PDA

View Full Version : Workers still feel pressure to stay in the closet

European blood
12-02-2011, 07:02 PM
New figures from New South Wales show more than a quarter of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) employees have experienced harassment or bullying based on their sexuality.

In that context, it is not surprising that a recent US study found almost 50 per cent of LGBTI employees had not revealed their sexual identity at work.

That study also found the pressure to stay in the closet comes at a cost, to both the workers and their employers.

But many bosses are starting to realise that a workplace accepting of diverse sexualities can improve productivity and attract a wider range of talent.

Amy McGowan, a solicitor with Sydney's Inner-City Legal Centre at Kings Cross, says many LGBTI employees experience discrimination on an everyday basis.

"Things like whisper campaigns or putting pictures up or something like that, that's really targeting someone's sexuality but can often be written off as a joke," she said.

The centre provides a statewide service dealing with employment discrimination based on sexual orientation and identity.

Alana Yap, another solicitor at the centre, says such discrimination can push people out of work and lead to mental breakdowns.

"Some of them had to leave employment or they remained in employment but felt marginalised and weren't able to form relationships in the workplace or that they didn't feel comfortable in social interactions at work," she said.

The centre recently completed a survey of almost 600 LGBTI people across New South Wales for a soon-to-be-released report.
Troubling statistics

It found more than a quarter had been bullied, harassed or mistreated by a colleague at work because of their sexuality.

And almost a quarter had been outed at work against their will.

More than 13 per cent had resigned from a job because of discrimination by a colleague or employer and almost 8 per cent had been unfairly sacked.

The legal centre's director, Daniel Stubbs, say it is a problem that affects all industries.

"[It happens to] people working for large corporations, people working at call centres, people working in banks and places like that, but also people working in a building site. Every sector of employers, I think, has a lot of work to do in this area," he said.

But Ms McGowan says religious institutions, including schools, are among the worst offenders for discrimination based on sexual orientation.

"Under the NSW Act there is an exception and religious organisations don't have to adhere to the anti-discrimination laws when it comes to sexuality or gender identity," she said.

"So we've had numerous people come through with stories about losing their employment once their employer has become aware of their sexuality and that power can be used to not only dismiss someone but to bully them and make their life really difficult."

Those who were out about their sexual orientation and felt comfortable being themselves at work were more likely to want to stay with their company
Karen Sumberg, co-author of survey for the Centre for Work-Life Policy

The Centre for Work-Life Policy in New York did a survey of almost 3,000 people around the US about their experiences at work.

Karen Sumberg, a co-author of the report which featured in the Harvard Business Review, says the employees who were able to come out of the closet at work tended to have better career prospects.

"Forty-eight per cent are not out at work. Of that 48 per cent only 17 per cent are not out in their personal life either. So you do have a big percentage there who are out in their personal lives but are not out in their work lives," she said.

"Sixty-four per cent of those who are out at work are satisfied with their rate of advancement and promotion while only 48 per cent of those who are not out are satisfied with their rate of advancement and promotion."

And Ms Sumberg says there are productivity and staff retention benefits for employers who create an environment where their staff feel comfortable with being open about their sexual orientation.

"Those who were out about their sexual orientation and felt comfortable being themselves at work were more likely to want to stay with their company, feel good about their progress in the organisation than those who were closeted at work," she said.
Support networks

Deutsche Bank is one employer that provides peer support for employees who want to come out of the closet at work.

Jason Ortiz, the bank's vice-president of commodities in Singapore, says his experience with previous employers backs the findings of the US survey.

"When I was not working at Deutsche Bank I would not necessarily make up fictitious friends when people talk about, 'Oh, well I was out with my girlfriend', [but] I would probably be more like 'yes, I was hanging out with my best friends'," he said.

"It's almost like you're not faking but you're having to make up stories which definitely taxes you at work."

Mr Ortiz says Deutsche Bank's Rainbow Group helped him come out to his colleagues and managers.

Never assume. We can never assume that someone's straight. We can never assume that someone's gay or lesbian
Nareen Young, chief executive of Diversity Council Australia

"I just found there's some really great role models that I had at the bank. And, you know what, all these dudes are out and gay and have successful careers. I don't see why I can't be like that," he said.

Mr Ortiz is working with other staff to expand the bank's support group in Asia which has already helped some of his colleagues feel comfortable about revealing their sexual orientation to their colleagues and managers.

Diversity Council Australia chief executive Nareen Young says support networks established by employers are important.

But she also has some advice for employees about how they should treat their co-workers.

"Never assume. We can never assume that someone's straight. We can never assume that someone's gay or lesbian. We can never assume Aboriginality in Australia based on looks. We can never assume cultural background based on last name," she said.

"We live in a really multicultural, multi-identity society where it is really good and, in fact, I find really fun, never to assume about who anyone is or what they are."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-18/workers-still-being-pressured-to-stay-in-the-closet/3681056