PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Bible Belt ✝️

Breathe
06-03-2021, 04:00 PM
As Europe becomes more progress, the people of the Dutch Bible Belt refuse to let go of their old Christian traditions. From the way they dress, to their family values, everything revolves around Christianity and the Bible. They remind me of the Amish, however, they do use electricity and they wear colorful clothes.

What do you guys think of them? Are they backwards or do you think they’re interesting?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/KfpZB1jgtDwkW86iez-CzmlVT8ebghzI1w3WojfRJcg7_eMOW26aPeTRT5l3gASdVYT3B Gy3-d1CRDBvdpuhwDp7in9DBUN8xvNtO5cdFBjC7ElxNUKqs3RBAQe lo8RFfkalfNsTHVL44-a4VwjhLABZKu2KxnTRgrf4m3_zOiOGr-LVzp-LelxA0nODJhWeYw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2DgICLDyHpU

sean
06-03-2021, 04:27 PM
As Europe becomes more progress, the people of the Dutch Bible Belt refuse to let go of their old Christian traditions. From the way they dress, to their family values, everything revolves around Christianity and the Bible. They remind me of the Amish, however, they do use electricity and they wear colorful clothes. What do you guys think of them? Are they backwards or do you think they’re interesting?

They are pretty based. They're generally very conservative and even reactionary. It's like stepping into another dimension. Impeccable streets, people standing in church because all the pews are full, work ethic like nothing you've seen before and an amazing sense of community, where gays are bullied out of the community, you're kicked out if you get pregnant out of wedlock and where there's regular measles outbreaks.

Urk is the only municipality with a super-majority in the municipal council, they vote SGP who don't allow women in the party, promote large families, 3x church on weekends and hard work.

They're often ridiculed by the media but they're the salt of the fucking earth and the only white people actually reproducing in Netherlands. It'll be them versus the invader roaches in a few generations, and I know what side I'll be rooting for.

Even Catholics in Netherlands are generally more liberal than hardline Calvinists, because they were historically marginalised by the Dutch government until they emancipated themselves through the political system. You'd need to remember that Catholics in the 19th century Dutch mind didn't differ very much from today's general perception of Muslims (lazy, treacherous, loyal to other states/factors). But real Catholics do keep their own culture and are a bit sceptical of the new liberal order, even if they don't often speak out about it.

Zeno
06-03-2021, 04:40 PM
Searched for them, unironically the most based Nederlanders ever.

They will, dare I say, H E R K O L O N I S E R E N, the Netherlands.

Dandelion
06-03-2021, 04:41 PM
I only live 10 km from a Bible Belt municipality. What's especially interesting is how their streets are built. There are so many obstacles you are forced to drive socially. Houses barely have curtains and there's little privacy. People greet each other on the street. They are as if they're still like the rest of the Netherlands were decades ago.

Also, many young people there are very out of touch with church life, but often return to their conservative lifestyle at a later point. Very comparable to the rumspringa the Amish know even though they aren't anabaptists like those latter are.

Traditional clothing is a thing of the past. In some municapilities it is still worn it on special occasions, like in Urk or Staphorst is the case. They aren't primitivist like the Amish, so they use electricity just fine. They did manage to keep television out of their lives, but they lost that battle versus the internet. And it's due to the internet that they are currently struggling with modern life versus traditional.

Keep in mind, they aren't naive. And they tend to be fine people, but of course difficult to live among them. If you respect them they are respectful to you and they tend to not really think more prejudiced of other communities.

Dandelion
06-03-2021, 04:49 PM
Also, Dutch Catholics tend to be irreliguous since at least the late 1960s or even earlier. The Roman Catholic Church lost real political power since the late '60s or started losing it, but it's an older evolution. They tend to be more Catholic than they think, culturally of course. As a Fleming they are similar to us and the same people by any right, just a tad more influenced by Dutch Protestantism culturally and less French-influenced.

Dutch Reformed aren't anti-papist anymore, as long as you don't push the religion upon them. In fact, the town of Werkendam, which is traditionally very strictly Protestant even had a Catholic mayor a few years ago. A Catholic with a high degree of affinity toward Reformed Protestants and deemed best for the job. That also exists. Not everyone living in the Bible Belt is a Protestant of course.

Crn Volk
06-03-2021, 04:49 PM
Interesting

Rethel
06-03-2021, 05:52 PM
Do they dare to say publicly, that faggots are disgusting, and that death penalty for them is good and biblical?

Dandelion
06-03-2021, 06:04 PM
Do they dare to say publicly, that faggots are disgusting, and that death penalty for them is good and biblical?

Nah. They probably would say that homosexuals shouldn't maintain sexual relationships and they bully them out systematically. There is a homosexual barber on Urk (former island) who's tolerated though, but many others have been bullied out as well. It's a village culture next to a christian culture, very intricate and only those on the inside understand it.

I also doubt many Poles would be that hateful toward gays. Unaccepting, yes, but medieval? No. Compare them to American Bible Belt people, but only the ones who are well off. They're not impoverished like you see in Mississippi or Alabama, they're no rednecks.

The Netherlands does have conversion therapy programmes though, also similar to the US. The Dutch government failed at banning those but is trying it.

Breathe
06-03-2021, 07:28 PM
I only live 10 km from a Bible Belt municipality. What's especially interesting is how their streets are built. There are so many obstacles you are forced to drive socially. Houses barely have curtains and there's little privacy. People greet each other on the street. They are as if they're still like the rest of the Netherlands were decades ago.

Also, many young people there are very out of touch with church life, but often return to their conservative lifestyle at a later point. Very comparable to the rumspringa the Amish know even though they aren't anabaptists like those latter are.

Traditional clothing is a thing of the past. In some municapilities it is still worn it on special occasions, like in Urk or Staphorst is the case. They aren't primitivist like the Amish, so they use electricity just fine. They did manage to keep television out of their lives, but they lost that battle versus the internet. And it's due to the internet that they are currently struggling with modern life versus traditional.

Keep in mind, they aren't naive. And they tend to be fine people, but of course difficult to live among them. If you respect them they are respectful to you and they tend to not really think more prejudiced of other communities.

I think their clothes look so beautiful and modest! It’s a shame they don’t wear it everyday.

Dandelion
06-03-2021, 07:42 PM
I think their clothes look so beautiful and modest! It’s a shame they don’t wear it everyday.

Here is one young woman from Staphorst who decided to wear it regularly. Special occasions and church services. And I agree.

https://youtu.be/6Y203W-83Xs

500 Staphorsters wear traditional clothing and it's the town where the practice is still the most vibrant.

Rethel
06-03-2021, 07:54 PM
I also doubt many Poles would be that hateful toward gays. Unaccepting, yes, but medieval? No.

Poles are definetly not biblical. Often also not catholic, expcet claiming to be, superficially.

And it is not medieval — it is just what God thinks about it and what the Bible informs us about.
And it is not about the hate per se, but about the truth and the text.
You do not have to hate to the core witches, to say, that death penalty for them is good and biblical.
Just the fact. Even an atheist can do it. The more should a christian form supposedly a Bible belt. :)

Satem
06-03-2021, 08:11 PM
Nice place, I don't want to judge if they do right or wrong but it's real diversity.
I mean Dutch people have CHOICE to live in such society and they don't hurt other people that much, as well as there is a choice to leave them instead sometimes it's pushed but at least it's not death penalty since they just move to more friendly place for them and that's something great

Rethel
06-03-2021, 08:11 PM
https://youtu.be/6Y203W-83Xs

In my town used to live Mennonites, but I doubt even they followed some special modesty.
They were maybe even progressive, as their cementary was(/is?) evangelical (lutheran) and
they were settled here 250 yreas ago by a catholic bishop. Unfortunatly after 1945 all went
back to the Reich, at least nonpolonized ones, as one of them lived yet in 1970s as I know.