PDA

View Full Version : What the heck FtDna messes about with MyOrigins

Lemminkäinen
05-13-2023, 07:13 PM
I already opened issues with MyOrigins in another thread, but FtDna is not better than 23andMe, both are ridiculous in these tests. It is up to you if you believe in these two companies, I don't.

My Origins results copy-pasted straight from the page:

Finland 95%
Baltic 3%
Magyar <2%
Italian Peninsula <2%

But using download from the same page:

Continent,Population,Percentage
European,Finland,86
European,East Europe,7
European,British Isles,5
Trace Results,East Middle East,<1
Trace Results,As
hkenazi,<2

Voskos
05-13-2023, 09:04 PM
Just checked for me, yes those are Myorigins v2 you download, whilst the one you see is v3.

Yes, they're not that accurate , even DNAGenics seems to be better. I personally prefer Dilawer's calcs.

Lemminkäinen
05-13-2023, 09:22 PM
Just checked for me, yes those are Myorigins v2 you download, whilst the one you see is v3.

Yes, they're not that accurate , even DNAGenics seems to be better. I personally prefer Dilawer's calcs.

A mild expression "not that accurate" :) If I compare my matches and myOrigins I would express it differently, but I have not taken these seriously for a long time.

Voskos
05-13-2023, 09:28 PM
A mild expression "not that accurate" :) If I compare my matches and myOrigins I would express it differently, but I have not taken these seriously for a long time.

which is best calc in your opinion?for modern individuals.

Lemminkäinen
05-13-2023, 09:54 PM
which is best calc in your opinion?for modern individuals.

I don't know, but I can say which are worst, not necessary to list all. FtDna, 23andMe and some Gedmatch calculators are poor too. For example 23andMe v.1 gave 100% Finnish for all people living in Finland. They simply cheated and corrected it in some false way after I sent them message with results of half-Finns living in Finland. Best calculators is hard to name, because averagely best calcs are not most accurate in every case.