PDA

View Full Version : Classify half-Spanish half-White American footballer Luca de la Torre

Tooting Carmen
01-08-2022, 07:35 PM
https://img.a.transfermarkt.technology/portrait/big/315762-1474534559.jpg?lm=1https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/soccer/players/full/225609.png&w=350&h=254https://ussoccerplayers.com/images/2021/09/luca-de-la-torre-usmnt-player.jpg

miruna99
01-08-2022, 08:13 PM
I am assuming when you refer to White you mean the original WASP definition because Spaniards have been White for a long time.

Anyways, Atlanto-Med; looks fully Spanish. He could pass in France but looks too exotic for Britain/NW Europe.

Tooting Carmen
01-08-2022, 08:20 PM
I am assuming when you refer to White you mean the original WASP definition because Spaniards have been White for a long time.

Anyways, Atlanto-Med; looks fully Spanish. He could pass in France but looks too exotic for Britain/NW Europe.

I mean White American and not Black, Asian, Amerindian or (mixed-race) Hispanic American.

miruna99
01-08-2022, 08:55 PM
I mean White American and not Black, Asian, Amerindian or (mixed-race) Hispanic American.

Hispanic is not a racial category; being White and Hispanic is not mutually exclusive. Even MENAs are White in America so obviously a Spaniard would be.

Tooting Carmen
01-08-2022, 08:56 PM
Hispanic is not a racial category; being White and Hispanic is not mutually exclusive. Even MENAs are White in America so obviously a Spaniard would be.

I know that.

miruna99
01-08-2022, 09:07 PM
I know that.

So maybe change the title to half-Anglo-American/WASP/whatever descent his other parent his to avoid confusion ;)

gixajo
01-08-2022, 09:21 PM
I don't think Tooting put that title on with the intention of offending @miruna99.

I do not care that the Americans do not include us in the category of white, having our own category indicates that they take us very much into account and that we continue to be a special group for them.;)

gixajo
01-08-2022, 09:23 PM
I would say that in the first image he looks English, in the second one Spanish and French in the third one.

Could this be possible?

Tooting Carmen
01-08-2022, 09:27 PM
I would say that in the first image he looks English, in the second one Spanish and French in the third one.

Could this be possible?

I actually think he looks Balkan Slav.

gixajo
01-08-2022, 09:32 PM
I actually think he looks Balkan Slav.

Also.

Oliver109
01-08-2022, 10:12 PM
Some sort of atlantid with a med influence i think, looks more French or north Italian than anything i think though i would mark him down as a Euromutt seeing as he probably has a range of ancestries on his American side, does not look especially Spanish.

Colonel Frank Grimes
01-08-2022, 10:27 PM
I don't think Tooting put that title on with the intention of offending @miruna99.

I do not care that the Americans do not include us in the category of white, having our own category indicates that they take us very much into account and that we continue to be a special group for them.;)

You don't understand how the American government does its population statistics. Hispanic isn't classified as a race in the US. It's classified as an ethnicity that can include people of any race.

A Mestizo Mexican is literally classified as racially White but ethnically he's Hispanic. Anyone who has filled out a US census or filled out paperwork at a hospital sees these two questions:

What race are you? White, Black, Asian, Pacific Islander, Other.

What is your ethnicity? Hispanic or non-Hispanic?

axel.aleman
01-08-2022, 10:49 PM
Spaniard genes are strong in him

Andullero
01-08-2022, 10:51 PM
Atlanto-Med, more or less.

B01AB20
01-08-2022, 11:09 PM
You don't understand how the American government does its population statistics. Hispanic isn't classified as a race in the US. It's classified as an ethnicity that can include people of any race.

A Mestizo Mexican is literally classified as racially White but ethnically he's Hispanic. Anyone who has filled out a US census or filled out paperwork at a hospital sees these two questions:

What race are you? White, Black, Asian, Pacific Islander, Other.

What is your ethnicity? Hispanic or non-Hispanic?

Interesting. So I guess the non-hispanic ethnicity comprises WASP, asian-americans, arab-americans, american indians and etc.
Or only hispanics are regarded as a distinct ethnicity of the rest of americans because of their... their what?

Tooting Carmen
01-08-2022, 11:11 PM
Interesting. So I guess the non-hispanic ethnicity comprises WASP, asian-americans, arab-americans, american indians and etc.
Or only hispanics are regarded as a distinct ethnicity of the rest of americans because of their... their what?

No. There are two questions: the first is about race, the second is of whether you are of Hispanic origin or not. Therefore, it acknowledges that any of those races can be found among Hispanics.

Andullero
01-08-2022, 11:18 PM
No. There are two questions: the first is about race, the second is of whether you are of Hispanic origin or not. Therefore, it acknowledges that any of those races can be found among Hispanics.

Somehow it reminds me of the politics followed regarding Amerindians: there, but not really there as far as the body politic is concerned. Only the reservations are left to asign, methinks.

Tooting Carmen
01-08-2022, 11:25 PM
One curiosity is how soccer is among the few sports in the US where you can find a roughly equal number of White, Black and Latino participants. In contrast, baseball and hockey are mostly White; basketball is mostly Black; gridiron is roughly 50/50; athletics are mostly Black; swimming is mostly White; rugby used to be very White although I have noticed a growing number of Black and even Pasifika players.

gixajo
01-08-2022, 11:26 PM

Because of the language spoken by the individuals of that group, it seems.:D

Tooting Carmen
01-08-2022, 11:28 PM
Because of the language spoken by the individuals of that group, it seems.:D

Indeed, American sociologists and linguists nowadays even refer to LOTES: Languages Other Than English And Spanish. xD

gixajo
01-08-2022, 11:48 PM
Indeed, American sociologists and linguists nowadays even refer to LOTES: Languages Other Than English And Spanish. xD

It is a form of "transversal" categorization in the same way that the group "Jewish" would encompass, under a criterion of a common religion, people who actually belong to different races, (I mean, Jewish people is not an homogeneous group in terms of "race" in the sense people who profess that religion have many different phenotypes/coloration etc...)

It is a perfectly valid label in itself but the problem is that if someone makes groups, he is supposed to apply the same criteria to make all groups.

Los españoles somos un poco pesados con este tema, pero es que chirría bastante el cambio interesado de criterio al categorizar según que grupos.

B01AB20
01-08-2022, 11:49 PM

Yes I get that.

But I asked why ONLY hispanics are regarded as a different ethnicity and not for example asian-americans or amrican-indians.
Only for the language?. I thought third generation hispanics don't speak spanish at all, and they must be more than half of hispanics I guess.

Tooting Carmen
01-08-2022, 11:50 PM
It is a form of "transversal" categorization in the same way that the group "Jewish" would encompass, under a criterion of a common religion, people who actually belong to different races, (I mean, Jewish people is not an homogeneous group in terms of "race" in the sense people who profess that religion have many different phenotypes/coloration etc...)

It is a perfectly valid label in itself but the problem is that if someone makes groups, he is supposed to apply the same criteria to make all groups.

Los españoles somos un poco pesados con este tema, pero es que chirría bastante el cambio interesado de criterio al categorizar según que grupos.

Indeed, here are the Latin American-descended players in the current US soccer team. United Colors of Benetton eat your heart out: https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?357727-Classify-US-soccer-players-of-Latin-American-descent-as-of-Jan-2022

Tooting Carmen
01-08-2022, 11:54 PM
Yes I get that.

But I asked why ONLY hispanics are regarded as a different ethnicity and not for example asian-americans or amrican-indians.
Only for the language?. I thought third generation hispanics don't speak spanish at all, and they must be more than half of hispanics I guess.

Asian-Americans, Native Americans and African-Americans are all races (of a sort), whereas Hispanics are merely an ethnicity united by language and geographical origin. :D (At least half of whom were born abroad). And btw, even some third-generation Hispanics do speak Spanish still. Por ejemplo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjJca_wr8Y8

Immanenz
01-08-2022, 11:55 PM
Looks half Spanish half Irish

gixajo
01-08-2022, 11:59 PM
Indeed, here are the Latin American-descended players in the current US soccer team. United Colors of Benetton eat your heart out: https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?357727-Classify-US-soccer-players-of-Latin-American-descent-as-of-Jan-2022

A great variation of people.

And in wich group would be this one?, she is Jewish and from Venezuela.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpeYP8CqTmY&ab_channel=FLAMA

Tooting Carmen
01-09-2022, 12:01 AM

Venezuelan Jew.:D

Mixdguy17
01-09-2022, 04:01 AM
Pan Western Euro looking.

Colonel Frank Grimes
01-09-2022, 04:43 AM

Because of the fact they are a very large population living in the US that needs to be distinguished in some way in the statistics to see if there is discrimination against them. All these background questions you fill out for census, hospital, etc. are - as the government says - is to look for a pattern of discrimination. Funny enough in FBI crime statistics they're all just considered White regardless of whether they look like someone from Chiapas, Mexico.

Anyone from those groups you mentioned can also be classified as Hispanic. For example, Chinese-Cubans can be classified as Hispanic if they choose because they have ties to Cuba. In Washington Heights, NYC Chinese-Cubans have a few restaurants. You speak Spanish to them. They speak Spanish right back. I've known Arabs who were born in Venezuela. They speak Spaish. They can be classified as Hispanic as well if they want.

You can be 3rd generation Mexican-American who doesn't speak Spanish and check off non-Hispanic (many actually do that). You could be 1st generation Mexican-American and check off non-Hispanic. You can leave it blank. It's entirely up to you.

Colonel Frank Grimes
01-09-2022, 04:57 AM

She would check off Hispanic because she has ties to Venezuela if she wants. She doesn't have to.

You can do as you like.

Someone told me the more minorities in a town the more funds a town will receive from the government. I don't know if that's true or not. I didn't bother to look it up. When I got the census I thought about that and although I hate anything that has anything to do with government involvement I checked off White for race and I checked off Hispanic (actually it's Hispanic/Latino/ or some other Spanish origin).

When I was filling out my father's paperwork for the hospital it asked for race: I put White. It asked whether he was 'Hispanic/Latino/or some other Spanish origin.' I check off 'not Hispanic/Latino/ or some other Spanish origin' because I felt like it. I then wrote Spanish as his preferred language. No one came up to me and said, "Hey, if he speaks Spanish he needs to check off here."

B01AB20
01-09-2022, 05:06 PM
Because of the fact they are a very large population living in the US that needs to be distinguished in some way in the statistics to see if there is discrimination against them. All these background questions you fill out for census, hospital, etc. are - as the government says - is to look for a pattern of discrimination. Funny enough in FBI crime statistics they're all just considered White regardless of whether they look like someone from Chiapas, Mexico.

Anyone from those groups you mentioned can also be classified as Hispanic. For example, Chinese-Cubans can be classified as Hispanic if they choose because they have ties to Cuba. In Washington Heights, NYC Chinese-Cubans have a few restaurants. You speak Spanish to them. They speak Spanish right back. I've known Arabs who were born in Venezuela. They speak Spaish. They can be classified as Hispanic as well if they want.

You can be 3rd generation Mexican-American who doesn't speak Spanish and check off non-Hispanic (many actually do that). You could be 1st generation Mexican-American and check off non-Hispanic. You can leave it blank. It's entirely up to you.

That's the reason I suspected behind the 'hispanic ethnicity', the very large population.

Looking for a pattern of discrimination is nowadays a pattern here too, at least in Barcelona. The other day in the newspaper they tell us about a 'survey-trap' mounted by the city council. They called to real state agencies telling them they want to rent or to buy an apartment and they are from this or that foreign origin.
Then, with a special pleasure :rolleyes: , they display the results: a large amount of these agencies discrimine people based on their ethnic origin, catalan society is racist!!.
Yeah, city council is managed by Podemos, catalan branch.

Defcon2
01-09-2022, 05:45 PM
https://img.a.transfermarkt.technology/portrait/big/315762-1474534559.jpg?lm=1https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/soccer/players/full/225609.png&w=350&h=254https://ussoccerplayers.com/images/2021/09/luca-de-la-torre-usmnt-player.jpg

Harry Potter.