PDA

View Full Version : Are there Portuguese people who can't pass in Spain and Spanish people who can't pass in Portugal?

Carl_uhul
07-16-2023, 09:56 PM
Are there Portuguese people who can't pass anywhere in Spain and Spanish people who can't pass anywhere in Portugal? I'm a newbie at physical anthropology, but there are some people who I take a look at, and I keep thinking "this guy looks very Portuguese and I don't see him passing in Spain", such as Joćo Moutinho, for example:

https://i.ibb.co/G06CSyN/Jo-o-Moutinho.jpg

This guy looks extremely Portuguese and doesn't pass outside Portugal imo because he looks like the stereotypical Portuguese man.
On the other hand, I think someone with the features and traits of Iker Casillas looks extremely Spanish and doesn't pass neither in Portugal nor anywhere else outside Spain imo because he looks like a textbook Spanish man:

https://i.ibb.co/PgS5gD2/Iker-Casillas.jpg

Is it just me, or there are more people here in this forum with the same feeling about the Iberians?
I'd like to read your opinions, especially from the Iberian members of this forum who live among them.

Laredo
07-16-2023, 10:00 PM
Portugal Is predominant Gracile med & Berid, while Spain Atlanto med with Important minorities of Baskid Atlantid Alpine etc

Richard Alvarez
07-16-2023, 10:01 PM
Some phenotypes may be more common in Spain than in Portugal (and the other way around), but overall Iberians can easily pass all around the peninsula.

Maybe Portugal has more Berids than Spain, and Spain more Atlanto-Med and Baskid.

Damićo de Góis
07-16-2023, 10:29 PM
I don't know, but whenever i have doubts about this i always check for answers with sudacas and mexican cholos.

Carl_uhul
07-16-2023, 10:35 PM
I don't know, but whenever i have doubts about this i always check for answers with sudacas and mexican cholos.

That's not a troll thread, I really have this doubt.

Carl_uhul
07-16-2023, 10:45 PM
Some phenotypes may be more common in Spain than in Portugal (and the other way around), but overall Iberians can easily pass all around the peninsula.

Maybe Portugal has more Berids than Spain, and Spain more Atlanto-Med and Baskid.

I don't see Joćo Moutinho passing in a team with Iker Casillas, Nacho Fernandez, Juan Mata, Andrés Iniesta, David Villa, Fernando Torres, Cesc Fabregas and Koke. He would look off in my opinion.

Oliver109
07-16-2023, 11:05 PM
Definitely i would say so because of differences in language, geography, even in the UK there are a lot of people in the north who wouldn't pass in the south and vice versa, and in Wales too, even France is said to have distinctive types in Britanny, the Auvergne and in the Flemish region.

B01AB20
07-16-2023, 11:15 PM
Definitely i would say so because of differences in language, geography, even in the UK there are a lot of people in the north who wouldn't pass in the south and vice versa, and in Wales too, even France is said to have distinctive types in Britanny, the Auvergne and in the Flemish region.

Can you show us some examples?

Oliver109
07-16-2023, 11:19 PM
Can you show us some examples?

Of Iberians or Brits?

Sebastianus Rex
07-16-2023, 11:22 PM
That's not a troll thread, I really have this doubt.

You tell me. You guys seem to be the experts on Iberian anthropology, so go ask to the same guys who kept insisting that it is possible that Gonēalo Ramos is fully portuguese. We Portuguese and Spanish users know nothing about this matter.

You are correct, Joćo Moutinho looks a total alien in Badajoz, Vigo or Huelva, unlike Gonēalo Ramos who passes well, since he is the distant cousin of Alcaraz.

B01AB20
07-16-2023, 11:22 PM
Of Iberians or Brits?

Both, please. :D

But better make a new thread.

Oliver109
07-16-2023, 11:33 PM
Both, please. :D

But better make a new thread.

I'll make a thread next week about this possibly but anyway distinctive Portuguese would be:
https://egyptianstreets.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Portugal-Antonio-Guterres.jpg

Alba Baptista
https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/-eTLdS39QK6WHRWtWcNx_gIdWq8/0x0:3145x1651/fit-in/1200x630/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-/2022/11/11/993/n/1922398/d2f98eda636ed1bdc63c67.61611328_.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/pt/3/32/Retrato_Pedro_Passos_Coelho_XX_Governo.jpg

Distinctive northern Brits would be
https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article23874303.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200c/32_Alan-Shearer-on-Match-of-the-Day.jpg
https://e0.365dm.com/22/11/2048x1152/skysports-jordan-pickford-england_5958295.jpg
https://images.immediate.co.uk/production/volatile/sites/3/2023/01/Happy-Valley-Catherine-Cawood-Sarah-Lancashire-bb246b5.jpg?quality=90&crop=4px,0px,613px,408px&resize=620,414

B01AB20
07-16-2023, 11:40 PM
I'll make a thread next week about this possibly but anyway distinctive Portuguese would be:
https://egyptianstreets.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Portugal-Antonio-Guterres.jpg

Alba Baptista
https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/-eTLdS39QK6WHRWtWcNx_gIdWq8/0x0:3145x1651/fit-in/1200x630/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-/2022/11/11/993/n/1922398/d2f98eda636ed1bdc63c67.61611328_.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/pt/3/32/Retrato_Pedro_Passos_Coelho_XX_Governo.jpg

Well, I will say nothing about brits because is not my area of expertise, but honestly, I can see those portuguese passing perfectly as everyday spanairds.

Oliver109
07-16-2023, 11:46 PM
Well, I will say nothing about brits because is not my area of expertise, but honestly, I can see those portuguese passing perfectly as everyday spanairds.

Well to me they look more distinct of Portugal, some Spaniards i think would struggle to pass in Portugal though, do you think nearly all pass in each others country? because there are some distinctions i think in most regions.

Tooting Carmen
07-16-2023, 11:55 PM
Well to me they look more distinct of Portugal, some Spaniards i think would struggle to pass in Portugal though, do you think nearly all pass in each others country? because there are some distinctions i think in most regions.

Even Damiao de Gois once said half-jokingly that people like Raul Gonzalez and Rossy de Palma wouldn't really pass in Portugal.

Oliver109
07-16-2023, 11:58 PM
Even Damiao de Gois once said half-jokingly that people like Raul Gonzalez and Rossy de Palma wouldn't really pass in Portugal.

Spanish have more facial relief i think, sharper features, what strikes me about the Portuguese is that they have softer facial features giving them a less severe look

B01AB20
07-16-2023, 11:59 PM

The most baskid types maybe.

Oliver109
07-17-2023, 12:02 AM
The most baskid types maybe.

Yes, also perhaps more atlanto med, alpine med, atlantid alpine types in Spain tend to look distinct

Mixdguy17
07-17-2023, 12:46 AM
Ofcs not. They are practically the same people genetically.

I don't see how casillas can't pass in portugal and the other guy in spain.

vader
07-17-2023, 12:48 AM
no. Wouldn't make any logical sense.

Tooting Carmen
07-17-2023, 12:55 AM
Ofcs not. They are practically the same people genetically.

I don't see how casillas can't pass in portugal and the other guy in spain.

Similar to how certain users (especially Oliver and Creoda) nitpick the differences between British Isles groups, despite them really being pretty similar to one another.

Oliver109
07-17-2023, 01:07 AM
Similar to how certain users (especially Oliver and Creoda) nitpick the differences between British Isles groups, despite them really being pretty similar to one another.

I think any group is going to vary with distance, it's just natural that people wont look the same over 500km apart

Tooting Carmen
07-17-2023, 01:10 AM
I think any group is going to vary with distance, it's just natural that people wont look the same over 500km apart

But Britain is a small (in area) and densely-populated country characterised by lots of internal migration since at least the Industrial Revolution (and no small measure of external migration, for that matter, in particular from neighbouring Ireland, of course). 500km is about the distance of London to Newcastle, i.e. practically one end of England to the other.

Oliver109
07-17-2023, 01:13 AM
But Britain is a small (in area) and densely-populated country characterised by lots of internal migration since at least the Industrial Revolution (and no small measure of external migration, for that matter, in particular from neighbouring Ireland, of course). 500km is about the distance of London to Newcastle, i.e. practically one end of England to the other.

There are still many surnames that can be found almost exclusively in the north or the south though, many southern surnames are extremely rare in Scotland and some Welsh surnames are very rare in eastern England.

Tooting Carmen
07-17-2023, 01:15 AM
There are still many surnames that can be found almost exclusively in the north or the south though, many southern surnames are extremely rare in Scotland and some Welsh surnames are very rare in eastern England.

True, but interestingly, a study by the Welsh Government found that only around a third of the current population of Wales have surnames of indigenous Welsh origin, and Jones is the second-most common surname in England as well as the most in Wales. In fact, in the regular posts I open about Wales Online's lists of criminal suspects and prisoners, I am often struck by the number of Irish surnames in particular among the Welsh underclass (as is also the case in much of England).

Oliver109
07-17-2023, 01:17 AM
True, but interestingly a study by the Welsh Government found that only around a third of the current population of Wales have surnames of indigenous Welsh origin, and Jones is the second-most common surname in England as well as the most in Wales.

Welsh adopted anglicised names though it is i think obvious that a lot of Welsh probably moved there in industrial times, Wales is probably the most rural country of Britain really.

Tooting Carmen
07-17-2023, 01:19 AM
Welsh adopted anglicised names though it is i think obvious that a lot of Welsh probably moved there in industrial times, Wales is probably the most rural country of Britain really.

Nope Scotland is, at least beyond the Edinburgh-Glasgow belt. Not even Powys is anything like as sparsely-populated as the Scottish Highlands, and even many Border regions are quite sparsely-populated too.

Oliver109
07-17-2023, 01:22 AM
Nope Scotland is, at least beyond the Edinburgh-Glasgow belt. Not even Powys is anything like as sparsely-populated as the Scottish Highlands, and even many Border regions are quite sparsely-populated too.

The population of Scotland is much more urbanised i think, most Welsh live in small settlements in the Valleys, borderlands and a few towns and cities in the south, Cardiff is very small compared to even Edinburgh let alone Glasgow, in terms of population concentration the central belt probably rivals south east England for population density.

Tooting Carmen
07-17-2023, 01:27 AM
The population of Scotland is much more urbanised i think, most Welsh live in small settlements in the Valleys, borderlands and a few towns and cities in the south, Cardiff is very small compared to even Edinburgh let alone Glasgow, in terms of population concentration the central belt probably rivals south east England for population density.

Scotland has more extremes than Wales in most things: its cities are bigger but its rural areas are even remoter and lacking in people (and overall, Scotland is indeed more sparsely-populated than Wales). Furthermore, Scotland is overall wealthier than Wales, though in large part that is due to North Sea oil, and it does have a higher percentage of people in Professional/Managerial/Technical occupations, but at the same time its underclass is even more violent and problematic than their Welsh counterparts, which explains why it has a lower life expectancy than Wales and higher rates of alcohol and drug-related deaths.

Oliver109
07-17-2023, 01:32 AM
Scotland has more extremes than Wales in most things: its cities are bigger but its rural areas are even remoter and lacking in people (and overall, Scotland is indeed more sparsely-populated than Wales). Furthermore, Scotland is overall wealthier than Wales, though in large part that is due to North Sea oil, and it does have a higher percentage of people in Professional/Managerial/Technical occupations, but at the same time its underclass is even more violent and problematic than their Welsh counterparts, which explains why it has a lower life expectancy than Wales and higher rates of alcohol and drug-related deaths.

I think Wales underclass probably surpasses that of Scotland in terms of poverty and general bad living standards, the valleys are probably more grim than anywhere in Scotland, when i visited Glasgow while it felt run down in parts it was generally more civilised feeling than when i took a bus through the valleys to climb the Brecon Beacons, Scotland probably compares with Yorkshire, it is definitely posher than north east England i would say.

Sebastianus Rex
07-17-2023, 01:36 AM

Among groups I believe it's possible to tell closely related peoples apart since there's a higher proportion of certain phenotypes (for example Spanish groups tend to have more Baskid elements and a higher degree of leptorrhines compared to Portuguese who have usually a higher degree of roundish features/noses) and also the style of clothing, hair etc can be differentiated.

Between the various British regions I have not studied that enough but I admit that among groups it could be possible to detect patterns/tendencies. Between french groups it is rather easy, the north is noticeably blonder than the south but intermediate regions perhaps not so easy.

Individually it is almost impossible to say that one individual don't pass among genetically related populations, even extremely Spanish/Baskid types like Unai Emery would pass here, although a bit atypical, there are also enough people with similar looks.

https://s2-ge.glbimg.com/O98FZK6TovxE7b9efsjK8PtEGu4=/0x0:5816x3877/984x0/smart/filters:strip_icc()/i.s3.glbimg.com/v1/AUTH_bc8228b6673f488aa253bbcb03c80ec5/internal_photos/bs/2023/2/u/pCJ2reQnAFeevowNAfOg/f30445f6fadc48206a449f930b4d22fcy29udgvudhnlyxjjag fwaswxnjgxnju1nzy3-2.71743727.jpg

https://imagens.publico.pt/imagens.aspx/1399950?tp=UH&db=IMAGENS&type=PNG

https://fotos.web.sapo.io/i/B0707a986/21183767_ea4pq.jpeg

Tooting Carmen
07-17-2023, 01:37 AM
I think Wales underclass probably surpasses that of Scotland in terms of poverty and general bad living standards, the valleys are probably more grim than anywhere in Scotland, when i visited Glasgow while it felt run down in parts it was generally more civilised feeling than when i took a bus through the valleys to climb the Brecon Beacons, Scotland probably compares with Yorkshire, it is definitely posher than north east England i would say.

Well Glasgow has many both very wealthy and very poor areas, whereas towns like Merthyr Tydfil and Port Talbot are pretty homogeneously working-class. And while it may be the case that, materially, the Welsh underclass is as poor or even poorer than the Scottish underclass, the latter certainly take the cake when it comes to violence and antisocial lifestyles/behaviour.

Tooting Carmen
07-17-2023, 01:38 AM
Among groups I believe it's possible to tell closely related peoples apart since there's a higher proportion of certain phenotypes (for example Spanish groups tend to have more Baskid elements and a higher degree of leptorrhines compared to Portuguese who have usually a higher degree of roundish features/noses) and also the style of clothing, hair etc can be differentiated.

Between the various British regions I have not studied that enough but I admit that among groups it could be possible to detect patterns/tendencies. Between french groups it is rather easy, the north is noticeably blonder than the south but intermediate regions perhaps not so easy.

Individually it is almost impossible to say that one individual don't pass among genetically related populations, even extremely Spanish/Baskid types like Unai Emery would pass here, although a bit atypical, there are also enough people with similar looks.

https://s2-ge.glbimg.com/O98FZK6TovxE7b9efsjK8PtEGu4=/0x0:5816x3877/984x0/smart/filters:strip_icc()/i.s3.glbimg.com/v1/AUTH_bc8228b6673f488aa253bbcb03c80ec5/internal_photos/bs/2023/2/u/pCJ2reQnAFeevowNAfOg/f30445f6fadc48206a449f930b4d22fcy29udgvudhnlyxjjag fwaswxnjgxnju1nzy3-2.71743727.jpg

One of the more sensible contributions I have read in this thread (and many others). :thumb001:

Sebastianus Rex
07-17-2023, 01:54 AM
Well Glasgow has many both very wealthy and very poor areas, whereas towns like Merthyr Tydfil and Port Talbot are pretty homogeneously working-class. And while it may be the case that, materially, the Welsh underclass is as poor or even poorer than the Scottish underclass, the latter certainly take the cake when it comes to violence and antisocial lifestyles/behaviour.

Why is the British upper class so pedantic and full of ridiculous mannerisms and the British underclass so prone to alcoholism and harsh accents ?

Tooting Carmen
07-17-2023, 02:10 AM
Why is the British upper class so pedantic and full of ridiculous mannerisms and the British underclass so prone to alcoholism and harsh accents ?

A pathetic class and land ownership structure dating back to 1066 on the one hand, and the first country to have an Industrial Revolution and thus a large urban proletariat on the other?

Boudin
07-17-2023, 02:11 AM

I think these two pass better in Portugal than Spain.

Carl_uhul
07-17-2023, 02:24 AM
no. Wouldn't make any logical sense.

Since they are different countries with huge differences in size and population, I don't know why my question would be that dumb/non-sense.

Sebastianus Rex
07-17-2023, 02:27 AM
A pathetic class and land ownership structure dating back to 1066 on the one hand, and the first country to have an Industrial Revolution and thus a large urban proletariat on the other?

Perhaps those are the two pillars from which the whole British society was shaped but the question of the accents is fascinating, within the same city/region the underclass accents are kept from one generation to the another (cockney for ex) and the middle and upper class talk in a completely different way, usually Received Pronunciation (RP) or even a posher variant for the upper class. It's like an identity marker from classes that deep down hate each other and are conscious of it.

Carl_uhul
07-17-2023, 02:28 AM

Thanks for answering seriously this time, that was a truly doubt I had about this issue.

Ruggery
07-17-2023, 05:50 AM
Exclusive looks? I don't think there is, or if there are, they are very few, since the Portuguese and Spanish are one of the most related European groups, almost as related as the Scottish-Irish or German-austrian.

What is true is that there are certain types of looks and phenotypes that are more common in some other area, for example, the area of ​​Spain closest to Portugal will be more similar to the Portuguese, while the area further away will be the most different. the border area with France for example, I think Baskid and Alpine are much more common in Spain than in Portugal and Gracile med in Portugal than in Spain but they can still be seen in both countries

But hey, that's from my point of view.
Nor am I Septentrion or Aherne to affirm something as if it were the absolute truth, so some of the Portuguese or Spanish members can correct me if I am correct or not.

Tooting Carmen
07-17-2023, 09:05 AM
Perhaps those are the two pillars from which the whole British society was shaped but the question of the accents is fascinating, within the same city/region the underclass accents are kept from one generation to the another (cockney for ex) and the middle and upper class talk in a completely different way, usually Received Pronunciation (RP) or even a posher variant for the upper class. It's like an identity marker from classes that deep down hate each other and are conscious of it.

True.

Richard Alvarez
07-17-2023, 09:58 AM
I actually believe that someone like Cristiano Ronaldo would be uncommon in Spain.
He could pass for sure but I have never seen a Spaniard who looked like Cristiano Ronaldo.

Gallop
07-17-2023, 11:05 AM
I actually believe that someone like Cristiano Ronaldo would be uncommon in Spain.
He could pass for sure but I have never seen a Spaniard who looked like Cristiano Ronaldo.

This waiter from Malaga in the 40s/50s. I don't know if he is gypsy or non-gypsy. I have a thread with him to sort it out but nobody replied, so don't complain afterwards.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEis2rKJk8o3pBwWZATxv0a-VwmK5gjxnbOgvv_-QpjW2Gx6HbJcA94Qyl7tBiO1d46CrThbeqKhv73S5_Oc8K6yrl AbEl-MfOcoiymEUFFDRiqSCOZOFoa9VEjphkWscVPE6vzTADM0RwRhu f3KosGaV9U-XnlIu68zizIgcyN5nMoJxqw8cjqHVz5mIvo/s1394/MALAGAPASTELERO.jpg

I have not been to Portugal but my brother has, I asked him and he told me that there is a physical difference between the Portuguese and the Spanish, he says that they are more graceful and darker and that he got the feeling that their skin is a bit thicker. That's what he told me, I have to be honest. In any case, it is not an issue that concerns us or that is discussed between Spaniards and Portuguese.

Oliver109
07-17-2023, 11:07 AM
This waiter from Malaga in the 40s/50s. I don't know if he is gypsy or non-gypsy. I have a thread with him to sort it out but nobody replied, so don't complain afterwards.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEis2rKJk8o3pBwWZATxv0a-VwmK5gjxnbOgvv_-QpjW2Gx6HbJcA94Qyl7tBiO1d46CrThbeqKhv73S5_Oc8K6yrl AbEl-MfOcoiymEUFFDRiqSCOZOFoa9VEjphkWscVPE6vzTADM0RwRhu f3KosGaV9U-XnlIu68zizIgcyN5nMoJxqw8cjqHVz5mIvo/s1394/MALAGAPASTELERO.jpg

I have not been to Portugal but my brother has, I asked him and he told me that there is a physical difference between the Portuguese and the Spanish, he says that they are more graceful and darker and that he got the feeling that their skin is a bit thicker. That's what he told me, I have to be honest. In any case, it is not an issue that concerns us or that is discussed between Spaniards and Portuguese.

I suppose there are not many things discussed between the Spaniards and the Portuguese, they don't really understand each others language for a start.

renisenb
07-17-2023, 12:54 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo seems like a Portugese who might not pass in Spain. Not that i've been to either country. Just observations from watching football teams.

renisenb
07-17-2023, 12:56 PM

Haha yes i agree, i just saw your post

renisenb
07-17-2023, 12:59 PM
I wonder if he has Amerindian in him? Via Brazil. Perhaps that's what makes Portugese look a bit different. Spanish people generally don't have that, although Rafael Nadal and Fernando Verdasco look part Amerindian too.

vader
07-17-2023, 02:27 PM
Since they are different countries with huge differences in size and population, I don't know why my question would be that dumb/non-sense.

I don't think your question is dumb. I just think the answer is simple really. No. Iberians are genetically so similar that phenotype expression is a toss of a coin. Sure there are small differences, I just don't think they are great enough to say a Portuguese can't pass in Spain, and vice versa. That is more of something some incel pseudoscience investigator on a donkey would argue. Truth is, the differences would have more to do with style and fashion than facial looks, etc.

vader
07-17-2023, 02:31 PM

funny enough. Ronaldo isn't that uncommon in Spain counter to what some will argue. If you see madrista fans (and I mean ethnic spainards) and him they don't look all that different as people may try to say/ it isn't impossible to think he is Spaniard. Most common type? Def. not. But to say he can't pass is a bit disingenuous, and another trait online keyboard warriors will say with 0 reality outside their computer.

Oliver109
07-17-2023, 02:33 PM
I don't think your question is dumb. I just think the answer is simple really. No. Iberians are genetically so similar that phenotype expression is a toss of a coin. Sure there are small differences, I just don't think they are great enough to say a Portuguese can't pass in Spain, and vice versa. That is more of something some incel pseudoscience investigator on a donkey would argue. Truth is, the differences would have more to do with style and fashion than facial looks, etc.

Well of course the differences are small but then they are sort of like the differences between a Dane and a northernmost German or a Dutch and a Belgian, present but most people wouldn't look out of place in the other country

Oliver109
07-17-2023, 02:33 PM
funny enough. Ronaldo isn't that uncommon in Spain counter to what some will argue. If you see madrista fans (and I mean ethnic spainards) and him they don't look all that different as people may try to say/ it isn't impossible to think he is Spaniard. Most common type? Def. not. But to say he can't pass is a bit disingenuous, and another trait online keyboard warriors will say with 0 reality outside their computer.

I actually think Ronaldo looks just as typical in Spain as in Portugal, his mother has a much more specific Portuguese look imo

Damićo de Góis
07-17-2023, 06:50 PM

Yes, that is how we identify spanish tourists in Portugal: by their light pigmentation and by their thin skin (we measure skin thickness of tourists). It has nothing to do with their loud machine gun language.

Richard Alvarez
07-17-2023, 06:54 PM
Spanish tourists in Portugal are mostly identified by their language.

Boudin
07-17-2023, 07:19 PM

Bump.

Cristiano viejo
07-17-2023, 07:20 PM
I don't see Joćo Moutinho passing in a team with Iker Casillas, Nacho Fernandez, Juan Mata, Andrés Iniesta, David Villa, Fernando Torres, Cesc Fabregas and Koke. He would look off in my opinion.

Cool story :pound:

alnortedelsur
07-17-2023, 07:58 PM
Are there Portuguese people who can't pass anywhere in Spain and Spanish people who can't pass anywhere in Portugal? I'm a newbie at physical anthropology, but there are some people who I take a look at, and I keep thinking "this guy looks very Portuguese and I don't see him passing in Spain", such as Joćo Moutinho, for example:

============.

I don't think so. They would pass in each other countries with nobody batting an eye.

Tooting Carmen
07-17-2023, 08:00 PM
I don't think so. They would pass in each other countries with nobody batting an eye.

As groups I think Portuguese and Spaniards look slightly different for reasons best explained by Sebastianus Rex earlier, but in the grand scheme of things it is very minor, of course.

alnortedelsur
07-17-2023, 08:03 PM
As groups I think Portuguese and Spaniards look slightly different for reasons best explained by Sebastianus Rex earlier, but in the grand scheme of things it is very minor, of course.

I agree on that. I was referring to Casillas and that Portuguese guy.

I don't think Casillas would stand out in Portugal, and I don't think that Portuguese guy would stand out as foreign in Spain. They would easily blend in in each other countries.

Brįs Garcia de Mascarenhas
07-17-2023, 09:11 PM
Yes, that is how we identify spanish tourists in Portugal: by their light pigmentation and by their thin skin (we measure skin thickness of tourists). It has nothing to do with their loud machine gun language.

You made me chuckle :lol:

Carl_uhul
07-17-2023, 09:24 PM

They are very cute
I would date any of them if they accepted

Boudin
07-17-2023, 10:25 PM
They are very cute
I would date any of them if they accepted

But do they pass better in Portugal than Spain?

Carl_uhul
07-17-2023, 11:04 PM
Cool story :pound:

What's the matter? Both Joćo Moutinho and those Spanish players I mentioned look 100% white Europeans. I just think I don't often see people with Joćo Moutinho's look in Spain (considering the Spaniards you and other Spanish members post here), the same way I don't often see Portuguese people (those who are posted by Portuguese members from this forum) with Casillas' look. I mean, both Portugal and Spanish are European countries, therefore people from both countries look white as I mentioned before; I just said I don't often see people like Joćo Moutinho in Spain and the other way around, but I didn't see "Spanishes look less white than Portugueses" or "Portugueses look less white than Spanishes". Joćo Moutinho looks 100% white European, but he has a very Portuguese vibe. Iker Casillas also looks 100% white European, but he has a very Spanish vibe.

Carl_uhul
07-17-2023, 11:06 PM
But do they pass better in Portugal than Spain?

Imo they have a phenotype which is common to both countries. I don't see them passing only in Spain but not in Portugal, nor the other way around.

alnortedelsur
07-17-2023, 11:32 PM

There are also many Spaniards with soft/fleshy features as those girls. They could also pass as Spaniards.

Ruggery
07-18-2023, 03:15 AM

I bet that a Frenchman says that to Gallop and he would have been angry.

Boudin
07-18-2023, 06:27 AM
There are also many Spaniards with soft/fleshy features as those girls. They could also pass as Spaniards.

Would you have bet they were Portuguese though? How much "more" Portuguese-looking are they?

alnortedelsur
07-18-2023, 06:43 AM
Would you have bet they were Portuguese though? How much "more" Portuguese-looking are they?

I see in them a Portuguese vibe, but yet they could also pass as Spaniards just fine.

They have a look more frequent in Portugal, but that also can happen (common enough) among ethnic Spaniards. The one on the right, for example, reminds me to a Catalan girl (from Barcelona) I met several years back in Spain.

Cristiano viejo
07-18-2023, 07:44 AM
What's the matter? Both Joćo Moutinho and those Spanish players I mentioned look 100% white Europeans.

That is irrelevant and I did not even think about that.

Moutinho could walk in the streets of Spain and absolutely no one would think that he is a foreigner.

Sebastianus Rex
07-18-2023, 06:15 PM
I suppose there are not many things discussed between the Spaniards and the Portuguese, they don't really understand each others language for a start.

He meant it is a subject that interests no one, why should I speak with a spaniard if we look alike or not? The average people care nothing about phenotypes, most don't even know what the word means.

Most people understand each other even if they don't speak the language, not on the level to have a deep conversation but for basic stuff like ordering food at a restaurant or asking for directions there's no much problems, if we speak slowly then almost everything is understood, where did you get that idea ?

For example I went to a clinic today and the doctor was a spaniard who spoke portuńol, everybody understood him fine, even old people with local regional accents.

Oliver109
07-18-2023, 06:34 PM
He meant it is a subject that interests no one, why should I speak with a spaniard if we look alike or not? The average people care nothing about phenotypes, most don't even know what the word means.

Most people understand each other even if they don't speak the language, not on the level to have a deep conversation but for basic stuff like ordering food at a restaurant or asking for directions there's no much problems, if we speak slowly then almost everything is understood, where did you get that idea ?

For example I went to a clinic today and the doctor was a spaniard who spoke portuńol, everybody understood him fine, even old people with local regional accents.

Lol i know what you mean but when i spoke Spanish in Portugal some did struggle to understand, it isn't as bad as speaking English in France but it is still difficult for many to understand easily.

B01AB20
07-18-2023, 06:35 PM

I guess the main source of information of Olly is... this forum!!

So no wonder he has quite bizarre opinions.

Cristiano viejo
07-18-2023, 07:29 PM
Lol i know what you mean but when i spoke Spanish in Portugal some did struggle to understand

hahaha, we would have to see you speaking in Spanish, trololololol :pound:

Sebastianus Rex
07-18-2023, 08:27 PM
Lol i know what you mean but when i spoke Spanish in Portugal some did struggle to understand, it isn't as bad as speaking English in France but it is still difficult for many to understand easily.

I guess it depends on many things, if your accent is "contaminated" by English etc and of course there's always people who have more difficulties than others (heck there's even people who don't understand well other accents from their own country). But Spaniards usually don't have problems in communicating if they have the good sense to speak slowly...you can ask Spaniards like CV who have been to Portugal if communication was easy or not.

Cristiano viejo
07-19-2023, 05:32 PM
you can ask Spaniards like CV who have been to Portugal if communication was easy or not.

It could not be easier: we asked in Spanish and they answered in Portuguese, and everybody understood :p

07-19-2023, 06:08 PM
I guess it depends on many things, if your accent is "contaminated" by English etc and of course there's always people who have more difficulties than others (heck there's even people who don't understand well other accents from their own country). But Spaniards usually don't have problems in communicating if they have the good sense to speak slowly...you can ask Spaniards like CV who have been to Portugal if communication was easy or not.

It can also depend on if he actually knows how to speak the language. I doubt he does.

Sebastianus Rex
07-19-2023, 06:26 PM
It could not be easier: we asked in Spanish and they answered in Portuguese, and everybody understood :p

Exactly, only foreigners come with such theories...I wonder why ? :rolleyes:

Sebastianus Rex
07-19-2023, 06:30 PM
It can also depend on if he actually knows how to speak the language. I doubt he does.

That happens a lot when foreigners try to speak macarronic spanish with us with their thick accents...it becomes jibberish, better to speak in english then.

Oliver109
07-19-2023, 06:45 PM

My Spanish accent is quite clear, I used to work in a restaurant and Spanish customers were surprised that I had lived in London my whole life and thought I was a refugee, anyway my knowledge of Spanish is fairly good though I cannot easily hold a conversation in Spanish because I don't speak it much on the UK.

Ruggery
07-19-2023, 07:17 PM
That happens a lot when foreigners try to speak macarronic spanish with us with their thick accents...it becomes jibberish, better to speak in english then.

Speaking of the accent, is the Brazilian accent so different from the one in Portugal?

Sebastianus Rex
07-19-2023, 07:18 PM
My Spanish accent is quite clear, I used to work in a restaurant and Spanish customers were surprised that I had lived in London my whole life and thought I was a refugee, anyway my knowledge of Spanish is fairly good though I cannot easily hold a conversation in Spanish because I don't speak it much on the UK.

They tought you were a refugee ?! xD

Sebastianus Rex
07-19-2023, 07:18 PM
Speaking of the accent, is the Brazilian accent so different from the one in Portugal?

Like castillian and porteńo.

B01AB20
07-19-2023, 07:56 PM
They tought you were a refugee ?! xD

yeah, from nicaragua.

Sebastianus Rex
07-20-2023, 05:35 AM
yeah, from nicaragua.

That makes me wonder, why would Spanish tourists say they tought he is a refugee unless he's really dark and/or his spanish is really bad? :eek:

Oliver109
07-20-2023, 08:06 AM
That makes me wonder, why would Spanish tourists would say they tought he is a refugee unless he's really dark and/or his spanish is really bad? :eek:

Lol Isn't anyone who comes from a poorer European country to the UK a refugee according to the definition? If an Albanian going to the UK is a refugee then I think so is a Spaniard or a Bulgarian.

Sebastianus Rex
07-20-2023, 10:22 AM
Lol Isn't anyone who comes from a poorer European country to the UK a refugee according to the definition? If an Albanian going to the UK is a refugee then I think so is a Spaniard or a Bulgarian.

No, refugee is not the same as immigrant, I don't even have to explain this...besides there's no refugees from Spain so why would they think you are a refugee if they tought you are from Spain?

07-20-2023, 10:33 AM
Basically just confessed indirectly that he is either extremely exotic by Iberian standards or someone who happens to have no European origin at all. Nothing surprising and explains the extrinsic obsessions with certain topics.

Oliver109
07-20-2023, 10:48 AM
No, a refugee is not the same as immigrant, I don't even have to explain this...besides there's no refugees from Spain so why would they think you are a refugee if they tought you are from Spain?
I used the word refugee in a tongue in cheek way because the English see poor Europeans who move to the UK as refugees many times i.e the Albanians at Dover. Anyway they didn't use the word refugee, they thought I had moved recently to England to work.

Sebastianus Rex
07-20-2023, 11:00 AM
I used the word refugee in a tongue in cheek way because the English see poor Europeans who move to the UK as refugees many times i.e the Albanians at Dover. Anyway they didn't use the word refugee, they thought I had moved recently to England to work.

:rolleyes: Nothing of what you wrote makes sense.

B01AB20
07-20-2023, 04:10 PM

:rolleyes: Nothing of what you wrote makes sense.

He also said that he has no problem passing as native british althoug he's not blond and nordic.

But I'm lost now. Who said you had moved recently to England to work??. Spanish customers, because your spanish is sooo impressive? or English customers because your look is also so impressive and mediterranean???

And you are waiter??

Oh Olly!! it's hard to follow you and your awesome experiences in this life. I'm overwhelmed absolutely.

ugochaves
07-20-2023, 04:18 PM
Portugal Is predominant Gracile med & Berid, while Spain Atlanto med with Important minorities of Baskid Atlantid Alpine etc
I really want to be politically correct and not incur Russophobia ...this man is not a European. Beat me, and so on, is it not a European? This is my personal opinion.

Cristiano viejo
07-20-2023, 11:14 PM
And you are waiter??

A fuckin dark exotic waiter (all my respects to this group, without them who would serve me a cold beer this summer??) who rides donkeys in his travels to Portugal, who claims Afhgans and Pakis are Europeans... THIS ONLY HAPPENS IN APRICITY :lol:

Laredo
07-20-2023, 11:27 PM
I really want to be politically correct and not incur Russophobia ...this man is not a European. Beat me, and so on, is it not a European? This is my personal opinion.

Im European, Jewish and Native I'm all you think I'm a Filipino with only 1% European ancestry?:icon_lol:

Even being only 1% already gives you the right to be In this horrible forum.

ugochaves
07-21-2023, 03:01 AM
Im European, Jewish and Native I'm all you think I'm a Filipino with only 1% European ancestry?:icon_lol:

Being Filipino is a privilege!

Sebastianus Rex
07-22-2023, 01:59 AM

And what makes you think you have jewish ancestry?

Sebastianus Rex
07-22-2023, 02:01 AM
A fuckin dark exotic waiter (all my respects to this group, without them who would serve me a cold beer this summer??) who rides donkeys in his travels to Portugal, who claims Afhgans and Pakis are Europeans... THIS ONLY HAPPENS IN APRICITY :lol:

I believe he his Afghan, therefore his obsession with "white afghanis who would pass in the UK".

Laredo
07-22-2023, 03:44 AM
And what makes you think you have jewish ancestry?

Are you seriously asking this? or just asking to piss me off? all mexicans have Jewish ancestry (North African & West Asian) I mean ALL It Is very mixed within the Spanish, on YourDNAPortal It has me up to 15% Northern African/West Asian/Italian In K36

Right now as Ive said before Im waiting on my AncestryDNA Results pretty much Im expecting more or less the same as FTDNA 2/3 Spanish/Mena/African and 1/3 Indio.

Sebastianus Rex
07-22-2023, 03:58 AM
Are you seriously asking this? or just asking to piss me off? all mexicans have Jewish ancestry (North African & West Asian) I mean ALL It Is very mixed within the Spanish, on YourDNAPortal It has me up to 15% Northern African/West Asian/Italian In K36

Right now as Ive said before Im waiting on my AncestryDNA Results pretty much Im expecting more or less the same as FTDNA 2/3 Spanish/Mena/African and 1/3 Indio.

And what exact lineage of your ancestors were jewish? If that was truth you could confirm it with the rabi of the region where your family comes from, they have all the written records of jewish lineages since centuries ago.

You're just mistaking ancestral admixture components ( amalgamated in a confusing way by the usual shitty man made calculators) with actual ancestry.

Laredo
07-22-2023, 04:09 AM
And what exact lineage of your ancestors were jewish? If that was truth you could confirm it with the rabi of the region where your family comes from, they have all the written records of jewish lineages since centuries ago.

You're just mistaking ancestral admixture components ( amalgamated in a confusing way by the usual shitty man made calculators) with actual ancestry.

Obviously the Jewish admixture Is so low that its hard to detect exactly from where just like the black African admixture In Mexicans Is very low but Is well know Conversos Jews migrated to New Spain when King Charles of Spain removed all Jews from Andalusia and repopulated with Christians.

Also FTDNA Its not as reliable as Ancestry DNA or 23andme another reason why I decided to take another test basically to confirm all my ancestries.

Sebastianus Rex
07-22-2023, 04:20 AM
Obviously the Jewish admixture Is so low that its hard to detect exactly from where just like the black African admixture In Mexicans its very low but Is well know Conversos Jews migrated to New Spain when King Charles of Spain removed all Jews from Andalusia and repopulated with Christians.

Also FTDNA Its not as reliable as Ancestry DNA or 23andme another reason why I decided to take another test basically to confirm all my ancestries.

That is speculation from you. You can't actually know if that portion of your dna is specifically from jewish origins, many peoples share the same ancestral components, there is no specific component that can be exclusivey identified with the jewish peoples, some haplogroups can be, up to a significant degree but surely not autosomal dna. Let's say that your dna with origins in the Levante/Middle East can be even much older and unrelated to any jewish ancestry. Two different things.

Cristiano viejo
07-22-2023, 12:15 PM
Laredo lives in a constant lie and self-contemp :picard1: