PDA

View Full Version : In Brazil, anyone with blonde hair and blue eyes is called a German. How many Germans are blonde?

New brother
08-16-2023, 11:16 PM
Out turks.

Incal
08-17-2023, 12:18 AM
Here, we call them "gringos".

Voskos
08-17-2023, 12:51 AM
Hahahahahaha. Reverse nazism basically. In nazi Germany: Germans = blondes, now in Brazil blondes = Germans.

looks like we've just discovered the hidden link between nazism and afrocentrism. Kanye West, you utter cuck.

Etelfrido
08-17-2023, 02:17 AM
I've heard that in the Northeast people with blond hair, blue eyes or pale skin are called Galician, probably due to the origin of most Portuguese settlers there.

PaganPoet
08-17-2023, 06:24 AM
When I was very young, I also was German...

New brother
08-17-2023, 06:32 AM
I've heard that in the Northeast people with blond hair, blue eyes or pale skin are called Galician, probably due to the origin of most Portuguese settlers there.

Sim.

crunchy
08-17-2023, 10:01 AM
As far as I remember michael Ballack,mario Gomez are not blonde. In order to find out more you can have a look at german national team in all branch of sports:thumb001:

Mortimer
08-17-2023, 10:06 AM
More than half of them are blonde but not all of them

Blondie
08-17-2023, 10:09 AM

This is not true. Most germans have light brown hair, 20-25% are real blonde.

Mortimer
08-17-2023, 10:13 AM

Many people think that light brown is dark blonde

Richard Alvarez
08-17-2023, 10:16 AM

Which is funny because most Galicians are actually dark-haired and dark-eyed.
They don't look that much different from other Iberians.

Mortimer
08-17-2023, 10:23 AM
Here, we call them "gringos".

In the latest Rambo Sylvester Stallone fights mexican pimps they call him a gringo do you think Sylvester Stallone is really a gringo?

Blondie
08-17-2023, 10:42 AM
Many people think that light brown is dark blonde

No, its not.

Richard Alvarez
08-17-2023, 11:05 AM
In the latest Rambo Sylvester Stallone fights mexican pimps they call him a gringo do you think Sylvester Stallone is really a gringo?

The definition of "gringo" varies with every Latin American country.
In Mexico, only US Americans are called gringos (Their race doesn't matter. Even Black Americans are gringos.) while in countries like Brazil, gringo is used for all foreigners.

Gringo doesn't necessarily mean Nordic or blond. So Sylvester Stallone being American (with Italian roots, but still an American) is called a gringo in Rambo.

Incal
08-17-2023, 11:41 AM

Depends on the context, gringo can also mean US american. So yeah, Sly is a gringo cuz he's a yank. Kanye West is gringo too, as well as chicanos.

New brother
08-17-2023, 02:11 PM
As far as I remember michael Ballack,mario Gomez are not blonde. In order to find out more you can have a look at german national team in all branch of sports:thumb001:
Many foreigners. Most of the descendants I know are, but perhaps because they are of northern German descent.

New brother
08-17-2023, 02:14 PM
And there is a region of Brazil where blondes are called Poles, in that region there are many great-grandchildren of them.

stcatherine
08-17-2023, 04:21 PM
Quite a lot, with slight regional variation but I'd say overall in the range of 50% at the lowest in the south to 70% in the north.
All the Germans I met this summer were strikingly blond, and not the stereotypical straßenköterblond (golden brown like Joshua Kimmich) but very fair shades ranging from gold to platinum.

Rumata
08-17-2023, 04:50 PM
When I was very young, I also was German...

So was I, bro :thumb001:

Septentrion
03-15-2024, 08:33 PM
Out turks.

Firstly you have to understand that Brazil is a former Portuguese colony. The Portuguese are a Southern European people. In Southern Europe, blonde hair is not frequent rather occasional. Even though in the blondest parts of Portugal, as many as 15% are blond-haired. A similar situation happens when it comes to blue eyes, they are not frequent as many 7% to 9% have true blue eyes, in fact light eyes altogether reach a 25% to 30% range. So when Northern or Central European immigrants arrived such as the Germans mainly but also quite a few Austrians and it made the difference between them and the Southern European colonialists and immigrants from Italy. Blonde hair is frequent in Germany as a whole. The blondest districts of Portugal would be about as blond as the darkest regions of Germany. Therefore don't be surprised if any blond-haired and blue-eyed person in such a predominantly brunet country be called a "German".

cass
03-15-2024, 09:54 PM
Firstly you have to understand that Brazil is a former Portuguese colony. The Portuguese are a Southern European people. In Southern Europe, blonde hair is not frequent rather occasional. Even though in the blondest parts of Portugal, as many as 15% are blond-haired. A similar situation happens when it comes to blue eyes, they are not frequent as many 7% to 9% have true blue eyes, in fact light eyes altogether reach a 25% to 30% range. So when Northern or Central European immigrants arrived such as the Germans mainly but also quite a few Austrians and it made the difference between them and the Southern European colonialists and immigrants from Italy. Blonde hair is frequent in Germany as a whole. The blondest districts of Portugal would be about as blond as the darkest regions of Germany. Therefore don't be surprised if any blond-haired and blue-eyed person in such a predominantly brunet country be called a "German".

The point of reference in Brazil is not the Portuguese, but the majority of the population of African origin. A few million Germans and Poles, in the southern states (relatively unmixed) constitute an extreme counterbalance.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Munic%C3%ADpios_do_Brasil_-_Grupos_%C3%A9tnico-raciais_predominantes.png

Septentrion
03-15-2024, 10:39 PM

Yes, you are about right. However, I have my stat for blonde hair in Germany is a little higher than yours.

Septentrion
03-15-2024, 10:50 PM
The point of reference in Brazil is not the Portuguese, but the majority of the population of African origin. A few million Germans and Poles, in the southern states (relatively unmixed) constitute an extreme counterbalance.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Munic%C3%ADpios_do_Brasil_-_Grupos_%C3%A9tnico-raciais_predominantes.png

No. I was referring to the White population of Brazil, whom as a whole are firstly of Portuguese or at least Southern European descent (Italian or Spanish). This also creates a Southern European appearance for a White person there, thus, a blond-haired, blue-eyed, fair-skinned person could nicknamed German or Polish. I don't think the Afro-Brazilian population would care if a White person is blonde or not, as we are all White to them. Additionally, with the fact of the matter that a person is socially classified by their skin colour and race. This means Persons of European descent (Whites) as a whole, fare better socially than those of Afro roots.

Septentrion
03-15-2024, 11:08 PM
Out turks.

Germans belong to the Teutonic group of Northern and Central Europe. Teutonic people are typically blond or light-haired.

Ketchup
03-15-2024, 11:29 PM
Most Germans are definitely blonde.

Token
03-16-2024, 12:53 AM
In Brazil anyone with hair which is medium brown or lighter is considered blonde, hence most Germans are indeed blonds by Brazilian standards.

masoebu
03-16-2024, 02:48 AM
"blonde hair blue eyes" is a meme in European diaspora: seems to be United States and Brazil for the most part. Such people are a minority even in Northern Europe. The most common combo is actually brown hair and blue eyes, rosy white skin.

What people perceive as Northern European is actually the shape of the face and the general skin tone rather than pigment of the eyes or hair.

Generalissimo
03-29-2024, 05:00 PM

The term russian is also used in the same sense, at least in São Sebastião do Rio de Janeiro. Miguel Falabella playing a carioca malandro who speaks with a lot of slangs uses the term in this scene (2:20 min) when joking that the expected child of an ex-lover would possibly be born "russian" (born with light features) like him:

https://youtu.be/poKQWvlDZaI?t=140

Septentrion
08-18-2024, 04:10 AM
Out turks.

This is due to the contrast between North-Central Europeans and Southern Europeans. In a population, where the average White person is of Southern European descent (Generally medium to olive skin tone, brown-eyed, brown-haired frequently black-haired), there came a time where a large migration from Germany but also other non-Southern European took place. Germans in contrast to Southern Euros have a very good frequency of blonde hair (30% as a whole), in the northern part of Germany the frequency of blonde hair is among the blondest in Europe (top 12). Thus it is normal that Germans became the synonym of blonde hair and blue eyes in Brazil. Nevertheless, in Northern European populations, Germans are not the synonym of blondeness.

Septentrion
08-18-2024, 04:25 AM

Not more than half! Far from there. Although in the northern parts, it is almost half.

Valenman
08-18-2024, 05:41 AM
From my own experience, the majority of Germans do follow the stereotype.

Marco1900
08-18-2024, 11:14 AM
for many years I have known a large family of Germans from Bavaria who come here during the summer, they are all male and almost all of them are blonde, also they look different from the blondes of southern Europe

Jingle Bell
08-18-2024, 12:39 PM
Bcs Brazil is a pred Black/Dark Brown hair country, so the first thing that ppl think when they see a rly blonde fella is think he is "Gringo" or "Alemão", in Northeast they are called "Galegos".

Damião de Góis
08-18-2024, 02:14 PM
No. I was referring to the White population of Brazil, whom as a whole are firstly of Portuguese or at least Southern European descent (Italian or Spanish). This also creates a Southern European appearance for a White person there, thus, a blond-haired, blue-eyed, fair-skinned person could nicknamed German or Polish. I don't think the Afro-Brazilian population would care if a White person is blonde or not, as we are all White to them. Additionally, with the fact of the matter that a person is socially classified by their skin colour and race. This means Persons of European descent (Whites) as a whole, fare better socially than those of Afro roots.

That would mean blonde people in Portugal or in southern europe in general would also be called "German", yet this is not the case.