PDA

View Full Version : Hindi words similar to European words

Breathe
10-11-2021, 12:45 AM
Over the years, I have noticed that there are lots of Hindi words that sound similar to English. What I’m trying to figure out is if the Hindi words derived from English during the British empire, or did the English words derive from Sanskrit since it’s a much older language. Maybe some words are just a coincidence.

Hindi l English

Me (Me/I)
Naam (Name)
Uppar (Up/Upstairs)
Ma (Mom)
Na/Nahi (No)
Tamatar (Tomato)
Dollat (Dollar/money/wealth)
Beytar (Better)
Kona (Corner)
Wah! (Wow!)
Darjan (Dozen)
Daraaz (Drawer)
Taana (Taunt)
Badnaam (To insult/make name bad)
Kamarband (Waist band)
Ant (End)
Kapre (Capri)
Patloon (Pantaloons)
Shakar (Sugar)

Spanish/Portuguese l Hindi

Tu (Tu)
Pantalones (Patloon)
Peso (Paise)
Camesa (Kameez)
Jabon (Sabun)
Naranja (Narangi)
Armario (Almari)

Numbers:

English l Hindi l Spanish

One (Ek) Uno
Two (Do) Dos
Three (Teen) Tres
Four (Chaar) Cuatros
Five (Paanch) Cinco
Six (Che) Seis
Seven (Saat) Siete
Eight (Aat) Ocho
Nine (Nau) Nueve
Ten (Dus) Diez

Dick
10-11-2021, 12:48 AM
Indo-European, buddy

NSXD60
10-11-2021, 01:20 AM
All well and good, but they are in sore need of a nominative "I", what with this me-meeing baby talk of theirs. Sanskrit has "aham" in case they're interested in improvement.

mashail
10-11-2021, 01:34 AM
Those worlds have Arabic origin and all arabic dialects use it (Pantalones>>pantalone, Camesa>> cames, Sabun, Shakar , Darjan>>darzan).

Hulu
10-11-2021, 01:35 AM
Albanian has emer (vowels sound like gender) for name. I wonder if it's similar to any language as it's different from the usual name (nomen). I see slavs have ime

FinalFlash
10-11-2021, 03:12 AM
I recognize some of these words.

Breathe
10-12-2021, 02:00 AM
Indo-European, buddy

It’s surprising some words have managed to stay some over thousands of years.

sean
10-14-2021, 09:30 AM
Over the years, I have noticed that there are lots of Hindi words that sound similar to English. What I’m trying to figure out is if the Hindi words derived from English during the British empire, or did the English words derive from Sanskrit since it’s a much older language. Maybe some words are just a coincidence.

Mere coincidence. Hindi-Farsi split from a common source language spoken just before 2,000 BC. Farsi and Hindi are actually more similar than English and Hindi.

Hindi/Urdu (and maybe other Indian languages) also borrow heavily from Persian or Arabic via Persian. The Persian language used by the Central Asian dynasties ruling India for the most part of the second millennium, and which served as a superstratum for the North Indian dialect continuum, had itself undergone a process of heavy borrowing from Arabic (which might also be considered a superstratum).

In everyday Hindi and Urdu: son is betaa – used all the time. The word is of Sanskrit etymology but has no Persian cognate (of course some dialects use putr, for which of course has a Persian cognate).

However, words like Asman (sky) and function words like "agar", "Roz" and "magar" have 100% Persian etymons. The same for adjectives like "khoob" and pronouns like "khud", Arabic lexical roots outnumber originally Persian lexical roots is due to the fact that terms for abstract concepts cross linguistically tend to be borrowed from superstratum languages, and in Muslim ruled societies the quintessential superstratum language is Arabic, regardless of whether or not there is an intermediary language (Persian in this case).

It also happens in Turkish, where Arabic lexical roots outnumber Persian ones, even though most of those very same Arabic loanwords were absorbed into the language via Persian, as evidenced by their phonological and semantic evolution (Turkic tribes were introduced to Muslim culture through contact with Persians rather than with Arabs).

Also, the numbering in German is more closer to Sanskrit in the sense that the units digit comes before the tens digit when speaking.

So, 21 = einundzwanzig (ein + zwanzig) [und = and].

In English and almost all other branches like Romance, Slavic etc. they come in the opposite order.

So, 21 = twenty-one = veintiuno (veinte + uno).

That doesn't mean that German and Sanskrit are particularly close, it just means they are closer to each other than either is to Vietnamese.

Breathe
11-14-2021, 05:39 PM
English l Hindi

Cut ———— Kaat
Papaya ———— Papita

gixajo
11-14-2021, 05:54 PM
Papaya ———— Papita

Papaya comes from Caribe indians, I would say it joined the Hindi vocabulary in modern times.

Arūnas
11-14-2021, 06:04 PM
my dear English and Spanish friends, you are cousins of Fractal, Mortimer & co it seems, cool