PDA

View Full Version : American use of depleted uranium and effects on the Iraqi civil population

Teutone
02-20-2022, 02:07 PM
Since 2001, medical personnel working for the Iraqi state health service controlled by Saddam Hussein at the Basra hospital in southern Iraq have reported a sharp increase in the incidence of child leukemia and genetic malformation among babies born in the decade following the Gulf War. Iraqi doctors attributed these malformations to possible long-term effects of DU, an opinion that was echoed by several newspapers.

In 2004, Iraq had the highest mortality rate due to leukemia of any country. In 2003, the Royal Society called for Western militaries to disclose where and how much DU they had used in Iraq so that rigorous, and hopefully conclusive, studies could be undertaken out in affected areas.The International Coalition to Ban Uranium Weapons (ICBUW) likewise urged that an epidemiological study be made in the Basra region, as asked for by Iraqi doctors, but no peer-reviewed study has yet been undertaken in Basra.

A medical survey, "Cancer, Infant Mortality and Birth Sex Ratio in Fallujah, Iraq 2005–2009" published in July 2010, states that the "...increases in cancer and birth defects...are alarmingly high" and that infant mortality 2009/2010 has reached 13.6%. The group compares the dramatic increase, five years after wartime exposure in 2004, with the lymphoma that Italian peacekeepers developed after the Balkan wars and the increased cancer risk in certain parts of Sweden because of the Chernobyl fallout. The origin and time of introduction of the carcinogenic agent causing the genetic stress the group will address in a separate report. The report mentions depleted uranium as one "potentially relevant exposure" but makes no conclusions on the source.

Four studies in the second half of 2012—one of which described the people of Fallujah as having "the highest rate of genetic damage in any population ever studied"—renewed calls for the US and UK to investigate the possible links between their military assault on the city in 2004 and the explosion in deformities, cancers, and other serious health problems.Despite the known use of depleted uranium by allied forces, no depleted uranium has been found in soil samples taken from Fallujah.

A incredible disgusting war crime that receives little to no coverage in western media.

May god bless the families and one time they get their justice.

Arūnas
02-20-2022, 02:16 PM
same shit ===>>> https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01034-8

In August 1956, an above-ground test at the Polygon caused more than 600 residents in the industrial city of Ust-Kamenogorsk, approximately 400 kilometres east of the test site, to be rushed to the hospital with radiation sickness. There are no records of how many people in the city died as a result.

Teutone
02-20-2022, 02:18 PM

No this is dated back to 1956 by nation that doesnt exists anymore and it was done on its own territory and we talk about invasion based war crimes that happend in the early and mid 2000s here and still affect civilians.

Also do 2 wrongs make a right?

I dont think so.

Arūnas
02-20-2022, 02:18 PM

In August 1956, an above-ground test at the Polygon caused more than 600 residents in the industrial city of Ust-Kamenogorsk, approximately 400 kilometres east of the test site, to be rushed to the hospital with radiation sickness. There are no records of how many people in the city died as a result.

https://youtu.be/z77JFw2D6f8

Teutone
02-20-2022, 02:20 PM
The Balkans

Sites in Kosovo and southern Central Serbia where NATO aviation used depleted uranium during the 1999 Kosovo War.
In 2001, the World Health Organization reported that data from Kosovo was inconclusive and called for further studies.That same year, governments of several European countries, particularly Italy, reported an increase in illnesses and developments of cancers among veterans that served in Balkan peacekeeping missions.

A 2003 study by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) in Bosnia and Herzegovina stated that low levels of contaminant were found in drinking water and air particulate at DU penetrator impact points. The levels were stated as not a cause for alarm. Yet, Pekka Haavisto, chairman of the UNEP DU projects stated, "The findings of this study stress again the importance of appropriate clean-up and civil protection measures in a post-conflict situation."

A team of Italian scientists from the University of Siena reported in 2005 that, although DU was "clearly" added to the soil in the study area, "the phenomenon was very limited spatially and the total uranium concentrations fell within the natural range of the element in soils. Moreover, the absolute uranium concentrations indicate that there was no contamination of the earthworm species studied."

In 2018, Serbia set up a commission of inquiry into the consequences of the use of depleted uranium during the 1999 NATO bombing of Yugoslavia in southern Serbia and its link to the rise of diseases and tumors among citizens, particularly in young children born after 1999. NATO has repeatedly claimed that depleted uranium found in the ammunition used in the 1999 bombardments cannot be linked to adverse health effects.

Arūnas
02-20-2022, 02:21 PM
Putin: Soviet collapse a 'genuine tragedy' https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna7632057

Teutone
02-20-2022, 02:22 PM
Putin: Soviet collapse a 'genuine tragedy' https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna7632057

Whoever does not miss the Soviet Union has no heart. Whoever wants it back has no brain.

Vladimir Putin

Why you make this about Russia anyway?

If I show you a case of a German serial rapist, is your first reply to justify that rape by naming me a Russian serial rapist?

Colonel Frank Grimes
02-20-2022, 05:18 PM
But, you know, weapons of mass destruction, and, like genocide and stuff...

Colonel Frank Grimes
02-20-2022, 05:25 PM
Arūnas is Donny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS8X2Qp_6aA

barnumandbailey
02-20-2022, 05:28 PM
Whoever does not miss the Soviet Union has no heart. Whoever wants it back has no brain.

Vladimir Putin

Why you make this about Russia anyway?

If I show you a case of a German serial rapist, is your first reply to justify that rape by naming me a Russian serial rapist?

He's Finnish.

Teutone
02-22-2022, 05:37 PM
This was post 1st Gulf war and Pre Bushs illegal wars that made it even worse.

https://youtu.be/4Aj7yOLhWW4

Teutone
02-22-2022, 05:39 PM
But, you know, weapons of mass destruction, and, like genocide and stuff...

The weapons of mass destruction gotta be there still, hidden somewhere.

I cant believe that western media and politicans would lie to start devastating wars.

JosephK
02-22-2022, 05:55 PM
I guess that's why it's a bad idea to encourage war, like Saddam Hussein and Zelensky. A decent leader would avoid having to be invaded. Everyone already knows that war is bad.

JosephK
03-09-2022, 09:08 PM
The weapons of mass destruction gotta be there still, hidden somewhere.

I cant believe that western media and politicans would lie to start devastating wars.

Yeah, let's not forget, if any of you even knew, that in 1998 President Clinton was ready to send ground troops into Iraq under the same pretense, that Saddam was hiding WMDs. Eventually Saddam caved and let the UN in, so we didn't go. A few years later Bush sent me to Baghdad, and yes, we were indeed looking for evidence of WMDs, I provided security (as an infantryman) for several searches by the search teams. I've seen weapons with the UN barcodes on them showing that they'd been inspected. And we searched for what we thought were labs for WMDs. Whether or not there actually ever were WMDs seems to have mattered little.

My point is that, like Zelensky, Saddam Hussein was given opportunities to avoid war, but they didn't take them, and created the mess they got into.

soonhope
03-09-2022, 09:48 PM
Yeah, let's not forget, if any of you even knew, that in 1998 President Clinton was ready to send ground troops into Iraq under the same pretense, that Saddam was hiding WMDs. Eventually Saddam caved and let the UN in, so we didn't go. A few years later Bush sent me to Baghdad, and yes, we were indeed looking for evidence of WMDs, I provided security (as an infantryman) for several searches by the search teams. I've seen weapons with the UN barcodes on them showing that they'd been inspected. And we searched for what we thought were labs for WMDs. Whether or not there actually ever were WMDs seems to have mattered little.

My point is that, like Zelensky, Saddam Hussein was given opportunities to avoid war, but they didn't take them, and created the mess they got into.

You soldier usa

JosephK
03-09-2022, 09:53 PM
You soldier usa

I was yeah.

soonhope
03-09-2022, 09:59 PM
I was yeah.

Have you ever killed an Iraqi? If you did, does your conscience hurt?

JosephK
03-09-2022, 10:02 PM
Have you ever killed an Iraqi? If you did, does your conscience hurt?

Haha, generally if an Iraqi were wounded or killed, it was because he tried to kill one of us, or other Iraqis. We finished our mission quite early in 2003, Saddam was gone, we thought we were going home. But then people started attacking and killing us as well as their own neighbors. Next thing you know, we had to stay and try to protect innocent Iraqis from their neighbors who, apparently, didn't understand that we would leave if they stopped blowing up and killing people. Well, as you know, that never happened.

In other words, I have no reason to have a hurt conscience.

soonhope
03-09-2022, 10:15 PM
Haha, generally if an Iraqi were wounded or killed, it was because he tried to kill one of us, or other Iraqis. We finished our mission quite early in 2003, Saddam was gone, we thought we were going home. But then people started attacking and killing us as well as their own neighbors. Next thing you know, we had to stay and try to protect innocent Iraqis from their neighbors who, apparently, didn't understand that we would leave if they stopped blowing up and killing people. Well, as you know, that never happened.

In other words, I have no reason to have a hurt conscience.

1.5 million Iraqis were killed and you don't feel any remorse as far as I can tell. Well done cowboy, you did your duty, now Iraq is the most developed country in the world lol

JosephK
03-09-2022, 10:20 PM
1.5 million Iraqis were killed and you don't feel any remorse as far as I can tell. Well done cowboy, you did your duty, now Iraq is the most developed country in the world lol

You are under the impression that Americans killed 1.5 million Iraqis? I explained to you my experience. If you choose to believe propaganda from the side of terrorists, that's your choice, I suppose. I'm fully aware of Turkey's approach to Kurds, so let's not get all "my culture's more morally correct than yours"...

soonhope
03-09-2022, 10:37 PM
You are under the impression that Americans killed 1.5 million Iraqis? I explained to you my experience. If you choose to believe propaganda from the side of terrorists, that's your choice, I suppose. I'm fully aware of Turkey's approach to Kurds, so let's not get all "my culture's more morally correct than yours"...

What is Turkey's perspective on the Kurds? Will you enlighten me? Are you saying that Turkey killed the Kurds? If you are talking about the terrorist organizations on the border, all the soldiers of those terrorist organizations are legionnaires, they have nothing to do with the Kurds, these terrorist organizations survive with the financing of some states. In short, the Kurds are not as you know. OK?

JosephK
03-09-2022, 10:43 PM
What is Turkey's perspective on the Kurds? Will you enlighten me? Are you saying that Turkey killed the Kurds? If you are talking about the terrorist organizations on the border, all the soldiers of those terrorist organizations are legionnaires, they have nothing to do with the Kurds, these terrorist organizations survive with the financing of some states. In short, the Kurds are not as you know. OK?

Then you see my point. Thank you. You have no idea what went on in Iraq, or apparently, why so many people have been killed there. I fully support Turkey's policy on Kurdish terrorists, insofar as I understand it.

soonhope
03-09-2022, 10:56 PM
Then you see my point. Thank you. You have no idea what went on in Iraq, or apparently, why so many people have been killed there. I fully support Turkey's policy on Kurdish terrorists, insofar as I understand it.

No, those terrorists are not Kurds. Also, these are terrorist organizations supported by the United States. I don't understand how you support Turkey. Besides, you say that you are fighting terrorist organizations there, I wonder who financed al-Qaeda? Most likely, America has fought the organizations it founded or supported for years, very good excuses to invade. With what right does America interfere in the internal affairs of Iraq? With what right? It causes the death of so many people.

JosephK
03-09-2022, 11:02 PM
No, those terrorists are not Kurds. Also, these are terrorist organizations supported by the United States. I don't understand how you support Turkey. Besides, you say that you are fighting terrorist organizations there, I wonder who financed al-Qaeda? Most likely, America has fought the organizations it founded or supported for years, very good excuses to invade. With what right does America interfere in the internal affairs of Iraq? With what right? It causes the death of so many people.

That's the point, why do you think you understand more about the Iraq war (and post-war) than the people actually involved? You do not understand what was going on.
I was trying to say that I understand why Turkey would see a threat from certain people on its borders that it calls terrorists, but that the US supports--inasmuch as I understand it.

soonhope
03-09-2022, 11:09 PM
America and the racist fascist European countries did the same in Afghanistan... they did not pay this price in any way... If there is a Taliban in Afghanistan right now, it is America and the Western countries that are to blame.

JosephK
03-09-2022, 11:14 PM
America and the racist fascist European countries did the same in Afghanistan... they did not pay this price in any way... If there is a Taliban in Afghanistan right now, it is America and the Western countries that are to blame.

Enough with the "racist, fascist" crap, that's not why these things happen. You should know how Taliban came into existence, which had little to do with the West; as for its current success in Afghanistan, you are probably correct.

soonhope
03-09-2022, 11:25 PM
Enough with the "racist, fascist" crap, that's not why these things happen. You should know how Taliban came into existence, which had little to do with the West; as for its current success in Afghanistan, you are probably correct.

If there is America, there is Europe. If there is no America or if it was on that continent, very bad things could happen in Europe... I think Europe is dependent on America and its occupations. Is Venezuela the next target?

JosephK
03-09-2022, 11:35 PM
If there is America, there is Europe. If there is no America or if it was on that continent, very bad things could happen in Europe... I think Europe is dependent on America and its occupations. Is Venezuela the next target?

Do you mean militarily? I agree to some extent, that Europe relies on the US (thus NATO), even though it's a false hope, a false sense of security since the US is not good at war; as you know, the US does not win wars so much as cause chaos, but we've convinced people we can protect them (thus the horrific situations in Iraq, Ukraine, etc).

Although personally I don't see that Venezuela presents any real kind of threat to the US as does Russia or Middle Eastern terrorism-- not enough for real military action

Faklon
03-10-2022, 12:25 AM
The Balkans

Sites in Kosovo and southern Central Serbia where NATO aviation used depleted uranium during the 1999 Kosovo War.
In 2001, the World Health Organization reported that data from Kosovo was inconclusive and called for further studies.That same year, governments of several European countries, particularly Italy, reported an increase in illnesses and developments of cancers among veterans that served in Balkan peacekeeping missions.

A 2003 study by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) in Bosnia and Herzegovina stated that low levels of contaminant were found in drinking water and air particulate at DU penetrator impact points. The levels were stated as not a cause for alarm. Yet, Pekka Haavisto, chairman of the UNEP DU projects stated, "The findings of this study stress again the importance of appropriate clean-up and civil protection measures in a post-conflict situation."

A team of Italian scientists from the University of Siena reported in 2005 that, although DU was "clearly" added to the soil in the study area, "the phenomenon was very limited spatially and the total uranium concentrations fell within the natural range of the element in soils. Moreover, the absolute uranium concentrations indicate that there was no contamination of the earthworm species studied."

In 2018, Serbia set up a commission of inquiry into the consequences of the use of depleted uranium during the 1999 NATO bombing of Yugoslavia in southern Serbia and its link to the rise of diseases and tumors among citizens, particularly in young children born after 1999. NATO has repeatedly claimed that depleted uranium found in the ammunition used in the 1999 bombardments cannot be linked to adverse health effects.

I just remembered that in the army we had some containers from Kosovo for which there was a legend that they were radioactive.

I'm not sure if it is true but interesting nevertheless.

Hexachordia
03-10-2022, 07:54 AM
The use of depleted nuclear weapons is a sign of malice, not just something for expediency of strategy. And radical wahhabists are western allies do not underestimate this fact, radical wahhabists and the west act togather in the whole mess from Iraq to Afganistan.

ROME -- U.S. President Joe Biden joined Pope Francis and a leading Sunni imam on Friday in calling for greater global cooperation to fight the coronavirus pandemic, climate change and other world crises on the second anniversary of a landmark Christian-Muslim peace initiative.

The Vatican released a statement from Biden marking the International Day of Human Fraternity, a U.N.-designated celebration of interfaith and multicultural understanding inspired by a landmark document signed on Feb. 4, 2019, in Abu Dhabi by Francis and Sheikh Ahmad al-Tayyeb, the imam of the Al-Azhar center for Sunni learning in Cairo.

Da brazaz of occultism. The west is on a permanent conquest of the world, every inch of land will be conquered and reconquered again in one way other another, this just never stops. Men, probably by only becoming a cesspool worker in India as untocuhables can ensure "peace and love" in this world. In this world, gotta ready for the worst as always.

JosephK
03-10-2022, 03:41 PM
The use of depleted nuclear weapons is a sign of malice, not just something for expediency of strategy. And radical wahhabists are western allies do not underestimate this fact, radical wahhabists and the west act togather in the whole mess from Iraq to Afganistan.

Da brazaz of occultism. The west is on a permanent conquest of the world, every inch of land will be conquered and reconquered again in one way other another, this just never stops. Men, probably by only becoming a cesspool worker in India as untocuhables can ensure "peace and love" in this world. In this world, gotta ready for the worst as always.

Depleted uranium is a byproduct of armor (tank etc) protection, although it is also found in some antiarmor munitions. The point isn't to use a "nuclear" weapon; it's danger comes if a tank is damaged to the extent that the depleted uranium may leach from the damaged armor tiles. That fact is, the soldiers fighting in the tanks and working with the munitions are the ones most likely to suffer the potential health effects than anyone in the civil population, unless they scavenge a burning armored vehicle.

Teutone
01-03-2023, 12:16 AM
https://youtu.be/63ReS1D8RPI

Pro.crasti.nation
01-03-2023, 12:54 AM
Doesn't the US military consume the most amount of oil and produce the most amount of C02? Where's Greta's pleas to reduce their carbon footprint?

IIRC, the Guardian wrote, a decade ago, that the US military is accountable for upto 60% of the US' oil use. Part of an article explaining why the notion that the US goes to war for oil, is only superficially plausible.

The US military also secretly tested radiation poisoning on the US population, iirc. Just as the DoD did in the UK, using the NHS iirc.