PDA

View Full Version : Barack Obama's Mythic Hero Image - An Appraisal..

Lyfing
04-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Obama's Mythic Hero Image - An Appraisal..

A brief overview of the main newspapers, news sites and TV channels shows that, despite the fact it's been a month since the US election, "Obamania" is still in full swing. Obama has become something of a popular culture icon, on the par of Madonna, Batman and rock stars. It has then occurred to me that Obama's image and story can be compared to Joseph Campbell's myth of the Hero, which Campbell called the "monomyth" (1). Whether consciously or unconsciously, people - and sometimes Obama himself - tend to project this image upon him. As early as 2006, he was called star and legend (2), and recently I have even read an online blog where the writer called him 'savior'! (3) Mind you, I'm not laying a claim of profound originality on this - I discovered then that George Lucas has already made note of Obama following the Hero's Journey (4) and there are two bloggers that talked about it, albeit sketchily (5, 6). However, I would like to look at this more in detail than the others I have read - and this article will be lengthier than most others!

Let's start with the beginning. For those that don't know, Joseph Campbell (1904-1987) was one of the foremost mythologists of his age (7). He is primarily remembered for his groundbreaking book, The Hero with a Thousand Faces. It is in this one that he articulated the myth of the hero's journey, which directly influenced George Lucas' Star Wars, Disney's The Lion King, and countless movies and books ever since (8). The book 'deconstructs' the journey of the hero in three parts. It is my intention here to compare these with the story of Obama's rise to power and Presidency.

Later,
-Lyfing