PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Netherlands

Freomęg
04-14-2009, 07:33 PM
There seems to be vague recognition on my Dutch side of Spanish ancestry. I've not been able to find out much but I wonder if it could be due to the Spanish occupation of the southern Netherlands during 1579-1713.

Anyone care to share what they know of the genetic impact this might have had?

Bloodeagle
04-14-2009, 11:25 PM
There seems to be vague recognition on my Dutch side of Spanish ancestry. I've not been able to find out much but I wonder if it could be due to the Spanish occupation of the southern Netherlands during 1579-1713.

Anyone care to share what they know of the genetic impact this might have had?

A very good friend of mine is 1/2 Dutch and 1/2 English.
His fathers side [Dutch] is dark complected, darker than Arnold Schwarzenegger dark.
His fathers middle name is Maria. I think he might be part Spanish.

Freomęg
04-15-2009, 09:13 AM
His fathers side [Dutch] is dark complected, darker than Arnold Schwarzenegger dark.
It seems to be common. My Dutch mother has dark hair and eyes but ironically I think it's her less dark-pigmented father that may have the Spanish ancestry - though I'm not certain. The dark genes come from my Dutch oma (grandma) and she looks very much alpinid, so I'm unsure as to whether the features are of mediterranean origin or perhaps Austrian/alpinid origin.

I can't seem to find any good information on the genetic influence of the Spanish occupation.

Rico33
12-28-2019, 04:53 AM
The Spanish influences are not enough to explain dark features of people. It is a much older influence from somewhere else.

sioned
02-16-2020, 11:29 AM
Spanish troops in the low Countries werent exclusively Spanish, mos of their soldiers were Germans infact.