PDA

View Full Version : Is it correct to say Northern Africans overlap with Southern Europeans and Levantines?

Ishy
07-27-2023, 09:56 PM
I’ve consistently heard how North Africans overlap with Mediterranean populations such as Levantines and Iberians and are genetically more distant from Sub-Saharan populations. There can be exceptions but in my opinion the differences are obvious. Here’s shots of Maghrebis. If the image on the link appears small just click on the picture to enlarge it.

https://ibb.co/KzKhpqk

Gallop
07-27-2023, 10:31 PM
It does not seem to me that they overlap with the Iberians as you say, and besides, being the Iberians an ancient population....

Beowulf
07-27-2023, 10:34 PM
In my personal expereience, not at all

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas
07-27-2023, 10:36 PM
Genetically they don't overlap with each other at all and if you're talking about the general appearance, either have different features but of course, there might be some individuals who can pass but generally speaking groups\crowds don't.

Oliver109
07-27-2023, 10:39 PM
I think some Algerians and Tunisians can pass better in Europe than many Moroccans who not only are darker but also have some Aterian influence that makes them very uneuropean looking.

PlattitüdenPaule
07-27-2023, 10:53 PM
Id say for some Calabrians and Sicilians it is true, since they're naturally more inclined towards crime (my oldest friend of almost 30 years being Calabrian, but even he says so), which is a standart Nafri characterisric, but for the majority of Southern Europe its a no no.

B01AB20
07-27-2023, 11:09 PM
Yes, rigorously speaking it's correct.

A very important piece of imformation is the % of this overlap.

A country with a 75% overlapping with Morocco for example, will be totally different from other country with a 10% overlapping with Morocco.

So what is significant is the % of overlapping of a country with another.

prohairesis
07-27-2023, 11:44 PM
some individuals like tahar rahim can overlap due to shared neolithic farmer-like ancestry, but as a group no.

even the unmixed berber are too distinctive-looking to pass as anything else. look at the kabyle musicians in this vid beginning @ 34:47. they are quite light-skinned and meddish, but have such strong mechta-afalou features that they can't pass anywhere but north africa, though as individuals some could pass as "berid" southern europeans.

https://youtu.be/d1a3AcdahcY?t=2086

Oliver109
07-28-2023, 12:13 AM
some individuals like tahar rahim can overlap due to shared neolithic farmer-like ancestry, but as a group no.

even the unmixed berber are too distinctive-looking to pass as anything else. look at the kabyle musicians in this vid beginning @ 34:47. they are quite light-skinned and meddish, but have such strong mechta-afalou features that they can't pass anywhere but north africa, though as individuals some could pass as "berid" southern europeans.

https://youtu.be/d1a3AcdahcY?t=2086

They look very different to Arabs from the middle east, fat lady singing at 37 mins looks like an Irish brunn

masoebu
07-28-2023, 12:19 AM
Yes, rigorously speaking it's correct.

A very important piece of imformation is the % of this overlap.

A country with a 75% overlapping with Morocco for example, will be totally different from other country with a 10% overlapping with Morocco.

So what is significant is the % of overlapping of a country with another.

This.

NSXD60
07-28-2023, 01:10 AM
Possibly Southern European populations were isolated from NA and the ME for millennia and became a little fairer and somewhat more sharply chiseled in facial features, some leaving their brethren to settle around the Black Sea region continuing the differentation and becoming P.I.E.s, after which their former homelands experienced an influx of NAs and MEs which altered their ancestors' appearances to a now noticeable extent.