PDA

View Full Version : UK ruled India for 200 years. Why is their food still bland?

Breathe
04-21-2023, 01:34 AM
They never took spices back home ?

chinshen
04-21-2023, 02:04 AM
Not everyone likes spicy foods.

Breathe
04-21-2023, 02:07 AM
Not everyone likes spicy foods.

But everyone loves flavor :)

NSXD60
04-21-2023, 02:13 AM
Because they shat their pants less when they left India?

chinshen
04-21-2023, 02:15 AM
But everyone loves flavor :)

Flavor does not mean hot spicy food, it can be mild like basil or other mild herbs.

InmostLight
04-21-2023, 02:46 AM

From a loved one staying in the Netherlands. Western Euros always baffle me with their dietary choices (but I probably can't judge as a Missouri girl with an affinity for dorito chicken casserole)

Dick
04-21-2023, 02:57 AM
The Brits weren't there for the spices. In short, the Brits taxed Indians heavily in cash then used the money to pay them for their goods and invest the profits into the British economy.

Breathe
04-23-2023, 12:06 PM

From a loved one staying in the Netherlands. Western Euros always baffle me with their dietary choices (but I probably can't judge as a Missouri girl with an affinity for dorito chicken casserole)

Live a little lol

Voskos
04-23-2023, 12:14 PM
Britbongs were never good cooks, on the other hand they seem to enjoy colonizing.

nittionia
04-23-2023, 12:26 PM
some people probably took spices home but didnt share them

Mopi Licinius Crassus
04-23-2023, 12:30 PM
They never took spices back home ?Seriously is this a joke. Indian food and curry are ubiquitous in the UK. Brits probably eat more curry than Indians [emoji28]

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Grace O'Malley
04-23-2023, 12:31 PM
Well you can smother your food so that you can't really taste the natural flavours. I like curries but I remember when I was in Ireland the food tasted so good without any flavouring. In Australia for example potatoes here are hard and you don't get those amazing floury potatoes that are naturally fluffy that you get in Ireland. You can eat potatoes with the skin on and just put butter on and they are delicious. Things like turnips, tomatoes, cheese, bread etc tasted so much better in Ireland. So I think food grown in that climate or the soils just have more flavour naturally. I think though people are much more international in their cooking now but I do think the food in that part of the world has naturally more flavour.

Siberian Nomad
04-23-2023, 12:31 PM
You are building an empire the sun never sets. and your only meal is fish and chips. pathetic

Grace O'Malley
04-23-2023, 12:34 PM
Seriously is this a joke. Indian food and curry are ubiquitous in the UK. Brits probably eat more curry than Indians [emoji28]

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Yes Chicken Tikka Masala was invented in a restaurant in Glasgow.

Creoda
04-23-2023, 01:01 PM
Yes Chicken Tikka Masala was invented in a restaurant in Glasgow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROv0wYlm-HU&ab_channel=HermanTheTosser

oszkar07
04-23-2023, 01:03 PM
Well you can smother your food so that you can't really taste the natural flavours. I like curries but I remember when I was in Ireland the food tasted so good without any flavouring. In Australia for example potatoes here are hard and you don't get those amazing floury potatoes that are naturally fluffy that you get in Ireland. You can eat potatoes with the skin on and just put butter on and they are delicious. Things like turnips, tomatoes, cheese, bread etc tasted so much better in Ireland. So I think food grown in that climate or the soils just have more flavour naturally. I think though people are much more international in their cooking now but I do think the food in that part of the world has naturally more flavour.

Boiled or baked Potatoes topped with butter is one of my most favourite things to eat. Simple but so good.

Hexachordia
04-23-2023, 02:14 PM
India food looks like those type of food for dying patients, abolishing 80% of the digestion functionalities of the body.

Chron
06-09-2023, 02:42 AM
When someone says something is "bland" because they need all their food to be slathered in so much spice that it'll taste the same no matter what they put the spices on, it tells me they know jack shit about cooking lol

Fortnite777
06-09-2023, 04:40 AM
Because some people just don't like spicy food

turbosat
06-09-2023, 06:41 AM
They never took spices back home ?

British did not rule all of India for 200 years. They ruled Punjab for 99 years.
Their army in India was also majority composed of native soldiers, otherwise they would not have been able to take control.
They also used many Indian soldiers in other places like Opium Wars in China.