PDA

View Full Version : Queen Elizabeth Decrees For Black People To be Repatriated.

Beorn
04-06-2009, 03:31 PM
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/blackhistory/images/early_times/pc2-21-f304.jpg

An open le[tt]re to the L[ord] Maiour of London and th'alermen his brethren, And to all other Maiours, Sheryfes, &c. Her Ma[jes]tie understanding that there are of late divers Blackmoores brought into the Realme, of which kinde of people there are all ready here to manie, consideringe howe God hath blessed this land w[I]th great increase of people of our owne Nation as anie Countrie in the world, wherof manie for want of Service and meanes to sett them on worck fall to Idlenesse and to great extremytie; Her Ma[jesty']s pleasure therefore ys, that those kinde of people should be sent forthe of the lande. And for that purpose there ys direction given to this bearer Edwarde Banes to take of those Blackmoores that in this last voyage under Sir Thomas Baskervile, were brought into this Realme to the nomber of Tenn, to be Transported by him out of the Realme. Wherein wee Req[uire] you to be aydinge & Assysting unto him as he shall have occacion, and thereof not to faile.http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/blackhistory/images/early_times/pc2-21-f306.jpg

An open warrant tot he L[ord] Maiour of London and to all other[I]Christian] people that perishe for want of service, whereby through their labor they might be mayntained. They are therefore in their L[ordshi]ps' name req[ui]red to aide and assist him to take up suche Blackamores as he shall finde wthin this Realme w[I]th consent of their masters, who we doubt not considering her Ma[jesty's] good pleasure to have those kindes of people sent out of the lande & the good deserving of the stranger towardes her Ma[jesty's] subiectes, and that they shall doe charitable and like Christians rather to be served b y their owne contrymen then with those kynde of people, will yilde those in their possession to him. vyceadmyralles, Maiours and other publicke officers whatsoever to whom yt may appertaine. Whereas Casper van Senden a merchant of Lubeck did by his labor and travell procure 89 of her Ma[jest's] subiectes that were detayned prisoners in Spaine and Portugall to be released, and brought them hither into this Realme at his owne cost and charges, for the w[hi]ch his expences and declaration of his honest minde towardes those prizoners, he only desireth to have lycense to take up so many Blackamoores here in this Realme and to transport them into Spaine and Portugall. Her Ma[jes]ty in regard of the charitable affection the supli[ant] hathe shewed being a stranger to worke the delivery of our contrymen that were there in great misery and thraldom and to bring them home to their native contry, and that the same could not be don w[i]thout great expence and also considering the reasonablenes of his requestes to transport so many Blackamoores from hence doth thincke yt a very good exchange and that those kinde of people may be well spared in this Realme being so populous and nombers of hable persons the subiects of the land and xpian

SwordoftheVistula
04-06-2009, 03:41 PM
You can even get your own copy :D https://excalibur.bnp.org.uk/acatalog/Reproduction_Documents.html

Arundel
04-16-2009, 02:47 AM
I have always been a great admirer of Queen Elizabeth I, but I had never read her letter on what to do with the 'blackamoors'. She had a great idea, and apparently felt the same as we modern day whites. Great article, thanks.

Gooding
04-16-2009, 02:53 AM
Her decree should have remained in force.Lincoln should've deported the freed slaves back to Africa.Ach, what a mess!