PDA

View Full Version : Philosophy and the Matrix: Return to the Source

The Lawspeaker
10-30-2011, 04:24 PM
9q1jHx29C70
Philosophy and the Matrix: Return to the Source

This is one of the two feature-length documentaries on the Ultimate Matrix Collection. It goes over many philosophical concepts that inspired, and are presented in, the trilogy. They spend the first half on the original film, and the rest of the time then goes over parts 2 and 3, with a couple of things on the Animatrix shorts. This consists of clips of aforementioned releases and interviews. This does a good job of informing the audience about the various thoughts, although it would obviously take far longer to go over all the symbolism in them, and one can ask the very appropriate question if something anywhere near that definite and final is even desired, by viewers or the Wachowskis alike. That does mean that this is limited, but it is likely enough to enlighten and provide food for thought. In line with the series, this may provoke debate, rather than give answers set in stone. Whether one cares for this or not may depend on the extent of their knowledge on the subject, the old ideas, as well as how much they've thought about the presence of such in these three silver screen efforts. Obviously, it also makes a difference if one particularly wants to think about the meanings one could possibly take out of them.

arcticwolf
10-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Man you are on fire today. Be careful, those advanced topics may tarnish your reputation! ;) It's not easy to troll these kinds of topics, one actually has to know something about it. My bet is these won't be popular threads! Good job though :thumb001:

2DREZQ
11-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Maybe it's just me.
The first movie was fun.
The others seemed to break all the rules laid down in the first one. Then they decided to substitute "stunning visual effects" for an actual plot, something that Sergio Leone would have done with modern CG technology.

I guess I'm just not sophisticated enough.

Maybe it's just me.
The first movie was fun.
The others seemed to break all the rules laid down in the first one. Then they decided to substitute "stunning visual effects" for an actual plot, something that Sergio Leone would have done with modern CG technology.

I guess I'm just not sophisticated enough.

To me, the second part was still interesting as it had created new potential, given two fresh ideas. The first one - Agent Smith - a piece of virus-like Matrix code that ran amok and now works to advance his own goals. Then the Matrix Architect who told us that the concept of Neo was actually part of the design to insure Matrix survivability in the permanent cycle of destruction, and that Zion had been destroyed (and some of it intentionally preserved by the machines) several times before this particular incarnation of Neo.

That was actually great. I thought the Wachovski brothers should have stopped right there and think about the third part (if any) for the next ten years.

Unfortunately they quickly decided to make Neo a hero in the third part. The ridiculous visualization of Neo’s trip to see the leader of the machines aside, their deal to destroy Smith in exchange for saving Zion and the epic battle with multiple Smiths – all of it downgraded good sci-fi to a level of animated comics.