PDA

View Full Version : Rate the Hungarian language

Sagitta Hungarica
10-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Listen to the videos and rate it based on its sound, or any other classification principle you would like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hentwk9BJxs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oatlpt9OuvE&feature=related

Monolith
10-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Very weird. Do all Hungarians talk so fast?

Sikeliot
10-23-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm going to be honest here.. if I closed my eyes and watched the videos without looking, I'd think I was listening to Japanese.

I picked #3 - interesting. And it is a fascinating language :)

Sagitta Hungarica
10-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Very weird. Do all Hungarians talk so fast?

It depends, some do, some don't. I honestly didn't noticed they were talking that fast, probably cause I am used with the language. To me Spanish people seem to talk extremely fast.

Leliana
10-23-2011, 09:29 PM
I like Hungarians and their culture but their language is awful.

Humanophage
10-23-2011, 09:46 PM
I think it sounds "East European" - almost "Slavic", but with no recognisable words at all. Lots of "sh" and "r". The flow seems normal and natural to me, as a Russian speaker. No excessive or odd emotions. No overly stressed consonants.

I'm going to be honest here.. if I closed my eyes and watched the videos without looking, I'd think I was listening to Japanese.
I think Japanese sounds very, very different from this. The intonations, the flow, the prevalent sounds. It is quite a recognisable language.

Burgomaster
10-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Hungarian Language= 6.98210057/10 IMO

Sikeliot
10-23-2011, 09:52 PM
It does sound Asian though.. in some way.

Caeruleus
10-23-2011, 10:09 PM
If I had to pick one word to describe hungarian it would probably be ... SOFT
I always tought that if you want to spoil a child you have to speak to him in hungarian :)

Arrow Cross
10-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Instead of talk show trash and weather wenches, listen to one of the better Hungarian actors of the past to get a good sample of how it sounds at a normal pace.

2pBIGMKzRFM

Interestingly enough, I myself thought our language is spoken rather slowly in comparison with various hasty foreigners.

Sagitta Hungarica
10-24-2011, 02:23 PM
I always tought that if you want to spoil a child you have to speak to him in hungarian :)

Yes, when coming out of the mouth of a young woman Hungarian is the most giggling, sexually arousing language there is. Compared to South Slavic languages, and even Romanian it is very soft, and relaxing to listen to. Even when watching movies in certain foreign languages I become tired physically to listen to the conversations.

Sagitta Hungarica
10-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Instead of talk show trash and weather wenches, listen to one of the better Hungarian actors of the past to get a good sample of how it sounds at a normal pace.

2pBIGMKzRFM

Interestingly enough, I myself thought our language is spoken rather slowly in comparison with various hasty foreigners.

That must be one of the best movies I have ever seen, "The Fifth Seal". Of course I could have put examples of the language spoken in more coordinated situations, but I decided to rather use random situations, since often people talk Hungarian very relaxed and use common words and intonation. But this video is definitely a great example of how technical and varied Hungarian is, compared to many other languages.

Monolith
10-24-2011, 03:53 PM
That must be one of the best movies I have ever seen, "The Fifth Seal". Of course I could have put examples of the language spoken in more coordinated situations, but I decided to rather use random situations, since often people talk Hungarian very relaxed and use common words and intonation. But this video is definitely a great example of how technical and varied Hungarian is, compared to many other languages.
Yes, this example is much better. In the first video people were seemingly speaking faster, but in the second one Hungarian language sounds like an entire sentence is one long word. :) And it does sound soft.

Sally
10-24-2011, 03:58 PM
I rated the Hungarian language as absolutely wonderful. Especially when György Cserhalmi speaks it! ;)

Nagyon szeretem a magyar nyelvet! Magyar nagyon szép nyelv! :D

Absinthe
10-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Soft, melodic and sexy. I know it's not supposed to but it kinda sounds like a much softer finnish to my ears. Wonderful :thumbs

Sagitta Hungarica
10-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Yes, this example is much better. In the first video people were seemingly speaking faster, but in the second one Hungarian language sounds like an entire sentence is one long word. :) And it does sound soft.

:thumb001: Interesting opinion, but even to me Hungarian sometimes sounds too complicated, meaning while in other languages people tend to speak in oversimplified sentences, noo, a Hungarian must dig in the vast dictionary of the language, and use all kind of linguistic flourishing and pure snobbish wankery to express the simplest ideas. Sometimes even I surprise myself what unnecessary word connections I say, just for avoiding saying a too simple sentence, when for example describing only the simple idea that "tomorrow it will possibly rain", I say something unnecessary like this "lehetőleg holnap, úgy néz ki, nézvén a felhőzetet, több, mint valószínű, hogy eső fog jönni" (possibly tomorrow, it seems like, judging by the clouds, it is more than likely, that rain will come) :D

Laubach
10-24-2011, 05:02 PM
the most difficult language I have ever heard in my entire life. I just could not understand a word.

But I have an admiration for Hungary and its culture. is a beautiful country, but the language ...

Armand_Duval
10-24-2011, 05:16 PM
I couldn't say it sounds beautiful nor ugly, I think it sounds interesting.

When I visited Budapest and I firts heard the language I thought it was very funny and strange, it sounded like an extraterrestrial language, my ears aren't accostumed to that language, however it isnt displeasant to hear.

From my personal point of view I can say beautiful languages are the romantic languages, Italian, French, Spanish, Romanian, those are the most harmonious languages in the world.

I think it was Phillip the II who said:

The german language is good to command troops the language of the military, the french language is the language of love, the language to talk to women..... and Spanish is a language to talk to God!!!.

Sagitta Hungarica
10-24-2011, 05:54 PM
I couldn't say it sounds beautiful nor ugly, I think it sounds interesting.

When I visited Budapest and I firts heard the language I thought it was very funny and strange, it sounded like an extraterrestrial language, my ears aren't accostumed to that language, however it isnt displeasant to hear.

From my personal point of view I can say beautiful languages are the romantic languages, Italian, French, Spanish, Romanian, those are the most harmonious languages in the world.

I think it was Phillip the II who said:

The german language is good to command troops the language of the military, the french language is the language of love, the language to talk to women..... and Spanish is a language to talk to God!!!.

The harmonious tag is pretty subjectively based. If you would achieve a higher knowledge in Hungarian, and understand its grammar, and structures you would definitely change your mind. For example Hungarian unless most languages has emotive words, meaning the word which describes something also tries to emulate that something, reproducing with the sound of the word the action, but also sensations, meteorological occurrences, and many more. Unless English, German and French (I don't know much about Spanish and Italian grammar) which have so many grammatical exceptions, Hungarian becomes very logical once you learned the basics. Without subjectivity, I find Hungarian very harmonious, both in expression, logic, and transmitting emotions. Hungarian deserves to be learned only for the fact to be able to read out loud, pronounce correctly, by also understanding and feeling the content of the very rich and beautiful Hungarian poetry :)

Arrow Cross
10-24-2011, 06:31 PM
That's very true.

Sylvanus
10-24-2011, 07:22 PM
The first and the second video from the tv and there speak very disguisting and different than the average hungarians. The third video speaking is very theatrical and too sophisticated.

The hungarian language have many local dialect and these are very different, but they are mutually intelligible.

The average budapester language is like these: the tone, the speed and the pronounce are typical.

4WStvEJbzBg

"Fütjüls, basdmeg, eesh hazuts! Mert edj sar semeet sar alak vadj!" (Yes, I know the IPA...)

"You ping, fuck you, and lie! Because you are a shit garbege shit chappy!"

x8iPV1kV9Io

The guy with the moustache is the parody of Gábor Péter (born Eisenberger Benjámin) the deceased head of the ÁVH the hungarian NKVD.

Sylvanus
10-24-2011, 07:37 PM

I don't think the hungarian language to soft. Probably the language of the inner budapester intellectuals is soft with alveolar flap and flippant pronounce, but the original pronounce with the alveolar trill (like the spanish) and full articulation (without the diphtongs and incomplete pronounce like as many dialect) is expressly harsh.

Sagitta Hungarica
10-24-2011, 08:19 PM
The first and the second video from the tv and there speak very disguisting and different than the average hungarians. The third video speaking is very theatrical and too sophisticated.

The hungarian language have many local dialect and these are very different, but they are mutually intelligible.

The average budapester language is like these: the tone, the speed and the pronounce are typical.

4WStvEJbzBg

"Fütjüls, basdmeg, eesh hazuts! Mert edj sar semeet sar alak vadj!" (Yes, I know the IPA...)

"You ping, fuck you, and lie! Because you are a shit garbege shit chappy!"

x8iPV1kV9Io

The guy with the moustache is the parody of Gábor Péter (born Eisenberger Benjámin) the deceased head of the ÁVH the hungarian NKVD.

Are you trying to troll, because almost nothing is true of what you said? Only mentally ill Hungarians shout and cuss in that manner as in the first video you posted, most Hungarians speak on a rather quiet, normal tone. Also there is nothing disgusting in the video examples I gave, in the first one they are just having casual chit-chat in a morning TV show and in the second video the weather presenter reads in a monotone manner the weather predictions. How do you dare lecturing as you would know all the insights of Hungarian, its regional dialects, when you proven in the highlighted text that you cannot write a single word correctly, just some phony gibberish?

Sylvanus
10-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Are you trying to troll, because almost nothing is true of what you said? Only mentally ill Hungarians shout and cuss in that manner as in the first video you posted, most Hungarians speak on a rather quiet, normal tone. Also there is nothing disgusting in the video examples I gave, in the first one they are just having casual chit-chat in a morning TV show and in the second video the weather presenter reads in a monotone manner the weather predictions. How do you dare lecturing as you would know all the insights of Hungarian, its regional dialects, when you proven in the highlighted text that you cannot write a single word correctly, just some phony gibberish?

Thank you your arrogant response, fortunately the other hungarians are not similar to you.

In the next time, please sina ira et studio.

MST3K
11-17-2011, 09:13 PM
I voted 5 (Absolutely wonderful) Hungarian has always interested me. Plus it is so sexy to listen to.

gandalf
11-17-2011, 10:43 PM
I much prefer slavic languages like russian .

Da , spacibo , nazdarovié tovarich micha

Arthur Scharrenhans
11-20-2011, 09:52 PM
I voted 'beautiful'. It sounds neither particularly soft nor particularly harsh, to my ears; it has a beauty of its own, very 'alien' with respect to European standards (doubtless owing to the fact that Hungarian isn't an Indo-European language like most other languages spoken in Europe).

Gaztelu
12-01-2011, 10:24 PM
In my opinion, it sounds a bit like Finnish.

6AhymRRxd7U

zack
12-01-2011, 10:56 PM
_H8XqA7WyLI

Odoacer
12-02-2011, 02:00 AM
I like the sound of Hungarian. :thumb001:

In my opinion, it sounds a bit like Finnish.

6AhymRRxd7U

I agree there is a similiarity, & of course they are related languages. Hungarian seems phonologically more like the neighboring Slavic tongues, whereas Finnish is more like the neighboring Germanic tongues.

billErobreren
12-02-2011, 02:19 AM
I find it...beautiful, doesn't sound much like Finnish to me though

Sagitta Hungarica
12-02-2011, 07:05 PM

Of course, they are separate languages. Forget about the Finn-Ugric language family, it is an obsolete theory. Read Angela Marcantonio's books about this language "family", but there are many other authors who disprove it.

Odoacer
12-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Of course, they are separate languages. Forget about the Finn-Ugric language family, it is an obsolete theory. Read Angela Marcantonio's books about this language "family", but there are many other authors who disprove it.

The theory is not obsolete; indeed, it is still the prevailing theory. Angela Marcantonio's ideas have been criticized (http://linguistlist.org/issues/14/14-1963.html).

Sagitta Hungarica
12-02-2011, 07:31 PM
The theory is not obsolete; indeed, it is still the prevailing theory. Angela Marcantonio's ideas have been criticized (http://linguistlist.org/issues/14/14-1963.html).

They can be criticized, but there are more missing holes between the Finn-Ugric languages than common links, and she well pointed this out. There are many other linguists who disproved the Finn-Ugric theory. Magyar should be treated as a separate language to all others, because it differs from all others, this can be observed even by a none-expert in linguistics by just listening to the language.

Odoacer
12-02-2011, 07:55 PM
They can be criticized, but there are more missing holes between the Finn-Ugric languages than common links, and she well pointed this out. There are many other linguists who disproved the Finn-Ugric theory. Magyar should be treated as a separate language to all others, because it differs from all others, this can be observed even by a none-expert in linguistics by just listening to the language.

I agree that Hungarian is a separate language; indeed, it's not closely related to other Finno-Ugric languages. But there are enough parallels between Hungarian & other Finno-Ugric languages that classifying them into a family is not entirely out of the question; they share about 200 cognates which are not found outside of this grouping, along with syntactic, grammatical, & phonological commonalities.

Sagitta Hungarica
12-03-2011, 05:29 PM
I agree that Hungarian is a separate language; indeed, it's not closely related to other Finno-Ugric languages. But there are enough parallels between Hungarian & other Finno-Ugric languages that classifying them into a family is not entirely out of the question; they share about 200 cognates which are not found outside of this grouping, along with syntactic, grammatical, & phonological commonalities.

Hungarian has more in common to German, Latin, Slavic, even Turkic languages than to the Finno-Ugric ones, and still the distance is very big to all of them. It is more probable that the Uralic tribes who are classified in this family loaned cognates from proto-Magyar. Anyway, one correct theory is impossible to be ever verified 100% regarding the Magyar language.

HungAryan
12-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Hey, listen to this...

How does it sound to you? :)

es1cldQIUKI

Jerry
12-15-2011, 05:00 PM

It's not an obsolete theory, and Hungarian is not closer to indo-european languages than to Finnish as you falsely claim here.

I can easily hear the similarity when I hear hungarian, and when I've visited Budapest many people were confused when we were speaking Finnish because at first they thought it was Hungarian... And especially when you hear a song in Hungarian, you have to be deaf not to understand the similarity in language

Also: as I work for a company which has many Hungarians, it has been interesting to find out that even the Hungarian accent in English is very similar to the (stereotypical) Finnish accent

Hungarian sounds very nice, as and as said I can definitely spot the similarities. Sagitta Hungarica is the first Hungarian I meet who somehow wants to distance from Finns by claiming that the langugage has no similarity. All Finns are very sympathetic towards Hungarians because of this language link, no Eastern-Europeans come even close in how liked they are by Finns.

Padre Organtino
12-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Sounds quite close to Slavic ones in terms of intonation. And there's something slightly reminiscent of Finnish about it.

HungAryan
12-15-2011, 05:08 PM
It's not an obsolete theory, and Hungarian is not closer to indo-european languages than to Finnish as you falsely claim here.

I can easily hear the similarity when I hear hungarian, and when I've visited Budapest many people were confused when we were speaking Finnish because at first they thought it was Hungarian... And especially when you hear a song in Hungarian, you have to be deaf not to understand the similarity in language

I've heard the Finnish language many times, and it does NOT sound like Hungarian at all.
Hungarian: A zsidók a balszerencsénk, ki kell irtanunk a zsidókat!
Finnish: Juutalaiset ovat meidän epäonnea, meidän täytyy tuhota juutalaiset!
English: The Jews are our misfortune, we must exterminate the jews!
Polish: Żydzi są naszym nieszczęściem, musimy eksterminacji Żydów!

Hungarian is a Language Isolate, not related to any language speaken today.

Äike
12-15-2011, 05:10 PM

...and English doesn't sound much like Hindi.

Hungarians are from a completely opposite branch of the Finno-Ugric language family if compared to Estonians/Finns. It's like comparing the Irish and the Indians.

English and Hindi have more similar vocabulary than Estonian/Finnish does with Hungarian, as far as I know.

The theory isn't obsolete, Hungarian is just veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery distantly related to languages like Estonian and Finnish. It's like comparing English and Hindi, if drawing parallels with the Indo-European languages.

Äike
12-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Overall, Hungarian has a very Eastern-European/Slavic sound to my ears and I don't find the language beautiful, rather the contrary.

Jerry
12-15-2011, 05:15 PM
I've heard the Finnish language many times, and it does NOT sound like Hungarian at all.
Hungarian: A zsidók a balszerencsénk, ki kell irtanunk a zsidókat!
Finnish: Juutalaiset ovat meidän epäonnea, meidän täytyy tuhota juutalaiset!
English: The Jews are our misfortune, we must exterminate the jews!
Polish: Żydzi są naszym nieszczęściem, musimy eksterminacji Żydów!

Hungarian is a Language Isolate, not related to any language speaken today.

Most of Hungarians and Finns think it sounds, albeit of course it's a very distant relatiionship, but Finnish is distant from almost all languages anyways so here it's close in comparison. I won't comment on your extremely offensive quotes, don't ever use my language for saying something like that.

You are just an exception, being somekind of weird ultranationalistic Hungarian (prob teenager based on your view of the world). Your opinion is marginal, and you should be proud to be language brothers with us, as said we are very sympathetical towards Hungarians as well (and I mean normal people here)

Lithium
12-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Karl, you have to face the facts. Hungarian and Estonian language are related because they are from the same branch. I know it's not really Nordic so take it easy :D

HungAryan
12-15-2011, 05:26 PM
I won't comment on your extremely offensive quotes, don't ever use my language for saying something like that.

LOL
Did I offend you? :D
I bet you are a Jew, then.

Die Juden sind unsere Unglücke! Es ist Zeit für Rache! Wir müssen die Juden ausrotten! Juden Raus!

You are just an exception, being somekind of weird ultranationalistic Hungarian (prob teenager based on your view of the world). Your opinion is marginal, and you should be proud to be language brothers with us, as said we are very sympathetical towards Hungarians as well (and I mean normal people here)

I never said I have any problems with Finns.
Karelia belongs to Finland.

Jerry
12-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Yes, nazi sympathy offends me, even though I'm not jewish. I dislike zionism and the politics of the modern state of Israel, but the atrocities of WWII are not a joke to me.

Karelia is lost and forgotten. Unfortunately it has become pure crap in 70 years, and taking it back would be an unbelievable economic burden and extremely stupid decision in this economy. No serious politician considers that option, but of course some parties still wave that flag for populism and getting votes from somoe old nostalgics.

Hurrem sultana
12-15-2011, 05:35 PM
I don't speak hungarian or finnish but to me they sound very similar in how they sound

Äike
12-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Karl, you have to face the facts. Hungarian and Estonian language are related because they are from the same branch. I know it's not really Nordic so take it easy :D

What?

Swedish is related to Hindi and that's not even European, but Southern-Asian.

The Indo-European and Finno-Ugric language groups have a wide array of different branches.

People who think that all Finno-Ugric languages are the same might as well try speaking Dutch to a random Indian person next to the Ganges river.

Äike
12-15-2011, 05:46 PM
I don't speak hungarian or finnish but to me they sound very similar in how they sound

You have to be kidding? Hungarian sounds more similar to Italian or the Slavic languages than to Estonian/Finnish, at least to my Finnic ears.

Just listen to it. It's so foreign and completely different that it makes my head hurt, like many Slavic languages.

Sagitta Hungarica
12-15-2011, 05:53 PM

Also: as I work for a company which has many Hungarians, it has been interesting to find out that even the Hungarian accent in English is very similar to the (stereotypical) Finnish accent

Hungarian sounds very nice, as and as said I can definitely spot the similarities. Sagitta Hungarica is the first Hungarian I meet who somehow wants to distance from Finns by claiming that the langugage has no similarity. All Finns are very sympathetic towards Hungarians because of this language link, no Eastern-Europeans come even close in how liked they are by Finns.

Finns are one of my most liked nationality on Earth, but honestly, I don't hear much resemblance with Finnish, when I listen to your language. Sometimes I have mistaken Swedish, Portuguese, Icelandic for Hungarian (even though none of them are related even remotely to our language). But Finnish is a beautiful language, and it reminds me somehow of modern Greek actually, which on the other hand isn't very beautiful sounding.

Hurrem sultana
12-15-2011, 05:54 PM
You have to be kidding? Hungarian sounds more similar to Italian or the Slavic languages than to Estonian/Finnish, at least to my Finnic ears.

Just listen to it. It's so foreign and completely different that it makes my head hurt, like many Slavic languages.

i said in sound,did not say you can understand eachother

if you speak finnic you can never be truly objective,because you can not know how finnic sounds to foreigners and how hungarian :)

i am of slavic origin,and hungarian doesnt sound close to it..but then again,i dont know maybe to a stranger it does

Sagitta Hungarica
12-15-2011, 06:01 PM
...and English doesn't sound much like Hindi.

Hungarians are from a completely opposite branch of the Finno-Ugric language family if compared to Estonians/Finns. It's like comparing the Irish and the Indians.

English and Hindi have more similar vocabulary than Estonian/Finnish does with Hungarian, as far as I know.

The theory isn't obsolete, Hungarian is just veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery distantly related to languages like Estonian and Finnish. It's like comparing English and Hindi, if drawing parallels with the Indo-European languages.

Then Estonians are Uralic people also? :rolleyes:

Äike
12-15-2011, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=bosnian;625999]i said in sound,did not say you can understand eachother]/QUOTE]

So was I. I can't understand Finnish, but it sounds very similar to Estonian.

Hungarian doesn't sound like Estonian/Finnish, because it is from a completely different branch. It sound like Estonian/Finnish is as possible as Hindi sounding like German.

HungAryan
12-15-2011, 06:02 PM
The Finnish language lacks the SH, ZH, J/DZH and TSH/TCH sounds, and all of them are vital for the Hungarian language.
The SH sounds occurs even more frequently than the S sound in Hungarian.

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/8913/hungarian1.png
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6581/finnish.png

Sagitta Hungarica
12-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Hey, listen to this...

How does it sound to you? :)

es1cldQIUKI

This poem is from the 15th century, and it is identical to Hungarian spoken today. As a comparison people which have English as mother tongue need to use a dictionary to understand Shakespeare properly, who written even after Balassi Bálint.

Äike
12-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Then Estonians are Uralic people also? :rolleyes:

The Proto Finno-Ugric homeland is in Eastern-Europe, the Volga river area, west of the Urals. Where do you think that we, Finnics, are from then?

Hungarians have a different origin than real Finno-Ugrians (Finnics) do, though. You just speak a language that's from the Ugric branch of Finno-Ugric.

Jerry
12-15-2011, 06:06 PM
The Finnish language lacks the SH, ZH, J/DZH and TSH/TCH sounds, and all of them are vital for the Hungarian language.
The SH sounds occurs even more frequently than the S sound in Hungarian.
]

This is true ^^ I didn't say it was closely related (like Estonian) or very similar. I just said it was somewhat similar sounding and I have science (prevailing theory) to back my opinion.

Many people think Hungarian and Finnish sound a bit similar, including me, other Finns and Hungarians. But I can accept that some people think it doesn't sound similar at all, no biggie. But in case this desire to separate the languages derives from some strange ultranationalistic "greater-Hungary with its unique isolate language" thinking, I find it amusing.

Caeruleus
12-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Sq85jb3e9o0

hungarian language sample :D

now after you've seen the video can someone tell me what was the temperature in Budapest !? :)

HungAryan
12-15-2011, 06:09 PM
But in case this desire to separate the languages derives from some strange ultranationalistic "greater-Hungary with its unique isolate language" thinking, I find it amusing.

First your idiotic anti-nazi propaganda, then your disagreement with Greater Hungary?! :rolleyes:
So much for Finnish-Hungarian "friendship"...

We don't need "friends" who disagree with our territorial claims.
Germans, Poles and Croats support our territorial claims on Vojvodina, Transylvania, Transcarpathia and Northern Hungary ("Slovakia"),

Sagitta Hungarica
12-15-2011, 06:12 PM
This is true ^^ I didn't say it was closely related (like Estonian) or very similar. I just said it was somewhat similar sounding and I have science (prevailing theory) to back my opinion.

Many people think Hungarian and Finnish sound a bit similar, including me, other Finns and Hungarians. But I can accept that some people think it doesn't sound similar at all, no biggie. But in case this desire to separate the languages derives from some strange ultranationalistic "greater-Hungary with its unique isolate language" thinking, I find it amusing.

There are way too few similarities to include Hungarian in a language family with Finnish. The overwhelming differences between the two languages make them independent from one another. You are being a bit paranoid about labeling us as mere "Great Hungary ultranationalists".

Jerry
12-15-2011, 06:18 PM
First your idiotic anti-nazi propaganda, then your disagreement with Greater Hungary?! :rolleyes:

Germans, Poles and Croats support our territorial claims on Vojvodina, Transylvania, Transcarpathia and Northern Hungary ("Slovakia"),

I don't know anything about your "territorial claims", and I have no opinion whatsoever with any Greater Hungary ambitions because I'm unfortunately not knowledgeable enough of the history behind this. I only know (before your posts) that there are ethnic Hungarians in Romania adn Slovakia so I assume this has got to do with this fact.. but I don't want to comment on this thing, it's not my place at all..

The only thing I meant is that because you are somehow obsessed with this Greater Hungary ideology, you have a desire to somehow separate the Hungarian lanugage from the Finnish one - to make it more unique when it's not related to any other etc etc.

Sagitta Hungarica
12-15-2011, 06:21 PM

Speak in your name. Nobody is obliged to support our demands and our national cause, if a foreigner supports our demands, than the better. However our amiable attitude towards historically friendly nations shouldn't be determined by "who is with or against us in everything we demand". They have the right to support or not support Hungary.

Jerry
12-15-2011, 06:23 PM
And Finnish Karelia is very different from these regions, because no Finns were "left behind".. Huge majority were evacuated and the others have come back later.
Of course it's nostalgic to think about Viipuri in the Finnish times, but nowadays it's a strikingly Russian city with Russian people living there. That's why almost nobody anymore seriously wants Karelia back or anything.

However if it was still full of ethnic Finns we probably would feel very differently, so that' s why I can't really criticize anybody who wants parts like this annexed to their own country. But as said, I don't know the history, so I can't comment in this greater Hungary thing, in general I'm not against thinking of this kind though

Again, to summarize my thoughts: I like Hungarians, in general I'm favoring that Hungarian regions should be part of Hungary (when it's as simple as that) but I feel distanced to ultranationalism if it has some agenda which I assume in this distancing of the languages.

HungAryan
12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
I don't know anything about your "territorial claims", and I have no opinion whatsoever with any Greater Hungary ambitions because I'm unfortunately not knowledgeable enough of the history behind this. I only know (before your posts) that there are ethnic Hungarians in Romania adn Slovakia so I assume this has got to do with this fact.. but I don't want to comment on this thing, it's not my place at all..

Transylvania, Northern Hungary ("Slovakia"), Transcarpathia (South-Western part of modern-day Ukaine) and Vojvodina (Northern part of present-day Serbia) were all parts of Hungary before 1920.
And yes, the presence of ethnic Hungarians also has things to do with it.

The only thing I meant is that because you are somehow obsessed with this Greater Hungary ideology and to be frank, the past, you have a desire to somehow separate the Hungarian lanugage from the Finnish one - to make it more unique when it's not related to any other etc etc.

So what?
You don't even support our territorial claims + you hate nazis.
You are far more problematic then we are.
Yes, we Hungarian nationalists are Nazi symphasizers. What are you going to do about it?
Your Finns fought on Germany's side in WW2. Remember the Winter War?

Sagitta Hungarica
12-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Transylvania, Northern Hungary ("Slovakia"), Transcarpathia (South-Western part of modern-day Ukaine) and Vojvodina (Northern part of present-day Serbia) were all parts of Hungary before 1920.

So what?
Yes, we Hungarian nationalists are Nazi symphasizers. What are you going to do about it?

Again, please don't speak in all our name. Most patriots I know don't have a very good opinion about the Nazis at all.

HungAryan
12-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Again, please don't speak in all our name. Most patriots I know don't have a very good opinion about the Nazis at all.

We have historical friendship with Germany.
Thus, Hitler actually gave us some land back. Unfortunately not everything we wanted, but still better than nothing.
Also, attempting to solve the Jewish problem was one of the best attributes of the Nazis.

Jerry
12-15-2011, 06:36 PM

So what?

you hate nazis.
Of course I hate ethnic cleansing and mass murder of an ethnicity, like every sane person does.

Nazi symphasizers. What are you going to do about it?
What am I going to do about it? Nothing. I'm not responsible of what other people think and I'm not in some kind of crusade to fight to erase all thinking I consider bad,twisted or unacceptable from the world.

I have a tricky relationship to Nazi Germany, in WWII , like many Finns. And don't forget that we also fought against them in the Lapland War after the alliance.

But yes, as much as I hate all the atrocities that they committed, I still have to be happy they allied with us. Otherwise we would have lost clearly to the Soviets. It was a cold political and not an ideological decision from us to ally with them, because nobody else helped! everybody turned their backs on Finland. So it's problematic.
But still: as I have already said earlier in another thread, Finnish Jews and Muslim Finnish tatars fought alongside all other Finns in our wars, and I commemorate them! Some Jews even got the nazi medal of honor which they ofc rejected. WWII united the Finnish nation (reds and whites who fought in civil war 20 years before against each other) and also all ethnicities,languages and religions of Finland back then.
Finland did not give any of our jews to nazis either, possibly some Russian pow's and that's a shame.

Äike
12-15-2011, 06:38 PM
There are way too few similarities to include Hungarian in a language family with Finnish. The overwhelming differences between the two languages make them independent from one another. You are being a bit paranoid about labeling us as mere "Great Hungary ultranationalists".

Hungarian is definitely descend from the proto Finno-Ugric languages.

Can't you be descended from the Asiatic Huns while speaking an European (Finno-Ugric) language at the same time?

HungAryan
12-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Can't you be descended from the Asiatic Huns while speaking an European (Finno-Ugric) language at the same time?

The Huns were white.

DJ6WHqBmPfM
bUsU3w11Fzg

Äike
12-15-2011, 06:42 PM
The Huns were white.

DJ6WHqBmPfM
bUsU3w11Fzg

Do you descend from the Huns?

Arrow Cross
12-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Most of them I know, however, recognize the inherent legitimacy of National Socialism in the Hungarian national spirit. Even those who prefer a more moderate approach at least tolerate the Third Reich's legacy, and are outright sympathetic to the Arrow Cross Movement and its ideals.

See: http://kuruc.info/, the inofficial media organ of Jobbik.

Sagitta Hungarica
12-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Hungarian is definitely descend from the proto Finno-Ugric languages.

Mind that Hungarian is the largest so-called Finn-Ugric language, having twice the speakers of any other so-called Finn-Ugric speaking nations. Maybe it should be called Hungari languages, or something like that. Magyars never had contact with Finns throughout history. We most likely formed near the Caspian Sea and the Caucasus Mountains, quite a distance from Northern Europe and the Urals.

Sagitta Hungarica
12-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Most of them I know, however, recognize the inherent legitimacy of National Socialism in the Hungarian national spirit. Even those who prefer a more moderate approach at least tolerate the Third Reich's legacy, and outright sympathetic to the Arrow Cross Movement and its ideals.

See: http://kuruc.info/, the inofficial media organ of Jobbik.

Obviously we have different circles of acquaintances.

Sagitta Hungarica
12-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Do you descend from the Huns?

Most early documents from different sources mention that Magyars were Huns. Also our earliest documents speak of the relatedness to Huns. It cannot be proven for sure, but I doubt so many Medieval chronicle writers lied about the origins of Hungarians deliberately.

Jerry
12-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Mind that Hungarian is the largest so-called Finn-Ugric language, having twice the speakers of any other so-called Finn-Ugric speaking nations. Maybe it should be called Hungari languages, or something like that. Magyars never had contact with Finns throughout history. We most likely formed near the Caspian Sea and the Caucasus Mountains, quite a distance from Northern Europe and the Urals.

It's true that in all probablity we have no ethnic similarity or common "heimland". However we have this kind of strange linguistic kinship (maybe debatable then, but still largely dominant theory) and this connection has made us feel very close to Hungarians and vice versa even though we live in very different parts of Europe. I think this is a very special relationship and I think it's only a positive one.

Äike
12-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Mind that Hungarian is the largest so-called Finn-Ugric language, having twice the speakers of any other so-called Finn-Ugric speaking nations. Maybe it should be called Hungari languages, or something like that.

All Northern-European ethnicities have fewer people, if compared to more southern ethnicities. Life in the far north is more difficult than warm and hospitable Central-Europe.

Magyars never had contact with Finns throughout history. We most likely formed near the Caspian Sea and the Caucasus Mountains, quite a distance from Northern Europe and the Urals.

...and the Swedes have never had contact with the Indians through history, what's your point? The Swedes and the Indians still descend from the same Central-Asian homeland.

Sagitta Hungarica
12-15-2011, 07:25 PM
It's true that in all probablity we have no ethnic similarity or common "heimland". However we have this kind of strange linguistic kinship (maybe debatable then, but still largely dominant theory) and this connection has made us feel very close to Hungarians and vice versa even though we live in very different parts of Europe. I think this is a very special relationship and I think it's only a positive one.

Yes, I believe this is a one-in-a-case occurrence in world history, where two nations which never meat, because of large intellectual involvement happen to feel large sympathy and even kinship to one another. However in the case of Hungary, this theory always had strong political nature, meaning, it was used by Marxists and liberals to denature the knowledge of Hungarians about their true origins, and about their true history. Even today mostly libtards and leftists sustain the Finn-Ugric theory with religious fanaticism, while Nationalists feel totally estranged by it, and by its scientific validity.

Sagitta Hungarica
12-15-2011, 07:32 PM
All Northern-European ethnicities have fewer people, if compared to more southern ethnicities. Life in the far north is more difficult than warm and hospitable Central-Europe.

...and the Swedes have never had contact with the Indians through history, what's your point? The Swedes and the Indians still descend from the same Central-Asian homeland.

If you take the Indoeuropean language family as granted. But there are massive loopholes in it too, as in the Finn-Ugric language family. But even you realize how ridiculous that statement sounds.

There always existed a strong status-quo in the field of linguistics, new theories, no matter how many evidences they bring, they are dismissed easily by the "scientific establishment". I personally never take any information for granted, even if it has written "scientifically approved" all over it. Give it some time, and I wouldn't be surprised if both these theories will be refuted or reformulated eventually.

Guapo
12-16-2011, 02:21 AM
It does sound Asian though.. in some way.

It's Turkic/Altaic actually

vRsyyBFcHYQ

Sagitta Hungarica
12-16-2011, 02:04 PM
It's Turkic/Altaic actually

vRsyyBFcHYQ

Can you be more explicit?

Guapo
12-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Can you be more explicit?

I think she meant the pronounciation of the vowels.

Tony
12-16-2011, 03:43 PM
A bizarre mix of chinese and slavic, sometimes it feels like they're talkin' in reverse mode.