PDA

View Full Version : Do You Believe in the Paranormal/Supernatural?

Sikeliot
08-15-2011, 03:16 AM
Multiple choice of course.

Curtis24
08-15-2011, 03:22 AM
Ghosts

As for superstitions, I believe that if you do good, good will come back to you, as to the reverse as well.

Boudica
08-15-2011, 03:28 AM
Good post :) I selected aliens, parallel universes, time travel, and ghosts. For aliens, I think that it is retarded to think that there is not life else where in a universe that is so large and unexplored. For parallel universes, many scientists are trying to prove their existence as we speak. For time travel, I definitely think that we will be able to develop that in the future. For ghosts, I'm not 100% sure about this, I think that ghosts are actually something different then what people think, perhaps people in a parallel universe or something of the sort. Who knows :)

Logan
08-15-2011, 03:28 AM
None of the ones listed.

askra
08-15-2011, 03:53 AM
i believe only in the aliens, because it's realistic that in a universe constituted by billions of galaxies could exist some planets with intelligent forms of life, like the earth, however i don't believe in the ufos or in the grey extraterrestrials that kidnap humans.

SilverKnight
08-15-2011, 04:08 AM
Illegal aliens ? http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/7701/illegalscrossingfence.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/illegalscrossingfence.jpg/)

E.T i'd say : 100%, seen UFOs and I'm sure we're not alone.
Ghosts : 50% they might exist but it's just another physical realm or energy form that we can't see.
Time Travel: 90%, very possible if we reach the speed of light.

Gratis
08-15-2011, 04:12 AM
How come the list doesn't include God/gods? :icon_cheesygrin:

Mercury
08-15-2011, 04:47 AM
Monsters (i.e. the Loch Ness monster)

Go to 8:40

pwIRxfgHP0o

Unfortunately Humanity has already discovered all of the cool animals on this planet. The famous cryptids are too large or too unrealistic to exist. Like the Loch Ness Monster is supposedly a dinosaur, why doesn't it surface to the air to breathe? Unless it evolved gills, which hasn't happened to any other marine tetrapod.

Bigfoot can be explained by feral apes that escaped from 19th century zoos in America. Or feral monkeys (some have even established a permanent settlement in the Everglades).

Ghosts

All the mysteries surrounding ghosts have been proven by science. Like orbs and that 'feeling of uneasiness' people get.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18828_the-creepy-scientific-explanation-behind-ghost-sightings.html

Aliens

Yeah, the Wow! Signal is pretty interesting. Something definitely has to be out there. Too bad UFOs (as in flying saucers) seem to all be of government origin.

I do believe in Time travel. But I wouldn't list it as something supernatural.

Lasituacion
08-15-2011, 04:47 AM
Why El chupacabras is not listed?

Sikeliot
08-15-2011, 05:02 AM
I'm interested to know what you have to say, so feel free to say it if you want to. I would find it informative if anything :) Not disruptive at all.

Pallantides
08-15-2011, 11:51 PM
The truth is out there!
JDZBgHBHQT8

Eldritch
08-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Well, if aliens or alternate universes exist, they aren't supernatural.

In fact anything that exists at all is by definition "natural". Whether we understand it or interpret it correctly is another thing.

Damião de Góis
08-16-2011, 12:37 AM
I believe in what i see. So far i haven't been lucky enough to see any "angels" or "werewolves", but i'm still waiting...

Mercury
08-16-2011, 01:18 AM
Strangest thing I saw was an odd bio luminescent creature at night. It staid in the air, flying, and was about the size of a House Sparrow bird. The creature was obviously too large to be a firefly, and it's light never stopped shining (fireflies only have short bursts of lights coming from them). It flew around the parking lot I was at, zooming in and out between cars and finally ascended far into the sky. I was thinking it could've been swamp gas, but I'm never witness swamp gas so I can't really be too sure. I wasn't near a swamp or anything, but I heard swamp gas can travel a pretty long distance.

It actually reminded me of these little creatures from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

http://media.wths.net/heimstead/pfisterr0629/Zelda%20Images/Navi.jpg

Svipdag
08-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Why is there no "None of the Above" category ?

"NEC SPE NEC METV" - Anon Y. Mous (16th century)

Stefan
08-19-2011, 06:24 PM
All of those except Monsters(which is too general of a word for me to give a clear answer), and superstitions are possibilities as natural phenomenon, only described as supernatural because of our lack of understanding. That isn't to say they exist or don't exist, just that we don't have enough information, nor might we ever, to determine an answer on the question of their existence. Now, through Physics, I believe Time Travel and Alternate Realities/Parallel Universes aren't only possible, but likely. Although how they're actually explained in theories isn't exactly the same as how they're portrayed in Science Fiction.

Aces High
08-19-2011, 06:39 PM
I have a friend in the UK who is the seventh son of a seventh daughter of a seventh daughter and whatever.
Anyway he comes from a family of Witches of old...or wiccans or whatever it is,and i have seen him do things that made the fucking hair on the back of my neck stand on end.
He says they are tricks and anyone can do it with practise,but anyway i dont know.....i just dont know.

Albion
08-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Ghosts (since I do wonder what becomes of all the energy contained in the brain).
Witches (I don't think they ever went away,I think there are remnants of past Pagan religions in Europe which have been lumped together as "Witchcraft". However a lot of the modern movement probably owes little to real witchcraft)
The black dog omen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_(ghost))
The Wild Hunt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hunt)

On the subject of this though, I've always thought Vampires and their appetite for blood might have some basis, wouldn't the blood basically contain compounds from the food people had eaten which would fuel the vampire?

Lasituacion
08-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Illegal aliens ? http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/7701/illegalscrossingfence.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/illegalscrossingfence.jpg/)

E.T i'd say : 100%, seen UFOs and I'm sure we're not alone.
Ghosts : 50% they might exist but it's just another physical realm or energy form that we can't see.
Time Travel: 90%, very possible if we reach the speed of light.

Suck a cock puto http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/images/faces/smiles/bottle.gif

Raskolnikov
08-20-2011, 04:38 AM
I believe that monster ghosts time travel from Mars to discretely place black cats in the paths of bystanders.

Loki
08-20-2011, 05:32 AM
Monsters (i.e. the Loch Ness monster):
Not really. I do believe some cryptids may still be out there, that science hasn't yet discovered. Like the yeti? Who knows. I want to believe. :) We have explored only tiny parts of the oceans in reality, considering its vastness. If any undiscovered monsters are still out there, they are likely to be at sea.

Ghosts
No, not at all. In my mind ghost-believing equals superstition. I have, however, once in a London house experienced strange phenomena with my partner at the time, but I'm not going to start believing in ghosts because of something I cannot explain.

Aliens
Yes. To think we are the alone in the universe is very arrogant and religious. Chances are good there are plenty of other life-forms in other star systems and galaxies.

Superstitions (i.e. throwing salt over your shoulder, don't walk under ladders)
No, not at all.

Time travel
No. It's scientifically an interesting idea, but I think more wishful thinking than reality.

Parallel universes
No. Science fiction.

Arrow Cross
08-20-2011, 06:35 AM
I think my own views pretty much reflect those of Loki, so I'm just going to check the appropriate boxes without any specific commentary.

Nevertheless, ("mainstream") cryptozoology and serious investigations into deep space and/or possible intelligent ET life are very fascinating subjects to follow with a layman's interest.

Groenewolf
08-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Multiple choice of course.

Then it becomes a question whether or one considers the options mentioned in the poll as supernatural. Also it would also imply that they can not be, if possible or existing and not explained as something else, proof of our incorrect/incomplete understanding of the world. But let's use the materialist philosophy that underlies our present world view.

Monsters : considering that the example of the Loch Ness creature is given, this one can not be seen as a supernatural phenomena. Whether one believes in the existence of such creatures or not. Therefor an invalid option.

Ghosts : explained as a non-corporeal being that is a surviving remainder of a death life form. This contradicts the materialist philosophy and can therefor be considered supernatural.

Aliens : does not contradict the materialist philosophy and therefor not supernatural.

Superstitions : Since there is no direct physical link between the act and the stated result, supernatural under the materialist philosophy. However whether or not something is considered a superstition has more to do how these acts/beliefs are viewed.

Time travel : Talked about this with an old friend of mine. And theoretically is possible, if one could survive entering a black hole. But that option is only good for fast forwarding to the future. Whether it is possible to travel back, is an other question. But as it stands not supernatural since in the modern folklore it is more linked with advanced technology then with supernatural events.

Parallel universes : Follows from an certain interpretation of quantum mechanics, so also an invalid poll option.

P-Chan
08-20-2011, 08:44 AM
aliens are not a supernatural phenomena!

UFOs can be....

Treffie
08-20-2011, 12:19 PM
According to my sources, Frenni-Fawr near me is one of the most haunted places in Britain.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/19/17/191718_99207f80.jpg

According to legend, it's one of the gateways to the netherworld - Annwn. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annwn)

Agrippa
08-20-2011, 02:24 PM
I think that extraterrestrial life exists, but I don't think that "Aliens visited out planet", at least not recently and there are no proofs for that.

Time travel too - seems to be highly unlikely going after what we can do, but that doesn't mean it must be impossible - probably.

I wouldn't call this things supernatural though and I don't really believe in it, but rather think about probabilities, likelihood.

Äike
08-20-2011, 02:27 PM
I believe that aliens exist, because the universe is limitless.

Amapola
08-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Monsters (i.e. the Loch Ness monster):
I do believe that there are weird creatures we don't know in unexplored places, but not necessarily "traditional" creatures related to a place for centuries like Nessie.

Ghosts
Hmmm, not in a Hallowen sense but yes I believe in spiritual life.

Aliens
Possibly. I had an UFO sighting, and it overcame physical laws as we know them, but I never say "I have seen an alien", just something I can't identify.

Superstitions (i.e. throwing salt over your shoulder, don't walk under ladders)
I don't believe in them, but by convention and tradition I do follow some.

Time travel
I don't know but I would love to.

Parallel universes
No.

Turkophagos
08-20-2011, 02:57 PM
I believe that aliens exist, because the universe is limitless.

Time is also unlimited too though. So, Aliens have existed or will exist for sure but it's almost impossible to live at the same time with us.

Arrow Cross
08-21-2011, 04:30 AM
aliens are not a supernatural phenomena!
I wouldn't be so sure if I were you...

Ilya.S
08-21-2011, 04:17 PM
I voted Aliens/Parallel universes/Time travel

However I must add that I'm not sure about the parallel universes, since science hasn't yet proven nor disproved their existence yet, as far as I know.

Time travel: I think it might be possible in the future but I'm not sure, anyway we all travel in time but only forward in not back.

And it's very likely that aliens exist, because the universe is so vast.

Loddfafner
08-21-2011, 04:51 PM
I believe in nations and peoples. I believe that European civilization has enough momentum to avert collapse.

Transmontano
10-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Why El chupacabras is not listed?

(I know this person is banned but I want to reply anyway)

Besides listing everything supernatural making an enormous list, Chupacabra is not supernatural but a real physical animal that has likely already been caught but caught dead and not alive.

Some experts say they are likely canine (mangey, possibly rabid or ferrell dogs and could be mixed with other types of canine) while others are clueless as to what it is.

The pictures I saw looked to me (superficially) like a weird looking dog, with a somewhat rodent like snout, long tail and long hind legs.

I've experienced things in my life, some that are very strange, but could probably be explained as being something other than supernatural. Weird things, though abd I'm not sure.

When it comes to things like demons & ghosts of dead people I believed it and was scared when I was little but not anymore. Some things still creep me out a little even though I don't believe in them.

Anyway "supernatural" is not very specific. What is supernatural could very well just be considered natural only that what is usually called supernatural is fantastic to most people and they see it as being above the natural.

Argyll
10-25-2011, 05:51 PM
I do. I have experienced paranormal/supernatural things many times in my life. What do you think about the supernatural?

Mordid
10-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Yes, i do. I've been able to see phenomena since I was a child. I even had a ghost friend when I was young. I think we as humans have just begun to scratch the surface of the universe and all the secrets it holds....*sleep*

arcticwolf
10-25-2011, 06:24 PM
It depends. As Mordid said we are just scratching the surface of understanding of what's real. A lot of things that used to be thought of as miracles we know now are natural phenomena. As far as what mind is and how it works, we don't know squat. We assume it's a function of the brain, or a soul etc. What if the mind is immaterial ( we assume matter is all there is ), what if it's not unified but a set of processes, what if.....? The point is mind may not be yet evolved to the point to understand all that it is capable of. In conclusion a lot of the things we think of nowadays as supernatural, paranormal, miracles etc may be the part of reality that we are still not able to understand. The old saying captures it best "Nothing is what it seems".

BanjaLuka
10-25-2011, 06:26 PM
I see dead people. :eek:

Mordid
10-25-2011, 06:31 PM
I see dead people. :eek:
Only when you fall asleep in graveyards.

Piparskeggr
10-25-2011, 06:40 PM
A lot of the poetry I have written is inspired by what I perceive as supra-natural phenomena.

Scrapple
10-25-2011, 06:49 PM
There may be unexplained phenomena but I think they are of the natural world and can be explained using natrual laws.

I personally have never experienced anything supernatural/paranormal.

BanjaLuka
10-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Only when you fall asleep in graveyards.

I actually see City Graveyard from my apartment window :eek:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Banja_Luka_sa_Novog_groblja.jpg

and the City Graveyard's tenants can see me :eek:

Leliana
10-25-2011, 07:06 PM
I believe in some Christian teachings and that's like believing in something supernatural I guess.

Saturni
10-25-2011, 07:13 PM
I think the term "supernatural" isn't a particularly good one to describe certain phenomenon.

What is called supernatural are just things that we currently have no explanation for. This doesn't mean that we'll never understand them. It just means at our current evolutionary/technological levels, we simply can not comprehend certain naturally occurring phenomenon.

The Alchemist
10-25-2011, 07:14 PM
NOPE.

Dead Eye
02-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Go to 8:40

pwIRxfgHP0o

Unfortunately Humanity has already discovered all of the cool animals on this planet. The famous cryptids are too large or too unrealistic to exist. Like the Loch Ness Monster is supposedly a dinosaur, why doesn't it surface to the air to breathe? Unless it evolved gills, which hasn't happened to any other marine tetrapod.

Bigfoot can be explained by feral apes that escaped from 19th century zoos in America. Or feral monkeys (some have even established a permanent settlement in the Everglades).

All the mysteries surrounding ghosts have been proven by science. Like orbs and that 'feeling of uneasiness' people get.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18828_the-creepy-scientific-explanation-behind-ghost-sightings.html

Yeah, the Wow! Signal is pretty interesting. Something definitely has to be out there. Too bad UFOs (as in flying saucers) seem to all be of government origin.

I do believe in Time travel. But I wouldn't list it as something supernatural.

Stories of Bigfoot are hundreds of years old.

Mercury
02-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Stories of Bigfoot are hundreds of years old.

Yes native Americans tell tales of bigfoot. Especially the more western tribes. I still think most sightings can be explained by some sort of feral ape or monkey that got released in the wild. Anyways I find it interesting the man from Survivorman Les Stroud has seen Bigfoot on multiple occasions:

7y5aO5XdgT0

Fc6hMfeOnSo

go to 22:00

Svipdag
02-03-2012, 02:10 AM
So, why is there no "None of the Above" option in the poll ? I have had no experiences which would lead me to accept the reality of the paranormal or supernatural .

My mother claimed to have seen ghosts and other unclassifiable apparitions, but I seem to be avoided by such phenomena. Perhaps I'm just too hard-headed and skeptical to be worth the trouble of trying to convince.

"Intellego ut credam" - Pope John Paul II

Vasconcelos
02-03-2012, 02:12 AM
I belive in alien life forms based on probability, and time travel (which is theoritecally possible in one direction)

Svipdag
02-03-2012, 02:41 AM
The past has happened. How can it "un-happen" ? Does this not imply that that the past is unchangeable ? Yet, if the past is unchangeable, then time travel is impossible.

Visiting the past would change it because YOU WEREN'T THERE or should I say "THEN" ? Just being there [or then] would change the past which cannot be changed.

There are too many paradoxes involved in time travel for it to be reasonable to expect it to work. One of them is a science fiction cliché . A man can't travel into the past and kill his own grandfather because he would never have existed to travel into the past in the first place.

No one can return to 44 BC and prevent the conspirators from assassinating Julius Cæsar without undoing 2056 years of history WHICH HAS HAPPENED AND CANNOT BE CHANGED.

The only way that a person could travel into the past would be if he/she
could be undetectable and could in no way interact with anything or anyone.

"Those who will learn nothing from history are doomed to repeat it."
George Santayana

Vasconcelos
02-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Yea, but "advancing into the future" (very unscientific way to put it, though) is possible if you reach ~c speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

Which is why I said once direction, and not both.

Odin
02-06-2018, 10:48 PM
Ghosts.

Sasuke
02-06-2018, 10:56 PM
I believe in all of the options available except for superstition because it's completely irrational and has no factual basis whatsoever for me to rely on it. However, all the other options have millions upon millions of eyewitnesses from all over the world who will always tell you about their personal paranormal experiences that are incredibly similar to the personal paranormal experiences of others whom they don't even know.

Marinus
02-06-2018, 11:09 PM
I don't think aliens and parallel universes fall into the supernatural bracket to be honest, BUT I think there must be life elsewhere in the universe.

brennus dux gallorum
02-06-2018, 11:55 PM
I will vote for aliens, but i do not consider it as something paranormal/supernatural

Bobby Martnen
02-08-2018, 08:16 AM
I believe in soul-body dualism and God, which some would consider supernatural.

I don't believe in any of the false superstitions in the poll, though.

brennus dux gallorum
02-08-2018, 10:52 AM
I believe in soul-body dualism and God, which some would consider supernatural.

I don't believe in any of the false superstitions in the poll, though.

Not even aliens?

Alessio
07-02-2018, 07:58 PM
I believe in only one real supernatural entity and that is God, who was even before everything that exists, thus all time, matter and space and natural laws that made life possible.

idioteque
07-02-2018, 08:04 PM
The supernatural and the possibility of life outside Earth, yes.

Larali
07-02-2018, 08:08 PM
I believe in multiple dimensions, out-of-body experiences, spirits, alternate life tracks, after-death communication, and multi-dimensional beings. Some or all of these I've had experiences with.

Tauromachos
07-02-2018, 08:11 PM
I believe in multiple dimensions, out-of-body experiences, spirits, alternate life tracks, after-death communication, and multi-dimensional beings. Some or all of these I've had experiences with.

So you have seen a multi-dimensional being?

Larali
07-02-2018, 08:12 PM
So you have seen a multi-dimensional being?

:D It would be hard to explain, but yeah.

Tauromachos
07-02-2018, 08:17 PM
:D It would be hard to explain, but yeah.

How does a multi-dimensional being look like?

Larali
07-02-2018, 08:20 PM
How does a multi-dimensional being look like?

I saw a UFO when I was 8, mentioned it a thread somewhere.

If that doesn't count, I've seen stuff that I think are ghosts, on occasion. I suppose that counts as a multi-dimensional being.

Methuselah
07-02-2018, 08:22 PM

Did you experience a sleep paralysis before having that out of body experience may i ask?

Larali
07-02-2018, 08:23 PM
Did you experience a sleep paralysis before having that out of body experience may i ask?

After. It's happened more than once.

Methuselah
07-02-2018, 08:26 PM
After. It's happened more than once.

Oh. It is indeed an interesting feeling. I had it once, i guess. Or something very close to it. Very crazy... But i didn't see anything, it wasn't some astral projection stuff.

Larali
07-02-2018, 08:27 PM
Oh. It is indeed an interesting feeling. I had it once, i guess. Or something very close to it. Very crazy... But i didn't see anything, it wasn't some astral projection stuff.

I couldn't move my arms or legs and the weirdest thing was, I felt like my nose was REALLY SMALL.

Methuselah
07-02-2018, 08:31 PM
I couldn't move my arms or legs and the weirdest thing was, I felt like my nose was REALLY SMALL.

What about after you got out of your body? Could you float or move? I had serious troubles navigating. :D

Larali
07-02-2018, 08:36 PM
What about after you got out of your body? Could you float or move? I had serious troubles navigating. :D

It happens in the middle of the night for me, so I just go back to sleep.

I think this happens to everybody and they just don't remember.

The first couple of times it happened, I had doubts about it being real. The third time-- no doubt it was real. I don't feel like talking about it here but it was real.

Weird stuff.

Methuselah
07-02-2018, 08:43 PM
It happens in the middle of the night for me, so I just go back to sleep.

I think this happens to everybody and they just don't remember.

The first couple of times it happened, I had doubts about it being real. The third time-- no doubt it was real. I don't feel like talking about it here but it was real.

Weird stuff.

I got you. Thanks for sharing Larali. I actually wanted to pm you first. But yeah. In my case it was very very real too. I used to get sleep paralyses for a really long time. I don't really know why, i don't have asthma but some sleeping time breathing issues may lead to it. But i never had OBE type of things before. It is pretty insane thing to experience...

Defiance
12-21-2018, 03:53 AM
What's the deal with dedicated atheists believing in aliens? Such a thing is, as of yet, unproven, and I was always led to believe that atheists are quite big on observable evidence. Furthermore, if the universe is so huge, perhaps it's not such a stretch to assume that God might be somewhere out there too?

Hypocrites.

Dragoon
12-21-2018, 04:13 AM
Ghosts
Aliens
Superstitions
Time travel
Parallel universes

Open to these. Not saying its real though.

Mystic
01-09-2019, 10:32 PM
I believe in ghosts and monsters, nature spirits and often things like UFO's.

murta
02-10-2019, 04:57 PM
I don't specifically believe in any paranormal, but neither do I deny the possibility that some unexplained experiences might not be due to some psychological condition.

Benyzero
02-10-2019, 05:07 PM
I like mystical stories, It's good to maintain the possibility that things beyond our reality could exist,but I view these theories with scepticism.

Creoda
02-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Monsters - no. Maybe some undiscovered species at the bottom of the oceans.
Ghosts - not really, but I don't dismiss the idea. Never been interested in them.
Aliens - I believe in intelligent aliens elsewhere. Have they visited/do they visit Earth? Possibly. Many interesting unexplained cases. Alien abductions? No.
Superstitions - no.
Time Travel - no
Paralell Universes - no idea.