PDA

View Full Version : Territory with no or low income tax

Jehan
08-29-2021, 01:48 PM
I find a list of 23 countries with no income tax.
But I think there are also territory inside of bgger ocuntry with special law. Isn't the case for exemple of kaliningrad?

sean
08-29-2021, 02:48 PM
Kaliningrad is an only exception as it happens to be an economically depressed area where jobs are scarce and don't pay anything resembling a living wage, causing about half of the region's able-bodied workers to supplement their income by illegally mining amber (the global market for amber exceeds $1 billion per year).

They even offered to give away Kaliningrad to Germany back in the 90's (the fall of the USSR made it an exclave). But the Germans regarded the Kaliningrad region as a Soviet problem.

Most of the German inhabitants fled before the Soviet armies at the end of WW2; the rest were brutally expelled to Germany a few years later. The land had been settled by Russians for generations - about a million of them. What would Germany do with them? Ethnically cleanse them for German lebensraum? Even trying to govern a group of drunk russkies would have been ridiculous.

Russia has propped up the region with lower tax rates, in efforts to lessen unemployment and encourage foreign investment. They have created an offshore financial center (OFC) in the region with special legal systems to support business and trade.

Overseas businesses, including Russian expats targeted by US sanctions will then be able to return their companies to Russia without putting any risk to the firms' legal and financial infrastructures or disclosing sensitive information. The companies that will operate in the OFCs will get a number of tax privileges.

Jehan
08-29-2021, 06:20 PM
You know a lot about tax system in kaliningrad ^^

So I f I create a firm there I will only have to pay for my personnal income tax?

Jehan
08-29-2021, 06:28 PM

So I f I create a firm there I will only have to pay for my personnal income tax?

Jehan
08-29-2021, 06:36 PM