PDA

View Full Version : Why do people think that northern Spaniards are much lighter than southern Spaniards?

Oliver109
10-30-2023, 01:10 PM
i think when one looks at a map of Spain there is little to suggest that the north of the country is much closer to the rest of Europe than the south, Galicia is arguably as remote from France as Murcia, one shouldn't expect it to be more nordic or even alpine. No one expects the northern Irish to be much lighter than the southern Irish or the northern Czechs to be much lighter than the southern Czechs or even the northern Danish to be much lighter than the southern Danish so in Spain i don't think it ought to be surprising that the north isn't really lighter than the south.

Valenman
10-30-2023, 10:04 PM
i think when one looks at a map of Spain there is little to suggest that the north of the country is much closer to the rest of Europe than the south, Galicia is arguably as remote from France as Murcia, one shouldn't expect it to be more nordic or even alpine. No one expects the northern Irish to be much lighter than the southern Irish or the northern Czechs to be much lighter than the southern Czechs or even the northern Danish to be much lighter than the southern Danish so in Spain i don't think it ought to be surprising that the north isn't really lighter than the south.
No, Galicia is Anecdotal, studies from the 19th-20th century make it clear that Galicia, like most of the north-west of Spain, is not lighter than the rest, but For example, Zamora and Ourense are the darkest provinces after the Canary Islands. In fact, the majority of dark Spanish cherrypicks are precisely from this area, not from Andalusia. Although I am not going to be Gallop, obviously Andalusians are also not the lightest in Spain but it is probably more than Galicia and a few more north-western provinces.Although I also have to say that even so, the phenotypic difference in Spain is not as big as in France or Italy.