PDA

View Full Version : Ardnamurchan Viking boat burial discovery 'a first'

Logan
10-19-2011, 08:14 AM
http://www.west-scotland-tourism.com/self-catering-ardnamurchan/maps/West-Scotland.gif

http://www.dwrobertson-photography.com/Images/Map-Ardnamurchan.jpg

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Viking-sword-axe-head.jpg

'The UK mainland's first fully intact Viking boat burial site has been uncovered in the north-west Highlands, archaeologists have said.

The site, at Ardnamurchan, is thought to be more than 1,000 years old.

Artefacts buried alongside the Viking in his boat suggest he was a high-ranking warrior.

Archaeologist Dr Hannah Cobb said the "artefacts and preservation make this one of the most important Norse graves ever excavated in Britain".

Dr Cobb, from the University of Manchester, a co-director of the project, said: "This is a very exciting find."

She has been excavating artefacts in Ardnamurchan for six years.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-15333852

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/13212

Aces High
10-19-2011, 09:33 AM
The Ardnamurchan Viking was found buried with an axe, a sword with a decorated hilt, a spear, a shield boss and a bronze ring pin a a bronze drinking horn.:cool:

My people.:thumbs up

microrobert
10-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Ardnamurchan Viking boat burial discovery 'a first'

The UK mainland's first fully intact Viking boat burial site has been uncovered in the west Highlands, archaeologists have said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-15333852

AussieScott
10-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Awesome. Probably a Dane.

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 03:09 PM
The Ardnamurchan Viking was found buried with an axe, a sword with a decorated hilt, a spear, a shield boss and a bronze ring pin a a bronze drinking horn.:cool:

Your people, Anglo-Saxon? You Anglos want to claim everything as yours, just like the Germans. How typical. :rolleyes:

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Awesome. Probably a Dane.

Probably more likely to be a Norwegian. :thumb001:

Osweo
10-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Your people, Anglo-Saxon? You Anglos want to claim everything as yours, just like the Germans. How typical. :rolleyes:

The man buried was more likely to leave sons and daughters HERE, my lad! ;) I myself have ancestors from that part of Scotland... :whistle:

Aces High
10-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Probably more likely to be a Norwegian.

Hardly...the archeologists didnt dig up any acne cream or any Aha CD's.

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 04:26 PM
The man buried was more likely to leave sons and daughters HERE, my lad! ;) I myself have ancestors from that part of Scotland... :whistle:

He came from us, sonny, not from you Anglo-Saxon Englishmen. I know you English like to pretend and put on historically inaccurate horned helmets, but it doesn't change history, or geography for that matter. ;)

http://www.bownet.org/jvulgamore/vikings/Viking%20Pictures/viking%20maps/activmap.jpg

http://www.roebuckclasses.com/maps/histmap/vikingroutes.jpg

The Lawspeaker
10-19-2011, 04:30 PM
He came from us, sonny, not from you Anglo-Saxon Englishmen. I know you English like to pretend and put on historically inaccurate horned helmets, but it doesn't change history, or geography for that matter. ;)
If he was Norwegian then what the hell happened with Norway if it could produce men like him during the Viking Age and obnoxious little teenagers like you today ? Talk about dysgenics...

:coffee:

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Hardly...the archeologists didnt dig up any acne cream or any Aha CD's.

Funny. Maybe one day they'll dig up the sheep shagging, swarthy Celt slaves your little Rhodesian hide comes from. ;)

Graham
10-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Probably more likely to be a Norwegian. :thumb001:

He'll be a Norwegian for sure. The Angles were on the other side of Scotland. We have quite a few important Norweigans burried on Iona too

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c5/Kingdom_of_Mann_and_the_Isles-en.svg/571px-Kingdom_of_Mann_and_the_Isles-en.svg.png

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 04:39 PM
If he was Norwegian then what the hell happened with Norway if it could produce men like him during the Viking Age and obnoxious little teenagers like you today. Talk about dysgenics...

:coffee:

Took your finger out of the dike to flap your mouth at me, Dutchie? On another thread you were whining about personal attacks and me not contributing to the thread, and here you are being your hypocritical little old self. :rolleyes:

By the way, I'm no teenager, Dutchie. You best hurry back to that dike now.

The Lawspeaker
10-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Took your finger out of the dike to flap your mouth at me, Dutchie? On another thread you were whining about personal attacks and me not contributing to the thread, and here you are being your hypocritical little old self. :rolleyes:

By the way, I'm no teenager, Dutchie. You best hurry back to that dike now.
I thought you needed to be corrected ( you're 15, 16.. just a teenager. Don't fool us) and I don't need to worry about the dikes. Engineers took care of that ages ago. :cool:

The Lawspeaker
10-19-2011, 04:42 PM
He'll be a Norwegian for sure. The Angles were on the other side of Scotland. We have quite a few important Norweigans burried on Iona too

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c5/Kingdom_of_Mann_and_the_Isles-en.svg/571px-Kingdom_of_Mann_and_the_Isles-en.svg.png
Clearly. It would have been some of the first islands they would have encountered when coming in from Norway. I remember watching a program about a reconstructed voyage but I need to look it up.

q95cZUzFR6U

Here is one. But I remember there was another one as well. But these men here sail from Denmark.

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 04:44 PM
I thought you needed to be corrected ( you're 15, 16.. just a teenager. Don't fool us) and I don't need to worry about the dikes. Engineers took care of that ages ago. :cool:

You're not even close, Dutchie. Why? Are you looking for a young boy to keep you company? I'm not interested. :shrug:

The Lawspeaker
10-19-2011, 04:46 PM
You're not even close, Dutchie. Why? Are you looking for a young boy to keep you company? I'm not interested. :shrug:
:coffee: I recommend you to leave this forum to people that are interested in such stuff. Now please: piss off.

The Lawspeaker
10-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Clearly. It would have been some of the first islands they would have encountered when coming in from Norway. I remember watching a program about a reconstructed voyage but I need to look it up.

q95cZUzFR6U

Here is one. But I remember there was another one as well. But these men here sail from Denmark.

Anyway. I can't find the other one. Sorry. :(

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 04:48 PM
:coffee: I recommend you to leave this forum to people that are interested in such stuff. Now please: piss off.

Sorry, but this isn't a forum for man-boy hookups, and I have every right to be on a thread about my ancestors, Dutchie. Kindly fuck off.

Motörhead Remember Me
10-19-2011, 04:49 PM

But where's his bowler hat then?

The Lawspeaker
10-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Sorry, but this isn't a forum for man-boy hookups, and I have every right to be on a thread about my ancestors, Dutchie. Kindly fuck off.
I don't think they are your ancestors. Otherwise there would have been some serious dysgenics at work.

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 04:53 PM
I don't think they are your ancestors. Otherwise there would have been some serious dysgenics at work.

Kom deg vekk. Detter er ikke ditt folk, hollender. :rolleyes2:

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 04:55 PM

I think the English have been scrambling to find those on my ancestors since Victorian times. You have to when your Anglo-Celtic royal family claims to come from our Northern gods. ;)

The Lawspeaker
10-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Kom deg vekk. Detter er ikke ditt folk, hollender. :rolleyes2:
Immigranten leren ook Noors. Jævle innvander. Dine pakistanse forfedre knullet sine geiter.

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Immigranten leren ook Noors. Jævle innvander. Dine pakistanse forfedre knullet sine geiter.

Perhaps you should learn some proper Norwegian before accusing me of being an immigrant, Dutchie? Now go and stick a finger in your dyke... sorry, dike, and leave this thread alone.

The Lawspeaker
10-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Perhaps you should learn some proper Norwegian before accusing me of being an immigrant, Dutchie? Now go and stick a finger in your dyke... sorry, dike, and leave this thread alone.
I am the foreigner here that has no wish of moving to "your" country. But I guess you're the immigrant. Never have I heard you make any positive remark about "your" country. Only flame posts when it comes to "your" neighbours or anyone else that has even the slightest interest in "your" country.

Well, Achmed - verdomde geitenneuker: ga je geit neuken en laat ons met rust.

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 05:11 PM
I am the foreigner here and has no wish of moving to your country. But I guess you're the immigrant. Never have I heard you make any positive remark about "your" country. Only flame posts when it comes to your neighbours or anyone else that has even the slightest interest in your country.

Now - verdomde geitenneuker: ga je geit neuken en laat ons met rust.

You're a hate mongering troll who ruins threads. Every time someone posts something about my part of the world or anything related to my ancestors or culture, you show up trolling the thread, waiting for a reason to attack me or spread your venomous Jewspiracy agenda. That's why I constantly have to defend myself, my nation and my people against your insidious hate mongering. You post simply for the sake of furthering your selfish agendas and for causing disharmony in the threads.

Jeg lar deg ta deg av geiteknullingen, hollender. Dere hollendere har vel ikke annet å ta dere til. Jævla søppel. Get lost.

The Lawspeaker
10-19-2011, 05:13 PM
You're a hate mongering troll who ruins threads. Every time someone posts something about my part of the world or anything related to my ancestors or culture, you show up trolling the thread, waiting for a reason to attack me or spread your venomous Jewspiracy agenda. That's why I constantly have to defend myself, my nation and my people against your insidious hate mongering. You post simply for the sake of furthering your selfish agendas and for causing disharmony in the threads.

Jeg lar deg ta deg av geiteknullingen, hollender. Dere hollendere har vel ikke annet å ta dere til. Jævla søppel. Get lost.
You only need to look at your own record. Not a single positive post. Now, please: go back to Pakistan. And take your labour friends with you.

Your name says enough "Avenger" -- you come here as a troll. Hiding behind whatever respectable mask you could.

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 05:17 PM
You only need to look at your own record. Not a single positive post. Now, please: go back to Pakistan. And take your labour friends with you.

You need help. First I was a commie spy and now I'm a Pakistani immigrant. Whatever you say, Dutchie. May I suggest increasing your daily medicine dosage? :rolleyes:

The Lawspeaker
10-19-2011, 05:19 PM
You need help. First I was a commie spy and now I'm a Pakistani immigrant. Whatever you say, Dutchie. May I suggest increasing your daily medicine dosage? :rolleyes:
Either way.. whatever you are. You are a troll. And you have come to sow ********* It's funny though that your name is "Avenger" and your first post was just after what happened on Utøya and in Oslo and the only thing you have been doing is causing trouble.

That's the only thing you are here for.

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Your name says enough "Avenger" -- you come here as a troll. Hiding behind whatever respectable mask you could.

You have a personal vendetta against me, so you make up stories. Now you're grasping at straws trying to explain why I refuse to agree with your Jewspiracy theories and European federalist nonsense. How sad.

The Lawspeaker
10-19-2011, 05:22 PM
You have a personal vendetta against me, so you make up stories. Now you're grasping at straws trying to explain why I refuse to agree with your Jewspiracy theories and European federalist nonsense. How sad.
See. You don't even have the moral guts to understand why I despise you. You are just a pathethic little troll.

Osweo
10-19-2011, 05:23 PM
:o Sorry, Dad.

Thanks for these nice pics of how all your strongest best-looking men sailed away to improve our lands, though;

http://www.bownet.org/jvulgamore/vikings/Viking%20Pictures/viking%20maps/activmap.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.roebuckclasses.com/maps/histmap/vikingroutes.jpg
:tongue

(And for Fuck's sake, lighten the fuck up, eh? I don't give a fuck about all this bollocks. You can't rob me of the Hulme and Kirkby in my family tree though! :D )

Our Angle Ecgfrith was buried there too! :p

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Either way.. whatever you are. You are a troll. And you have come to sow ********* It's funny though that your name is "Avenger" and your first post was just after what happened on Utøya and in Oslo and the only thing you have been doing is causing trouble.

That's the only thing you are here for.

You sad, pathetic little man. Grasping at straws. I joined this forum in January, and my first post was about why I have a problem with multiculturalism, you twisted, lying, pathetic little fool.

People on this forum laugh at you and your disturbed ideas, fool. You're making a mockery of yourself every time you post, you confused, silly little man, and frankly your constant trolling against me personally is getting old. You're obsessing over me and my nation and it's abnormal. Please seek help.

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 05:29 PM
See. You don't even have the moral guts to understand why I despise you. You are just a pathethic little troll.

It's beyond me to understand the mentally unsound. You got me there. :shrug:

The Lawspeaker
10-19-2011, 05:29 PM
You sad, pathetic little man. Grasping at straws. I joined this forum in January, and my first post was about why I have a problem with multiculturalism, you twisted, lying, pathetic little fool.

People on this forum laugh at you and your disturbed ideas, fool. You're making a mockery of yourself every time you post, you confused, silly little man, and frankly your constant trolling against me personally is getting old. You're obsessing over me and my nation and it's abnormal. Please seek help.
:rolleyes2: Another typical Hevneren post.

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 05:32 PM

Thanks for these nice pics of how all your strongest best-looking men sailed away to improve our lands, though;

Sure, we sent you all of our best murderers and rapists to screw your women. ;)

(And for Fuck's sake, lighten the fuck up, eh? I don't give a fuck about all this bollocks. You can't rob me of the Hulme and Kirkby in my family tree though! :D )

Our Angle Ecgfrith was buried there too! :p

I understand that to an Englishman, where my ancestors come from is "bollocks", but to me it isn't. It's just a difference in perspective. :)

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 05:33 PM
:rolleyes2: Another typical Hevneren post.

If you have nothing more to contribute to this thread, then kindly fuck off.

The Lawspeaker
10-19-2011, 05:34 PM

[QUOTEhttp://www.bownet.org/jvulgamore/vikings/Viking%20Pictures/viking%20maps/activmap.jpg

One thing though. Geschiedenis der Lage Landen (Jaap ter Haar) mentioned that the Vikings raided the coasts of Frisia very often and also ramsacked Dorestad and they didn't seem to have bypassed the area which is now the Netherlands as your map suggested. I wonder why they would have bothered about going through Flanders in those days while the Rhine could have been found pretty easily, would have been very navigable and would have been accessible by either sailing around what is now Holland and coming up through the Rhine or sailing what is now the IJsselmeer and then sweeping through the Vecht -- leading them straight to Dorestad.

This map that I found illustrates that more clearly:

http://www.iselinge.nl/Scholenplein/pabolessen/04052bvikingen/afbeeldingen/routenoormannen.gif

It seems that the majority of those Vikings were Danes.

Osweo
Eeee... I suppose the dragonships took away all the people with a sense of humour too. :shrug:

Nglund
Sure, we sent you all of our best murderrs and rapists to screw your women. ;)

Enough! I might be descended from one of these women your ancestors screwed :cry2

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Eeee... I suppose the dragonships took away all the people with a sense of humour too. :shrug:

Not at all, but a Dutch troll got me a bit irritated. In any case, back in the day there was a language known as Norn on the Orkneys, which isn't too far from the coast of Scotland, if I'm not mistaken. I know Scots has some words in it of Norse heritage (Sorcha might have a fit reading this).

Hevneren
10-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Enough! I might be descended from one of these women your ancestors screwed :cry2

I'm sure they were fine womenfolk. They must've had good taste afterall. ;)

Aces High
10-19-2011, 06:36 PM

I think you will soon find that those iron remnants that they have found and cant understand will actually be a black umbrella.....the bowler hat with horns must have rotted away.

Osweo
10-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Not at all, but a Dutch troll got me a bit irritated. In any case, back in the day there was a language known as Norn on the Orkneys, which isn't too far from the coast of Scotland, if I'm not mistaken. I know Scots has some words in it of Norse heritage (Sorcha might have a fit reading this).
Standard English itself has as many Norse words in it. SHE, THEY!

My Northern dialect has even more; skrike for 'shriek/wail', 'sken-eyed' for cross eyed... The Scots have NO monopoly on this.

The region where this ship was found actually saw the Norsemen switch language TO GAELIC, though, so this made piss all impact on Scottish forms of English. Heh, there are places called an Thobhth there, from 'Toft', which is a word in lots of English plaacenames and surnames too - Flintoff, for one.

AussieScott
10-20-2011, 12:57 AM

My clan from the Norse that settled married into picts...There's a few Scots on here claiming Dane ancestry.

AussieScott
10-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Standard English itself has as many Norse words in it. SHE, THEY!

My Northern dialect has even more; skrike for 'shriek/wail', 'sken-eyed' for cross eyed... The Scots have NO monopoly on this.

The region where this ship was found actually saw the Norsemen switch language TO GAELIC, though, so this made piss all impact on Scottish forms of English. Heh, there are places called an Thobhth there, from 'Toft', which is a word in lots of English plaacenames and surnames too - Flintoff, for one.

That's true the clan name was made more Scottish or Gaelic from the original Norse name.

SilverKnight
10-20-2011, 01:23 AM
One thing is, no matter where they came from (Norway, Sweden, Ireland) ..the photos are astonishing, just seeing an artifact that is generations times generations old with your eyes across the Atlantic in your monitor leaves you breathless :0 ....