PDA

View Full Version : Child brides flown in for old men in Australia

Anastazja
11-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Hundreds of child brides flown into Australia on special visas

Teens granted "prospective spouse" visas
Most from Middle East or South-East Asia
Child safety campaigners demand inquiry

HUNDREDS of 17-year-old girls have been brought to Australia to get married under a government visa program.
Figures show that more than two hundred 17-year-old girls were granted prospective spouse visas over the past five years - a figure child safety campaigners branded as shocking.
Hundreds more 18-, 19-, and 20-year-old women also received the visas after being sponsored by older men. The majority of the teenagers were from the Middle East or Southeast Asian countries.
One 17 year old from Thailand was brought out by a 57-year-old man, and a 17-year-old Iraqi girl was sponsored by a 50 -year-old.
More than 100 17 year olds from Lebanon were granted the visas after being sponsored by men aged 19 to 37.
Under the visa's conditions, the girls must marry their sponsor within nine months. Australian laws only allow minors to be married in strictly-controlled circumstances, with court approval.
In another case, a Lebanese high school junior from an area dominated by strict Muslims sought protection after arriving in Australia on a prospective spouse visa for an arranged marriage with a man decades her senior, only to find that he was a violent drunk who kept his previous wife and children in an adjoining house.
The teenager was eventually granted a protection visa after her own family threatened to kill her.
"She will be slaughter and killed," the girl's family said in a letter. "By God, I will kill you at the airport and I will bury you in the grave. O you dog."
The Australian Childhood Foundation's Joe Tucci called for an urgent inquiry.
"A thorough audit needs to be done to ensure these children are safe," he said. "Is this a program the Australian community really supports?"
Child safety researcher Chris Goddard said the figures were extremely disturbing and "make a mockery of local marriage laws".
An immigration department spokesman defended the visa program, saying: "Applicants for a partner visa or a prospective marriage visa must meet a range of criteria, including being able to demonstrate they are in a genuine and ongoing partner relationship with their sponsoring partner."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/visa-alarm-over-imported-teen-brides/story-e6frfkvr-1226187186422#ixzz1dCQ36Y9P

Dirty old men :mad:

Contra Mundum
11-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Depressing story. I wish Western countries would put aside their multicultural nonsense and protect their way of life. I wont hold my breath though. The focus instead will be on overseas wars for the global world order.

When the US levels Iran for Israel, expect even more boatloads of refugees coming to your shores.

rhiannon
11-09-2011, 09:41 AM
This story sickens me on a multitude of levels:( The girls are the real victims here.

Motörhead Remember Me
11-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Ok, which is the form to fill in?

Seriously, I had no idea Australia had this Visa classification "prospective spouse", and for children. Something has gone very wrong they created this class and more so when they started to grant these visas. It's wrong and against all ethic principles. Child protection and gender equality, where are you? I'm afraid 90% of them step right into a relationship where they subjected to dominance, submission and control.

Osweo
11-09-2011, 10:23 AM
This story sickens me on a multitude of levels:( The girls are the real victims here.

The girls would get the same back home. Instead, we now play host to this barbarity, and the whole tenor of our civilisation plummets as a result. No doubt the fecundity of these couples will be well above 'replacement' levels. WE are the victim. The clueless hoodwinked victim who votes for our OWN replacement.

rhiannon
11-09-2011, 11:25 AM
The girls would get the same back home. Instead, we now play host to this barbarity, and the whole tenor of our civilisation plummets as a result. No doubt the fecundity of these couples will be well above 'replacement' levels. WE are the victim. The clueless hoodwinked victim who votes for our OWN replacement.

I know, you have a very good point, but the girls themselves couldn't help the fact they were born in a shithole that treats women as third class citizens:( I mean, the one girl who would have gone back home to escape her abusive husband....only to face execution by her own FAMILY???

That is..beyond barbaric, and if girls like these could be saved by bringing them to a safe haven, rather than turning them into teenaged brides, I would condone it. I do not condone the way this situation is being handled at all.

I certainly do not advocate for bringing any of their families over, either, if they are of the sort described in the OP:mad:

AussieScott
11-15-2011, 06:20 AM
God I despise the week government and immigration system...

littlestar
07-21-2013, 07:55 PM