PDA

View Full Version : From Buddha to Jesus (the journey of Susan Lim)

Loki
11-18-2023, 09:26 PM
https://youtu.be/NlnHEcfX2hU?si=Qp_Cfh2uurLJ5jr6

Aila
11-19-2023, 01:16 AM
Buddhism vs Christianity

Listening to her speak about her ‘Buddhism’ reminded me of a Japanese girlfriend of mine who is a historical, generational, cultural Buddhist, but in reality, it really doesn’t mean anything deeper than that whatsoever, it is in name only.
Just like our ‘Lutheranism’ and what ‘cultural Tengrism’ seems like.

Shouldn’t this video be in the Christianity section Loki, as it seems it is not about Buddhism per se, but evangelism about why Buddhism is ‘wrong’ and Christianity is ‘right’.

I made no secret that my ‘religion’ is the Axis Mundi, which in its core is the essence of Nonduality which is All Pervasive, All Accommodating state of ‘Neutral Spatial Awareness’ one perhaps could say.

“To know is not to know” is a Zen Buddhist saying which understands the paradox of the 2 truths -the absolute and the relative. Trinity makes everything workable.
The Trinity in Christian theology is God.

Christianity: Father, Holy Ghost & Son as ‘One’.
Shamanism: Totality, Energy and Individual manifestation as ‘One’.
Buddhism: Dharmakaya, Sambhogakaya & Nirmanakaya as ‘One’.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnTC4NNIACk&ab_channel=ScienceandNonduality

Hope you do not delete my post Loki, but of course you can always ban me …
Still, imo. the best one can do is to create space in the mind for questioning.

Loki
11-19-2023, 02:06 AM
Hope you do not delete my post Loki, but of course you can always ban me …
Still, imo. the best one can do is to create space in the mind for questioning.

No need for that, I think this woman's testimony is powerful and authentic enough to withstand your criticism below it. :)

I am still praying for you, that Jesus would give you a revelation about who he really is, and that you are currently on the wrong path.

Aila
11-19-2023, 10:40 AM
No need for that, I think this woman's testimony is powerful and authentic enough to withstand your criticism below it. :)

I am still praying for you, that Jesus would give you a revelation about who he really is, and that you are currently on the wrong path.

I thought that yours was the “My way or the highway” Loki. The Church of Deliverance or the highway ….

I really cannot see why both traditions; - Buddhism and Christianity could not be respected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZS9bvxVp6Y&ab_channel=TseringDorji

Or why both could not be observed with a discerning eye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evGOSDyfH7s&ab_channel=ScienceandNonduality

Loki
11-19-2023, 03:32 PM
I thought that yours was the “My way or the highway” Loki. The Church of Deliverance or the highway ….

Not my way...but God's way. That's the main difference between the Christian faith and all other religions. Only the Christian faith is of God, and God's way for salvation.
EDIT: I understand now what you meant by that. But no, I'm not intolerable, especially since I don't want people to be lost. Patience, grace and mercy are Christian virtues. Jesus loves you and therefore I should give you a fair chance.

I really cannot see why both traditions; - Buddhism and Christianity could not be respected:

I can see why...clearly.... because only one leads to Life. The other to eternal damnation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnmUbPouvHk?si=iVB6Iyq_u5LODaRn

HectorOfTroy
11-19-2023, 03:46 PM
[B]my ‘religion’ is the Axis Mundi, which in its core is the essence of Nonduality which is All Pervasive, All Accommodating state of ‘Neutral Spatial Awareness’ one perhaps could say.

“To know is not to know” is a Zen Buddhist saying which understands the paradox of the 2 truths -the absolute and the relative. Trinity makes everything workable.
The Trinity in Christian theology is God.

Christianity: Father, Holy Ghost & Son as ‘One’.
Shamanism: Totality, Energy and Individual manifestation as ‘One’.
Buddhism: Dharmakaya, Sambhogakaya & Nirmanakaya as ‘One’.

Trinitarianism doesn't mean non-duality. Because Jesus (God the son) and God the father being one/the same only applies to Jesus only and not to the rest of humanity/creation, from most outsider's perspectives, outsiders of the Christian faith will see Jesus as an 'enlightened individual' and that his references to being one with God is metaphorical and not literal, or that because they think that Jesus was merely human that that means it must also apply to us because we're merely human, but Jesus is not merely human and he has always been God, not that he received oneness with God later in his life. He was never created either, we were.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

"He was in the world, and the world came into being through Him, and the world did not know Him." John 1:10

"Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am."" John 8:58

"“We are not stoning You for any good work,” said the Jews, “but for blasphemy, because You, who are a man, declare Yourself to be God.”" John 10:33

"and he fell on his face at His feet, giving thanks to Him. And he was a Samaritan. And Jesus, having answered, said, "Were not the ten cleansed? But where are the nine? Was there found none having returned to give glory to God, except this foreigner?"" Luke 17:16-18

“Behold, I am coming soon, and My reward is with Me, to give to each one according to what he has done. 13I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.”" Revelation 22:13

"Keep watch over yourselves and the entire flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which He purchased with His own blood." Acts 20:28

Then Jesus said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and look at My hands. Reach out your hand and put it into My side. Stop doubting and believe.” 28Thomas replied, “My Lord and my God!” John 20:27-28

Jesus distinguishes himself as being separate from Abraham because there was a point when Abraham was not (because he's a created being) but Jesus has always been (as only God has always been and Jesus is God), Jesus is outside creation, unlike Abraham/us humans. The Trinity is not a metaphor for humans receiving oneness with God, but it is the literal oneness of Father, Holy Spirit and Jesus because they are literally one/same being, it's a term that is only applied to the members of the Trinity/God.
https://i.ibb.co/K5S2fzW/trinity.png

Loki
11-19-2023, 05:04 PM
https://i.ibb.co/K5S2fzW/trinity.png

That's a good illustration of how we perceive a higher dimensional God -- we cannot completely because he is on another level altogether.

Victor
11-19-2023, 05:13 PM
That's a good illustration of how we perceive a higher dimensional God -- we cannot completely because he is on another level altogether.

God is not limited by time and space, he's everywhere, even in hell.

Our personal perception varies to the complete absence of God in our life, to such as in the picture and up to the most full connection with God as the saints have.

Loki
11-19-2023, 05:20 PM
God is not limited by time and space, he's everywhere, even in hell.

Our personal perception varies to the complete absence of God in our life, to such as in the picture and up to the most full connection with God as the saints have.

Yes, I was specifically referring to the doctrine of the Trinity.

Victor
11-19-2023, 05:24 PM
Yes, I was specifically referring to the doctrine of the Trinity.

I prefer the metaphora of sun made by Orthodox Holy fathers. Sun is Father, while light and warmth are Son and Holy Spirit and they're the One. From the Sun warmth and light come, like in our Creed of Faith, Son and Spirit come from the Father.

Aila
11-19-2023, 07:40 PM
Well, well, well … Here I would have to agree with Victor.

To add another sketch into the mix … which according to the artist embodies unity, interconnectedness & spiritual enlightenment....

Attempting to express Nonduality, I would paint the triangle with the (Central) Sun in the middle point (to illustrate the dawning of the ‘inner’ light/vision - but the All-Seeing-Eye works just as well.

Here the Cross is depicted at the centrepoint – where (when Christ enters into our awareness) - we get “checkmated” by that Trinity – so to speak:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS05g_uQeDgV_D3NYcav5y0Xrd73QoLD l1e1Q&usqp=CAU

Aila
11-19-2023, 09:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnmUbPouvHk?si=iVB6Iyq_u5LODaRn

Haven’t seen a Buddhist go into psychosis like that, but I did have a workmate, who wanting to have a union with God started to feverously read the Bible 24/7 and thus stopped sleeping.

Went to visit her in the mental care facility, where she had painted her face into a grotesque mask and where she also wore very bright colors to ‘keep the demons away” …

Loki
11-19-2023, 10:04 PM
Well, well, well … Here I would have to agree with Victor.

To add another sketch into the mix … which according to the artist embodies unity, interconnectedness & spiritual enlightenment....

Attempting to express Nonduality, I would paint the triangle with the (Central) Sun in the middle point (to illustrate the dawning of the ‘inner’ light/vision - but the All-Seeing-Eye works just as well.

Here the Cross is depicted at the centrepoint – where (when Christ enters into our awareness) - we get “checkmated” by that Trinity – so to speak:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS05g_uQeDgV_D3NYcav5y0Xrd73QoLD l1e1Q&usqp=CAU

You believe in Jesus, then? You believe in his Gospel?

Loki
11-19-2023, 10:05 PM
Haven’t seen a Buddhist go into psychosis like that, but I did have a workmate, who wanting to have a union with God started to feverously read the Bible 24/7 and thus stopped sleeping.

Went to visit her in the mental care facility, where she had painted her face into a grotesque mask and where she also wore very bright colors to ‘keep the demons away” …

Well it's easy to make up a story like that. It doesn't bring anything to the debate.

catgeorge
11-20-2023, 12:30 AM
Then he told me, “Do not seal up the words of prophecy in this book, because the time is near. 11Let the unrighteous continue to be unrighteous, and the vile continue to be vile; let the righteous continue to practice righteousness, and the holy continue to be holy.”

12“Behold, I am coming soon, and My reward is with Me, to give to each one according to what he has done. 13I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.”

14Blessed are those who wash their robes,c so that they may have the right to the tree of life and may enter the city by its gates. 15But outside are the dogs, the sorcerers, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

Aila
11-20-2023, 02:42 AM
Well it's easy to make up a story like that. It doesn't bring anything to the debate.

No. That was not a made-up story Loki.
I did become concerned, when she – at work, during the lunch break told me that she had not slept all night (a few nights?), because she had been reading the Bible, seeking union with God.
That she was reading the Bible didn’t worry me, only her obsessive-compulsive mental fixation …

It is so many years ago now, I can’t remember what I told her exactly, but I told her something like now that she had made the intent, prayed/wished for the communion, it is time to SURRENDER, LET GO and LET GOD.
She couldn’t do it but ….

Since I only worked there casually – the next time I went to work, others told me that she had been taken to the mental hospital, where I then visited her.
Apparently, it was not the first time she had had a psychotic episode.

Another person like that was doing TM-meditation and then had a mental freakout, imagining the flames of hell after him.
A kind of sun gazer psychosis.
One can, in good will throw in an image of the Sun that shines on everyone and everything equally – it is a good metaphor ….. but for an unbalanced mind anything can become a trigger really …

Maybe it is bi-polar, I don’t know … the mind just gets stuck …

Buddhism talks about enlightenment and studies the mind. Mind as a function however is mechanical and can only think in dualities.
The idea is not to make the mind enlightened, but to go ‘beyond the mind’, which is simple awareness really ….

About Buddhist meditation and panic attacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukTaodQfYRQ&ab_channel=YongeyMingyurRinpoche

Loki
11-20-2023, 01:39 PM
No. That was not a made-up story Loki.
I did become concerned, when she – at work, during the lunch break told me that she had not slept all night (a few nights?), because she had been reading the Bible, seeking union with God.
That she was reading the Bible didn’t worry me, only her obsessive-compulsive mental fixation …

It is so many years ago now, I can’t remember what I told her exactly, but I told her something like now that she had made the intent, prayed/wished for the communion, it is time to SURRENDER, LET GO and LET GOD.
She couldn’t do it but ….

Since I only worked there casually – the next time I went to work, others told me that she had been taken to the mental hospital, where I then visited her.
Apparently, it was not the first time she had had a psychotic episode.

I don't believe you, you're making this up. It's a weak attempt at slandering the Word of God, that could save your soul. Your story doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I don't have hard evidence of it, of course, but I think you are lying in order to promote the failing reputation of your Buddhist false religion.

Aila
11-20-2023, 11:30 PM
I don't believe you, you're making this up. It's a weak attempt at slandering the Word of God, that could save your soul. Your story doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I don't have hard evidence of it, of course, but I think you are lying in order to promote the failing reputation of your Buddhist false religion.

I don’t believe in beliefs Loki.

Obsessive-compulsive mental fixation is not about the Word of God, Buddhism or whatever …. it is the mind trying to become it or possess it (or whatever it is, I am not a mental health expert) – but mind cannot, because mind is just an interpreter of reality – not Reality itself.

(Although I think (not sure though) that in Theravāda Buddhism the word “mind” is also used to mean “awareness”.
I would separate the 2 words however for clarification, because there is an awake quality, awareness in us that can observe the mind and its workings objectively).

The Buddhist teacher I followed said something like … that … there is no such thing as “Buddhism”. Ultimately Buddhism doesn’t exist, because Reality doesn’t have any subtle concepts in it. Reality is straight up, if it rains, it rains, rain is not a belief or any kind of “ism”.

Children play the ‘don’t step in the lava’ game, but it seems in OCD this mind game is played still in adulthood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY8pv_WDLWk&ab_channel=bethluvshawaii

It is not that the Bible, Buddhism or Yoga are dangerous, it is the mind-games we can develop or create from our beliefs.

The more we focus on being securely saved from demons, the more strength or weight we give to the demons of and in our minds.
That is how the dual mind works, functions.

To surrender our minds. Trusting in letting go and letting God sort the whole thing out for us is important:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXoIYVn2DKg&ab_channel=AnandMehrotra

Loki
11-21-2023, 03:48 AM
I don’t believe in beliefs Loki.

Obsessive-compulsive mental fixation is not about the Word of God, Buddhism or whatever …. it is the mind trying to become it or possess it (or whatever it is, I am not a mental health expert) – but mind cannot, because mind is just an interpreter of reality – not Reality itself.

(Although I think (not sure though) that in Theravāda Buddhism the word “mind” is also used to mean “awareness”.
I would separate the 2 words however for clarification, because there is an awake quality, awareness in us that can observe the mind and its workings objectively).

The Buddhist teacher I followed said something like … that … there is no such thing as “Buddhism”. Ultimately Buddhism doesn’t exist, because Reality doesn’t have any subtle concepts in it. Reality is straight up, if it rains, it rains, rain is not a belief or any kind of “ism”.

Children play the ‘don’t step in the lava’ game, but it seems in OCD this mind game is played still in adulthood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY8pv_WDLWk&ab_channel=bethluvshawaii

It is not that the Bible, Buddhism or Yoga are dangerous, it is the mind-games we can develop or create from our beliefs.

The more we focus on being securely saved from demons, the more strength or weight we give to the demons of and in our minds.
That is how the dual mind works, functions.

To surrender our minds. Trusting in letting go and letting God sort the whole thing out for us is important:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXoIYVn2DKg&ab_channel=AnandMehrotra

Yeah, your mind tricks are not going to be very useful on that day when you will stand before Jesus Christ.

Aila
11-23-2023, 02:16 AM
Through participation in this thread, I discovered another favorite priest.

It becomes rather obvious, he has studied Buddhism and done Buddhist meditational practices when you listen to him. In other words, he has used mindfulness, contemplation as a tool to observe his own mind and its patterns.

He said something like that your True Self is a prayer, when you live in conscious union with God.
Staying present to Presence.
There is no Presence if we do not learn to be present.

My own note here is that if we indeed stay present to the Presence the mind chatter naturally starts to quiet down into stillness the more we let go into that Presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TGS-JD80nE&ab_channel=EyalFriedman1974