PDA

View Full Version : Village overridden on potholes

Skandi
04-16-2009, 10:49 PM
We had this same argument, but that was a dirt track to a carpark, there the potholes won, over no potholes and speed ramps, after all a pothole is only an inverted ramp.

The parish council in Navestock, southeast England, said holes in the roads acted as a "natural traffic calming" feature, and ignored any repairs that needed doing.

But Essex County Council, which is responsible for maintaining roads in the area, rejected the view and said it would be filling in the village's potholes "as soon as possible."

"This is an interesting idea from Navestock Parish Council," said Norman Hume, the Essex council's transport and highways chief.

"However, the vast majority of Essex residents want to travel on safer, smoother roads which is why it is the policy of Essex County Council to fill all potholes as soon as is practical."

The parish council had argued that filling in pot holes made it easier for drivers to speed through the village.more (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090416/tod-british-village-overridden-on-pothol-6058bda.html)

Solwyn
04-16-2009, 11:07 PM
You can build an underground house in the potholes that exist on Winnipeg's streets. They're a sticking point that gets even the most tranquil of Zen Buddhists all riled up ever spring. The severity of them here is a consequence of arctic temperatures in winter, I am told.

However, I've never seen them slow down the street racers or any other speed demons that exist and the prairies are full of them!!! I swear the worst drivers in Canada all live in Manitoba and Stats Canada agrees with me. Of course, when it's flatter that a dog's arse in a ditch and you drive at light speed, you're probably just sailing right over the potholes:D

SwordoftheVistula
04-17-2009, 05:48 AM
Yeah, I need an SUV just to drive over the damn potholes in my town.

This just shows the absurdity of building speed bumps, why purposely make the road worse?

Sigurd
04-17-2009, 09:08 AM
At least they're pragmatic. The potholes are already there and don't need to be funded from taxpayer's money. Got to love countryside thinking! :D:thumb001: