PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been failed at school?

Siginulfo
11-13-2011, 12:52 PM
I am not. If yes or no, write the reason.

Siginulfo
11-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Damn! I mistaken the date of closing the thread!:cry

Leliana
11-13-2011, 04:53 PM
You have failed creating a poll! :D

And no I haven't failed at school. My teachers in the Catholic Girls school I've been to set great value upon diligence and that the students accomplish their workload. :book2: It was a burdensome time but I'm more educated than most pupils from regular schools now. No pain, no gain. :old

Damiăo de Góis
11-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Yes, i deliberately failed in the 12th year because i felt i wasn't good enough at maths and physics to go to college. And i spent another year doing those two classes only.
It pay off later. I had no problems at college with maths.

Piparskeggr
11-13-2011, 04:59 PM
I have most certainly failed in classes at university...lack of proper mathematics background versus calculus and lack of interest in a couple of other classes...combine that with spates of poor self-discipline and study habits. :)

HungAryan
11-13-2011, 05:05 PM
I've never failed before, but I might fail from maths this "half-year".
In Hungary, 1 is the worst grade, 5 is the best.

I got three 1s from maths, nothing else.

11-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Failure is not an option

Bard
11-13-2011, 05:11 PM
I've never failed at school but it wouldn't have been a big deal imho.

Tabiti
11-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Hah, I've even gradulated my bachelor degree at uni with A (was the best student of the faculty and got a engraved watch with my name;)). In school I was the same however didn't win the gold star for straight A.
Funny is I don't study at home, only listen the lessons in class.

Incal
11-14-2011, 11:31 AM
I failed 2 consecutive years because I was tired of fucking school.

Peyrol
11-14-2011, 11:36 AM
I am not. If yes or no, write the reason.

No, never failed.

Vincere, o morir!

rhiannon
11-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Yes. Many times in high school, actually. I failed a couple things in junior high as well....this is when the crap with my mom's boyfriend started escalating...

My failures were not reflective of inability to do the work....the were a direct consequence of my attitude and general lack of desire to try doing my work

They were nobody's fault but mine.

My undergraduate work, however, was exemplary. :D

Magister Eckhart
11-14-2011, 07:50 PM
I've never failed on anything, ever, in relation to school.

Allenson
11-14-2011, 08:31 PM
No but I came pretty damn close my freshman year in college. Scraped by by the hairs on my chinny-chin-chin.

Rygg
11-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Once, i had to redo my second year of highschool, i was 14 at the time and going through puberty pretty badly. I really sucked back then, but afterwards i never failed, allways been top of my class with minimal effort, but that's mostly because I was never bad at school, I just wasn't interested.

Laudanum
11-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Once, i had to redo my second year of highschool, i was 14 at the time and going through puberty pretty badly. I really sucked back then, but afterwards i never failed, allways been top of my class with minimal effort, but that's mostly because I was never bad at school, I just wasn't interested.

Same here.:D

Laubach
11-14-2011, 09:48 PM
No, I've never failed. Though not good at math, I always study and overcome this deficiency. Overall, I was a good student

Oreka Bailoak
11-14-2011, 10:02 PM
No. The hardest class I've ever taken was AP Calculus-BC I and II senior year of high school. One guy in my class went to Harvard and he actually made an 84 on an exam in that class lol. I made a 78 the first semester :(. Schools are really uneven from high school to high school in course rigor.

In college freshman year my friend had a 3.75 GPA and I had a 3.0 GPA and we had one class together. I made an 89 and he got a 72- so the major you select and the courses you take matter a lot. School is really unfair.

Some of my friends who got into medical school/pharmacy school would take one BS class every semester to fluff their GPA; education classes, music class, foreign language that they already knew etc.

AJwTkALDKpY

rhiannon
11-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Some of my friends who got into medical school/pharmacy school would take one BS class every semester to fluff their GPA; education classes, music class, foreign language that they already knew etc.

I am one of the only persons in my medical school class to have graduated high school with a GPA of 1.7, never took the SAT or ACT, but managed to do very well in college and later at the university level. That's what got me in...along with the fact I was a single mom who had turned her life 180°, which apparently impressed several executive admissions committee members:D

Never did anything to fluff the college GPA, either. Stupid me!

Failure at school is generally not a reflection of intellect....but of effort and work ethic.

Han Cholo
11-15-2011, 09:20 AM
No, I've never failed. Though not good at math, I always study and overcome this deficiency. Overall, I was a good student

I used to be very good at math. I've probably now lost of my habilities as I've not used complex (or semi complex rather) maths since high school (that's more than 7 years ago) as what I'm studying right now does not make much use of it.

I liked maths because it was just doing concrete operations and processing simple rules, no need to memorize big things, subjetive concepts, study long pages.

Oreka Bailoak
11-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Failure at school is generally not a reflection of intellect....but of effort and work ethic.

No.

You can not have someone graduate from an accredited college with an engineering degree, math or hard science degree if their IQ is below a certain number. I have the data supporting what I'm saying.
http://www.amazon.com/Real-Education-Bringing-Americas-Schools/dp/0307405397/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321357547&sr=1-4

People can take shortcuts going to easy schools, or taking easy majors.

rhiannon
11-15-2011, 12:16 PM
No.

You can not have someone graduate from an accredited college with an engineering degree, math or hard science degree if their IQ is below a certain number. I have the data supporting what I'm saying.
http://www.amazon.com/Real-Education-Bringing-Americas-Schools/dp/0307405397/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321357547&sr=1-4

People can take shortcuts going to easy schools, or taking easy majors.

I know the data. I was speaking in generalities. Of course morons aren't going to be caught dead in the sciences!

Many of my fellow premeds took as many easy courses as possible outside their majors for the same reasons you mentioned in your other post.

Me? Heh. I took honors organic chemistry....at the University of Washington no less. WTF was I thinking, lol!

billErobreren
11-15-2011, 12:44 PM
I was mean spirited, pretty much invisible & also a truant but surprisingly never failed anything

Queen B
11-15-2011, 12:48 PM
No, never.

But I am way better in Maths and Physics and that stuff than in literature .

The Journeyman
11-15-2011, 12:50 PM
I basically failed all the way from 4th grade to the middle of the 11th grade because I didn't do the work or I ditched class. Then I took an independent study course at a local college and ended up not only graduating early with a 3.8 GPA, but with an added 30+ college credits under my belt.

Now that I'm in college, I take the classes that interest me, so naturally I take more pride in my work.

Oreka Bailoak
11-15-2011, 03:53 PM
I know the data. I was speaking in generalities. Of course morons aren't going to be caught dead in the sciences!

lol

After knowing quite a few people with extremely high IQ's, they use less effort to score high than lower IQ people. Even when I study with them, going over the exact same information together, they still score 10 points higher than me on Exams. Brain scans show that when high IQ people take exams they score higher, and use much less neurological energy (Arthur Jensen G-Factor). They're also much better at remembering information.

When I was little I used to think that effort was the main factor in school like you said earlier. But after looking at the data I've found that very rarely does effort matter in grades in normal college classes. Really smart people naturally pick up the course material with less effort. So it seems that in order to succeed in college there's a bare minimum effort level which really isn't that high for smart people, but the intelligence aspect is vital to passing- and without intelligence is impossible.

rhiannon
11-16-2011, 02:59 AM
lol

After knowing quite a few people with extremely high IQ's, they use less effort to score high than lower IQ people. Even when I study with them, going over the exact same information together, they still score 10 points higher than me on Exams. Brain scans show that when high IQ people take exams they score higher, and use much less neurological energy (Arthur Jensen G-Factor). They're also much better at remembering information.

When I was little I used to think that effort was the main factor in school like you said earlier. But after looking at the data I've found that very rarely does effort matter in grades in normal college classes. Really smart people naturally pick up the course material with less effort. So it seems that in order to succeed in college there's a bare minimum effort level which really isn't that high for smart people, but the intelligence aspect is vital to passing- and without intelligence is impossible.

I agree with what you said here. I would also like to add that effort and work ethic can close that gap significantly for persons who are modestly bright relative to persons who are super-bright, but lazy. I've seen a lot of that:)

safinator
11-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Not at the moment at least...

Duckelf
11-16-2011, 03:12 PM
In my sixth and final year of high school, I found out that I had already been accepted into the university that I wanted to go to, so I simply didn't go to school any more because I didn't need to and because of that I failed the classes.

larali
02-11-2013, 02:11 AM
Never failed a grade but I failed a class. It was the yearbook staff. Long story :{

Many of my fellow premeds took as many easy courses as possible outside their majors for the same reasons you mentioned in your other post.

Me? Heh. I took honors organic chemistry....at the University of Washington no less. WTF was I thinking, lol!

I did two years of pre-med. Never failed anything but that Organic Chem 2 kicked my butt ;) I made a C or something, and I knew then that I would never be a doctor.... :cry2

Aredhel
02-11-2013, 02:15 AM
Before enter university I'd never failed not even a class, but in university I've only failed 3 classes

Colonel Frank Grimes
02-11-2013, 02:16 AM
No because that would mean I'd get my ass kicked at home by my mother. The only time I ever studied in high school was if I thought I could possibly fail a class for the semester. That little woman scared the hell out of me, otherwise I wouldn't care.

arcticwolf
02-11-2013, 02:20 AM
Shit! Have I? If it wasn't for cheating and bribes I would've never finished kindergarten, never mind anything else! :laugh:

MissProvocateur
02-11-2013, 02:23 AM
Yes, and that's because I never ever did my homework for those classes. They were both focusing on Math, and Math bores me to death, it is nearly impossible for me to be able to focus on it at home. Ugh.

EagleAtHeart
02-11-2013, 02:28 AM
Well, not officially, but I did drop some classes in University I would have failed if i didn't.

Poor study habits, sleeping in and not going to class, spending all my money on other things so I couldn't buy the textbooks/course kits, etc.

The biggest thing is that I've always waited until the last moment to study for tests, sometimes a couple hours before the test I'll crack open the textbook for the first time. I got a mnemonic memory, meaning I can prioritize things in my mind very quickly, and it usually works in my favor, but not always (under 10% in a mid-term Econometrics class last year, etc.).

EagleAtHeart
02-11-2013, 02:37 AM
Also, sitting for hours in a lecture is tantamount to torture for me. When I do go to class, which is rare, it usually requires copious amounts of Jack Danials. So, I'm sure that doesn't work in my favor.

I majored in Math because most required courses were natural sciences, math, physics, etc. this way I wasn't required to do essays, research, or readings... classes that you have to keep up with. That would have drove me crazy. With science, you just study, then write tests. So, my method works 90% of the time. But when it doesn't, it's quite disastrous.

Caismeachd
02-11-2013, 02:46 AM
No, I never failed. I was too smart. But we moved so often that I missed a lot of school and I regret that. Not really my fault though.

Oneeye
02-11-2013, 03:13 AM
Never failed any class yet. At the moment I have straight A's.

Piparskeggr
02-15-2013, 03:16 AM
I failed in academics a few times (got some D's too) when I attended Norwich University (the military college in Vermont, USA), which is why I ended up with a grade point average of 1.88 after 9 semesters of school (which became 1.92 after changes in the way things are figured over the years).

I was readmitted as a nontraditional student last spring to finish my degree by long distance methods. One of my former professor is still teaching there and offered to be my mentor.

I took a course in Professional and Technical Writing, got an "A." That makes this my 1st ever 4.0 semester. :D I now have a 1.98 grade point average.

I had another hiatus due to my wife getting a job after dealing with Service connected disabilities for 15 years (her move to Maryland, me packing up the house in Illinois, my move to Maryland, finding a new position with my employer...).

I have been in contact with Norwich and am listed as a student in good standing. I need one more elective (likely a writing, history or humanities course) with an "A" or "B" grade and I will have earned my degree (if the timeline holds) 38 years after I first set foot on the grounds of Norwich as a student.

derLowe
02-15-2013, 05:24 AM
I only failed a few classes at university.

silver_surfer
11-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Haven't failed yet... Although most of the time I used to study a day before the exam, still I managed to score good grades in school § high school.

Leon_C
11-14-2013, 07:07 PM
I failed a Biology exam one time, but I got an A on the next one having not revised any differently. Biology examiners must be retarded, or maybe I am retarded.

gregorius
11-14-2013, 07:08 PM
No,

Melina
11-14-2013, 07:10 PM
There was just one class I failed at the university and that was the writing class then I did the class again and passed. The professor though was very strict.

gregorius
11-14-2013, 07:13 PM
I failed at Quantum Physics part 2 last year but I managed to pass after the second time

Piparskeggr
11-15-2013, 01:50 AM
Addenda to my previous comments...

Early last year I applied to my alma mater (Norwich University, the military college in Vermont, USA) to return as a nontraditional completion student and was accepted.

They looked at my record and took out a couple of courses, which are no longer taught. They also accepted credits I earned at the Springfield Technical and US Air Force Community Colleges I attended.

This left me with 2 courses to take.

Last Summer (June - August 2012) I got an A in Professional and Technical Writing.

This Summer (studies interrupted by the move from Illinois to Maryland) I earned an A in World Economy and Globalization.

My graduation date is 24 August 2013, 38 years to the day from when I first set foot on campus.

blklady2013
11-15-2013, 01:58 AM
No, but I've had some close calls.
Three words: Self-Paced Astronomy
Why the hell would I do that to myself? Of course I waited until 2 weeks before the course is over to try and cram in and entire semester's worth of unit lessons. Because I'm trifling like that sometimes.
But I do know what a redshift is now and I can tell you about event horizons on black holes and electromagnetic waves in space...lol!

alb0zfinest
11-15-2013, 02:03 AM
Haven't failed. But to me grades, awards are useless. Not a very good way to determines ones intelligence.

Dandelion
11-15-2013, 09:01 AM
No, but I've had some close calls.
Three words: Self-Paced Astronomy
Why the hell would I do that to myself? Of course I waited until 2 weeks before the course is over to try and cram in and entire semester's worth of unit lessons. Because I'm trifling like that sometimes.
But I do know what a redshift is now and I can tell you about event horizons on black holes and electromagnetic waves in space...lol!

I tend to delay when I had a few easy exams in a row I hardly had to study for and then comes the underestimation of the course that follows.
Sucks to cram in all that material while you could study it at a far slower easier pace (with free time to spare).

Bartuc
12-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Haven't failed. But to me grades, awards are useless. Not a very good way to determines ones intelligence.

Yes. Finishing school and getting a college degree is important as it shows you have the drive and the discipline required in order to succeed (specially when applying to a job), even knowing some classes are a waste of time. As for it judging someone's intelligence is a matter of debate. Intelligence (and we are talking about "potential") has nothing to do with the level of education you have. Some studies show a positive correlation between intelligence and time in school/university but it's not a rule. I find that is more related to discipline and grit.

I know lots of idiotic people with degrees (typical parrots) and some brilliant minds that didn't finish high-school but read a lot, think a lot and are very original in their ideas while they find formal education very boring, lack the grit, discipline, motivation and yet they know how to connect the dots between various disciplines.

There is also a big difference between conceptual and procedural knowledge. And most Universities and schools are failing miserably in connecting these two.