PDA

View Full Version : Ex-mayor suspended over 'racist' remarks

European blood
12-02-2011, 09:18 AM
CONTROVERSIAL councillor Darren Scully has been suspended from his senior position with an engineering firm, it has emerged.

The former mayor of Naas sparked national outrage last week after claiming he would no longer represent "black Africans" in his role as a local politician. Mr Scully quickly resigned from his post as mayor after an official complaint was lodged with gardai.

The comments prompted a number of TDs to brand Mr Scully a "racist", while Fine Gael is yet to decide whether to expel him as a councillor.

Aggressive

Mr Scully sparked fury after claiming in an interview with 4fm that he would no longer represent "black Africans" who he described as "quick to play the race card", "rude" and "aggressive".

Asked how he would respond to a person of African origin if they contacted him seeking representation, Mr Scully said: "Well, I will very politely refer them to another one of my council colleagues as I have taken the decision not to represent them."

He has since retracted the comments and apologised.

Gardai are continuing to investigate the remarks after Labour TD Aodhan O Riordain lodged an official complaint.

As revealed by the Herald, the father-of-two has received a number of sinister death threats since making the remarks.

His wife and children have also received a barrage of abuse when leaving the family home.

It has now emerged that Mr Scully has been suspended from his job with an engineering firm pending a decision as to whether to impose disciplinary action.

A source close to Mr Scully told the Herald today that he does not yet know whether he will be kept on in his job.

Devastated

"The comments prompted his employer to suspend him. He's devastated over it. He has lost his job as mayor and now may lose his job as an engineer. He has not been eating or sleeping. It's taken a huge toll on his family and friends."

The 38-year-old reiterated his "sincere apology" this weekend, adding that he wants "nothing more" than to "win back the public's trust".

"The comments were totally the wrong thing to say. I retract every single word of it and I am so genuinely sorry.

"I am not a racist. What I said was not what I meant in my heart and soul. I didn't put enough thought into it. Obviously I was expressing my own personal view of dealings I had with regards to council workings with some people but I knew what I said was wrong."

He added: "You cannot, you just cannot paint an entire continent with one brush by saying something like that. You just can't do that. That's unforgivable.

"I should have said that I would not deal with anybody who is aggressive. We have aggressive Irish. We have aggressive other nationalities. But what I said was that I wouldn't deal with black Africans and that's wrong, you can't say that."

http://www.herald.ie/news/exmayor-suspended-over-racist-remarks-2947460.html

Irish town mayor quits after refusing to deal with black people because they are 'aggressive and bad-mannered'

Centre-right political party Fine Gael issued a statement within an hour of his comments, distancing themselves from their councillor

Darren Scully made the outburst on live radio

The mayor of an Irish town was forced to resign last night after provoking outrage by declaring he would no longer represent Africans from his constituency.

Darren Scully, who is also a councillor for Ireland's centre-right political party Fine Gael, apologised for stating he found ‘black Africans’ to be aggressive and bad-mannered after he caused widespread fury.

However, the former Mayor of Naas faces being jailed or fined for the outburst after an official complaint was made to Republic of Ireland's police force, known as gardaí.

Politicians and anti-racism groups had demanded Mr Scully’s expulsion, while a Labour MP has reported the father of two’s remarks to gardaí under the Incitement to Hatred Act.

‘I realise now that my remarks were open to an interpretation that I did not intend,’ Mr Scully said in a statement.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2065262/Irish-town-mayor-quits-refusing-deal-black-people.html

Now Scully gets death threats in racism row

THE Fine Gael councillor who sparked outrage after claiming he would no longer represent black African people has received death threats, the Herald has learned.

Sources close to the former Mayor of Naas, Darren Scully, have revealed how he has received a barrage of abuse, including threats to his life, which has left him unable to leave his home.

A family source today spoke to the Herald about the "heartbreaking" and "unbearable" effects the criticism has had on his wife and two children.

"It's just been unbearable, it's been the worst week of their lives. People can forget that Darren is simply a human being. He has not been eating or sleeping. He is a loving husband and father. And his life has been turned on its head."

The source added: "He wants nothing more than to be given a second chance by the public. He knows he has made an unforgivable mistake but surely people can see that he is so sorry and living a nightmare because of what he said."

http://www.herald.ie/news/now-scully-gets-death-threats-in-racism-row-2946705.html

Argyll
12-05-2011, 03:57 PM
I support this mayor. He shouldn't, and no one should be, representing a race and people that is not their own. He's said what a lot of people are afraid to say in that they are only representing their race.