PDA

View Full Version : As a whole, do Swiss people look closer to Swedes or Spaniards?

Tooting Carmen
09-15-2023, 12:30 AM
While Austrians certainly look closer to Swedes than Spaniards, I am not sure if the Swiss necessarily do too. After all, around 36% of Swiss people are native speakers of French or, much more rarely, Italian or Romansch, and even the German Swiss seem to be less blonde than Austrians.

Oliver109
09-15-2023, 12:34 AM
Are Swiss not generally blonder on average than French? talking about Switzerland i have a trip to Geneva coming up so will expand on this later in the thread but i would imagine the Swiss are more similar to Bavarians, probably look more like the darker Swedes than Spanish i think.

Tooting Carmen
09-15-2023, 12:37 AM
Are Swiss not generally blonder on average than French?

Yes, but I wouldn't say the difference is that drastic, and French people certainly look closer to Spaniards than to Swedes. (Even though, like I said in another thread, the difference between French people and Spaniards is still fairly marked relative to the fact they are neighbouring European countries).

Oliver109
09-15-2023, 12:40 AM
Yes, but I wouldn't say the difference is that drastic, and French people certainly look closer to Spaniards than to Swedes. (Even though, like I said in another thread, the difference between French people and Spaniards is still fairly marked relative to the fact they are neighbouring European countries).

I think the Swiss look more like the north eastern French but with some German influence, i don't think they are as CM as Germans but i would say that the French are inbetween Swedes and Spaniards, native people from Paris probably resemble brunet Swedes more than they resemble typical Spaniards. Metrically the alpine French are more similar to Borrebies.

Tooting Carmen
09-15-2023, 12:42 AM
I think the Swiss look more like the north eastern French but with some German influence, i don't think they are as CM as Germans but i would say that the French are inbetween Swedes and Spaniards, native people from Paris probably resemble brunet Swedes more than they resemble typical Spaniards. Metrically the alpine French are more similar to Borrebies.

Even the Northern French can have some strikingly dark Meddish types that would look odd for Britain, never mind Sweden. And I do mean Francais de souche, not Jewish, Iberian or Italian descendants. Case in point:
https://resize-elle.ladmedia.fr/rcrop/1098,768/img/var/plain_site/storage/images/people/la-vie-des-people/news/francois-hollande-et-julie-gayet-pourquoi-thomas-hollande-n-etait-pas-au-mariage-de-son-pere-4028916/96899553-1-fre-FR/Francois-Hollande-et-Julie-Gayet-pourquoi-Thomas-Hollande-n-etait-pas-au-mariage-de-son-pere.jpg

Oliver109
09-15-2023, 12:44 AM
Even the Northern French can have some strikingly dark Meddish types that would look odd for Britain, never mind Sweden. And I do mean Francais de souche, not Jewish, Iberian or Italian descendants. Case in point:
https://resize-elle.ladmedia.fr/rcrop/1098,768/img/var/plain_site/storage/images/people/la-vie-des-people/news/francois-hollande-et-julie-gayet-pourquoi-thomas-hollande-n-etait-pas-au-mariage-de-son-pere-4028916/96899553-1-fre-FR/Francois-Hollande-et-Julie-Gayet-pourquoi-Thomas-Hollande-n-etait-pas-au-mariage-de-son-pere.jpg

Going by Flashballs excellent threads i would say that about 40% of northern French look more Spanish than Swedish

Sacrificed Ram
09-15-2023, 12:45 AM
Swendes. Even my northern italian surname is an italianized scandinavian word, many northern italian surnames and toponyms are of scandinavian source, from times of lombardian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lombards) domain, even after Frankish domain in that area. If it occurs in northern Italy, must be more accentuated in Swiss.

Tooting Carmen
09-15-2023, 12:45 AM
Going by Flashballs excellent threads i would say that about 40% of northern French look more Spanish than Swedish

Well precisely, so imagine Central and Southern France then.

Oliver109
09-15-2023, 12:55 AM
Well precisely, so imagine Central and Southern France then.

It wouldn't be dramatically different, remember that the alpines of that part of France are quite unspanish in their dimensions, only gracile meds and the rare berids will pass easily in Spain.

Oliver109
09-15-2023, 12:56 AM
Indeed remembering the threads of army recruits a lot didn't really look at all Spanish

Tooting Carmen
09-15-2023, 12:58 AM
It wouldn't be dramatically different, remember that the alpines of that part of France are quite unspanish in their dimensions, only gracile meds and the rare berids will pass easily in Spain.

It's the other way round: most Francais de souche could to varying degrees of ease pass in Spain, except perhaps for the Nordish minority like Jules Plisson and Clement Chantome, whereas a good 20-30% of Spaniards would be quite atypical or even downright exotic for France.

Barba
09-15-2023, 05:36 PM
None. They are too foreign looking for both countries.