PDA

View Full Version : School children told to join Team Australia

European blood
12-02-2011, 06:49 PM
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/11/21/1226201/785873-students.jpg

VICTORIAN Multicultural Affairs and Citizenship Minister Nick Kotsiras has this morning reiterated his belief that more work must be done to help school children identify themselves as Australian.

Alarmed that a significant number of migrant children do not identify as Australian, Mr Kotsiras is promoting a radical civic program to make kids feel part of "Team Australia".

His spokesman told the Herald Sun this morning that the "Team Australia" idea was Mr Kotsiras's personal view and was not government policy.

Mr Kotsiras said up to a third of students at classes he visited did not feel Australian.

"To me, that's disappointing, because I would hope to see every single child putting up their hands," he said.

"What makes you feel that you're not part of Victoria, not part of Australia?

"Our young people, when they grow up, if they keep that impression then that would cause some frictions.

"We need to see why and then try programs to assist them to feel part of the team - Team Australia."

Mr Kotsiras said most schools regularly sang the national anthem, but he wanted all schools to do it as a symbol of unity.

"I would hope that during school assemblies at the start of the week that schools do sing the national anthem because you tend to feel united and tend to appreciate that while you are different you also share something with the person next to you," he said.

Australian Education Union Victorian branch president Mary Bluett said the minister’s calls were simplistic and “jingoistic”.

“I think the minister is oversimplifying if he thinks children together singing the national anthem will make new arrivals feel like they actually belong,” Ms Bluett said.

“It just seems a bit of jingoistic nonsense in terms of what is a far more complex issue.”

She said friendships and everyday activities in the classroom and playground were more helpful than singing the anthem to integrate students.

“What makes them feel like they belong is the everyday activities, sitting side-by-side with other children and learning about all things including this wonderful country of ours.

“It’s making friends and forming bonds that really assist children to feel fully integrated into our lovely multicultural nation.”

Ms Bluett said words in the anthem, such as “girt”, were outdated for modern school kids.

“There are words in our national anthem that Aussie kids would struggle to identify with, let alone new arrivals.”

She said it was up to individual schools to decide when it was appropriate to sing the anthem.

Greek-born Mr Kotsiras said the State Government was planning a beefed up program to promote Australian values.

"I support multiculturalism, I support our cultural diversity and I support individuals showcasing their differences," he said.

" ... I've always said that we also have to understand that we are Victorians and Australians as well."

Children of New Zealand origin are the biggest foreign-born group in state primary schools, followed by students from the UK, India, China, the Philippines, Sri Lanka and Malaysia.

Dandenong North primary principal Kevin Mackay said his school had many migrant students and they often maintained strong links to their homelands.

"Often you will hear from 11 and 12-year-old children, 'My country', and that's the country they came from, not necessarily Australia," he said.

But Mr Mackay said students proudly sang the national anthem at Monday assembly and the school felt like a big family.

"I see kids of all nationalities walking along the corridors arm in arm and arms around the shoulders," he said.

"They are totally at ease and totally integrated."

Mr Kotsiras has set up a special unit to co-ordinate the settlement of migrants and refugees and is also encouraging multicultural communities to band together when organising festivals and events under the $1.1 million Unity Through Partnership grants program.

The Baillieu Government has given official recognition to multiculturalism in a special Act and is boosting the teaching of foreign languages in schools.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/kids-told-to-join-team-australia/story-fn7x8me2-1226201798756