PDA

View Full Version : 'Russian Propaganda' Is The Latest Excuse To Expand Censorship

wvwvw
03-01-2022, 02:11 PM
“I’m concerned about Russian disinformation spreading online, so today I wrote to the CEOs of major tech companies to ask them to restrict the spread of Russian propaganda,” US Senator Mark Warner tweeted on Friday.

Since then YouTube has announced that it has suppressed videos by Russian state media channels so that they’ll be seen by fewer people in accordance with its openly acknowledged policy of algorithmically censoring unauthorized content, as well as de-monetizing all such videos on the platform. Google and Facebook/Instagram parent company Meta both banned Russian state media from running ads and monetizing on their platforms in response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Twitter announced a pause on ads in both Russia and Ukraine.

“Glad to see action from tech companies to reign in Russian propaganda and disinformation after my letter to their CEOs yesterday,” Warner tweeted on Saturday. “These are important first steps, but I’ll keep pushing for more.”

For years US lawmakers have been using threats of profit-destroying consequences to pressure Silicon Valley companies into limiting online speech in a way that aligns with the interests of Washington, effectively creating a system of government censorship by proxy. It would appear that we’re seeing a new expansion of this phenomenon today.

And the imperial media are pushing for more. Articles and news segments warning of the sinister threat posed by Russian propaganda to misinform and divide western populations using the internet are being churned out at a rate that’s only likely to increase as this latest narrative management campaign gets into full gear. The Associated Press has a new article out for example titled “War via TikTok: Russia’s new tool for propaganda machine”.

The “different research organizations” AP ends up citing include “Cyabra, an Israeli tech company that works to detect disinformation,” as well as the state-funded NATO narrative management firm The Atlantic Council.

As tends to happen whenever a consensus begins to form that a certain category of speech must be purged from the internet, imperial spinmeisters are already working to expand the definition of “Russian propaganda” which must be purged from the internet to include independent anti-imperialist commentators like myself.

This sudden narrative management thrust has also seen RT taken off the air in nations like Australia, Germany and Poland, with pressures mounting in France and the UK to follow suit.

This despite the fact that all western powers would have to do to eliminate RT completely is simply start allowing leftist and anti-imperialist voices to be heard on mainstream media platforms. It would immediately suck up RT’s entire foreign audience as people who’d previously needed to look outside the mainstream for sane perspectives gravitate toward media made with much better funding and a higher level of talent.

But of course we all know that’s never going to happen. The imperial media aren’t going to subvert RT by platforming voices who dispute the empire’s narratives no matter how badly they hate it, because the exact reason they hate RT is because it disputes the empire’s narratives. They’re not worried about Russian propaganda operations, they’re worried about someone else running interference on their own propaganda operations.

RT’s audience makes up about 0.04% of TV viewing in the UK. This isn’t about RT, it’s about the the agenda to continually expand and normalize the censorship of unauthorized speech. That’s what it was about when they were pretending it was about the need to fight Covid misinformation before that, and when they were pretending it was about the need to fight domestic US extremism before that, and when they were pretending it was about the need to defend election security before that, and when they were pretending it was about the need to fight Russian propaganda the first time before that one cycled back around again.

Whoever controls the narrative controls the world. Humans are storytelling creatures, so whoever can control the stories the humans are telling themselves about what’s going on in the world has a great deal of control over the humans. Our mental chatter tends to dominate such a large percentage of our existence that if it can be controlled the controller can exert a tremendous amount of influence over the way we think, act, and vote.

The powerful understand this, while the general public mostly does not. That’s all we’ve been seeing in these attempts to regulate ideas and information as human communication becomes more and more rapid and networked. An entire oligarchic empire is built on the ability to prevent us from realizing at mass scale that that empire does not serve us and inflicts great evil upon our world. The question of whether our species can awaken to its highest potential or not boils down to whether our dominators will succeed in locking down our minds, or if we will find some way to break free.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/russian-propaganda-latest-excuse-expand-censorship

Jankec
03-01-2022, 09:32 PM
I am for freedom of speech, but propaganda should be recognized and clearly labeled. Russian or any other, without difference.

Loki
03-01-2022, 09:56 PM
I am for freedom of speech, but propaganda should be recognized and clearly labeled. Russian or any other, without difference.

Who decides what is propaganda? Sorry, that's not fair. People are biased, I don't want other people to decide for me what is propaganda or not.

Jankec
03-01-2022, 10:05 PM
Who decides what is propaganda? Sorry, that's not fair. People are biased, I don't want other people to decide for me what is propaganda or not.

Propaganda exists. Lies, cherry picking, manipulations, apologies etc. are some of its components. There is no one truth and always you can find counterarguments, but if you are biased and intentionally want to influence on your audience, regardless if you do it for money or of ideological motives, you are propagandist.

Loki
03-01-2022, 10:51 PM
Propaganda exists. Lies, cherry picking, manipulations, apologies etc. are some of its components. There is no one truth and always you can find counterarguments, but if you are biased and intentionally want to influence on your audience, regardless if you do it for money or of ideological motives, you are propagandist.

Yeah, but who decides what is propaganda? People who make that decision for us are not honest about it. I think you're not understanding what I'm saying...

Ayetooey
03-01-2022, 11:26 PM
Censorship is wrong on all accounts. I'm very Libertarian about free speech and there's almost nothing I would ban. But Russia and China censor a lot more media/internet than the west, so if you're going to be fair then you need to call out all sides.

Tenma de Pegasus
03-01-2022, 11:29 PM
I am for freedom of speach, not for fredoom of widespread wrong informations.

Crn Volk
03-01-2022, 11:33 PM
Propaganda or not,in Putin's rule there is no freedom expression or any other allowed narrative than what he a agree's with.
Knowing that,it is easy to choose which one is part of the free-world and the other a "dictator" haven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmuG0kSghIQ

Well the 'free-world' has also now gone down this path with opposing views to the mainstream narrative, now banned or in the process of being banned. Welcome to the new world!

jfgh676
03-01-2022, 11:43 PM
Well the 'free-world' has also now gone down this path with opposing views to the mainstream narrative, now banned or in the process of being banned. Welcome to the new world!

In future Rusnet you wouldn't even be able to login to the apricity and spew this nonsense.

Ayetooey
03-01-2022, 11:45 PM
In future Rusnet you wouldn't even be able to login to the apricity and spew this nonsense.

It's true, but the west is also going that way. You can be arrested for saying the wrong comment on twitter and there's plenty of examples of this. The whole world is becoming more authoritarian, and it's something any sane person who values freedom of speech should oppose, instead of just blaming west vs east.

Jankec
03-02-2022, 10:19 AM
Yeah, but who decides what is propaganda? People who make that decision for us are not honest about it. I think you're not understanding what I'm saying...

I think that I have explained. If someone intentionally spread lies or selective facts with strong advertising and in order to change public's opinion, he can be considered as propagandist. You should estimate his motives and intentions and judge it for yourself.

Loki
03-02-2022, 05:51 PM
I think that I have explained. If someone intentionally spread lies or selective facts with strong advertising and in order to change public's opinion, he can be considered as propagandist. You should estimate his motives and intentions and judge it for yourself.

Yes, but every person has to make that judgement for themselves. It shouldn't be up to the authorities to decide what is propaganda, and what is not. I have personally seen too many times this power being abused along ideological lines.

Loki
03-02-2022, 05:54 PM
Censorship is wrong on all accounts. I'm very Libertarian about free speech and there's almost nothing I would ban. But Russia and China censor a lot more media/internet than the west, so if you're going to be fair then you need to call out all sides.

I wouldn't say they censor more than the West. In the past, maybe. But recently the West has overtaken Russia and China and taken a lead in censorship of "unwanted" opinions.

NSXD60
03-02-2022, 06:31 PM
My question about Putin is how stable is he? Yes he can be homicidally ruthless with individuals and small groups here and there, others' lives meaning nothing to ex KGB thugs, but lately from some who have interacted with him and most who've heard his nuclear insinuations he seems unstable. I think his Napoleon complex is metastasizing since it was laughed at when he rode a horse shirtless. He respected Trump because he suspected him capable of anything. He despises Joe's Ukraine grifting for Hunter, has no respect at all for him which should concern us all.

Loki
03-02-2022, 07:21 PM
My question about Putin is how stable is he? Yes he can be homicidally ruthless with individuals and small groups here and there, others' lives meaning nothing to ex KGB thugs, but lately from some who have interacted with him and most who've heard his nuclear insinuations he seems unstable. I think his Napoleon complex is metastasizing since it was laughed at when he rode a horse shirtless. He respected Trump because he suspected him capable of anything. He despises Joe's Ukraine grifting for Hunter, has no respect at all for him which should concern us all.

Putin is one of the most stable leaders in the world, having been in charge of Russia for two decades. He is widely respected (and feared by his enemies). Of course, all his enemies always try to make false accusations against him and try to harm his reputation. But those who know him well respect him a lot as a very capable leader, exceptional.

Dick
03-02-2022, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't say they censor more than the West. In the past, maybe. But recently the West has overtaken Russia and China and taken a lead in censorship of "unwanted" opinions.

There were police going around to people’s homes that were supporting the Canadian trucker convoy on Facebook

alnortedelsur
03-02-2022, 09:08 PM
Big tech corporations, world banks, and other big corporations, owed by... surprise, surprise... don't want people to get the information from different sources and perspectives to get a balanced opinion of what is going on, but want to impose only their own narrative to brainwash people like herd. No surprises.

Jankec
03-07-2022, 07:09 PM
Loki, you are administrator here and strong supporter the freedom of speech. I have just noticed that my posts about war in Ukraine, written in the same day as posts in this thread, had mysteriously disappeared. I have very negative opinion about Russian president Putin and I consider him as a war criminal (like many other people), but I don't think it's a good reason for censorship.

cakmir7y
03-07-2022, 07:23 PM

Yeah, and who decides whether earth is or isn't flat, everyone should have his/her opinion, blah blah blah

In your answers you already showed signs of manipulations and propaganda.

You are retard. Go suck Putin's dick.

Anglo-Celtic
03-07-2022, 10:13 PM

You know how it is, Loki. The Bloods propagandists will ban the Crips' propaganda.

catgeorge
03-07-2022, 10:23 PM
Putin is against Big tech and everyone jumps down his throat.

It always takes two to tango. Is the invasion warranted? probably not - but I am not Russian to feel it.

I do know if I was leading Russia and NATO has been calling me an adversary, an enemy for the past 30 years and installed hardware around me with nuclear capability. I wouldn't like it. I also wouldn't like the U.S supporting Azov Battalion Neo Nazis killing Russians. Azov Battalion is 20k strong and heavily armed and have been killing innocent civilians since 2014. This is a terrorist organisation that's a part of Ukrainian National Guard -it's an open policy that supports terrorism. So, if I had to draw lines to protect my people and the other side led by a Jew supporting terrorists and openly advocated acquiring nuclear weapons and joining NATO, so in order to protect my people - expect a SPANKING.

But as I said - I am not Russian to "feel" it so probably not justified. But looking at all the multi layered facts. It is 100% justified

PHDNM
03-08-2022, 05:33 AM
https://sun9-76.userapi.com/sun9-87/impg/YtZxk98mHmACSMmvMTOEWA3eREdAuNDDip6B1w/ULLeZFvd4zM.jpg?size=736x767&quality=95&sign=d261d34f766714d639b242ed4fcaca85&type=album

Nomadian90'
03-08-2022, 08:53 AM

The real propaganda is carried by the regime's media, which reported that the soldiers from Snake Island are dead and then miraculously resurrected.

Jankec
03-08-2022, 08:02 PM
Putin is against Big tech and everyone jumps down his throat.

It always takes two to tango. Is the invasion warranted? probably not - but I am not Russian to feel it.

I do know if I was leading Russia and NATO has been calling me an adversary, an enemy for the past 30 years and installed hardware around me with nuclear capability. I wouldn't like it. I also wouldn't like the U.S supporting Azov Battalion Neo Nazis killing Russians. Azov Battalion is 20k strong and heavily armed and have been killing innocent civilians since 2014. This is a terrorist organisation that's a part of Ukrainian National Guard -it's an open policy that supports terrorism. So, if I had to draw lines to protect my people and the other side led by a Jew supporting terrorists and openly advocated acquiring nuclear weapons and joining NATO, so in order to protect my people - expect a SPANKING.

But as I said - I am not Russian to "feel" it so probably not justified. But looking at all the multi layered facts. It is 100% justified

More Neo Nazis you can find in Greece ("Golden Dawn") than in Ukraine. It's rubbish propaganda.
I find those people who live in "evil and degenerate West", enjoy its living standard and freedoms, but support Putin and similar characters very pathetic. Why don't you settle in Russia or join to Russian army in Ukraine and enjoy benefits of living under Putin's regime?

PHDNM
03-09-2022, 04:49 AM
https://sun9-76.userapi.com/sun9-28/impg/xmOhBWPsP5jfEfJUuoRxh7k-4uJxLahyOXUiHg/LMoKCrLnE4I.jpg?size=1080x1340&quality=96&sign=ff95d571ca5c44d181e6a931f2c0f2a9&type=album