PDA

View Full Version : Who’s to blame, anyway?

The Lawspeaker
11-02-2011, 05:25 AM
Who’s to blame, anyway?

A PROTESTER at this week’s anti-austerity demonstrations held up a sign reading “Greece belongs to the Greeks and not to Hitler” - a distasteful reference to German Chancellor Angela Merkel and to those German politicians who have taken a hardline stance in dealing with Greece’s financial crisis.

For some Greeks, like veteran film director Dimitris Kollatos, Germany is to blame for Greece’s plight. Earlier in the month, he headed a rally of a group of people in Nazi uniforms, one of them impersonating Adolf Hitler, and showed up with Nazi flags and insignia outside the German embassy in Athens.

Although these ideas are confined to a fringe of the population, they do epitomise the frustration that has gripped a country teetering on the brink of the abyss where toxic-laced jokes about a new German occupation - albeit an economic one - abound.

Olympiakos’ midweek triumph over Germany’s Borussia Dortmund did not put food on the table but it did offer a sense of “We showed ’em” and probably did much to briefly lift the spirits of a frustrated people.

It’s true that Greek morale has sunk to its lowest level in decades, yet the quest for national redemption via scapegoating Germany cannot be the way out of the country’s impasse.

Greeks resent being called lazy, inept and the black sheep of Europe, and rightfully so. It is equally absurd for German and other European commentators to attribute Greece’s problems to the perceived shortcomings of its population.

Most right-minded Greeks know that the problem is not the Germans but the failings of their own political system.

Lashing out against “bad Germans” may be a convenient way to let off some steam. But it is truly disheartening to see that Prime Minister George Papandreou and opposition leader Antonis Samaras failed again this week, for the umpteenth time, to find common ground and unite in the face of such financial and social adversity.

It’s easy to blame the Germans, but unless Greece’s political establishment finds a way to create a common front in the face of adversity, the country is doomed to more misery, self-inflicted or not.

Source: Athens News (http://www.athensnews.gr/editorial/49476) (October 24, 2011)

Absinthe
11-02-2011, 12:42 PM
For some Greeks, like veteran film director Dimitris Kollatos, Germany is to blame for Greece’s plight. Earlier in the month, he headed a rally of a group of people in Nazi uniforms, one of them impersonating Adolf Hitler, and showed up with Nazi flags and insignia outside the German embassy in Athens.

That guy is a graphic leftist figure and a laughing stock. I doubt he's had any viewers for his films :rolleyes:

It’s true that Greek morale has sunk to its lowest level in decades, yet the quest for national redemption via scapegoating Germany cannot be the way out of the country’s impasse.

Quoting Boyd Rice

Everyone needs a scapegoat
Everyone needs a whipping boy
When you find someone to hate
It fills your heart with joy

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmania.com/hatesville_lyrics_boyd_rice.html
All about Boyd Rice: http://www.musictory.com/music/Boyd+Rice

In every rough situation, the human mind works in such a way that finding a scapegoat instead of assuming responsibilities and taking personal blame where there is such, is the best coping strategy. The Germans are doing the same by scapegoating Greeks for the demise of a project which was never viable in the first place - the Eurozone.

Greeks resent being called lazy, inept and the black sheep of Europe, and rightfully so. It is equally absurd for German and other European commentators to attribute Greece’s problems to the perceived shortcomings of its population.

Wouldn't you?

In the late days I am hearing horror stories about how Greeks are being discriminated against abroad even by fellow Greeks who have lived abroad for a longer time...

Imagine how it feels that all of the sudden a whole nation is automatically deemed as lazy, useless, corrupt, lying, etc...

I have been working non-stop since I finished the University and I resent being called lazy, incompetent, and such... I have higher education and have been taught 5 languages... And that goes for the biggest percentage of Greek s my age (higher education + languages + work experience) and most of them are unemployed now ..

Most right-minded Greeks know that the problem is not the Germans but the failings of their own political system.

Of course.

However if you are desperate and you see your life going down the drain so fast that you don't know what hit you, and at the same time you are being bombarded with propaganda, it is hard for reason to prevail. Hence we have incidents such as the flag burning etc.

Lashing out against “bad Germans” may be a convenient way to let off some steam. But it is truly disheartening to see that Prime Minister George Papandreou and opposition leader Antonis Samaras failed again this week, for the umpteenth time, to find common ground and unite in the face of such financial and social adversity.

They are both appalling. Both have been lying through their teeth in order to gain or keep power.
I seriously don't know what will happen of Greece anymore. It's political system has failed MISERABLY and there is NO decent political candidates in any party. Sometimes I feel like a benevolent dictatorship would be the only way.

It’s easy to blame the Germans, but unless Greece’s political establishment finds a way to create a common front in the face of adversity, the country is doomed to more misery, self-inflicted or not.

Woooorse? How could I make it worse?!
Jeho-vah, Je-hovah, Jeho-vah :D

Siberyak
11-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Speaking of Greece did anyone notice that papandreou replaced his military chiefs? Maybe he is preparing for something?

Absinthe
11-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Speaking of Greece did anyone notice that papandreou replaced his military chiefs? Maybe he is preparing for something?
Yes, I noticed.... :eek: It may come as a surprise but this was in the very fine print of the news announcements... I doubt many people are aware of it...

I would guess he was rather trying to prevent something from happening :....

Leliana
11-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Olympiakos’ midweek triumph over Germany’s Borussia Dortmund did not put food on the table but it did offer a sense of “We showed ’em” and probably did much to briefly lift the spirits of a frustrated people.
Borussia Dortmund has won the rematch against Piräus with 1:0 yesterday evening. And with which trainer did Greece win the European championship in 2004? Otto Rehagel, a German coach! This proves that Greeks need German monitoring, guide and training. :P

Queen B
11-02-2011, 01:14 PM
He is NOT preparing for something, he is trying to prevent anything.
Those leaders, if I heard correctly are politically ''right'' . He put more ''middle'' (Pasok) supporters....

Siberyak
11-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Yes, I noticed.... :eek: It may come as a surprise but this was in the very fine print of the news announcements... I doubt many people are aware of it...

I would guess he was rather trying to prevent something from happening :....

Strange timing isn't it? Is he possibly preparing for actions ?