PDA

View Full Version : How does Karitiana language from Amazonia sound to you?

Roy
07-13-2022, 11:18 AM
It's a language spoken by Karitiana people used deep in the Amazonian forest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfqXGoFtXeQ

I think their language is very sweet & gentle, reminds me some languages used by Indians from North America, mainly ... Canada. It has nasal vowels, but there's no Brazilian Portuguese accent intrusion I think, likely due to extreme isolation.

These people are fascinating from a genetic point of view:

A 2015 genetic study reached a surprising conclusion about the origins of the Karitiana people. While the Karitiana people are closely related to other Native Americans, they share closer relations to Southeast Asians & Polynesians compared with other Native Americans which are closest to Siberians and Northeast Asians.[7][8]

A study by Iosif Lazaridis (2014) found Karitiana to carry Mal'ta MA1 (41%) admixture while the other geneflow in Karitiana appears to have an Eastern Eurasian origin.[9] A study by Kanazawa-Kiriyama et al. (2017) detected gene flow from Karitiana to Mal'ta MA1 (21%) which is in the reverse direction of what was reported in previous studies such as Raghavan et al. 2014 who used a much larger sequence data. The authors speculate that the inverse flow could be due to Ancient Beringian migration in a westward migration into Eurasia.[10]

Awuddah
07-13-2022, 11:46 AM
Ironically kind of sounds like Indian languages (from the Indian subcontinent) with a slight Portuguese accent.

Melonman
07-13-2022, 12:00 PM
Ironically kind of sounds like Indian languages (from the Indian subcontinent) with a slight Portuguese accent.

doesnt really sound south asian to be honest

Tongio
07-13-2022, 01:03 PM
Its funny It sounds like she is speaking a bunch of random japanese stuff in Brasilian portuguese, i mean the phonetics dont sound too dissimilar to pt br, maybe simpler with no nasal sounds.

Roy
07-13-2022, 01:09 PM
Its funny It sounds like she is speaking a bunch of random japanese stuff in Brasilian portuguese, i mean the phonetics dont sound too dissimilar to pt br, maybe simpler with no nasal sounds.

Karitiana has 5 nasal vowels.

Tongio
07-13-2022, 01:13 PM
Karitiana has 5 nasal vowels.

Yeah i heard It now,those are unlike the ones we have, perhaps our ă comes close.

Ranger0075
07-13-2022, 02:04 PM
It sounds japanese with some southeastern asian language going on

ÁGUIA
07-13-2022, 02:16 PM
It's a language spoken by Karitiana people used deep in the Amazonian forest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfqXGoFtXeQ

I think their language is very sweet & gentle, reminds me some languages used by Indians from North America, mainly ... Canada. It has nasal vowels, but there's no Brazilian Portuguese accent intrusion I think, likely due to extreme isolation.

These people are fascinating from a genetic point of view:

Doubtful, at least not that isolated to have no contact with Brazilian Portuguese as some of their members speak the language. The girl from the video you posted for example is a Brazilian Portuguese speaker or at minimum seems to have some knowledge of it, as she pronounces "Jesus" as "Jęsuis" similar to the Brazilian pronunciation.
They seem nice folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg2Ma_5fOes

Roy
07-13-2022, 05:34 PM
Doubtful, at least not that isolated to have no contact with Brazilian Portuguese as some of their members speak the language. The girl from the video you posted for example is a Brazilian Portuguese speaker or at minimum seems to have some knowledge of it, as she pronounces "Jesus" as "Jęsuis" similar to the Brazilian pronunciation.
They seem nice folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg2Ma_5fOes

Ok, I was wrong. But there are still literally uncontacted people in Amazonia too. Some are only a part of a tribe that is known.

Damiăo de Góis
07-13-2022, 07:49 PM
Yes, brazilian intonation is very clear.

there's no Brazilian Portuguese accent intrusion I think

Has your polish expertise in portuguese related topics expanded from economics and pigmentation now to language as well?