PDA

View Full Version : Eyes color distribution in ireland

loulou
12-03-2011, 01:50 PM
I open this topic to share experiences about the percentage of each eyes color.

The best thing is to write how you have found your result and for accurate outcome, you should choose a large enough population (for example, your classroom , your office, your shop, a sport team, your facebook's friend ...)

So give the size of your sample and the proportion, eventually your opinion : i am above-below the national average ...

I will try to make a abstract after sufficient answers.

Nglund
12-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Welcome to The Apricty, you really don't sound like a newbie :sad:...

ruthenia
12-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Around 30%. Most Europeans have brown eyes and apart from the Nordics I dont think it usually rises above 50% in most places.
The archetypal European is white skin, brown hair, brown eyes. People need to stop pretending to be things they are not, false Nordics.

gold_fenix
12-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Around 30%. Most Europeans have brown eyes and apart from the Nordics I dont think it usually rises above 50% in most places.
The archetypal European is white skin, brown hair, brown eyes. People need to stop pretending to be things they are not, false Nordics.

well out of Skandinavia green eyes and hazel are very common, i would say that a archetypal European is white skin, brown hair and green, hazel or brown eyes, too in women is more often light eyes

Hess
12-03-2011, 02:51 PM
The "Archetypal European" doesn't exist, I'm afraid. The Archetypal European from Malta will look vastly different than the Archetypal European from Poland. Even in one country, there can be sharp differences- North and South France, for example.

As to the question, As someone who lives in Boston and sees quite a few of them daily I think 30-40% is fair

loulou
12-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Around 30%. Most Europeans have brown eyes and apart from the Nordics I dont think it usually rises above 50% in most places.The archetypal European is white skin, brown hair, brown eyes.

In my school (people from all the country) i have count 56% of light (green+blue) eyes excluding people with a non-french name (around 20% of the sample).
It is in France (mostly from north) not in a nordic country.
So i tend to think that light eyes represent 40% of the french's population in the 50s and up to 50% in its north part.

PS: i have always see ukraine as a nation of mostly light eyes people, am i wrong ?

Welcome to The Apricty, you really don't sound like a newbie :sad:...

I am not exactly in fact but why did you say that ?:cool:

hajduk
12-04-2011, 12:36 PM
I have not been to Ireland but I have observed a large groups of Irish tourists in Bulgaria. Most of them have light eyes. So I say around 70%

Raskolnikov
12-04-2011, 12:45 PM
In the proportion of pure light eyes, Ireland competes successfully with the blondest regions of Scandinavia. Over 46 per cent of the total group has pure light eyes, and of these all but 4 per cent are blue. Very light-mixed eyes (equivalent to Martin #13-14) account for another 30 per cent, while less than one-half of one per cent have pure brown. There is probably no population of equal size in the world which is lighter eyed, and blue eyed, than the Irish. The almost total absence of gray eyes corresponds to the equal paucity of ash-blond hair. Compared to eastern Norway, Sweden, and Finnic and Baltic groups, the eye color is disproportionately light in comparison to hair color. Regional differences, while not great, are of some importance. The ratio of pure blue eyes falls to 33 per cent in Kerry and Clare, and rises to 50 per cent in other regions - Carlow and Wicklow in the southeast, and Armagh, Monaghan, and eastern Cavan in the North. On the whole, the east is lighter eyed than the west, as it is lighter haired. At the same time the Presbyterians are blonder than the Catholics, who are in turn fairer than the members of the Church of Ireland.- Carelton Coon, The Races of Europe, Chapter X, Section 2.

loulou
12-04-2011, 05:41 PM
I have not been to Ireland but I have observed a large groups of Irish tourists in Bulgaria. Most of them have light eyes. So I say around 70%

Do you remember how many they were ? (large means about 50 persons ?)

- Carlton Coon, The Races of Europe, Chapter X, Section 2.

Do you know if there are somewhere in the book where he explains how he found this issue ? (it seems to me too mcuh perfect and coherent with his theory to be trustfully)
And these are 1930s figures so it may have change

Supreme American
12-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Eye color distribution WHERE?

hajduk
12-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Do you remember how many they were ? (large means about 50 persons ?)
About 5000. THe football game Bulgaria-Ireland :D

Morrigan
12-04-2011, 07:40 PM
I've met and more blue-eyed Irish people than brown or green-eyed ones. :shrug:

Raskolnikov
12-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Do you know if there are somewhere in the book where he explains how he found this issue ? (it seems to me too mcuh perfect and coherent with his theory to be trustfully)
And these are 1930s figures so it may have change Which theory? His theories were as a rule awful. But he was never the one collecting data like this.

This is what it said at the end of the chapter:

13. This section is almost entirely based upon the as yet unpublished series of some 10,000 adult Irish males, drawn from all counties, all religious communities, and all social and occupational levels in both Eire and Northern Ireland. This huge and amply documented series was measured by Mr. C. Wesley Dupertuis under the auspices of the Division of Anthropology of Harvard University, and with the close coöperation of both governments in Ireland. The data have been tabulated and seriated in the Harvard Anthropometric Laboratory, under the direction of Professor Earnest A. Hooton. This material will be summarized in the following pages with the express per- mission of the appropriate authorities; its present use is intended in no way to antici- pate the later publication of a detailed report by Professor Hooton and Mr. Dupertuis, which report will contain a careful racial analysis impossible here. Opinions expressed in these pages as to the racial significance of this material are my own, and do not necessarily anticipate the findings of the future authors of the detailed monograph.

Laubach
12-04-2011, 10:41 PM
according to my personal experience, the Irish have one of the highest percentage of light eyes in Europe. Around 80%

About France, I would say is around 50%, not including hazel eyes

Ps: De quelle région de France êtes-vous?

Treffie
12-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Where's Jack B when you need him? :D

Jack B
12-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Most people have light or light mixed eyes but brown and hazel colours aren't uncommon.

Logan
12-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Not been; but would have thought more dark than light, and this more to the West than East. :)

Argyll
12-05-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm of all British descent (Mostly Irish and English*), as are the people from where I come from, and blue eyes are the vast majority. I remember seeing a person with non light coloured eyes as a child and being very creeped out by it, actually.

[EDIT]*Plus Scottish

Francisco D'anconia
12-05-2011, 03:57 PM
I don't understand why some people are morbidly fascinated about the demographic distribution of eye colors, and hair colors. I've meet some Irish people in my time, and dated an Irish american. I've seen plenty with blue eyes, and some with brown.

Still I think people need to stop obsessing over such trivial things.

Argyll
12-05-2011, 03:58 PM
These aren't 'trivial' things. They help define us as a race and people and ethnic group. They are something special to us.

Hess
12-05-2011, 04:04 PM
They help define us as a race and people and ethnic group.

Not really. Hair/Eye Pigmentation is actually one of the last things that real anthropologists look at when determining race.

Argyll
12-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Not really. Hair/Eye Pigmentation is actually one of the last things that real anthropologists look at when determining race.

Well, seeing as how those variations in hair and eye colour are mostly a European thing, it would make sense to define them (the people and who hold them) in which areas and ethnic groups have them.

loulou
12-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Most people have light or light mixed eyes but brown and hazel colours aren't uncommon.

Light mixed means blue/green with some brown or green (which are in fact mixed eyes:D) ?

I don't understand why some people are morbidly fascinated about the demographic distribution of eye colors, and hair colors. I've meet some Irish people in my time, and dated an Irish american. I've seen plenty with blue eyes, and some with brown.

Still I think people need to stop obsessing over such trivial things.

I can assure you that i am not fascinated about the people's eyes color but it is something which is easily visible and a little weird too;)

exceeder
01-30-2012, 02:50 AM
Less then 30% in the city I live in.

I live in Toronto.

'Nuff said.

Pyramidologist
01-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Hooton published a key anthropological study on the Irish including their eye pigmentation - The physical anthropology of Ireland. By Earnest A. Hooton and C. Wesley Dupertuis. With a section on the west coast Irish females. By Helen Dawson. No. 1, Text, pp. xix + 304; No. 2, Tables and Half-tones. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Archeology and Ethnology, Harvard University, Vol. 30, 1955.

According to this study, blue eyes, 42.1%, are the second commonest shade in Ireland. The most common though are ''blue-brown eyes'' or ''Blue-mixed eyes'' (don't have the exact percentage, but i think it's around 50%).

In an earler work (1946) Hooton concludes that the Irish who have ''blue-brown eyes'' have partially depigmentated. As blue eyes mutated from brown, it appears the Irish have an unusual intermediate (partial) mutation which have given them a unique mixed blue colour in majority.

Septentrion
05-03-2013, 02:13 AM
The Irish are fully Nordid in eye color, especially of the blue-eyed variety. According to the Irish journal of medical science published in 1997, blue eyes are indeed the commonest eye color found in 59% and the second commonest is green in 21%. This study alone proves that at least 80% of the Irish have light eyes. Now if we added gray, hazel shades it will cover the entire Irish population. Ireland has one of the highest frequency for blue-eyed people in the world! Others such as Scandinavians, Estonians also have high frequencies of light eyes.

Anglojew
05-03-2013, 03:55 AM
Most of the Irish Australians I know have blue eyes but it might be due to the location of their ancestors. This excludes the dark "black Irish" types.

I'd say 80% have blue/green eyes that I know.

Maleficent
05-03-2013, 04:20 AM
I'd say 70% of the population in Ireland have blue, green, or light mixed eyes

Septentrion
05-07-2020, 05:00 AM
Which theory? His theories were as a rule awful. But he was never the one collecting data like this.

This is what it said at the end of the chapter:

According to anthropologists E. Hooton and W. Dupertuis, in their study of 10,000 Irish males from all over Ireland, there are virtually no pure dark eyes ( medium brown/dark brown/black) in Ireland!

Septentrion
06-02-2020, 04:31 AM
Hooton published a key anthropological study on the Irish including their eye pigmentation - The physical anthropology of Ireland. By Earnest A. Hooton and C. Wesley Dupertuis. With a section on the west coast Irish females. By Helen Dawson. No. 1, Text, pp. xix + 304; No. 2, Tables and Half-tones. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Archeology and Ethnology, Harvard University, Vol. 30, 1955.

According to this study, blue eyes, 42.1%, are the second commonest shade in Ireland. The most common though are ''blue-brown eyes'' or ''Blue-mixed eyes'' (don't have the exact percentage, but i think it's around 50%).

In an earler work (1946) Hooton concludes that the Irish who have ''blue-brown eyes'' have partially depigmentated. As blue eyes mutated from brown, it appears the Irish have an unusual intermediate (partial) mutation which have given them a unique mixed blue colour in majority.

Yes it was overall 42.4% (pure blue), 43.9% (blue - brown), 4.4% (gray/gray-blue) approximately 90.7% light - eyed.