PDA

View Full Version : Have you researched your genealogy?

Albion
11-23-2011, 12:19 AM
I've researched some of it but haven't got too far yet. I might just pay a researcher.

Osweo
11-23-2011, 12:31 AM
THe main fun is the doing it yourself. And I wouldn't trust somebody else. They'd just toss a coin when it got iffy, and the like.

I've done a lot of mine, and paid hardly anything for it, except nine quid twice, for some marriage certificates. I can get back to the 1780s for a lot of lines, so it's well doable if they weren't incomers from Ireland or Scotland.

Damião de Góis
11-23-2011, 12:35 AM
I once asked my mother where her's and my father's grandparents where from. That was it.

Beorn
11-23-2011, 12:36 AM
Soten helped start me off. HE didn't quite 'toss a coin', but he did get it right. :P

I'm off to photograph my great-grandparents gravestones this weekend.

We are such a fun, life go getting bunch.

Albion
11-23-2011, 12:40 AM
THe main fun is the doing it yourself. And I wouldn't trust somebody else. They'd just toss a coin when it got iffy, and the like.

I've done a lot of mine, and paid hardly anything for it, except nine quid twice, for some marriage certificates. I can get back to the 1780s for a lot of lines, so it's well doable if they weren't incomers from Ireland or Scotland.

I know, I'm unsure about trusting someone else too.

I don't find it fun though, I find it time consuming and boring. I find the results interesting but the research laborious.
How did you research yours? Internet or local records?

I keep turning up more and more bloody Irish though, I'm going to have to rethink my ethnicity soon. :D
The newest Irish person I found was from Wexford but I also found out she and her husband owned a local shop too :thumbs up. No maiden name listed though, I'll have to try and find it.

I've found a reputable researcher though who I've already spoken to about it. They seem decent enough.

Logan
11-23-2011, 12:48 AM
A bit from far away. I'm not too concerned with the many branches.

Fremington 1500s
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2182/5762592736_5a1e1f5ed8.jpg

Osweo
11-23-2011, 12:48 AM
I know, I'm unsure about trusting someone else too.
Well, I should have said, Soten helped me out too, AND Peasant did! :D And the old feller who is my neighbour (he gave me his router and a mounted saw too!)... :p Recently, I got help off a total stranger I emailed, too! She had her name listed on a Lincolnshire genealogy website, indicating she was interested in Gardiners, so I wrote to her about mine, and she did LOADS of searching for me! :cool:

I tell you, some people get so into it, they WANT to do other people's trees! I've more or less exhausted what i can do with mine now, and even I miss the detective aspect of it all.

There were various scams available, when I did most of mine though, and I fear the loopholes have since been plugged up... ;)

I don't find it fun though, I find it time consuming and boring. I find the results interesting but the research laborious.
How did you research yours? Internet or local records?
All on the net. Except for the two marriage certificates I mentioned, that gave me leads to continue on the net. There's LOADS of resources now. The Mormons, message boards, parish record societies... free birth, marriage and death stuff....

I keep turning up more and more bloody Irish though, I'm going to have to rethink my ethnicity soon. :D
The newest Irish person I found was from Wexford but I also found out she and her husband owned a local shop too :thumbs up. No maiden name listed though, I'll have to try and find it.
Ooh! Posh Paddies, with a SHOP! :eek: :D

I've found a reputable researcher though who I've already spoken to about it. They seem decent enough.
It's your money to throw away. ;)

Most local libraries have subscriptions to 'Find my Past' and Ancestry.com now, you know. The Manchester one even let you do it from HOME with a password!

Albion
11-23-2011, 01:06 AM
Cool, thanks for the info Os. So far I've been using what I've been told by family, Free Cen, Free BMD and a few other records I found.
There's some guy who left a will in a village nearby 500 years ago with my surname and I'm wondering if we're related.

I'm also wondering whether my paternal side is a offshoot of a family of the same surname in Staffordshire. If it is then I can save some money by not going to 23andme because I know the result from one of the descendants in Staffordshire.
On a negative note it is a haplogroup I wouldn't want to be at all. Most of the other bearers of my surname in the country belong to R1b (the common type) and I1 to proportions which basically mirror those of the whole English population.
Just two of the carriers of the surname have been found to have other less desirable types, and no, they're rare but not in a good way.
So I'm actually on a quest to prove mine is a different, unrelated branch.

I suppose I should stop being so cheap and just pay the money.

Supreme American
11-23-2011, 01:11 AM
My aunt and I did some email correspondence, she knew far more than I, obviously. She paid a researcher got a small treasure trove of stuff. I have more names, I have details, and best, I have pictures!

I found out my great-grandmother's brother died in the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

I have a photograph that my great-great-grandfather took, as he was partly a photographer by trade. I also have a picture of him with a big mustache. He was born in England, came to America, and worked for the Union Army as a civilian map maker. I wonder if I get my drawing talent from him.

I seriously need to scan and upload some of this stuff.

Osweo
11-23-2011, 01:20 AM
I found out my great-grandmother's brother died in the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

LoL, I think mine did too! Let me work it out...

me, dad, nana, mama, Jim Gleeson, Johanna Leahy, aha!

My great GREAT gran's brother! I don't know his name, though, other than that he was a Leahy.

Fuck, imagine YOURS was a Leahy! Go on, surprise me, Cousin! :D

Derelict
11-23-2011, 03:38 AM
It was rather easy for me, a distant relative from Germany showed me the info with the origins of our ancestors since 1753 til the emigration of a branch to Chile. From then on the rest of the info was also easy to find, found a website with the genealogies of german families in Chile since their arrival (http://www.genealog.cl/Alemanes/#ArbolesGenealogicos). I'm satisfied with that much! I wouldn't be tempted to pay to know more than that

Supreme American
11-23-2011, 08:28 PM
LoL, I think mine did too! Let me work it out...

me, dad, nana, mama, Jim Gleeson, Johanna Leahy, aha!

My great GREAT gran's brother! I don't know his name, though, other than that he was a Leahy.

Fuck, imagine YOURS was a Leahy! Go on, surprise me, Cousin! :D

Actually the young man that died in the quake was a Quinn. John Quinn, I think. Papa from Tipperary.

Supreme American
11-23-2011, 08:31 PM
So what is a good thread for posting ancestor photos on? I'm thinking of sharing a few.

Der Steinadler
11-23-2011, 08:41 PM
i've done some.

it's well worth it, you can see a bit of history.

Odoacer
11-23-2011, 09:05 PM
So what is a good thread for posting ancestor photos on? I'm thinking of sharing a few.

See here (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15716&highlight=ancestors). :thumbs up

Graham
11-23-2011, 09:16 PM

I've traced quite a bit of the tree and hav'nt found any Irish ancestry at all. I'm going to have it all presented to my Grandad Finlay.

The English side of the family have a few Scottish names in it like MacDowall and MacNaughten.

The Shetland side was easy. It was all ready done. :D The furthest it goes, is mid 17th century to the names Ninian and Patrick, they changed to Ninianson and Peterson.

I'm really trying to stay on path now sticking with greatgrandparents names. It plays with my mind doing the tree.

http://www.familysearch.org is a good website also if you get to the 18th century.

Osweo
11-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Actually the young man that died in the quake was a Quinn. John Quinn, I think. Papa from Tipperary.
ah, not Leahy. :p

But my grandmother's sister married a Quinn in Tipperary, near Thurles. We can't be that unconnected. :D

Supreme American
11-23-2011, 09:27 PM
See here (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15716&highlight=ancestors). :thumbs up

Sweet, thx! I'll be posting there pretty soon!!

Here it is!!!!

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=601952&postcount=34

Supreme American
11-23-2011, 10:05 PM
ah, not Leahy. :p

But my grandmother's sister married a Quinn in Tipperary, near Thurles. We can't be that unconnected. :D

Probably. I'd imagine the relation rate of Quinns in Tipperary has to be pretty high. :thumbs up

heyaitsme
11-23-2011, 10:15 PM
I already know it so what's the point?

Ouistreham
11-23-2011, 10:35 PM
I know all of my ancestors who lived in the mid-18th century. I have over 2,000 names in my files, with places of birth and death, dates, occupation etc.

(Unfortunately I didn't find any prince or nobleman whatsoever in my ancestry. Only farmers, day labourers, craftsmen, especially carpenters... :( The most prestigious status I found was a sort of village lawyer who lived in Brittany cause he was the only literate one in the neighbourhood.)

My oldest registered ancestors were born in Normandy around 1540.

The only big problem I have is about my German/Luxembourgish/Lorrain branch in the early 17th century.

Investigating your own genealogy is unbelievably easy in France. Most departments offer all vital and parish records for free online (green districts):

http://fr.geneawiki.com/images/5/5b/Carte_ad_etat_civil_interne.jpg

Odoacer
11-23-2011, 11:10 PM
I have done my own genealogical research, largely through Ancestry.com.

Peyrol
11-23-2011, 11:13 PM
I've researched some of it but haven't got too far yet. I might just pay a researcher.

I researched my genealogy and I found information till 1116.

Piparskeggr
11-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Have some lines back 15 or 16 generations, have others back 3 or 4...

MagnaLaurentia
11-30-2011, 12:26 AM
I know all of my ancestors who lived in the mid-18th century. I have over 2,000 names in my files, with places of birth and death, dates, occupation etc.

(Unfortunately I didn't find any prince or nobleman whatsoever in my ancestry. Only farmers, day labourers, craftsmen, especially carpenters... :( The most prestigious status I found was a sort of village lawyer who lived in Brittany cause he was the only literate one in the neighbourhood.)

My oldest registered ancestors were born in Normandy around 1540.

The only big problem I have is about my German/Luxembourgish/Lorrain branch in the early 17th century.

Investigating your own genealogy is unbelievably easy in France. Most departments offer all vital and parish records for free online (green districts):

http://fr.geneawiki.com/images/5/5b/Carte_ad_etat_civil_interne.jpg

Tu utilises quel site web?

McRingo
02-12-2012, 03:42 AM
I came here because I thought it was a genealogy discussion board. Shit howdy

My father's parents were County Monaghan, Ireland who met in New York and later married. The goods on them: Even after journeying back to Ireland I can only find 100 years or so background. Farmers or bakers all.

The maternal side: One great G father was from England who shortly after arriving in the US fought in the American Civil War. Some others were from Ireland and others came from Scotland who had lived in Ireland. The buck stops in Ireland with information (to sum it up)

One link that I discovered this year...A great great grandfather's line can be traced to 980. Belgium to Zeeland, Holland to New Amsterdam (later New York, US) to New Jersey to Kentucky to Oklahoma to California.

3 of them fought in the Revolutionary War..One's house I can find on a plat map of early New York.

ANYWAY, I hope I am allowed to lurk because I love reading and learning about other people (warning I may throw if a "fuck" or 2 because my oldest son is gay, and my favorite brother in law was Mexican (more Indian than Spanish) and well...your posting is so *foreign* me.

larali
03-21-2012, 01:38 AM
I've researched it myself, and with help from my aunt, and a third party researcher. Still so much info to be had.

GeistFaust
03-21-2012, 01:47 AM
I've researched it myself, and with help from my aunt, and a third party researcher. Still so much info to be had.

If you need any additional help I have free access to all the American records on ancestry.com, although that does not always guarantee I will find something.

larali
03-21-2012, 01:53 AM
If you need any additional help I have free access to all the American records on ancestry.com, although that does not always guarantee I will find something.

Wow, really? Is that a special service? I haven't been active on there for a few months, but I will get in touch with you. Thanks for offering, Geist. :)

GeistFaust
03-21-2012, 02:02 AM
Wow, really? Is that a special service? I haven't been active on there for a few months, but I will get in touch with you. Thanks for offering, Geist. :)

Yes, I have found my way to find some hard lines to get at, sometimes with the help of others. That said I have gaps in my tree as well, but if the information out there it will be found.

I helped Boudica at one point find large sections of her family, and I have found some of mine over ancestry.com.

If you want anything looked up then just PM me, and I will be more than glad to it. Its a personal hobby to look up this kind of stuff, and I enjoy tracing it all back to a certain point.

larali
03-21-2012, 02:09 AM
Most. awesome. !! <3

riverman
03-21-2012, 02:15 AM
Yes, to some extent. Some was already researched and I've done some of my own research.

GeistFaust
03-21-2012, 02:16 AM
I have researched my genealogy extensively, and most of it has been via the internet or relatives. I have used ancestry.com, world connect, genealogy.com, family search, ect for my ancestral searches. A lot of the stuff on my mom's side has been found or is known to some extent or another through hearsay or census records.

There are a few pieces of the puzzle that I need to connect, but I have a good general understanding of my mom's ancestry, which might only have one minor inconsistency in it. The one story from a family member on my mom's side is not aligning with the census record information, but it seems like that side of the family is quite mysterious.

The rest of the information I got from family members on my mom's side was accurate, and allowed me to find some more information online. I have found a ton of information on my dad's side just through places like world connect and ancestry.com, which have been amazing aids.

I still have only a few distant sides, which I do not know about on my grandmother's side going back to the 1700s. On my grandfather's side I am missing a few links from the Mid 1800 time period, but other than that I am doing quite well.

Beethoven
04-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Im very interested but there is no way i can do it. Nobody knows anything.

I only know till 1900 - my ancestors wasnt slaves or something they was rich but i have no idea how to research it.

Bogdan
12-15-2018, 05:58 PM
Yes. It’s an ongoing project for me.

itilvolga
12-15-2018, 06:05 PM
I did but could not achieve anything