PDA

View Full Version : Who has contributed more to metal music?

Zephyr
11-23-2011, 09:58 AM
:cool:

rhiannon
11-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Led Zeppelin/Black Sabbath are in a deadlock for that title:)

Zephyr
11-23-2011, 10:18 AM
I've narrowed the choice :D

Joe will be so happy at me!

Joe McCarthy
11-23-2011, 10:19 AM
I've narrowed the choice :D

Joe will be so happy at me!

Not really. I hate modern music.

Zephyr
11-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Damn, forgot to make the poll public.

Actually, I think that Iron Maiden had a larger musical influence, but american technology gave Metallica a sound that pushed music quality to an upper level.

Americans always had better amps and tubes.

I'd say about even, but I'll always prefer Metallica golden years.

Damiăo de Góis
11-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Metallica were probably listening to Iron Maiden when they released their first album.

Eldritch
11-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Metallica were probably listening to Iron Maiden when they released their first album.

It could be said that Metallica is, indirectly, one of Iron Maiden's contributions to metal music.

Gratis
11-28-2011, 08:25 PM
It is easily Iron Maiden. Metallica contributed almost nothing but popularity.

Zephyr
11-28-2011, 08:42 PM
It is easily Iron Maiden. Metallica contributed almost nothing but popularity.

Not true. The Big 4 of the american thrash metal scene were pivotal to the development of heavier sounds. Works like Master of Puppets and Reign In Blood... There was nothing like those at the time, exactly 25 years ago. :)

Gratis
11-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Not true. The Big 4 of the american thrash metal scene were pivotal to the development of heavier sounds. Works like Master of Puppets and Reign In Blood... There was nothing like those at the time. :)

Yes it is true. No one in the so-called 'Big 4' outside of Slayer actually had as much of an influential impact on the progression of the more extreme genres of metal (thrash/death/black metal) than the likes of Sodom, Bathory, Venom etc.

Master of Puppets hardly brought anything new to the table.

Albion
11-28-2011, 09:03 PM
I vote Eddie, Iron Maiden is the better of the two. Sorry Aussies.

http://biloxxxi.com/biloxxxi/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/IronMaidenEddie8.jpg

Troll's Puzzle
11-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Damn, forgot to make the poll public.

Actually, I think that Iron Maiden had a larger musical influence, but american technology gave Metallica a sound that pushed music quality to an upper level.

Americans always had better amps and tubes.

I'd say about even, but I'll always prefer Metallica golden years.

I don't agree, Jim Marshall is English, and american metal/amps etc sounds like an over-amplified, over-distorted wet fart

because that's 'br00000tal' :rolleyes:

Zephyr
11-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Yes it is true. No one in the so-called 'Big 4' outside of Slayer actually had as much of an influential impact on the progression of the more extreme genres of metal (thrash/death/black metal) than the likes of Sodom, Bathory, Venom etc.

Mate... There was nothing on the table like Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets in 1984 and 1986 respectively. That's why these works earned their place in history. This is a fact, many witnessed, I witnessed.

You may dislike it, but you cannot change history.

Laubach
11-28-2011, 09:55 PM
I like more metallica than the iron maiden, but I must admit that the iron had a more significantly impact in the music scene

Nurzat
11-28-2011, 09:56 PM
maiden

Zephyr
11-28-2011, 11:35 PM
I don't agree, Jim Marshall is English, and american metal/amps etc sounds like an over-amplified, over-distorted wet fart

because that's 'br00000tal' :rolleyes:

That's why so many bands endorsed by Jim Marshall use his amps as dummy stacks.

Don't drag nationalism to this "debate". Marshall is the McDonalds of the music world and you get what you pay for it.

Gratis
11-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Mate... There was nothing on the table like Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets in 1984 and 1986 respectively. That's why these works earned their place in history. This is a fact, many witnessed, I witnessed.

The popularity of those albums doesn't give any credence to their role in the innovation or progression of metal. Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning were the only albums where Metallica somewhat helped to establish and expand thrash and speed metal, there was already plenty of thrash albums that had more of an impact on the genre when Master of Puppets was released. Of course it's one of the most identifiable albums of thrash metal, that's not what I'm arguing against.

I feel like a 15 year old again arguing about this pointless shit.

Zephyr
11-29-2011, 12:49 AM
there was already plenty of thrash albums that had more of an impact on the genre when Master of Puppets was released

Such as? let's roll back to 1986 and tell me what are those plenty of thrash albums with more impact.

I'm not screwing around, honestly, I might have missed something.

I even prefer other bands and I'm not even a Metallica fan and it's not even my favourite work as I prefer AJFA, as the matter a fact I think they are dick heads and Lars is a mediocre musician but can you compare what others doing when Metallica recorded a track like Orion?

That's what brought them popularity. First thrash metal album to become gold, without music videos or airplay, without MTV.

Jake Featherston
11-29-2011, 03:32 AM

There's no "probably" about it. Without Iron Maiden, its questionable whether there would even BE a Metallica. Both bands were seminal, but Iron Maiden was more crucially influential.

Jake Featherston
11-29-2011, 03:33 AM

I'll go along with that, but "Ride the Lightning" and "Kill 'em All" were influential.

Riki
11-29-2011, 04:45 AM

Do not forget Kill em All and even Garage Days,that all ready showed a distinctive sound.

Eldritch
11-29-2011, 11:06 AM
There's no "probably" about it. Without Iron Maiden, its questionable whether there would even BE a Metallica. Both bands were seminal, but Iron Maiden was more crucially influential.

Agreed. But it is somewhat unfair to compare two bands that started out at different times, with one of them having (unquestionably, as you point out) influenced the other.

Although, I must admit I have committed the same sin myself (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37011). :embarrassed

Raskolnikov
11-29-2011, 01:07 PM
WElvEZj0Ltw

I don't know, but Hetfield's songwriting touches me 'n shit.

Rosenrot
11-29-2011, 01:28 PM
love both

Tarja
11-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Seems an unfair comparison.

I love Metallica, though.

Troll's Puzzle
11-30-2011, 07:03 PM
That's why so many bands endorsed by Jim Marshall use his amps as dummy stacks.

Don't drag nationalism to this "debate". Marshall is the McDonalds of the music world and you get what you pay for it.

I'm not bringing nationalism into it. It's just the truth that Marshall is English and until the end of the 80s nearly all hard rock/metal was using Marshall or Marshall clones.

I don't like most metal/rock recorded since 1990 and I suspect the use of american 'wet fart' technology has something to do with it (the same thing you think puts it on a higher level :rolleyes:). Over-distortion = loss of frequencies, sucks all the tone and colour out the music but it does make it more 'br00tal' and 'hardcore', which is what the kidz want, I guess (although sales are down since the 80s, and the 80s and before bands still headline everything... so much for 'moved to the next level'.... plus the fans are uglier ;P and have all these ethnic hairstyles, piercings and tattoos now)

if i wanted to bring nationalism into it, i'd have said that maiden are tr00 aryans, while metallica have a spic and a mixed-gookazoid. and maiden sings very patriotic lyrics, and often use great english literature or european figures as reference points in their songs. therefore they must be the better. actually, that doesn't sound too unreasonable now I've stated it :wink

Der Steinadler
11-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Not really. I hate modern music.

i share the sentiment.

most, if not all, is generated purely for commercial reasons.

Zephyr
12-01-2011, 01:02 AM
Over-distortion = loss of frequencies, sucks all the tone and colour out the music but it does make it more 'br00tal' and 'hardcore',

Actually the problem with british tubes/valves is their poor clarity when saturated, they lose tone in every aspect. Sound becomes fuzzy, square and high pitched. So...

Jim Marshall always tried to overcome his poor knowledge of electronics and lack of availability of appropriate components in Britain at reasonable prices with... loudness. Like so many people do, they just push the volume up. Hence his nickname.

You are trying to link the american technology with your distaste for their bands and music trends, narrowing it to something completely unrelated which speaks volumes of over-distorted and br00tal nationalism. :D

TheBorrebyViking
12-01-2011, 01:11 AM
Dark Angel>Metallica.

Pallantides
12-01-2011, 01:55 AM
I'm not really a fan of either, but I have seen Iron Maiden live though, so my vote goes to them.