PDA

View Full Version : Serbia adopts law to revoke WWII personal responsibility

European blood
12-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Serbia adopted on Monday a law clearing many former fighters against World War II allied forces of criminal responsibility, enabling their heirs to claim property seized by the post-war communist regime.

The law will notably benefit ethnic Hungarians and Germans from the northern Serbian province of Vojvodina, who were recruited by pro-Nazi Hungarian and German occupying forces between 1941 and 1944.

The so-called law on rehabilitation only excludes those found guilty of war crimes committed while serving with pro-Nazi forces or Serbia's monarchist movement opposing the communist partisans during the war from rehabilitation and restitution, Tanjug news agency reported.

http://www.expatica.com/de/news/german-news/serbia-adopts-law-to-revoke-wwii-personal-responsibility_193402.html

Supreme American
12-06-2011, 08:28 PM
This would actually apply to my relatives, not that I know of any living than the small cluster on my mother's side that made it out. Several hundred thousand ethnic Germans were cleared out of Vojvodina alone, and their homes given to Serbs, etc. I can't imagine how all those people can claim property. I would assume their descendants are not allowed to claim anything. Further, such as the case with my own relatives, they fled in a rather hurried manner, only taking with them what they could basically carry, so how could they prove ownership of anything?