PDA

View Full Version : Do the Welsh look more similar to the English or the Irish?

Oliver109
09-06-2021, 05:49 PM
I am not sure if this topic has been covered on here before in a thread but i think it is a good question, in my view they are sort of intermediate between the English and Irish, maybe even more similar to the Irish, both the Welsh and the Irish have higher frequencies of red hair, pale skin, CM types are also more common in both nations which may explain why many professional rugby players have heritage from those nations. I will say that the Irish have a more distinct look than the Welsh but both nations seem to have quite a few resemblances with one another, it would probably be harder to tell apart a group of people from Swansea and Cork than a group of people from Swansea and Essex.

Norb
09-06-2021, 06:09 PM
the Welsh look nothing like Germanic English (5-10%) but are very similar to the rest of the population of England (90%) 'Celtic'/'Breton'/'MED' and 'Roman' looking people..

JamesBond007
09-06-2021, 06:13 PM
The English more specifically the English in Cornwall/Devonshire and perhaps the midlands. The difference between the British and Irish are more mediterranean-like or Atlantid types, difficult to isolate in Ireland, and more Germanic types (who don't look at all Irish) the Welsh lean more towards the former. I'm about 40% or 50% Welsh with the rest Germanic and I say I can pass in Cornwall/Devonshire and perhaps Argyll-Bhute Scotland (not sure). If you take Iron age Celts with Brunn that is the Irish. East England is slightly more Anglo-Saxon than Wales, Scotland, and the rest of England (there is large overlap). For instance someone from East England is likely to 38% Angle-Saxon on average with a large spread and the Scottish and Welsh average 30% Angle-Saxon on average with large spread. Irish might have some viking from the Normans and Scots etc... but they are not British and don't look British by and large. One shouldn't underestimate the significance of being 38% or 40% Angle-Saxon, though, it means that the East English are somewhat more related to the Dutch than the Iron Age Celts while Scots and Welsh are slightly more related to the Iron Age Celts.

Oliver109
09-06-2021, 06:18 PM
The English more specifically the English in Cornwall/Devonshire and perhaps the midlands. The difference between the British and Irish are more mediterranean-like or Atlantid types, difficult to isolate in Ireland, and more Germanic types (who don't look at all Irish) the Welsh lean more towards the former. I'm about 40% or 50% Welsh with the rest Germanic and I say I can pass in Cornwall/Devonshire and perhaps Argyll-Bhute Scotland (not sure). If you take Iron age Celts with Brunn that is the Irish. East England is slightly more Anglo-Saxon than Wales, Scotland, and the rest of England (there is large overlap). For instance someone from East England is likely to 38% Angle-Saxon on average with a large spread and the Scottish and Welsh average 30% Angle-Saxon on average with large spread. Irish might have some viking from the Normans and Scots etc... but they are not British and don't look British by and large. One shouldn't underestimate the significance of being 38% or 40% Angle-Saxon, though, it means that the East English are somewhat more related to the Dutch than the Iron Age Celts while Scots and Welsh are slightly more related to the Iron Age Celts.

Good point, maybe i should have said more similar to the eastern English or Irish in my post but i would say they are by far more similar to the western and north western English, though many western parts of England i think are more Germanic, one must not underestimate the significant Germanic components especially in the middle and upper classes of the west country who form a significant part of the population there.

JamesBond007
09-06-2021, 07:14 PM
Good point, maybe i should have said more similar to the eastern English or Irish in my post but i would say they are by far more similar to the western and north western English, though many western parts of England i think are more Germanic, one must not underestimate the significant Germanic components especially in the middle and upper classes of the west country who form a significant part of the population there.

True, but I think people underestimate the amount of Iron Age Celtic in the British and lowland countries in general they figure because the culture and language is Germanic that it must mean the people are genetically 100% Germanic. The reality is most British people are a mix of Celtic and Germanic leaning more towards the former. The Iron Age Celts looked more like North Atlantids and when you mix that with Frankish Germanic it gives rise to the Keltic nordic types which is kind of the average type of the British isles. Different kinds of Germanic tribes mixed with the ancient Iron Age Celtic component gives rise to different phenotypes. My Germanic admixture is Swaefas/Suebi, Angle-Saxon and Viking and I don't look keltic nordic as consequence , because it is not Frankish, but in reality these oldschool anthropological types are kind of pseudo-science and not just because of post WWII political correctness but because of reality. I have been classified atlantid with minor dinaric but that is somewhat meangingless as someone who is French with the same classification is not going to look British/Benelux and it seems to indicate I have 0% Germanic admixture. Except in some cases where people are 100% Anglo-Saxon looking (some people mostly in East Anglia) it pseudo-scientifical to say a Brit who does not look like that is non-Germanic because they are more Western looking.

Sorry, to talk about myself here but I used myself as an example because I'm most familiar with own genetics kind of thing.

The Irish just look different and like the Welsh have more of primitive tendency towards subhuman prognathism compared to the English and Scots and the Irish can have other very ethnic looking features when means they can't blend in any other country on earth for instance they can hooded eyelids, thin upper lip, freckles, big chin etc... all this is due to not having as much Germanic admixture as the British it is not really so much about hair and eye color per se , though, I guess the ideal Englishman is blonde that is not the mousy brown average reality and of course one can find blackish hair in Cornwall/Devonshire etc.. in certain percentages etc..

The Welsh could blend in Cornwall and Bretonny France, some English can pass Denmark and the Benelux, some Scots can pass in Iceland, Norway and Northern England, in I can blend in certain parts of Western Britain and the Benelux but the Irish ? The common classes can't pass as anything but Irish and it is not really about 'Germanic coloring' or that kind of Nazi poster child like nonsense but more to do with ethnic features kind of like the Ashkenazi Jews.

Voskos
09-06-2021, 07:15 PM
In between probably.

Arūnas
09-06-2021, 07:19 PM
the brood of Paleo Atlantids, so to Turks

Oliver109
09-06-2021, 07:29 PM
True, but I think people underestimate the amount of Iron Age Celtic in the British and lowland countries in general they figure because the culture and language is Germanic that it must mean the people are genetically 100% Germanic. The reality is most British people are a mix of Celtic and Germanic leaning more towards the former. The Iron Age Celts looked more like North Atlantids and when you mix that with Frankish Germanic it gives rise to the Keltic nordic types which is kind of the average type of the British isles. Different kinds of Germanic tribes mixed with the ancient Iron Age Celtic component gives rise to different phenotypes. My Germanic admixture is Swaefas/Suebi, Angle-Saxon and Viking and I don't look keltic nordic as consequence , because it is not Frankish, but in reality these oldschool anthropological types are kind of pseudo-science and not just because of post WWII political correctness but because of reality. I have been classified atlantid with minor dinaric but that is somewhat meangingless as someone who is French with the same classification is not going to look British/Benelux and it seems to indicate I have 0% Germanic admixture. Except in some cases where people are 100% Anglo-Saxon looking (some people mostly in East Anglia) it pseudo-scientifical to say a Brit who does not look like that is non-Germanic because they are more Western looking.

Sorry, to talk about myself here but I used myself as an example because I'm most familiar with own genetics kind of thing.

The Irish just look different and like the Welsh have more of primitive tendency towards subhuman prognathism compared to the English and Scots and the Irish can have other very ethnic looking features when means they can't blend in any other country on earth for instance they can hooded eyelids, thin upper lip, freckles, big chin etc... all this is due to not having as much Germanic admixture as the British it is not really so much about hair and eye color per se , though, I guess the ideal Englishman is blonde that is not the mousy brown average reality and of course one can find blackish hair in Cornwall/Devonshire etc.. in certain percentages etc..

The Welsh could blend in Cornwall and Bretonny France, some English can pass Denmark and the Benelux, some Scots can pass in Iceland, Norway and Northern England, in I can blend in certain parts of Western Britain and the Benelux but the Irish ? The common classes can't pass as anything but Irish and it is not really about 'Germanic coloring' or that kind of Nazi poster child like nonsense but more to do with ethnic features kind of like the Ashkenazi Jews.

The Irish i think have more regular features than the Welsh who share the British tendancy towards wonky facial features i think, though the Welsh do give off quite CM vibes which does often remind me of the Irish, think of Welsh people who are famous and many have those robust Irish features while the English tend more towards fineness especially the eastern English. I have not been to Britanny but to me they just look like the French from pictures i have seen online, are they that different from say Norman French or Champagne French?

Spoke
09-06-2021, 07:33 PM
Welsh people are more dark haired and Mediterranean looking than most Italians. This Welsh guy would never be able to say he's a native of the north majority of Italy. They would all question him(including people on here) and say he must be foreign or mixed or be from the far south while in Wales nobody would question him

https://collectionimages.npg.org.uk/large/mw147882/Ryan-Giggs.jpg

Oliver109
09-06-2021, 07:37 PM
Welsh people are more dark haired and Mediterranean looking than most Italians. This Welsh guy would never be able to say he's a native of the north majority of Italy. They would all question him(including people on here) and say he must be foreign or mixed or be from the far south while in Wales nobody would question him

The Welsh have a reputation for looking very exotic, though i would say that such types form maybe no more than 10% of the population and even then they are more likely to be people with brown hair and eyes but fairly light skin, the average Picard or Norman from France looks far more exotic than your average Welshman who will i think share more of a family resemblance with the British in general.

Tooting Carmen
09-06-2021, 07:51 PM

Bad example - Ryan Giggs is part-Sierra Leonean, and it is more obvious in some of his relatives.

Impaler
09-06-2021, 07:51 PM

Ryan Giggs has a grandafther from Sierra Leone.

Tooting Carmen
09-06-2021, 07:52 PM
Possibly a bit more like the Irish.

JamesBond007
09-06-2021, 08:08 PM
Possibly a bit more like the Irish.

Maybe, if the Irish looked like Andrea Corr and Pierce Brosnan on average but in reality these are minority types in Ireland that are more common in Britain. That is why retarded Americans have the saying 'black Irish' but not 'black welsh' and 'black British'. The Irish on the whole look more like an Iron-Age-Celt+Brunn admixture and Brunn is extremely important to their self image or national identity unlike in Wales.

Kess
12-03-2023, 10:14 PM

Ryan Giggs have black ancestry.

Roy
12-04-2023, 12:22 AM
More like the English.

Oliver109
12-04-2023, 12:27 AM
More like the English.

Having seen many Welsh threads on here curtesy of TC i will say that there is certainly more similarity and overlap with the English though perhaps 20% or so pass better in Ireland.

Oliver109
12-04-2023, 12:56 AM
Would you say the same about the Scottish, Oliver?

Scottish look more Irish than the Welsh though i would say that they are marginally closer to the English.

Oliver109
12-04-2023, 01:09 AM
When I think of unique Welsh faces like Matthew Rhys, Mali Harries or Mike Phillips, I don't think they pass particularly well in Ireland or England.

Some people look quite distinctly Welsh though i would say that the Welsh have less distinctive looks than the Scots like you get off a train in Glasgow say and you see some people and think "they couldn't be from London or Birmingham"