PDA

View Full Version : Scandinavia or Indonesia? Where would you rather live?

black hole
03-14-2023, 08:44 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/Kzx4jWLq/Indonesia-Sw-eden-Locator-svg.png

Scandinavia / Northern Europe (Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland and Iceland)

https://t4.ftcdn.net/jpg/01/91/36/83/360_F_191368323_FEgsmX2pIM0BK1rTpFHchTwVjOV3g8Tl.j pg

Indonesia

https://cdn.theculturetrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/shutterstock_700025947-650x434.jpg

Beowulf
03-14-2023, 08:45 PM
Scandinavia

black hole
03-14-2023, 08:46 PM
Scandinavia

It is obvious. Your nickname says a lot xD

Methuselah
03-14-2023, 08:48 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/Kzx4jWLq/Indonesia-Sw-eden-Locator-svg.png

Scandinavia / Northern Europe (Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland and Iceland)

https://t4.ftcdn.net/jpg/01/91/36/83/360_F_191368323_FEgsmX2pIM0BK1rTpFHchTwVjOV3g8Tl.j pg

Indonesia

https://cdn.theculturetrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/shutterstock_700025947-650x434.jpg

Finland is Nordic, not Scandinavian country. Scandinavia + Finland= Nordic countries/Northern Europe. Scandinavia= Nordic countries− Finland. Well, Finland used to be part of Sweden and fits culturally but still.

black hole
03-14-2023, 08:51 PM
Finland is Nordic, not Scandinavian country. Scandinavia + Finland= Nordic countries/Northern Europe. Scandinavia= Nordic countries− Finland. Well, Finland used to be part of Sweden and fits culturally but still.

Sometimes Finland considered as a Scandinavian area(if Iceland is considered as Scandinavian, why not Finland?), but in my case it is Nordic or Northern Europe which I have mentioned already.

Dušan
03-14-2023, 08:52 PM
Scandinavia

CordedWhelp
03-14-2023, 09:00 PM
Scandinavia, for sure.

Colan
03-14-2023, 09:05 PM
Indonesia

Gallop
03-14-2023, 11:30 PM
xd

Marshall Theodore
03-15-2023, 01:52 AM
Scandinavia

Methuselah
03-15-2023, 02:54 AM
Sometimes Finland considered as a Scandinavian area(if Iceland is considered as Scandinavian, why not Finland?), but in my case it is Nordic or Northern Europe which I have mentioned already.

Yes i see. Well, why not Finland? Well Finland can fit because of similar lifestyle and culture, but is usually not included because other Nordic nations (including Icelanders) speak Germanic languages and Finns speak Finno-Ugric language.

Kriptc06
03-15-2023, 02:58 AM
Scandinavia, probably Norway

Incal
03-15-2023, 03:50 AM
I'll never pick Islamic so North Pole.

Todesritter
03-15-2023, 02:50 PM
Scandinavia, Denmark or Norway, ideally somewhere more rural. Even though I'm not as fond of cold weather, I am fond of nature and the economic systems and job market within these countries are still functional, the rural areas don't suffer from overpopulation and I've gotten along with Scandinavian people in the past.

I'd sooner eat nothing but unseasoned chicken for a year than move to a third world muslim country.

black hole
03-15-2023, 06:34 PM
More comments?

Ruggery
03-15-2023, 07:24 PM
Scandinavia
Seriously this is like choosing between the Netherlands and Paraguay.

Jingle Bell
03-15-2023, 07:45 PM
For life quality Scandinavia for sure, thats not even under question xd but i rly like florested places especially mediterrean or tropical ones, so i dont rly know, but prob Scandinavia

Sarin
03-15-2023, 08:19 PM
Indonesia provided there are investing schemes like that of LIC's Jeevan Akshay .

(I guess it was a co-incidence when I had this (https://youtube.com/shorts/CLKTvIXTd0o?) in my YT feed just after ^post)

Seya
03-15-2023, 08:22 PM
Baliiii :clapping
The nature is amazing in that region. It's like a small heaven.

Celestia
03-15-2023, 08:33 PM
Scandinavia

Odelia
03-27-2023, 05:24 AM
Like choosing between cancer. One is too cold and dreary and the other is a third world tropical hellhole. Sheez...

robertb
03-27-2023, 06:27 PM
I hate hot humid tropics. Maybe OK for a vacation but not for every day living, would be hell if you had an outdoor job.

nittionia
03-27-2023, 06:35 PM
Scandinavia but would pick Finland

Jankec
03-27-2023, 06:47 PM
Indonesia (something like Bali, but less "fancy"). I would buy a hostel or apartment and rent it to tourists.

lala_12
03-27-2023, 07:08 PM
indonesia 4 sure . the water and trees there r beautiful

Zohor
03-27-2023, 08:06 PM
1. When Iceland become Scandinavia? I look on Scandinavian peninsula and I don't see Iceland there
2. Indonesia is very diverse country, most country is Muslim(some areas even use Sharia law like Aceh) but you also have some Hinduist dominant islands like Bali and even some dominantly Christian

Anyways for me it's Scandinavia considering in my local town there are some Indonesians, they are nice but if they decide to move thousands of kilometers just to earn some money then it's not so good and climate.
In short, as average citizen Scandinavia, as hell rich person Indonesia

de Burgh II
03-27-2023, 08:17 PM
Scandinavia. I'd take polar, arctic weather over a tropical sweatshop anytime of the day. Also, the living standards are probably better than Indonesia, but that isn't a huge factor for my preference.

Scar95
03-27-2023, 08:23 PM
1st world or 3rd world? Easy choice.

Incal
03-27-2023, 09:05 PM
U20 World Cup in Indonesia could be postponed because muslims don't want jews to play lol

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/u-20-world-cup-draw-bali-postponed-amid-protest-against-israel-participation-2023-03-26/

Loki
03-30-2023, 12:45 AM
Indonesia, for sure. On one of the thousands of small tropical islands.

Annihilus
03-30-2023, 01:32 AM
I'll take the cold anytime

retfala
03-30-2023, 11:06 PM
Scandinavia, Norway.
Beautiful landscapes. Although I don't particularly enjoy the cold, I would choose it over tropical weather any day.

Tsuin
03-31-2023, 12:08 AM
Scandinavia (Iceland) no doubt, Indonesia is too hot and humid

Occiput in Starlight
03-31-2023, 12:16 AM
I would live with the superior mariners.

Jana
04-05-2023, 02:22 PM
Indonesia by far. One of most beautiful places on earth with amazing bio diversity and temples.

Scandinavia is extremely unappealing to me.

Dandelion
04-05-2023, 02:35 PM
Indonesia is a country I'd love to visit. I just don't like the growing influence of Islamism there. However, outside of Aceh it's still okay and since I am not a Muslim I'd be fine there. Especially on islands like Java and other non-extremist regions.

I voted Scandinavia, but I'd prefer living in 'rural Scandinavia' then, preferably Norway. However, when I read news stories like a lesbo facing up to three years in prison for saying men cannot be lesbians (https://nypost.com/2022/12/15/tonje-gjevjon-faces-up-to-3-years-in-prison-for-saying-men-cannot-be-lesbians/), I am reconsidering my vote.

For some reason, Western elites are thinking Maoism is a good thing combined with a sauce of SJW rhetoric aimed to destroy Western culture. People from former communist dictatorships recognise this shit, as do people who know history.

It's still not too bad and I expect it to never take over as it did in the former East Bloc, but it the same shit of a fringe minority shoving things down the throats of a majority that largely doesn't support it but keeps quiet in order not to get canceled. Only to get worse if left unchecked.

eastern
04-05-2023, 02:43 PM
Indonesia is a country I'd love to visit. I just don't like the growing influence of Islamism there. However, outside of Aceh it's still okay and since I am not a Muslim I'd be fine there. Especially on islands like Java and other non-extremist regions.

I voted Scandinavia, but I'd prefer living in 'rural Scandinavia' then, preferably Norway. However, when I read news stories like a lesbo facing up to three years in prison for saying men cannot be lesbians (https://nypost.com/2022/12/15/tonje-gjevjon-faces-up-to-3-years-in-prison-for-saying-men-cannot-be-lesbians/), I am reconsidering my vote.

For some reason, Western elites are thinking Maoism is a good thing combined with a sauce of SJW rhetoric aimed to destroy Western culture. People from former communist dictatorships recognise this shit, as do people who know history.

Indonesia has been muslim for centuries. Not a growing influence, just been like that for a very long time.

Dandelion
04-05-2023, 02:46 PM
Indonesia has been muslim for centuries. Not a growing influence, just been like that for a very long time.

I said Islamism, not Muslim. I read a news article about 'chastidy watchers' becoming more and more prevalent, checking up on unmarried couples and even preventing it to exist. Outside of Aceh. I don't like people meddling in other's private affairs like that. It's still not all-encompassing, though and might also never truly become dominant.

At least they aren't arresting people for bigotry over trans rights.

eastern
04-05-2023, 02:48 PM
I said Islamism, not Muslim. I read a news article about 'chastidy watchers' becoming more and more prevalent, checking up on unmarried couples and even preventing it to exist. Outside of Aceh.

It's always been kinda strict, just like any other religious country.

Dandelion
04-05-2023, 02:49 PM
It's always been kinda strict, just like any other religious country.

Could be. I see many not following the rules and slipping through the net, though, as in many religious countries. It's luckily no Iran, save of course Aceh (but Sunni then).

I have no idea about the extent of the leeway. Should I have to live there, I would set my priorities right, of course. I also would emphasise I am Belgian should they hear me speak Dutch. I know from my fellow Flemings they often become friendlier then. ;)

But I'd be honest I like the Netherlands too. Not that that would be brought up often. And Indonesians don't hate Dutch, but they aren't fan of the colonial history neither and those wounds are still there. It's what I was told.

eastern
04-05-2023, 02:57 PM
Could be. I see many not following the rules and slipping through the net, though, as in many religious countries. It's luckily no Iran, save of course Aceh (but Sunni then).

I have no idea about the extent of the leeway. Should I have to live there, I would set my priorities right, of course. I also would emphasise I am Belgian should they hear me speak Dutch. I know from my fellow Flemings they often become friendlier then. ;)

But I'd be honest I like the Netherlands too. Not that that would be brought up often. And Indonesians don't hate Dutch, but they aren't fan of the colonial history neither and those wounds are still there. It's what I was told.

Indonesians indeed don't hate the dutch. Just generational trauma and the damage is visible. They might make fun of you by calling you a colonizer as a joke, kind of as a way to cope. But no hard feelings. At least, from my experience with Indonesians.
A joke they might make is: "You stole all our spices, but don't use any in your stamppot!".

Dandelion
04-05-2023, 03:16 PM
Indonesians indeed don't hate the dutch. Just generational trauma and the damage is visible. They might make fun of you by calling you a colonizer as a joke, kind of as a way to cope. But no hard feelings. At least, from my experience with Indonesians.
A joke they might make is: "You stole all our spices, but don't use any in your stamppot!".

Well, that's the kind of humour I was raised with. ;) Flemish or Belgians in general are a people who don't take themselves serious. Flemish also have kind of a historical complex over history, but we are taught to cope with it and not make a fuss about it. We take a lot of punishment and are expected not to care about it, but we are also taught to respect sensibilities of others in their own countries.

Sometimes it can clash. I noticed this in the Netherlands, our Flemish humour is more self-depricating and it's sometimes easy angering a Dutch making them think we are insulting them. We're less politically correct, though have become it a great deal more over the last decades.

It's also curious, as historically we had the reputation of having the shorter fuse than our Dutch neighbours. I think it's the difference between Catholic and Protestant.

eastern
04-05-2023, 03:21 PM
Well, that's the kind of humour I was raised with. ;)

Okay but genuine question, no ill intent i swear. Genuinely curious. Is it good, stamppot? And what about dutch cuisine in general, like certain stews and other Dutch dishes... Like do you find it tastier than other ethnic cuisines? What is your favorite cuisine, and is it Dutch cuisine or from another culture? Dutch food has this stigma surrounding it...for being...not good. As in, unseasoned. Don't have THAT much experience myself though. Do you think the stigma surrounding it is correct or is it just exaggerated?

Dandelion
04-05-2023, 03:26 PM
Okay but genuine question, no ill intent i swear. Genuinely curious. Is it good, stamppot? And what about dutch cuisine in general, like certain stews and other Dutch dishes... Like do you find it tastier than other ethnic cuisines? What is your favorite cuisine, and is it Dutch cuisine or from another culture? Dutch food has this stigma surrounding it...for being...not good. As in, unseasoned. Don't have THAT much experience myself though. Do you think the stigma surrounding it is correct or is it just exaggerated?

Well, us Belgians have a culture of relentlessly mocking the Dutch cuisine to the point Dutch people expect it from us. I like stampot though, but it's also simple. I'd rather make purée with a passe-vite as they do in the French cuisine. It's an invention few Dutch ever heard about.

But I sometimes make the coarser stamppots too. In essence Belgian cuisine isn't so different from Dutch cuisine, just more attention to detail.

That having been said, the Dutch have improved greatly on a culinary level over the last decades. There used to be a time not long ago you could barely find any ingredients at Dutch grocers and often of questionable quality, that has improved and it has reached almost French levels, but not quite (France still has better quality food, more so than Belgium which in turn has better quality than the Netherlands).

Stamppot is a simple yet nice dish. You have many variants of it and the options are limitless. I even own this cooking book.

https://books.google.be/books/publisher/content?id=qaFqDwAAQBAJ&hl=nl&pg=PP1&img=1&zoom=3&bul=1&sig=ACfU3U388w44qHneC--HXWmP300gS_h4kw&w=1280

One book with many variants of stamppot. You could even make a Kurdish stamppot if you'd like or a Turkish one while we're at it. ;)

Trust me, Dutch people consider me Belgian and I am a Belgian. I just happen to be one who prefers living in the Netherlands and prefering some aspects of that country more.

Dandelion
04-05-2023, 03:29 PM
The Dutch have the greatest oysters of Europe, at least Western Europe, though. Better than French oysters, and I know this because French tourists come to the Netherlands for them and Belgian Francophile chauvinists who don't like the Dutch culture even say this.

The Dutch also have a great baking cuisine, especially cookies. Their snacks are also nice. You could do a lot with the Dutch cuisine, even if it's known to be sober, dull and simple to the point Dutch themselves underestimate it. It's one thing they aren't so sensitive about.

eastern
04-05-2023, 03:36 PM
Well, us Belgians have a culture of relentlessly mocking the Dutch cuisine to the point Dutch people expect it from us. I like stampot though, but it's also simple. I'd rather make purée with a passe-vite as they do in the French cuisine. It's an invention few Dutch ever heard about.

But I sometimes make the coarser stamppots too. In essence Belgian cuisiine isn't so different from Dutch cuisine, just more attention to detail.

That having been said, the Dutch have improved greatly on a culinary level over the last decades. There used to be a time not long ago you could barely find any ingredients at Dutch grocers and often of questionable quality, that has improved and it has reached almost French levels, but not quite (France still has better quality food, more so than Belgium which in turn has better quality than the Netherlands).

Stamppot is a simple yet nice dish. You have many variants of it and the options are limitless. I even own this cooking book.

https://books.google.be/books/publisher/content?id=qaFqDwAAQBAJ&hl=nl&pg=PP1&img=1&zoom=3&bul=1&sig=ACfU3U388w44qHneC--HXWmP300gS_h4kw&w=1280

One book with many variants of stamppot. You could even make a Kurdish stamppot if you'd like or a Turkish one while we're at it. ;)

Trust me, Dutch people consider me Belgian and I am a Belgian. I just happen to be one who prefers living in the Netherlands and prefering some aspects of that country more.

Thought u were dutch, sorry. My mom made something like a Kurdish stamppot once. It was essentially just a hotchpotch like casserole with seasoned potatoes and other veggies. I've had Dutch stamppot too. Wasn't as tasty...BUT! Dutch desserts are the best. Suikerbrood, stroopwafels, pepernoten...really good. For some reason Northern Europeans are really good with desserts, while the South is better with dishes.

And yeah, oysters from Zeeland are famous apparently. Must be better than haring considering how popular it is.

Occiput in Starlight
04-05-2023, 10:15 PM
Scandinavia.

Gaoyuan
04-07-2023, 01:17 PM
I would rather live in Indonesia or Sumatra

nittionia
04-07-2023, 01:35 PM
Skandynavya

zyungh
07-08-2023, 07:51 PM
Scandinavia: Denmark or Norway

Katarzyna
07-08-2023, 07:51 PM
I want to move to Indonesia and suck coconut the whole day and get spicy food

Sylvanas
07-08-2023, 07:54 PM
I would rather stay here :cool:

Laredo
07-08-2023, 08:32 PM
I would rather stay here :cool:

Are they a lot immigrants In Crotia? If so are they from Latin America or middle east?

Sylvanas
07-08-2023, 08:38 PM
Are they a lot immigrants In Crotia? If so are they from Latin America or middle east?

No, we have now people from India, Nepal...but they just work here temporarily in meal delivery service.

In 2021, 35,912 immigrants were registered in Croatia. 72.7% of them were male, whereas only 27.3% were female. Almost half of the immigrant population was aged between 20 and 39 years old. In 2020, 22.4% of them came from Bosnia and Herzegovina, followed by Serbians (9.29%), Germans (6.81%), and Slovenians (4.10%).

Erronkari
07-08-2023, 08:41 PM
Indonesia.

Laredo
07-08-2023, 08:42 PM
No, we have now people from India, Nepal...but they just work here temporarily in meal delivery service.

In 2021, 35,912 immigrants were registered in Croatia. 72.7% of them were male, whereas only 27.3% were female. Almost half of the immigrant population was aged between 20 and 39 years old. In 2020, 22.4% of them came from Bosnia and Herzegovina, followed by Serbians (9.29%), Germans (6.81%), and Slovenians (4.10%).

I see, thanks for the details (:

Jambudvīpa
07-08-2023, 08:43 PM
Bali, Better weather, food, probably warmer people. I can work remote and my money probably stretches a lot farther than in Scandinavia.