PDA

View Full Version : Tony Blair Criticizes Vatican Attitude Toward Homosexuals

Beorn
04-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Tony Blair Criticizes Vatican Attitude Toward Homosexuals

Roman Catholic leaders are out of step with ordinary believers in their attitude toward homosexuals, former Prime Minister Tony Blair said in an interview published Wednesday.

Blair, who formally converted to Catholicism in 2007, said he believes there is a big generational difference on the issue, and that ordinary Catholics are more liberal-minded than their leaders.

"Actually, we need an attitude of mind where rethinking and the concept of evolving attitudes becomes part of the discipline with which you approach your religious faith," Blair said in an interview published in Attitude, a magazine aimed at gays.

Pope Benedict XVI, when he was still a cardinal in 1986, described homosexuality as "an objective disorder."

Asked about that comment, Blair said "there is a huge generation difference here."

"And there's probably that same fear amongst religious leaders that if you concede ground on an issue like this, because attitudes and thinking evolve over time, where does that end?" Blair said.

"You'd start having to rethink many, many things. Now, my view is that rethinking is good, so let's carry on rethinking."

Blair suggested that ordinary Catholics would disagree with the official position.

"Look, there are many good and great things the Catholic Church does, and there are many fantastic things this pope stands for," Blair said.

"But I think what is interesting is that if you went into any Catholic church, particularly a well-attended one, on any Sunday here and did a poll of the congregation, you'd be surprised at how liberal-minded people were."

Blair attended Catholic services with his family throughout his time as prime minister from 1997 to 2007, but formally remained a member of the Church of England. He joined the Catholic Church after leaving office.

Last year he launched the Tony Blair Faith Foundation, which aims to fight extremism, organize faith groups against poverty and illness, and educate people worldwide about religions other than their own.Source (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=46307)

Birka
04-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Is Tony running for Prime Minister of San Francisco?

Osweo
04-11-2009, 10:49 PM
The disgusting cheek of the man. I'm no friend of the Pope of Rome, but I do believe that you can't join up and suddenly start whining for the rules to be changed! What does he think the Catholic Church is? A web forum?!? :P;)

I do believe that the Christians have a certain well known book that is supposed to be God's writ, too. Not too kind on arse-banditry, so I hear. Perhaps Blair should cut out the middle man and criticize the Pope's Boss. He should get excommunicated for this. Where are the Inquisition when you need them?

Him and his ilk got into the Labour party, distorting it from its original aims, and now he thinks he can do the same with the Big Boys?!?

Birka
04-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Not too kind on arse-banditry, so I hear.

LOL, I will be laughing about that sentence for about a week or so.

:p:p:p

I love this forum, and this is one of the great things about it, to read the great phrasing of our British friends.

Fortis in Arduis
04-12-2009, 12:37 PM
The Bible has a lot of 'stuff' in it and Christianity is hugely interpretive.

Again this and the Roman Catholic Church are totally arbitrary, what we are dealing with is the democratic deficit.

Did anyone here ever read 'Darkness at Noon' by Arthur Koestler?

It is an anti-Communist novel, where the main protagonist Rubashov posits the theory that technology advances faster than democracy and the people must always fight for democracy and ever increasing degrees of democracy.

Rubashov was a moderate Bolshevik who became an enemy of Number One (Stalin) and part of the underground resistance.

RoyBatty
04-12-2009, 12:45 PM
While the topic is somewhat entertaining (corrupt war criminal vs leader of pedophile cult) the interesting thing for me out of all this is the coordinated drive by which institutions are being reshaped or are pressured into reshaping to fit the agendas of a new society which hasn't quite revealed itself just yet.

In other words, what we're witnessing (TB and his a$$bandit agenda) aren't random events and are part of a bigger overall scheme. Yes I know some will say that this is conspiracy theory stuff but I beg to differ. There is too much evidence out there suggesting otherwise.

Imo it's worth taking a look at the Common Purpose thread, the agendas of the NWO, the liberals, particularly the EU (there are many good videos on it on Youtube, also look out for Nigel Farrage's comments about it) etc. There's a big masterplan at work linking all these organisations through secret societies which have recruited people in top positions in all spheres of life.

A brave new dawn beckons.........

Turkey
09-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Why join their church if you don't agree with them. Excuse my french but What a dickhead.

Kataphraktoi
09-13-2011, 12:30 AM
The Catholic Church might excommunicate homosexuals, but the Muslims and Jews might instead, execute them. Christians are far more 'tolerant' in that respect.

Joe McCarthy
09-13-2011, 03:21 AM
A convert to Roman Catholicism who praises Islam and defends homosexuality...

I think this headline would better read, 'The scatterbrained former Prime Minister strikes again'.

Turkey
09-13-2011, 04:32 AM
^with the westminster system, it's like having mad, weakling king after mad, weakling king. In the old days, a country would cease to exist with so many incompetent reigns one after the other.

Britain is already lost. It just keeps a cuboard cut out in front of it, maintained by loaned money, to fool everyone.