PDA

View Full Version : Where in your country is there the starkest contrast between a city and its surrounding rural areas?

Tooting Carmen
07-20-2021, 10:53 PM
In other words, where is there an especially stark contrast between the ethnic make-up of a city and the ethnic make-up of the rural areas surrounding it? In the UK's case, I'd say it is quite possibly Leicestershire, which is where I grew up - the city of Leicester is around 50% non-white (mostly Indians but also lots of Somalis, Caribbeans, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Chinese and Middle Easterners), but most of the countryside surrounding it is 90%+ White.

Andullero
07-20-2021, 11:03 PM
Probably Higüey. The provincial capital is still majority Domi, but the countryside is littered with Haitian shanties/quilombos/bidonvilles (same thing for all purposes). Adding to that are the posh AI's catering to a majoritarily foreign clientele from Europe and North America, specially the jewel of the crown: the AI turned town called Punta Cana.

Tooting Carmen
07-20-2021, 11:10 PM
Probably Higüey. The provincial capital is still majority Domi, but the countryside is littered with Haitian shanties/quilombos/bidonvilles (same thing for all purposes). Adding to that are the posh AI's catering to a majoritarily foreign clientele from Europe and North America, specially the jewel of the crown: the AI turned town called Punta Cana.

So Punta Cana is an artificial town in the same way as Milton Keynes, Letchworth or even Canberra and Brasilia?

Andullero
07-20-2021, 11:11 PM
So Punta Cana is an artificial town in the same way as Milton Keynes, Letchworth or even Canberra and Brasilia?

Yep, and Montego Bay in nearby Jamaica.

Tooting Carmen
07-20-2021, 11:12 PM
Yep, and Montego Bay in nearby Jamaica.

Do mostly Dominicans or foreigners actually live there then?

Andullero
07-20-2021, 11:16 PM
Do mostly Dominicans or foreigners actually live there then?

It is majority foreigner now, definitely. Best of everything as far as services go even (electricity, water, medical attention, etc.).

Tooting Carmen
07-20-2021, 11:18 PM
It is majority foreigner now, definitely. Best of everything as far as services go even (electricity, water, medical attention, etc.).

So if I wanted to go to a pleasant beach resort but nevertheless still mainly find Dominicans, would Puerto Plata, Samana and/or La Romana be much better?

Tooting Carmen
07-20-2021, 11:19 PM

So if I wanted to go to a pleasant beach resort but nevertheless still mainly find Dominicans, would Puerto Plata, Samana and/or La Romana be much better?

Andullero
07-20-2021, 11:20 PM

Puerto Plata, hands down. The main town, though, as Sosúa and Cabarete have practically become Canadian winter nesting grounds (for doing kite surfing and some diving).

Andullero
07-20-2021, 11:22 PM
Another fully local place you can venture though is Río San Juan in the Northeast (on the way to Samaná). It is secluded, even.

Tooting Carmen
07-20-2021, 11:27 PM
Another fully local place you can venture though is Río San Juan in the Northeast (on the way to Samaná). It is secluded, even.

Aside from perhaps having a lot more Haitians, does Santo Domingo differ much from the nearby rural areas?

Andullero
07-20-2021, 11:36 PM
Aside from perhaps having a lot more Haitians, does Santo Domingo differ much from the nearby rural areas?

Hmmm, I'd say it does. The Distrito Nacional proper is practically a First World enclave, specially its beating heart called Polígono Central, while the surrounding municipalities are barely holding up, so to speak. In the northern corner (Villa Mella), you even have the local version of Santería, a troupe called "Congos del Espíritu Santo de Villa Mella", recognized by UNESCO not so long ago.

Tooting Carmen
07-20-2021, 11:37 PM
Hmmm, I'd say it does. The Distrito Nacional proper is practically a First World enclave, specially its beating heart called Polígono Central, while the surrounding municipalities are barely holding up, so to speak. In the northern corner (Villa Mella), you even have the local version of Santería, a troupe called "Congos del Espíritu Santo de Villa Mella", recognized by UNESCO not so long ago.

But racially/ethnically, how does the Capital itself differ that much from the countryside?

Andullero
07-20-2021, 11:41 PM
But racially/ethnically, how does the Capital itself differ that much from the countryside?

It has more European/Octoroon/Quadroon/Terceron types (yeah, I include myself here) while Villa Mella, Haina and Santo Domingo Este (specially the closer you go to the San Luis sugar mill district) are heavily griffe to SSA.

Tooting Carmen
07-20-2021, 11:42 PM
while Villa Mella, Haina and Santo Domingo Este (specially the closer you go to the San Luis sugar mill district) are heavily griffe to SSA.

Due to Haitians or local Dominicans?

Andullero
07-20-2021, 11:46 PM
Due to Haitians or local Dominicans?

Villa Mella and Haina are still local, but Santo Domingo Este has become heavily haitianized in this decade.

Tooting Carmen
07-25-2021, 07:10 PM
More generally, nowadays in England there's somewhat less of a contrast racially/ethnically between London and the rural/semi-urban areas nearby than there is between the Midlands cities and the rural/semi-urban areas nearby - probably because London is just so expensive that many ethnic minorities move out, just as many Whites do! As for the North of England, some rural/semi-urban areas of Lancashire and West Yorkshire have large Pakistani populations from the textile and mill days, but otherwise the distinction applies there too.

Tooting Carmen
09-17-2021, 10:26 PM
bump

Tooting Carmen
10-06-2021, 07:21 AM
bump