PDA

View Full Version : Classify Roman man's and Byzantine woman's facial reconstructions from Sagalassos.

Voskos
06-26-2022, 09:38 PM
On the basis of skeletal remains, the researchers have reconstructed two lifelike faces – one of a Roman-era man (early third century CE) and one of a Middle-Byzantine woman (11th-13th century CE). The researchers have called them ‘Rhodon’ and ‘Eirènè’, respectively, as their real names are unknown.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bWFRfo1D7xY/XObtVAdFVvI/AAAAAAACiyM/OTj1ytiLoO0TbLGeeJjestFGNIce5629gCLcBGAs/s1600/Sagalassos-02.jpeg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-N9eSijIhvuQ/XObtNsfvqXI/AAAAAAACiyI/xZ8rqW177OwVy_twwEclA1W201Gr5JBRwCLcBGAs/s1600/Sagalassos-01.jpeg

https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2019/05/facial-reconstruction-breathes-new-life.html

Location of Sagalassos:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Dries-Daems-2/publication/314081824/figure/fig1/AS:466297008988161@1488185278585/Locations-of-Sagalassos-and-Duezen-Tepe.png

axel.aleman
06-26-2022, 09:56 PM
ProtoMed similar to Berid and PaleoSardinian

Faklon
06-26-2022, 10:21 PM
Basically two Roman Anatolians of different eras.

Man looks quite Anatolid but also comes close to some Balkanoid Carpathid types, some Dinaroid-Alpinoid mix.

The woman looks very Aegean, could be related to Olga Kefalogianni or Maria Korinthiou, Med/Dinaro-Med or something.

Greywolf
06-27-2022, 01:28 AM
Man looks like me.... kind of alpinzed pontid and slightly dinaric, towards to Caucasus and Carpathians maybe too
woman looks Greek, no alpinized Original Pontid look
only bulged nose give Dinaro-Alpine feel but Face is compeletely Pontid

Basically two Roman Anatolians of different eras.

Man looks quite Anatolid but also comes close to some Balkanoid Carpathid types, some Dinaroid-Alpinoid mix.

The woman looks very Aegean, could be related to Olga Kefalogianni or Maria Korinthiou, Med/Dinaro-Med or something.

these are not the best
Olga looks Slav and heavily Dinaric other one looks balkan too.
you should have said someone more typical (square faced) pontid
The type is in my memory from my friends but I can't give a name rn sorry

yeah I called the woman here Greek, but in the front view, the nose is too big and wide. like Dinaro-Alpine nose
Only from the sideview there is a full greek nose (Appearently thats reason why I said Greek)

but This woman also looks Pontus because of the bulged Nose.
I mean Georgians, Caucasians also have that. Mtebids. it's very common in there

it says woman from middleages (11th-13th century CE)
They call Byzantine but Maybe She was a refugee or related to Trabzon Empire which is founded in 1204
after Venice sacked Constantinople you know.
These times was way too less stable for Byzantium. for Turks as well I mean All Anatolia
seljuk conquest, crusades, venetians, mongol invasion etc.

Can she really be Byzantine with that big fat nose ?

Considering 13th century Sagalassos was so close to Seljuks border.
maybe it was Turkish soil even.
I wish they had detailed information about her

Voskos
06-27-2022, 03:27 PM
Man looks like me.... kind of alpinzed pontid and slightly dinaric, towards to Caucasus and Carpathians maybe too
woman looks Greek, no alpinized Original Pontid look
only bulged nose give Dinaro-Alpine feel but Face is compeletely Pontid

these are not the best
Olga looks Slav and heavily Dinaric other one looks balkan too.
you should have said someone more typical (square faced) pontid
The type is in my memory from my friends but I can't give a name rn sorry

yeah I called the woman here Greek, but in the front view, the nose is too big and wide. like Dinaro-Alpine nose
Only from the sideview there is a full greek nose (Appearently thats reason why I said Greek)

but This woman also looks Pontus because of the bulged Nose.
I mean Georgians, Caucasians also have that. Mtebids. it's very common in there

it says woman from middleages (11th-13th century CE)
They call Byzantine but Maybe She was a refugee or related to Trabzon Empire which is founded in 1204
after Venice sacked Constantinople you know.
These times was way too less stable for Byzantium. for Turks as well I mean All Anatolia
seljuk conquest, crusades, venetians, mongol invasion etc.

Can she really be Byzantine with that big fat nose ?

Considering 13th century Sagalassos was so close to Seljuks border.
maybe it was Turkish soil even.
I wish they had detailed information about her

I don't think she's Turkish.I found this:

“Eirènè’s skeleton was found in 1995 by a research team led by my predecessor, Marc Waelkens. Her final resting place was in a graveyard surrounding a chapel. We discovered Rhodon’s remains on the final day of the excavations in 2016. He was found in a brick burial chamber that is part of a larger complex of several graves. Both skeletons were nearly complete and well preserved.”

Greywolf
06-28-2022, 03:19 AM
I didn't say it was Turkish, it'd also be illogical
just nose is incompatible and it's Mountainous nose. like either Caucasian or Carpathian
apart from the nose, I think it's Greek as far as i'm concerned
but she also pass Pontus even today yeah not much Carpathian.