PDA

View Full Version : Have you noticed physical patterns with MtDNA Haplos?

CordedWhelp
04-18-2022, 08:21 PM
To first get it out of the way: Autosomes are the greater determiner of physical characteristics. Acknowledged. This is also far from the first thread on TA or any other anthropology forum trying to tie in physical attributes and one or more haplogroup. Indeed, haplogroups account for pretty little of one’s total DNA. This isn’t a discussion of “do they”?

I think it’s reasonable they can still influence (in a direct way), but one that is usually on the more subtle side of things. One thing I can’t put my finger on but have noticed is that MtDNA U people can have a certain look. I believe that I’ve noticed “U” women, especially U5-bearers, are per-capita curvier then some others (talk about bro-science on my part...lol). Just to give one example.

If you are of a similar mind: what patterns have you noticed with certain Maternal haplogroups and physical attributes?

Note: Yes, I am aware I made a similar thread to this a little while ago. I ran across it today and got thinking again about the topic. I made a new thread because I wanted a more concise and streamlined version of that thread (physical appearance versus other kinds of epigenetic traits)

Tongio
04-18-2022, 08:32 PM
I have thought of something similar too, but to be honest in my head i think mtdna might sort of be related to patterns(in a funcional way) in human organisms , the mitocondria is the powerhouse of the cell after all, so maybe metabolism might have some correlation with mtdna. Bro science part: I have notice L mtdna tend to acumulate fat on upper leg, butt and hips, H woman seem to be the oposite and store more fat on upper arms and breast.

CordedWhelp
04-18-2022, 08:33 PM
I have thought of something similar too, but to be honest in my head i think mtdna might sort of be related to patterns(in a funcional way) in human organisms , the mitocondria is the powerhouse of the cell after all, so maybe metabolism might have some correlation with mtdna.

That latter-most fact is partly what influenced this thread.

Roy
04-18-2022, 09:03 PM
It would not be completely lacking in sense. Your mitochondrial DNA do have a role in producing the necessary energy and consequently factors into your metabolism which can result in a slightly altered appearance.

Roy
04-18-2022, 09:04 PM
I have thought of something similar too, but to be honest in my head i think mtdna might sort of be related to patterns(in a funcional way) in human organisms , the mitocondria is the powerhouse of the cell after all, so maybe metabolism might have some correlation with mtdna. Bro science part: I have notice L mtdna tend to acumulate fat on upper leg, butt and hips, H woman seem to be the oposite and store more fat on upper arms and breast.

I do wonder whether anyone has conducted an actual study. It is possible no one has ever done it.

CordedWhelp
04-18-2022, 09:19 PM
Based off some observations online, MtDNA N1 people (I’m MtDNA N1b) seem per-capita to have a lot of members of somewhat short height, medium length limbs proportionally, and a natural preference for Mediterranean climates. For what it’s worth, I don’t think I do very well in the cold..nor heat with high humidity in the air.

Bump? Any specific trends anyone has noticed?

Note: I fully understand that observations made could in fact be more correlation than causation...

Tongio
04-18-2022, 11:00 PM
I do wonder whether anyone has conducted an actual study. It is possible no one has ever done it.

I remember a spanish study i read a while ago, where they mentioned correlation beetwen a H subclade in Spain and hearing loss, the individuals were distantly related , quite curious.

Andullero
04-18-2022, 11:37 PM
To first get it out of the way: Autosomes are the greater determiner of physical characteristics. Acknowledged. This is also far from the first thread on TA or any other anthropology forum trying to tie in physical attributes and one or more haplogroup. Indeed, haplogroups account for pretty little of one’s total DNA. This isn’t a discussion of “do they”?

I think it’s reasonable they can still influence (in a direct way), but one that is usually on the more subtle side of things. One thing I can’t put my finger on but have noticed is that MtDNA U people can have a certain look. I believe that I’ve noticed “U” women, especially U5-bearers, are per-capita curvier then some others (talk about bro-science on my part...lol). Just to give one example.

If you are of a similar mind: what patterns have you noticed with certain Maternal haplogroups and physical attributes?

Note: Yes, I am aware I made a similar thread to this a little while ago. I ran across it today and got thinking again about the topic. I made a new thread because I wanted a more concise and streamlined version of that thread (physical appearance versus other kinds of epigenetic traits)

That only works in Old World populations, cuz in heavily mixed New Worlder ones, forgetaboutit. My mother, for example, looks so far away from her SSA maternal haplo it's even a joke to even link the two.

Touijer
10-17-2023, 01:50 PM
I think there’s a definitely a correlation and I agree with your U hypothesis but I do feel like Y dna has a bit more impact on that aspect

Vessna
10-20-2023, 10:30 PM

I am not aware of any studies that link mtDNA to certain physical characteristics.

There is a study on mtDNA and ADHD frequency called "Mitochondrial DNA haplogroups and risk of attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder in European Americans" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7608630/#:~:text=This%20study%20demonstrates%20that%20mtDN A,the%20genetic%20basis%20of%20ADHD.
H haplogroup associated with higher frequency of ADHD, and U and K are protective.

true_southron
10-20-2023, 10:42 PM
I am not aware of any studies that link mtDNA to certain physical characteristics.

There is a study on mtDNA and ADHD frequency called "Mitochondrial DNA haplogroups and risk of attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder in European Americans" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7608630/#:~:text=This%20study%20demonstrates%20that%20mtDN A,the%20genetic%20basis%20of%20ADHD.
H haplogroup associated with higher frequency of ADHD, and U and K are protective.

If you're interested in traits I suggest you to upload your data to DNAgenics or Genomelink, and if you're interested in health report try promethease. I highly doubt that both mtDNA or Y DNA are related to anything other than your sex.

Vessna
10-20-2023, 11:38 PM
If you're interested in traits I suggest you to upload your data to DNAgenics or Genomelink, and if you're interested in health report try promethease. I highly doubt that both mtDNA or Y DNA are related to anything other than your sex.

Thank you for your suggestions. I get traits and health report through 23andMe. They are pretty thorough.
Mitochondria is involved heavily in metabolism. I see the possibly of it indirectly influence certain metabolism related traits.
Y chromosome affects testosterone production, that alone can influence multiple traits such as level of aggression, sexual drive, etc. There are some animal models that have been studied in that regard. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/B:BEGE.0000038489.82589.6f#:~:text=The%20SHR%20Y%2 DChromosome%20Increases,in%20the%20Rat%20Model%20% 7C%20SpringerLink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk