PDA

View Full Version : Guess his ethnicity?

Sikeliot
10-17-2011, 12:58 AM
Not difficult at all.

heyaitsme
10-17-2011, 01:15 AM
I wanna say he is either Greek or Lebanese.

Sikeliot
10-17-2011, 01:19 AM
Anyone else?

jerney
10-17-2011, 01:28 AM
He looks like this half Lebanese/half white American guy my friend is related to

Hess
10-17-2011, 01:28 AM
jewish

Sikeliot
10-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Any more?

Templar
10-17-2011, 01:50 AM
Italian?

Dilberth
10-17-2011, 01:54 AM
looks very jewish

Sikeliot
10-17-2011, 01:56 AM
All of these are good guesses.. one of them has been correct.

Queen B
10-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Not Greek, but looks like Jewish or Italian?

Sikeliot
10-17-2011, 02:01 AM
The correct answer;

Sephardi Jew.

Good job to those of you who said it, and Italian, Greek, Lebanese were reasonable as well.

Hess
10-17-2011, 02:24 AM
The correct answer;

Sephardi Jew.

Good job to those of you who said it, and Italian, Greek, Lebanese were reasonable as well.

There is a guy in my Rhetorics class who is a Jew from Israel and they could easily be brothers.

Templar
10-17-2011, 03:14 AM

That's it, jewtalian!

alzo zero
10-17-2011, 09:12 AM
LOL... Am I the only one who finds rather offensive putting Jews and Lebanese in the same league as European peoples? Someone here wants to start a shitstorm... Maybe I should start putting up Berbers and compare them to certain European peoples. Just saying...

Sylvanus
10-17-2011, 11:05 AM
I thought italian. By the way the classic semitic jews was leptorhine.

Hess
10-17-2011, 04:20 PM
LOL... Am I the only one who finds rather offensive putting Jews and Lebanese in the same league as European peoples? Someone here wants to start a shitstorm... Maybe I should start putting up Berbers and compare them to certain European peoples. Just saying...

Considering their genetics, it comes as no great surprise that that some European Jews and some Greeks/Maltese/South Italians have similar facial tendencies.

Jews have been mixing into the European genepool for thousands of years, and many of them have become virtually indistinguishable from Europeans.

In fact, sometimes it's easier to spot Jews by their behaviour than by their phenotype.

alzo zero
10-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Considering their genetics, it comes as no great surprise that that some European Jews and some Greeks/Maltese/South Italians have similar facial tendencies.
Yes but "Italian", without being more specific, means little and Lebanese are just not in the same league, not even the same as European Jews.

research_centre
10-17-2011, 04:51 PM

He looks Jewish. He does not look Italian at all to me.

research_centre
10-17-2011, 04:53 PM

Jews have been mixing into the European genepool for thousands of years, and many of them have become virtually indistinguishable from Europeans.

In fact, sometimes it's easier to spot Jews by their behaviour than by their phenotype.

Considering their genetics? WTF? Virtually indistinguishable from Europeans? Maybe to you, not to me.

research_centre
10-17-2011, 04:57 PM

No, it is offensive to me also. It is beyond solid logic and educated anthropological reasoning as Jews and Lebanese are not in the same league as Europeans for a number of factors such as genetics. First and foremost, I know of no Jew who would ever catagorise themself as a European over being a Jew.

research_centre
10-17-2011, 04:58 PM
The correct answer;

Sephardi Jew.

None of the others were resonable to me. I knew it. It is clear as clear can be.

Sikeliot
10-17-2011, 04:59 PM
The only reason I said they were all good guesses;

Lebanese are Levantines like the original Jews.
Some Italians and most Greeks have a Neolithic West Asian component to their genes that may, in some instance, create a superficial resemblance with Jews who nowadays have significant European genetic input.

alzo zero
10-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Lebanese are Levantines like the original Jews.
Some Italians and most Greeks have a Neolithic West Asian component to their genes that may, in some instance, create a superficial resemblance with Jews who nowadays have significant European genetic input.
Just tell me the cultural and genetic ties between me, an Italian, and a Lebanese (who you put in the same league as equally both good guesses). Am I correct to guess it's more or less the same existing between you and someone from Ceuta?

Sikeliot
10-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Just tell me the cultural and genetic ties between me and a Lebanese. Am I correct to guess it's more or less the same existing between you and someone from Ceuta?

Well I think there is more applicable for comparison between someone from Calabria and a Lebanese.. you personally as well as other northern Italians I would say there is pretty much nothing.

Then again I didn't say this guy could pass as Italian (I'd think Jewish instantly) but others did.. ask them. I just said "good guesses" since those are all ethnicities that some people can't tell apart from Jews (again, not me).

research_centre
10-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Well I think there is more applicable for comparison between someone from Calabria and a Lebanese.. you personally as well as other northern Italians I would say there is pretty much nothing.

Then again I didn't say this guy could pass as Italian (I'd think Jewish instantly) but others did.. ask them. I just said "good guesses" since those are all ethnicities that some people can't tell apart from Jews (again, not me).

Here I absolutley disagree on Calabria. Where in the world did you get that from? No no NO. Major Basta!

Sikeliot
10-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Here I absolutley disagree on Calabria. Where in the world did you get that from? No no NO. Major Basta!

It was just an example. In no way do I think Lebanese are Europeans or genetically equivalent.

Hess
10-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Considering their genetics? WTF? Virtually indistinguishable from Europeans? Maybe to you, not to me.

From Wiki

Y-Dna haplogroups are found at the following frequencies in Malta : R1 (35.55% including 32.2% R1b), J (28.90% including 7.80% J1), I (12.20%), E (11.10% including 8.9% E1b1b), F (6.70%), K (4.40%), P (1.10%).[22] J, K, F and E1b1b haplogroups consist of lineages with differential distribution within Middle East, North Africa and Europe while R1 and I are typical in European populations.

They have a very significant amount of West Asian admix, among other minor influences. They are said to have descended from the Phoenicians, who are semites.

http://phoenicia.org/maltese.html

Yes but "Italian", without being more specific, means little and Lebanese are just not in the same league, not even the same as European Jews.

Agreed, she should have specified exactly what kind of Italian she meant (like i did).

alzo zero
10-17-2011, 05:09 PM
I thought you said "Italian" was a good guess.

I just said "good guesses" since those are all ethnicities that some people can't tell apart from Jews (again, not me).
Have you made up your mind already? Is "Italian" an ethnicity or not?

Sikeliot
10-17-2011, 05:10 PM
I think he could pass as a Calabrese, Sicilian, Maltese. Not look typical, but pass. And also, some people DO have a hard time telling Italian and Jewish Americans apart (go to Yahoo Answers and you'll see.. some people there can't even tell Mexicans from Italians and other Southern Europeans) so as far as I am concerned, it's not a bad guess.. it's not like anyone guessed Swedish or anything.

research_centre
10-17-2011, 05:12 PM
From Wiki

They have a very significant amount of West Asian admix, among other minor influences. They are said to have descended from the Phoenicians, who are semites.

http://phoenicia.org/maltese.html

Agreed, she should have specified exactly what kind of Italian she meant (like i did).

I am not saying you are outright wrong but I don't trust Wikipedia shite for scholarly research until I verify from a genuine peer-reviewed scholarly source.

research_centre
10-17-2011, 05:23 PM
I think he could pass as a Calabrese, Sicilian, Maltese. Not look typical, but pass. And also, some people DO have a hard time telling Italian and Jewish Americans apart (go to Yahoo Answers and you'll see.. some people there can't even tell Mexicans from Italians and other Southern Europeans) so as far as I am concerned, it's not a bad guess.. it's not like anyone guessed Swedish or anything.

Well, if that is was the case, then we would have to surely place Spain and Portugal at the top of that pass list, which has a far greater Jewish history than the others. In my opinion, I don't see him "passing" in any of the regions. I can spot a Jew out of a crowd, any crowd.

And I must say I never trust online open answer sites or even Wikis without firsthand verification. I feel most who post on those things are just people manipulating or trying to be a scholar.

Hess
10-17-2011, 05:24 PM
I am not saying you are outright wrong but I don't trust Wikipedia shite for scholarly research until I verify from a genuine peer-reviewed scholarly source.

It's from an article from the US National Library of Medicine

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16626331

alzo zero
10-17-2011, 05:57 PM
It's from an article from the US National Library of Medicine

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16626331
Y Chromosome is a very small part of the story, unless you are suggesting that Italians carrying I1a lineage are genetically the same as the Swedes.

Yet I think that we are going astray. The point is "Italians" (whatever you mean by that) should not be in the same sentence with the Lebanese and the Middle Eastern Jews when it comes to placing a face on the map. Period. Unless, of course, we want to look for other interesting parallelisms in the Mediterranean basin (and beyond). I'm down with it but I'm afraid I would be banned then... ;)

research_centre
10-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Y Chromosome is a very small part of the story, unless you are suggesting that Italians carrying I1a lineage are genetically the same as the Swedes.

Yet I think that we are going astray. The point is "Italians" (whatever you mean by that) should not be in the same sentence with the Lebanese and the Middle Eastern Jews when it comes to placing a face on the map. Period. Unless, of course, we want to look for other interesting parallelisms in the Mediterranean basin (and beyond). I'm down with it but I'm afraid I would be banned then... ;)

I agree here 100%.