PDA

View Full Version : i wanted to work on something meaningful but those people are insufferable

bandoge
05-15-2022, 06:07 AM
i really wanted to work in some kind of meaningful job for non-profit or something like that, that i would feel i'm doing something socially important but all people in this kind of jobs tend to be insufferable. i had an interview with a ngo today and honestly the guy made me feel so bad, he gave me a feedback saying that i was overprivileged and he didn't thought i had enough grit for the work because i don't really need to work (he somehow assumed it, i think because i have long gaps on my resume... well, I do because I had to take care of my sick parents and their farm and also because I had a couple of eye surgeries that rendered me legally blind for almost an year). he was extremely judgmental, it was really uncomfortable and unprofessional. also, he made some sexual jokes.

it's the second time i interview for this sort of more progressive institution, and it was both time awful. it's weird because those people pride themselves in being so much better than corporate jobs but honestly i never felt bad doing an interview in a regular company.

Nurzat
05-15-2022, 07:40 AM
expose them to control institutions

gixajo
05-15-2022, 07:44 AM
i really wanted to work in some kind of meaningful job for non-profit or something like that, that i would feel i'm doing something socially important but all people in this kind of jobs tend to be insufferable. i had an interview with a ngo today and honestly the guy made me feel so bad, he gave me a feedback saying that i was overprivileged and he didn't thought i had enough grit for the work because i don't really need to work (he somehow assumed it, i think because i have long gaps on my resume... well, I do because I had to take care of my sick parents and their farm and also because I had a couple of eye surgeries that rendered me legally blind for almost an year). he was extremely judgmental, it was really uncomfortable and unprofessional. also, he made some sexual jokes.

it's the second time i interview for this sort of more progressive institution, and it was both time awful. it's weird because those people pride themselves in being so much better than corporate jobs but honestly i never felt bad doing an interview in a regular company.

When I was studying, I worked for Caritas in a social center in a poor neighborhood in my city in the afternoons. Two and a half hours, three days a week from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. I taught(gave/imparted?) school support classes of any subject, the first half of the schedule to adolescents between 14-18 years old, and the second to children up to 14 years old.

Most were gypsies, or immigrants who were beginning to arrive in Spain at that time.

They gave me 25,000 pesetas a month, although I lived in my parents' house and did not need money.

I suppose there will be Caritas in Portugal, although I don't know if it has the same tasks that it had here at that time.

Caritas belongs to the Catholic Church.

bandoge
05-15-2022, 01:10 PM
expose them to control institutions

I am not sure anyone would care, I think it's normalized. And while this isn't a good behavior, being arrogant and judgmental aren't exactly anything criminal.

bandoge
05-15-2022, 01:20 PM
When I was studying, I worked for Caritas in a social center in a poor neighborhood in my city in the afternoons. Two and a half hours, three days a week from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. I taught(gave/imparted?) school support classes of any subject, the first half of the schedule to adolescents between 14-18 years old, and the second to children up to 14 years old.

Most were gypsies, or immigrants who were beginning to arrive in Spain at that time.

They gave me 25,000 pesetas a month, although I lived in my parents' house and did not need money.

I suppose there will be Caritas in Portugal, although I don't know if it has the same tasks that it had here at that time.

Caritas belongs to the Catholic Church.

I live in Brazil, not Portugal! I had good experience doing volunteer work in Catholic organizations when I was a teen as well... this is more like a career issue, currently I work for a quite fancy school, but I would like to do something that is more focused on social issues but it's a very closed circle here it seems, and they seem to be too judgmental to everyone outside their niche.

At the end of the day, I can't really complain about my work – it's a good environment – but from time to time I get caught up being idealistic. Maybe I should focus it on finding time to do some volunteer work.