PDA

View Full Version : Naming children of ~mixed~ ethnic background

jerney
11-29-2011, 03:40 AM
I'm talking about between two European/European descended people here. Should the heritage of both parents be represented in the child's name? I want my child to have a German/ic name to represent that side of its heritage, but I don't want to it sound ridiculous with the rest of their name either. :confused: I think it's a nice gesture, but I also think it sounds ridiculous when you have a "Alejandro Schmitz" or "Freya Popovic" :shrug:. I think in most cases the first name should match the origin/culture of the surname and perhaps a nice solution could be to include a middle name that represents the other parents heritage?

Sikeliot
11-29-2011, 03:49 AM
First and last names should match in ethnicity.

Osweo
11-29-2011, 03:55 AM
Spanish naming customs make for some interesting combinations of course. Imagine thinking up a forename to fit, oh, let's say something like 'O'Hagan-Ramirez'.... :D

And what about when one partner inherits a surname from a man that came to his country several generations ago, from a third country, and the descendant would prefer to acknowledge their actual country, rather than that of their great great great grandad... :chin:

mymy
11-29-2011, 04:03 AM
There are many nice international names... However i agree it should match surname.

jerney
11-29-2011, 04:05 AM
Spanish naming customs make for some interesting combinations of course. Imagine thinking up a forename to fit, oh, let's say something like 'O'Hagan-Ramirez'.... :D

And what about when one partner inherits a surname from a man that came to his country several generations ago, from a third country, and the descendant would prefer to acknowledge their actual country, rather than that of their great great great grandad... :chin:

You're screwed then :cry

Osweo
11-29-2011, 04:12 AM
You're screwed then :cry

I know! :thumb001:

Happily, a lot of names are equally English AND Spanish. All you do is add an '-O' on the end. I figure, call the kid Albert McMilligan, but let him be referred to as Alberto when in Spain, and by Spanish relatives. :p

billErobreren
11-29-2011, 04:40 AM
I know! :thumb001:

Happily, a lot of names are equally English AND Spanish. All you do is add an '-O' on the end. I figure, call the kid Albert McMilligan, but let him be referred to as Alberto when in Spain, and by Spanish relatives. :p

:thumb001:
& if a girl you can Always name her Dolores, Linda or Maria. Spanish names but very common among English speakers or just go neutral, French. Spanish names always have French equivalents & French names are common among English speakers as well.

Isabel-Isabelle
Estefania-Stephanie
Daniela-Danielle

arcticwolf
11-29-2011, 05:05 AM
I'm talking about between two European/European descended people here. Should the heritage of both parents be represented in the child's name? I want my child to have a German/ic name to represent that side of its heritage, but I don't want to it sound ridiculous with the rest of their name either. :confused: I think it's a nice gesture, but I also think it sounds ridiculous when you have a "Alejandro Schmitz" or "Freya Popovic" :shrug:. I think in most cases the first name should match the origin/culture of the surname and perhaps a nice solution could be to include a middle name that represents the other parents heritage?

This will be a little bit off topic but closely related. Well, is it really a good idea to marry outside of one's meta-ethnicity? It can be quite difficult on the kids. Traditions are different, mindsets are different. I know both are European, but is that good enough? I think it requires a lot more thought than just naming the kids, that's the easy part. I wouldn't forget that infatuation is just temporary then reality sets in after a while and it's not all roses any more. It's hard enough to make marriage work within the same nationality, I can only imagine how hard it has to be for two people from different backgrounds.

AussieScott
11-29-2011, 05:32 AM
I say when in Rome(Greece) do as Romans(Greeks) do.

So my suggestion would be first name Greek, one easily to Germanise for German holidays with family..., middle name your Germanic ancestry and last name Greek.

If you have a second child(I'm getting a head of myself here) you may want to take turns with the middle name, for Ancestory purposes. Plus it may depend if the child is a boy or girl. Being if the child is a boy the father may have a paternal name that is special to him, if the child was a girl, you may have a maternal middle name that may be special to pass on for you.

You can always give the child two middle names...

My half brother and sister are half Italian/Scottish. They both have Italian last names, Brother has Italian middle name, Scottish first name, Sister has Scottish first and middle name. Both there first names can be made Italian when in Italiano company or on holiday in Italy.

Ultimately it's up to future Mum and Dad, you'll have lots of fun reading name books...:)

Laubach
11-29-2011, 05:50 AM
well, I have German, Italian, French and Austrian background. My first name is Italian, meaning "reborn." I have four surnames, two of Germanic origin (Austrian and German) and a French norman surname and Italian surname.

My son will be born in a few months, will be called Werner. And If I had a daughter, her name is Sophie.

As I intend to have four children, the next will be a Polish name, because my wife has Polish origin and the fourth will have an Italian name

But my children will only have two surnames, instead of four I have an three of my wife

jerney
11-29-2011, 06:49 AM
This will be a little bit off topic but closely related. Well, is it really a good idea to marry outside of one's meta-ethnicity? It can be quite difficult on the kids. Traditions are different, mindsets are different. I know both are European, but is that good enough? I think it requires a lot more thought than just naming the kids, that's the easy part. I wouldn't forget that infatuation is just temporary then reality sets in after a while and it's not all roses any more. It's hard enough to make marriage work within the same nationality, I can only imagine how hard it has to be for two people from different backgrounds.

A little too late for that ;)

Turkophagos
11-29-2011, 07:28 AM
Naming childrens with names exclusivily from the father's ethnic background sounds like a great idea.

Raskolnikov
11-29-2011, 07:30 AM
You should name your kids Skyler and Hope.

Amapola
11-29-2011, 08:36 AM
:thumb001:
& if a girl you can Always name her Dolores, Linda or Maria. Spanish names but very common among English speakers or just go neutral, French. Spanish names always have French equivalents & French names are common among English speakers as well.

Isabel-Isabelle
Estefania-Stephanie
Daniela-Danielle

there are names that are EVEN exactly the same. :thumb001:

rhiannon
11-29-2011, 08:48 AM
My son has a Germanic first name, a Celtic Middle name (which is actually a surname), and an Italian surname. The middle name comes from my side of the family, seeing as I took my husband's name when we married, it seemed only right our son have something from my father's side.

My husband and I both have German ancestry, so our son's first name is actually German:)

Ouistreham
11-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Spanish names always have French equivalents

ROFL!

Dolores, Carmen, Pilar, Concepcion, Conchita, Corazon, Diego, Jesus...

billErobreren
11-29-2011, 11:41 AM
ROFL!

:rolleyes:
Well I obviously didn't think those through.

first off, I've never met a Spaniard named "Corazon"(french translation "coeur" already there's an equivalent whether people want to use it as a name is another thing).

"Dolores" meaning pains & "la douleur" in French, not a name for females maybe but already there's an equivalent

"Carmen" there is the latin word "carmen" meaning poem? but I'm not sure on whether this is how the name started either way the name it's mostly heard in Andalusia:dunno: ever heard of Carmen the play:D

"Concepción" meaning to conceive, in reference to the Immaculate Conception of Roman Catholic faith, French translation "conception" a Frenchie has the option of naming a daughter like this. nontraditional? maybe but there's the equivalent.

Pilar(translation "pilier" similar enough eh? but you have the option of using it as a name. Pierre & Pedro mean stone so why not?:coffee:)

Diego comes from "Jacob" latinized as Didacus(french obsolete "Didace" eh son of a bitch would you look at that:eek: there is an equivalent *gasp* SHOCKING!!!:icon_eek: the French & the Spaniards have something in common:rolleyes:), meaning to teach.

I never understood why Spanish speakers would name a kid "Jesus"(do you guys by any chance call Jesus of Nazareth something else for this name not to have an equivalent? :p) & at this point its seems as though you were running outta crap but a Frenchie has the option to name a kid after the christian prophet as well. so it isn't exclusively "Spanish".

"Conchita" is simply a diminutive of Concha(which is seashell? french equivalent of the word "coquillage") like your use of ette for women ie: Paulette, & also a diminutive for María de la Concepción again Frenchie has the option to name the kid after the object in this case a seashell(concha).

You can bitch all you want but I speak both Spanish & French & can read in both languages(which are almost IDENTICAL, btw) so boo-hoo turns out you're both similar enough:coffee:

not bad for a stupid yank, eh?

Agrippa
11-29-2011, 11:46 AM
I think it largely depends on the region the child is born into and among which people it will be raised.

The best name is appropriate for its social environment and this can be somewhat more exotic, but not too much, especially if it sounds very strange to even stupid in the local language, or creates spelling problems for others there and so on, it is inappropriate and just a future burden.

Comte Arnau
11-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Following the Iberian two-surname code, a child of mine would have a Catalan and a Danish surname. (Or vice versa, as now it's not mandatory that the father's one comes first.)

For the first name, we'd simply choose one that sounds similar in Catalan and Danish, such as Anna, Elisabet, Emma, Frederik, Irene, Laura, Oscar, Robert, Sandra... Or either decide on using a Catalan one for boys and a Danish one for girls, for instance. :)

arcticwolf
11-29-2011, 12:53 PM
A little too late for that ;)

Sorry! I thought the question was purely theoretical. They say love conquers it all, I have no experience in that area but I'm definitely a strong believer! :thumb001:

Absinthe
11-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Jerney, it firstly depends on where you plan raising the child :)

If that's Greece, then the best option would be a Greek first name and perhaps a German middle name, although it shouldn't sound too weird like "Spiros-Heinrich" or something like that :D

If it's Germany, you'd better pick a German first name cause Germans would have a hard time pronouncing a Greek name, and if it's the U.S. of A, well it doesn't really matter that much, so many cultures, so much variety in names, nothing would sound weird :p

Since I think you are opting for no1, then in the end you will probably be left with no other choice than to name your children after his parents, you know that :p

Incal
11-29-2011, 02:31 PM
My son will be born in a few months, will be called Werner.

lol I have a friend called Werner (his dad is swiss) and it sounds kind of funny here, but I've seen there are many people in Brazil with names that would be considered weird elsewhere (like for example "Junior").

In any case, I agree with Agrippa and Absinthe that a kid should be named according to the language/culture of the place he/she is born but I also think the family should also be honored. For example, I'd like my kids to have at least one latin/roman derived name (or at least an adaptation). In any case, outside of Greece, a Greek name wouldn't be that practical, specially when it comes to paperwork or documents (greeks love to add/erase the 'S' on their names just for the sake of it).

Laubach
11-29-2011, 03:01 PM
lol I have a friend called Werner (his dad is swiss) and it sounds kind of funny here, but I've seen there are many people in Brazil with names that would be considered weird elsewhere (like for example "Junior").

In any case, I agree with Agrippa and Absinthe that a kid should be named according to the language/culture of the place he/she is born but I also think the family should also be honored. For example, I'd like my kids to have at least one latin/roman derived name (or at least an adaptation). In any case, outside of Greece, a Greek name wouldn't be that practical, specially when it comes to paperwork or documents (greeks love to add/erase the 'S' on their names just for the sake of it).

Werner have a lot in Brazil, because of German heritage. There is not a common name, but it is not strange is proper to the descendants of German-speaking countries. All associate the person is descended. In my case, my grandfather's name was Werner is a tribute to him.

Junior is when people have the same father's name, example. Rafael Silva! The child will be Rafael Silva Junior

In any case, my parents are French and I'm French too. My sister´s first name is French. My next child will have a French first name too.

Strangers here are the names of English origin, often copied due to American influence and name each thing comes out really weird, because people who usually do this, do not have much education and end up putting the name in a more "Portuguese" way, then is thus, for example. "Michael" = "Maicon" "Jonathan" = "dionathan." For it is the way the name is pronounced.

Esto es joda!! :D

Amapola
11-29-2011, 06:53 PM
ROFL!

Dolores finds variants like Addolorata (Italian), Delora, Delores, Deloris and Dolores in English. Dolors in Catalan, Dores in Portuguese, plus othernicknames like Lola or Dolly.

Carmen is more complex that it sounds. It represents two names taken as one. Its first (and original) root is Italian and Spanish, used as a diminutive nickname for Carmel and Carmelo (respectively), from Hebrew karmel, "God's vineyard." Your variant would BE Carmel. The second (and more recent) origin is from Latin carmen, which means "song," "tune," or "poem" and is also the root of the English word charm. The name of the Roman Goddess Carmenta based on this root comes from the purely Latin origin. While in English the name is unisex, in Italian and in Spanish it is generally female.

Pilar is probably the most restrictively Spanish-speaking oriented of all then, although you can find it in Portugal too.

Concepcion: has a latin root, other variants are Concetta (Italy), concettina (Italy). You can find it in the English word as Chonchata too as in the American Conchata Ferrel.

Corazón? :mmmm:

Diego is just a variant like Jacobo, Jacob, Yago, Jaime and Santiago. Your variant is ACTUALLY Jacques.

Jesús finds another variants even in other cultures like Isa (I know a Palestine named Isa), Josu (in Basque), Yeshúa (hebrew)...

billErobreren
11-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Dolores finds variants like Addolorata (Italian), Delora, Delores, Deloris and Dolores in English. Dolors in Catalan, Dores in Portuguese, plus other nicknames like Lola or Dolly.

Corazón? :mmmm:

Diego is just a variant like Jacobo, Jacob, Yago, Jaime and Santiago. Your variant is ACTUALLY Jacques.

Jesús finds another variants even in other cultures like Isa (I know a Palestine named Isa), Josu (in Basque), Yeshúa (hebrew)...

oh shit. How could I forget about Santiago & Jacques?:loco: I'm usually good at this latin names stuff :D either way the post went absolutely hollow at ROTFL

Incal
11-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Strangers here are the names of English origin, often copied due to American influence and name each thing comes out really weird, because people who usually do this, do not have much education and end up putting the name in a more "Portuguese" way, then is thus, for example. "Michael" = "Maicon" "Jonathan" = "dionathan." For it is the way the name is pronounced.

Esto es joda!! :D

LOL the same here.

And about what you said, it's true. My friend Werner was named after his father and there are some people who do that too. I think these kind of names are getting un-common nowadays in Europe and Germany. Specially when it comes to girl names, latin names are usual while it's harder to find a Wibke or Maike.

Raikaswinþs
11-29-2011, 09:12 PM

South Americans have mastered that art pretty good.

Nestor Kischner and Alejandro Jodorowski sound pretty powerful in Spanish. So does David Nalvandian or Eduardo Kobayashi :P

good thing about Spanish naming customs is that you don't need to choose, you get both parent's surnames.

Like in Román Ramírez O'Donell, a childhood classmate of mine with an Irish mom. I always thought his name rocked

Turkophagos
11-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Following the Iberian two-surname code, a child of mine would have a Catalan and a Danish surname.

http://images.watoday.com.au/2010/05/27/1513288/fabregas-420x0.jpg

+

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_01/helenachristensenG_468x550.jpg

=

http://cdn.moxiebird.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Do-Not-Want.jpg

billErobreren
11-29-2011, 10:18 PM
http://images.watoday.com.au/2010/05/27/1513288/fabregas-420x0.jpg

+

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_01/helenachristensenG_468x550.jpg

=

http://cdn.moxiebird.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Do-Not-Want.jpg

Helena is half-Peruvian plus that guy isn't a typical Catalan

Comte Arnau
11-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Helena is half-Peruvian plus that guy isn't a typical Catalan

He knows, he just does it on purpose because he's got some kind of absurd personal obsession on me. Fact is, I don't know why, he was cool some years ago. He'll know his reasons, I couldn't care less. Just hope he's not such a jerk IRL with her gf, cuz she's a nice person.

Rochefaton
11-29-2011, 11:03 PM
First and last names should match in ethnicity.

Really?

So, since I carry a French surname due to my paternal ancestors being of French descent 500 years ago, I should have a French first name as well as my descendants?

Even though genetically I fit in with the Dutch and English and the vast majority of my ancestors over the past 5 centuries were from Britain or Germanic speaking countries?

jerney
11-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Well, I think that's kind of expected in the US, but if they child is being raised in a European country, it makes more sense for it to have a matching first and last name.

Hess
11-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Going with a Roman name seems like the wisest thing one can do. I am half French and half Croatian and my First name is Emil, but my French relatives call me Emile.

jerney
11-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Since I think you are opting for no1, then in the end you will probably be left with no other choice than to name your children after his parents, you know that :p

The first one I can handle even though I don't like the thought of my son having such a ridiculously common Christian name (I do find the female version a lot more tolerable, though), but by the second kid it becomes my turn and I'm sure as hell not naming my kid after either of my parents. I'd prefer a non-Christian Greek name and I think there are plenty of beautiful names to choose from, male or female.

Zephyr
11-30-2011, 02:33 AM

Just imagined...

Éamon de Valera was one of the dominant political figures in twentieth century Ireland, serving as head of government of the Irish Free State and head of government and head of state of Ireland. He also introduced the Constitution of Ireland.

:tongue

Osweo
11-30-2011, 02:43 AM
Just imagined...

Éamon de Valera was one of the dominant political figures in twentieth century Ireland, serving as head of government of the Irish Free State and head of government and head of state of Ireland. He also introduced the Constitution of Ireland.

:tongue

:D
But what a fine Old English name!

< Eadmund... :cool:

Zephyr
11-30-2011, 05:35 AM
In my opinion, middle and last name should be given according to parents last names, independently of being parents from the same country or not:

Father is Michael X. Y.
Mother is Anne G. H.
Child should be Firstname H. Y. if it's a boy and Firstname Y. H. if it's a girl.

The first name should definitely be given according to the country where children will be raised.

If you are not sure where the kids will be raised just choose a name that can easily fit in both countries. I suppose you are Brit + Greek, so you have plenty some choice like Alexandra, Sophia, Thomas. For his/her own good would be odd to have a kid raised in the UK called Eleftherios or Elisavet... :twitch00:

Makes sense?

R4ge
11-30-2011, 05:38 AM
Biblical names are best.

Just don't name your children Cedric or Tyrone, etc.

jerney
11-30-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm surprised there are not more votes for the last option :D

Marmie Dearest
12-15-2011, 03:14 AM
I think dual ethnic names are fine, and if I ever have a child I will call them a first name that I like, and I'm not particularly concerned if it matches mine or the father's ethnic background, as long as it's European.

I can definitely see, though, giving an ethnic or family name as the middle name (from the mother's side) then having the father's last name, of course.

Bobby Martnen
03-22-2018, 03:34 AM
Give the child a first and middle name from whatever country you live in.

garudamon
03-22-2018, 03:47 AM
I think it should match the country/culture they're living in or where the children are supposed to be raised.

amoora
03-22-2018, 03:47 AM
Give the child a first and middle name from whatever country you live in.

I have an Arabic first name

CertifiedCracker
03-22-2018, 03:48 AM
Im not going to give my kid a foreign name. My first, middle, and last name are all pretty redneck.

Bobby Martnen
03-22-2018, 03:48 AM
I have an Arabic first name

You were born in Lebanon, I thought?

Either way, I don't think one way is morally superior to another, just that if I had a child in another country, I'd name them a common name for that country.

In fact, I might even change my surname to fit in if I ever moved abroad.

Bobby Martnen
03-22-2018, 03:49 AM
Im not going to give my kid a foreign name.

My least favorite foreign names: Cristiano, Jose, Pablo, Bakalakalalalah

CertifiedCracker
03-22-2018, 03:51 AM
My least favorite foreign names: Cristiano, Jose, Pablo, Bakalakalalalah

I prefer older names like Otto, Atticus, Lorenzo, Absalom, Judah, etc

Bobby Martnen
03-22-2018, 03:52 AM
I prefer older names like Otto, Atticus, Lorenzo, Absalom, Judah, etc

I like old names too, like Milton and Mildred and Milford and Milhouse

amoora
03-22-2018, 04:04 AM
You were born in Lebanon, I thought?

Either way, I don't think one way is morally superior to another, just that if I had a child in another country, I'd name them a common name for that country.

In fact, I might even change my surname to fit in if I ever moved abroad.

I was born in England. Yeah I don't think fitting in is a bad thing. Most people can pronounce my name without a problem but some Arabs I've met have Anglo names they go by to make it easier. A guy I knew named Fadi went by Frank

Bobby Martnen
03-22-2018, 04:05 AM
I was born in England. Yeah I don't think fitting in is a bad thing. Most people can pronounce my name without a problem but some Arabs I've met have Anglo names they go by to make it easier. A guy I knew named Fadi went by Frank

Is your name Amoora?

amoora
03-22-2018, 04:09 AM
Is your name Amoora?

no that's like a nickname

Bobby Martnen
03-22-2018, 04:10 AM

Bobby's a nickname for me as well, my real name is Robert.

Martnen is my actual last name, though.

Kamal900
03-22-2018, 04:27 AM
Bobby's a nickname for me as well, my real name is Robert.

Martnen is my actual last name, though.

Robert is a very typical Anglo-American name, lol.

Kamal900
03-22-2018, 04:29 AM

My nickname is Moody which pretty much all my friends, family(except for my dad) and etc call me that, but my real name is Mohammed. My Arabic tribal nickname is "Abu Naar" which means "father of fire" in Arabic due on the fact that I was a bit aggressive when I was a wee lad.

Bobby Martnen
03-22-2018, 05:45 AM
My nickname is Moody which pretty much all my friends, family(except for my dad) and etc call me that, but my real name is Mohammed. My Arabic tribal nickname is "Abu Naar" which means "father of fire" in Arabic due on the fact that I was a bit aggressive when I was a wee lad.

Is it true that Arabs name their children NAME bin FATHER bin GRANDFATHER bin GREAT-GRANDFATHER bin GREAT-GREAT-GRANDFATHER?

NSXD60
03-22-2018, 05:50 AM
Future victory and we'll see something like Mohammed has been.

Dick
03-22-2018, 05:51 AM
Future victory and we'll see something like Mohammed has been.

Bite your fucking tongue, frog.

Kamal900
03-22-2018, 05:52 AM
Is it true that Arabs name their children NAME bin FATHER bin GRANDFATHER bin GREAT-GRANDFATHER bin GREAT-GREAT-GRANDFATHER?

In the past, yes, they did. They also derive their surname from the specific tribe that they belong to like Al-Kindi which is an Arabic surname based from the ancient Arab tribe of South-Eastern Arabia Al-Kindah which were one of these tribes that had settled and mixed with the local Levantines in the 7th century AD.

Bogdan
01-11-2019, 01:19 AM
You can go with all one ethnicity or use one ethnicity for the middle name and another for the first. Either works fine.

nittionia
01-11-2019, 01:32 AM
My full first name (two words) is Spanish/French and it's a family name. It doesn't match really with my last name ethnically but I like it.

Gründig
01-11-2019, 01:35 AM
You can use whatever the hell you want. It doesn't matter.

Kriptc06
01-11-2019, 01:48 AM
Chose a common name for both ethinicites, or give a name of one and middle name of the other.