dios Mio!

Yes, they feature mother's name, and if she has title it is displayed.

On Stears ID his mother is written as Dr. _____

Alexandro
05-21-2021, 01:54 PM
Yes, they feature mother's name, and if she has title it is displayed.

On Stears ID his mother is written as Dr. _____

That's really interesting.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 01:57 PM

Well in Colombia, people with PhDs and even some undergraduate degrees usually expect to be addressed as "Dr/a". Here, sometimes I don't even call my Doctor 'Dr', depending on how well I know him/her.

Jana
05-21-2021, 01:58 PM

And interestingly no mention of father on IDs. Maybe they took idea from Jews :D

Jana
05-21-2021, 02:00 PM
Well in Colombia, people with PhDs and even some undergraduate degrees usually expect to be addressed as "Dr/a". Here, sometimes I don't even call my Doctor 'Dr', depending on how well I know him/her.

In Hungary Dr title is also for all people who graduated law and passed the bar, it's not only for PhD.
In Croatia we had this too (and engineers were also doctors like in Italy) until communists eliminated it, now only PhD is Dr unlike in Hungary.

Alexandro
05-21-2021, 02:01 PM

Interesting. I'm on a first name basis with my doctor, it was the same in the US too.

Andullero
05-21-2021, 03:48 PM
Oh OK. So do PRs show up in swimwear even to business meetings then?

I can count with the fingers of one hand the times I saw Ricans on suits/tuxedoes while on visit to that island (and I am more or less a regular visitor), whereas on this island wearing suits is de rigueur, specially if you work in the public sector.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 05:34 PM

"Good morning Mr President". xD

Anyway, a little off-topic, but another crap stereotype that many Brits (especially on the Left) have of Americans is that they are supposedly more 'intolerant' and 'chauvinistic' regarding other cultures and languages than us, when in truth American urban and public culture is rather more accommodating towards them than Britain is. As someone who grew up in one of Britain's most multi-ethnic cities (and briefly studied in another one), I can tell you that it would be considered EXTREMELY rude and shocking to hear staff in a city centre shop or restaurant speaking either to each other or to customers in Punjabi, Gujarati, Hindi etc., and certainly they shouldn't usually expect signs or information in those languages. (Maybe if you visited the heavily South Asian neighbourhoods you would hear and read them more in those settings, but even then less than you might expect).

By contrast, in NYC and Miami you see plenty of signs and information at least in Spanish and sometimes other languages too - principally Kreyol in Miami's case and Mandarin and other Asian languages in NYC's case, and you'll have staff in shops and restaurants in Downtown communicating both with each other and with customers in languages other than English and people think nothing of it. Even in American children's programmes I can remember watching like Ghostwriter and Sesame Street, there would at times be characters communicating with each other in Spanish and often not even using subtitles. In British TV programmes, unless it is a very 'ethnic' one like the sketch show Goodness Gracious Me, you'd almost never hear regular characters communicating with each other in foreign languages.

Graham
05-21-2021, 05:44 PM
The British media seems much more formal than the general public. Everyone has to go on titles and royals. Dukes, Knights, dames, cbe, obes etc..

They give a misleading impression.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 05:50 PM
The British media seems much more formal than the general public. Everyone has to go on titles and royals. Dukes, Knights, dames, cbe, obes etc..

They give a misleading impression.

I think that used to be true but not so much nowadays. Certainly when journalists and politicians talk to each other, a lot of the time they act on a first-name basis, which was almost unheard of even in the 90's. As for the royal family: they are a sacred cow for many members of the public, not just the media.

Alexandro
05-21-2021, 06:35 PM
"Good morning Mr President". xD

Anyway, a little off-topic, but another crap stereotype that many Brits (especially on the Left) have of Americans is that they are supposedly more 'intolerant' and 'chauvinistic' regarding other cultures and languages than us, when in truth American urban and public culture is rather more accommodating towards them than Britain is. As someone who grew up in one of Britain's most multi-ethnic cities (and briefly studied in another one), I can tell you that it would be considered EXTREMELY rude and shocking to hear staff in a city centre shop or restaurant speaking either to each other or to customers in Punjabi, Gujarati, Hindi etc., and certainly they shouldn't usually expect signs or information in those languages. (Maybe if you visited the heavily South Asian neighbourhoods you would hear and read them more in those settings, but even then less than you might expect).

By contrast, in NYC and Miami you see plenty of signs and information at least in Spanish and sometimes other languages too - principally Kreyol in Miami's case and Mandarin and other Asian languages in NYC's case, and you'll have staff in shops and restaurants in Downtown communicating both with each other and with customers in languages other than English and people think nothing of it. Even in American children's programmes I can remember watching like Ghostwriter and Sesame Street, there would at times be characters communicating with each other in Spanish and often not even using subtitles. In British TV programmes, unless it is a very 'ethnic' one like the sketch show Goodness Gracious Me, you'd almost never hear regular characters communicating with each other in foreign languages.

There is a community of South Asians (mostly Pakis so....Pashtuns, Gujratis, Punjabis, etc) here too. They came here originally to work in mines and industry, and now they are mostly specialized in services sector. Many different supermercats and bazars I've been to around here are "run" by South Asians. A little off topic, but I've spoken to some of them about their story because I like to ask people about these sorts of things, and while there are some Pakis actually running corner shops, many of these corner shops are actually run by Chinese and it is a fairly hierarchal organization that is intertwined with the corner shops. So, essentially a young Paki will pay ~€5K for a work visa. He comes over, works at the corner shop for literally no wages, sells random crap on the Rambla for pocket money and lives with a dozen or so of his countrymen in a flat. After paying his dues he is allowed to work register and earn a salary, later opening a corner shop of his own and bring over the wife, rinse and repeat.

Also, if I may add people call them Paki which is not considered offensive at all here, and is just a normal term, but I know in the UK it has that connotation. I don't want to seem like I'm using that term to be insensitive for no reason, lol, its just what I'm used to calling them (and they call themselves).

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 06:52 PM
There is a community of South Asians (mostly Pakis so....Pashtuns, Gujratis, Punjabis, etc) here too. They came here originally to work in mines and industry, and now they are mostly specialized in services sector. Many different supermercats and bazars I've been to around here are "run" by South Asians. A little off topic, but I've spoken to some of them about their story because I like to ask people about these sorts of things, and while there are some Pakis actually running corner shops, many of these corner shops are actually run by Chinese and it is a fairly hierarchal organization that is intertwined with the corner shops. So, essentially a young Paki will pay ~€5K for a work visa. He comes over, works at the corner shop for literally no wages, sells random crap on the Rambla for pocket money and lives with a dozen or so of his countrymen in a flat. After paying his dues he is allowed to work register and earn a salary, later opening a corner shop of his own and bring over the wife, rinse and repeat.

Also, if I may add people call them Paki which is not considered offensive at all here, and is just a normal term, but I know in the UK it has that connotation. I don't want to seem like I'm using that term to be insensitive for no reason, lol, its just what I'm used to calling them (and they call themselves).

The South Asian immigration here has been socially mixed. The major categories are: (1) factory workers (in the past mainly in textiles, much less so now) (2) restaurant/takeaway staff (3) professionals (especially doctors and IT specialists) (4) refugees (major triggers included the Bangladeshi War of Independence and the dictatorships of Kenyatta and Idi Amin) (5) family/chain migrants and (6) spouses who have come through arranged marriages.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 10:47 PM
It seems to me the British middle classes have self-deprecating politeness because they are stuck in the middle and unlike America their social position is only loosely linked to crude cash raw dollar worth. America is a nation of peasant tinkers so in a tinker society everything is profaned with a price tag.

The British tend to place more emphasis on ascribed status than do Americans - hence even today the obsequiousness towards the Royal Family and to a lesser extent the aristocracy in general - but Americans tend to place more emphasis on achieved status than the British - "I want money and I want more".

Andullero
05-21-2021, 10:49 PM
The British tend to place more emphasis on ascribed status than do Americans - hence even today the obsequiousness towards the Royal Family and to a lesser extent the aristocracy in general - but Americans tend to place more emphasis on achieved status than the British - "I want money and I want more".

In other words, Brits, and one could say Euros in general, place more importance on pedigree, while Yanks do so on actual accomplishments. Impoverished aristocracy means nothing in the US, that's for sure.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 10:51 PM
In other words, Brits, and one could say Euros in general, place more importance on pedigree, while Yanks do so on actual accomplishments. Impoverished aristocracy means nothing in the US, that's for sure.

Or to put it perhaps even more cynically: Brits (and to an extent Europeans in general) value old money, whereas Americans value new money.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 10:56 PM

Yet despite what I just said, take a look at this: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/young-british-people-want-to-abolish-the-monarchy-in-dramatic-shift-of-public-opinion-survey-shows/ar-AAKdWzL?ocid=msedgntp

Andullero
05-21-2021, 10:59 PM
Yet despite what I just said, take a look at this: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/young-british-people-want-to-abolish-the-monarchy-in-dramatic-shift-of-public-opinion-survey-shows/ar-AAKdWzL?ocid=msedgntp

That will be hard to do without having the Chamber of Lords go as well. I just can't see the UK going republican while having that aristocracy in place, unless they plan on reviving the Cromwellian Commonwealth.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 11:02 PM
That will be hard to do without having the Chamber of Lords go as well. I just can't see the UK going republican while having that aristocracy in place, unless they plan on reviving the Cromwellian Commonwealth.

New Labour half-heartedly tried (or rather claimed) to reform the Lords by abolishing hereditary peers, but the trouble was they just supplanted them with various appointed peers instead!

Daco Celtic
05-21-2021, 11:33 PM
Californians are the most informal people on earth IMO although much of the American west is highly informal. You have hippie whites mixed with laid back elements in Latino culture.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 11:39 PM
Californians are the most informal people on earth IMO although much of the American west is highly informal. You have hippie whites mixed with laid back elements in Latino culture.

Hmm. Mexicans and Central Americans, as with Andean nations too, are often far more serious, sombre and formal than many people realise.

Daco Celtic
05-21-2021, 11:52 PM
Hmm. Mexicans and Central Americans, as with Andean nations too, are often far more serious, sombre and formal than many people realise.

I've had a lot of experience with them. Compared to my parents or your typical American family, they are more laid back about random family members or friends stopping by unannounced and are more openly affectionate with people. They seem to be more formal with church, Quinceañera, and designated social events. This is a bit of a stereotype and can differ based on class but it's my anecdotal take.

Tutankhamun
05-21-2021, 11:54 PM

When I visited Peru about 5 years ago, I didn't think that about Peruvians, they are very friendly and kind people, Peruvians who live in São Paulo I say the same thing. And about the Bolivians, of the Bolivians who live in São Paulo I would say that they are just shy, not "Dark people"

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 11:54 PM
I've had a lot of experience with them. Compared to my parents or your typical American family, they are more laid back about random family members or friends stopping by unannounced and are more openly affectionate with people. They seem to be more formal with church, Quinceañera, and designated social events. This is a bit of a stereotype and can differ based on class but it's my anecdotal take.

Well that is more-or-less what I said earlier - compared to Anglos, Latinos tend to be more affectionate and intimate with their friends and family while more formal and serious in business/work/certain social events.

Tooting Carmen
05-21-2021, 11:55 PM
When I visited Peru about 5 years ago, I didn't think that about Peruvians, they are very friendly and kind people, Peruvians who live in São Paulo I say the same thing. And about the Bolivians, of the Bolivians who live in São Paulo I would say that they are just shy, not "Dark people"

But if you see them in a work or business environment, I think you'd find them to be a lot more formal and serious than e.g. Brazilians in an equivalent environment.

Daco Celtic
05-22-2021, 12:01 AM
Well that is more-or-less what I said earlier - compared to Anglos, Latinos tend to be more affectionate and intimate with their friends and family while more formal and serious in business/work/certain social events.

Business/work is different though. I don't see any cultural distinction since people generally dress the same in a given workplace.

Tooting Carmen
05-22-2021, 12:03 AM
Business/work is different though. I don't see any cultural distinction since people generally dress the same in a given workplace.

Yes and no. I think you'd find British and American professionals tend to dress down at least a little more than their Latin American counterparts would, and certainly there is far less formality and deference in terms of the way people address each other.

Tooting Carmen
07-08-2021, 08:18 AM
bump

Nurzat
07-08-2021, 08:45 AM
as Romanian I can say Romanians think of themselves as having a traditional and formal culture but in practice they are very informal, even disrespectful, and I base this on my interaction with state employees on different occasions (school/university administrative employees, town hall employees, different public offices). the thing is much less present when dealing with private companies. also neighbour interaction in the city very easily gets to disrespect and quarrel.

this is why I say Romanians think of themselves of being formal but they are very informal and intrusive/not mannered in an interaction with a stranger.

I for example don't speak on 1st person to any stranger disregard the age, except kids/pre-teens, but most people will just speak on 1st person to you, which irritates me, and not only that, but with a disrespectful tone, like they would give you orders. this happens from taxi drivers to shop keepers to people on the bus etc. not to mention neighbours, who when there's anything to discuss they start it with a raised voice and aggressive stance already. maybe it's everywhere like that, I don't know, I've only lived here. what about your countries?

another thing I hate is the fake informal speech enforced in private companies, especially corporations, where you have to speak in 1st person to your boss etc.

TrueIndepence
07-12-2021, 12:44 AM

British I consider formal. American is certanly not.

Definitely true for Scandinavia, especially Sweden. Younger people do not even address seniors as "sir" or "madam". Those words are practically inexistent in today's vocabulary and if someone were to bring them back in a conversation, they would sound awfully weird.

Jacques de Imbelloni
07-12-2021, 01:12 AM

Also they tend to have a submissive attitude towards their employers, in an almost medieval way.

Tooting Carmen
07-12-2021, 01:21 AM
Also they tend to have a submissive attitude towards their employers, in an almost medieval way.

Quite a few of them, yes.

Harkonnen
07-12-2021, 12:59 PM
Don't know what the stereotype is but Finland has to be the least formal culture since forever.

Dandelion
07-12-2021, 01:46 PM
Finnish-speaking minorities outside of Finland even call their languages after their dialect, yet they aren't colonised pushovers. They just prefer it that way. That's my impression of Finnish people as an outsider.

That is how Northern Europeans are in general, though. Also Scandinavians.

Dandelion
07-12-2021, 01:51 PM
Dutch and Flemish are very informal, but Flemish a tad more. Dutch have formal circles that don't deviate from it.

Tooting Carmen
02-03-2022, 08:52 PM
Given the thread Richmondbread opened comparing Americans with Europeans in terms of friendliness, I thought I'd revive this thread.

SouthDutch7991
02-07-2022, 10:04 PM
American culture ( American meaning white British/German protestants and their peripheries ) is stereotyped as being a lot less formal than it really is. This culture of course underlies every other culture in America. This is in my opinion due to how outwardly casual Americans are, when in reality this is a way of being polite. But a lot of people misunderstand that our casual friendly demeanor does not necessarily mean that we are open, or that we accept just anyone. Obviously this varies from person to person but in America you are expected to be formally informal as a way of interacting in business, school, etc.

The reality is Americans are very closed off from everyone that is not their immediate family. However Im not sure this culture has been carried on by our youngest highschool and college generation, partially because of how massively unamerican their composition is, and partially because of outside pressure.