PDA

View Full Version : Does being R0 mean I have balkan origins from mother's side?

HectorOfTroy
11-04-2022, 04:51 PM
My mtDNA is `R0` (23andme), my (late) maternal grandmother's mom is of italian origins (North Italy i heard), my maternal grandma also said she has gypsy blood (no one else in my family really believes it though). When I saw I was R0 and put it in wikipedia it says it occurs in decent sized frequencies amongst the Kalash of Pakistan (23%) so I thought it could be indian/gypsy but now I really doubt that because it does not occur in notable frequencies ( >=1.67%) in any indian or indian like population besides Kalash (and Kalash are significantly more IE-like than the rest of India). Wikipedia says it occurs in moderate frequencies amongst Dalmatians, the highest frequencies are in Soqotri Arabs (40.7%), with Chad arabs and other East African groups followed next after Kalash in frequency. Given its high frequency in Middle East type region and East Africa and a little bit in Europe, im guessing this haplogroup is more like the maternal equivalent of J or E group?

EDIT: I have an Eastern European 5th cousin who's 3/4 Bosnian/Herzegovinian + 1/4 Ashkenazi with the same mtDNA as me, and I also have trace amounts of dna from Balkans/Eastern Europe (like 1%)

Hulu
11-04-2022, 05:18 PM
Your grandmother was right it seems.

HectorOfTroy
11-04-2022, 05:34 PM
Your grandmother was right it seems.

R0 is not a mitochondrial haplo amongst/attributed to gypsies or indians

Hulu
11-04-2022, 05:37 PM
R0 is not a haplo amongst/attributed to gypsies

From your own post, the majority is on Paki Kalash and Yemenis.

That also explains the darkness of Dalmatians by the way.

HectorOfTroy
11-04-2022, 05:43 PM
From your own post, the majority is on Paki Kalash and Yemenis.

That also explains the darkness of Dalmatians by the way.

Yeah but Kalash is the only indian-ish group its been found in, nowhere else in other indian groups, and Kalash are amongst the most Indo European (and possibly MENA) like of the indian/paki groups. R0 has been found in copper age eastern europe way before gypsies were a thing and in the Iberian peninsula too during those very early times.
I dont think its indian anymore than E1b1b is east african :confused:?

Hulu
11-04-2022, 06:09 PM
Yeah but Kalash is the only indian-ish group its been found in, nowhere else in other indian groups, and Kalash are amongst the most Indo European (and possibly MENA) like of the indian/paki groups. R0 has been found in copper age eastern europe way before gypsies were a thing and in the Iberian peninsula too during those very early times.
I dont think its indian anymore than E1b1b is east african :confused:?

Ev13 is only present in Europe. R0 seems absent in Europe except in tiny amounts..

HectorOfTroy
11-04-2022, 06:57 PM
edit: I see

Dick
11-04-2022, 11:15 PM
23andme is not good with haplos. R0 is vague, like the great x grandma of H

HectorOfTroy
11-05-2022, 12:52 AM
23andme is not good with haplos. R0 is vague, like the great x grandma of H

Don't some people still have very ancient haplos? It gave me R-S939 for my Y which is fairly specific I'd think

Dick
11-05-2022, 01:20 AM
Don't some people still have very ancient haplos? It gave me R-S939 for my Y which is fairly specific I'd think

I doubt it since they should be mutating. I did full sequence mtdna on ftdna and uploaded the file to yfull. Matches go back to the Middle Ages