PDA

View Full Version : The Gallaecian Celts

Anthropologique
12-03-2011, 04:03 AM
People of Galicia and Northern Portugal---

First 6 Galician and last 6 Northern Portuguese.

Damiăo de Góis
12-03-2011, 04:13 AM
Diana Pereira, the woman in blue holding a child, is from Coimbra. So a bit out of the scope of this thread. ;)

http://www.centralmodels.pt/por/images/news/07diana01.jpg

Anthropologique
12-03-2011, 04:22 AM
Diana Pereira, the woman in blue holding a child, is from Coimbra. So a bit out of the scope of this thread. ;)

http://www.centralmodels.pt/por/images/news/07diana01.jpg

Didn't know. Just a little too far south.:)

Lábaru
12-03-2011, 04:37 AM
Only one point, blue eyes not mean a Celtic origin, can be old Indo-European, more recent Germanic, Vandals and the Suevi, or even proto celts-ancient Westerners (blue eyes are not rare among Basques).

The thread refers to the common people of Galicia and northern Portugal or only those ones who have some specific features?

Anyway these are the people of Lugo, a city whose name is of Celtic origin based on the old Celtic god "Lug" ----> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lugh

bL8Q1lA8xlg

Riki
12-03-2011, 04:43 AM
I think there's is no difference between the phenotypes of north Portugal and the rest of Portugal.
Family's move along the country,me and my sister and parents born in Lisbon,the rest of my family is from Viseu,Coimbra,Faro,Tomar and the list continues.
When tracking my surname,It goes a few centuries ago almost to birth of Portugal,and my surname is PORTO

Anthropologique
12-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Only one point, blue eyes not mean a Celtic origin, can be old Indo-European, more recent Germanic, Vandals and the Suevi, or even proto celts-ancient Westerners (blue eyes are not rare among Basques).

The thread refers to the common people of Galicia and northern Portugal or only those ones who have some specific features?

Anyway these are the people of Lugo, a city whose name is of Celtic origin based on the old Celtic god "Lug" ----> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lugh

bL8Q1lA8xlg

The thread is concerned mainly with the ethnicities and customs of the region which, to a reasonable extent, still evince Celticity.

Anthropologique
12-03-2011, 01:50 PM
I think there's is no difference between the phenotypes of north Portugal and the rest of Portugal.
Family's move along the country,me and my sister and parents born in Lisbon,the rest of my family is from Viseu,Coimbra,Faro,Tomar and the list continues.
When tracking my surname,It goes a few centuries ago almost to birth of Portugal,and my surname is PORTO

I would generally agree. There are isolated regions where you do notice some differences. We also need to keep in mind that, after the Reconquista, repopulation was essentially north to south.

Anthropologique
12-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Pauliteiros and Pauliteiras. Stick dancers from Tras-os-Montes (north-east Portugal). Very similar to Welsh Morris dancing.

Anthropologique
12-03-2011, 06:14 PM
More Pauliteiros / Pauliteiras---

Anthropologique
12-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Pipers (gaiteiros) from the Douro valley (N. Portugal) and Pontevedra (Galicia).

SilverKnight
12-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Now I know from where me and my dad's love for Celtic music/culture comes from :D

Anthropologique
12-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Minho province, North-west Portugal.

Damiăo de Góis
12-04-2011, 08:10 PM

I agree and that's true considering most people i know. However, there are some exceptions too. My family is completely southern, i can't find ancestors from outside of Alentejo.

Anthropologique
12-05-2011, 06:29 PM
More Minho province ---

Anthropologique
12-06-2011, 02:28 AM
A Coruna, Galicia ---

Anthropologique
12-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Ourense province - South-east Galicia.

Vasconcelos
01-16-2012, 11:36 AM
The similarity between northern portugal (not necessarily the political region) and galicia can be staggering for those who aren't aware of it.

Still, I agree there's not a very significant difference between portuguese people, regardless of possible stereotypes or misinformation.