PDA

View Full Version : Classify "unusual" Turkish guy

combat
04-01-2023, 01:30 AM
-deleted-

placebo
04-01-2023, 02:08 AM
? you don't look unusual lol

we have somewhat similar mix and your phenotype is a bit similar to mine.

InmostLight
04-01-2023, 02:09 AM
Sometimes the way people categorize you as being in their ingroup or outgroup has nothing to do with the way you look. Sometimes it's nothing you can even figure out or control yourself, like giving off the wrong vibe in some incomprehensible way that people pick up subconsciously, if that makes any sense.

Is your experience with people doubting your identity new since you moved to the US, or did you deal with it in the Netherlands, too? Maybe you go into Turkish shops, and they're used to also seeing people from other nearby regions to buy the same stuff, and they don't want to assume where anyone is from. We have a Turkish store in my town with mostly Arab or Jewish customers, so they would never immediately assume a med-looking person is Turkish. Also, from my experience, a lot of the Turkish people in the Netherlands who've lived there for a couple generations or so are more swarthy and MENA looking, unlike you. You'd pass perfectly well in Istanbul-- many of the people I saw in my three times there were more European looking.

Turkish people are super phenotypically diverse. I'm a white ginger and people in Turkey speak Turkish to me without any doubt that I'll understand them.

Hope this helps (~:

placebo
04-01-2023, 02:14 AM
idk if you have been to turkey before but your look is quite average for here. i live in bursa.

btw are u from posof? i know in netherlands there are some turks from posof. my grandpa is from posof.

combat
04-01-2023, 02:22 AM
Sometimes the way people categorize you as being in their ingroup or outgroup has nothing to do with the way you look. Sometimes it's nothing you can even figure out or control yourself, like giving off the wrong vibe in some incomprehensible way that people pick up subconsciously, if that makes any sense.

Is your experience with people doubting your identity new since you moved to the US, or did you deal with it in the Netherlands, too? Maybe you go into Turkish shops, and they're used to also seeing people from other nearby regions to buy the same stuff, and they don't want to assume where anyone is from. We have a Turkish store in my town with mostly Arab or Jewish customers, so they would never immediately assume a med-looking person is Turkish. Also, from my experience, a lot of the Turkish people in the Netherlands who've lived there for a couple generations or so are more swarthy and MENA looking, unlike you. You'd pass perfectly well in Istanbul-- many of the people I saw in my three times there were more European looking.

Turkish people are super phenotypically diverse. I'm a white ginger and people in Turkey speak Turkish to me without any doubt that I'll understand them.

Hope this helps (~:

Thank you for your answer. To be honest, that is really something I have just encountered in the Netherlands only. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that most of the Turkish immigrants in Western Europe are from the East and thus more on the "darker side". I remember the situation where I met a Turkish friend from university (in the Netherlands) and spoke the first time Turkish with him. He looked like an alien to me. It was quite strange. In Turkey itself, where I was like 7 years ago I never felt that uncomfortable, especially in the bigger cities in the Western part. Maybe some people in Europe have a concrete picture of being Turkish and I just don't fit right in, I don't know. I am from a normal Turkish family.

combat
04-01-2023, 02:24 AM
idk if you have been to turkey before but your look is quite average for here. i live in bursa.

btw are u from posof? i know in netherlands there are some turks from posof. my grandpa is from posof.

Great. No, I am not from there, but I know many people from there :)