PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Balts

Loki
04-17-2009, 07:27 PM
What is so great about Baltic countries &/or Balts? What is there about the Baltic states in 2009 to admire & should be emulated by other countries? Are Balts European peoples or a Europid/Tatar/Middle Eastern mongrel race? Is there anything about the Baltic or Balts to like? What are the contribution of Balts to the greater civilization of mankind?

Hors
04-17-2009, 07:31 PM
My thread :D

What are the contribution of Balts to the greater civilization of mankind?

Beorn
04-17-2009, 07:36 PM
They oppress my nation, have visible mongoloid traits, blah, blah, http://www.thephora.net/forum/images/smilies/stan.gif

My only experience with Baltic people are the Latvians who swamped the Channel Islands in the early noughties and I found them to be relatively polite and well mannered.

The men were terrible at speaking English and were lazy beyond belief.
They couldn't handle their drinks properly and were often at the centre of most fights with the locals and Brits.

The women on the other hand were very, very welcoming. :thumb001:

Vargtand
04-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Well honestly they have this rep here for coming over and stealing our rental cars.. :P but in all seriousness...
I don't dislike the Baltic nations, have friends from Estonia, to be fair that country is probably closest to my heart out of the three Baltic nations. I of course see them even if we disregard some phony counterfeited documents of little historical value or importance :P them as part of Sweden’s greater dominions.. so sue me..:P

Apart from that we don’t hear about them much so in honesty I don’t have much of an opinion about them :)

But apart from that they are a great buffer-zone towards Russia :P

RoyBatty
04-17-2009, 07:41 PM
What are the contribution of Balts to the greater civilization of mankind?

Supplying actors to play the roles of Americans in Soviet era action / war movies. :D

Hors
04-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Supplying actors to play the roles of Americans in Soviet era action / war movies. :D

For a reason, it were always pretty swarthy characters. :)

http://s48.radikal.ru/i120/0902/17/7e15af94169e.jpg

Arnis Lizitis. Official CIA Latvian :D

Psychonaut
04-17-2009, 08:20 PM
I've never met a Balt, nor an American of Baltic ancestry in real life, so I don't really have much of an opinion.

Äike
04-17-2009, 08:31 PM
I have no opinion on the Balts or Baltic countries. I don't know any Latvians and Lithuanians. I know a bit about their countries, but I have no opinion on the Balts. The 20th century history is quite similar with Estonia.

In the Estonian freedom war, 1918-1920. We did liberate Latvia from the Baltic Germans and the Russians. So we have a bit of common history.

Latvia and Estonia were a bit similar in the middle ages also.

Äike
04-17-2009, 08:33 PM

that was an Estonian invention, not an invention by the Balts:)

Loki
04-17-2009, 08:36 PM
I have no opinion on the Balts or Baltic countries. I don't know any Latvians and Lithuanians. I know a bit about their countries, but I have no opinion on the Balts. The 20th century history is a bit similar with Estonia.

In the Estonian freedom war, 1918-1920. We did liberate Latvia from the Baltic Germans and the Russians. So we have a bit of common history.

Latvia and Estonia were a bit similar in the middle ages also.

Interesting ... you don't regard Estonia as a Baltic country? :)

Æmeric
04-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Culturally the Balts, along with Finns, have much more in common with Germanics then other Europeans, excepting the Celts on the fringe of the British Isles. Like the Celts they have had interactions with the Germanic peoples for a thousand years. This is reflective in the traditional Lutheran heritage of the Estonians & Latvians or the Catholicism of the Lithuanians. The few Lithuanians & Latvians I have met were from families that fled the Red Army after WWII. Decent folk. Has anyone ever heard of a Latvian mafia? And since they are so few in number they are not a threat to anyone, unlike some other unpleasant nationalitites.

Äike
04-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Interesting ... you don't regard Estonia as a Baltic country? :)

No I don't. We are only geographically a Baltic country. I don't know any Latvians and I go to Latvia rarely. But I know at least 50 Finns and have gone to Finland many times. Same goes for Sweden, but I don't have so many Swede friends:) Estonians consider themselves as a Nordic country. Estonia has more cultural ties with Nordic countries(especially Sweden and Finland), then Latvia and Lithuania.

The Balts or Baltic peoples (People who live by the Baltic Sea), defined as speakers of one of the Baltic languages, a branch of the Indo-European language family, are descended from a group of Indo-European tribes who settled the area between lower Vistula and upper Daugava and Dnieper rivers on the southeast shore of the Baltic Sea.

Gradually the non-Baltic Estonian was excluded from the linguistic meaning of Baltic and Old Prussian — long recognized as close to Lithuanian and Latvian — was added. Estonia remained, however, among the Baltic states in the old geopolitical sense only, as Estonian and a now rare Finnic language in Latvia, Livonian, are not among the Baltic language group.

An important element in Estonia's post-independence reorientation has been closer ties with the Nordic countries, especially Finland and Sweden. Indeed, Estonians consider themselves a Nordic people rather than Balts, based on their historical ties with Sweden, Denmark and particularly Finland. In December 1999 Estonian foreign minister (and since 2006, president of Estonia) Toomas Hendrik Ilves delivered a speech entitled "Estonia as a Nordic Country" to the Swedish Institute for International Affairs. In 2003, the foreign ministry also hosted an exhibit called "Estonia: Nordic with a Twist".[85] And in 2005, Estonia joined the European Union's Nordic Battle Group. It has also shown continued interest in joining the Nordic Council.

Rudy
04-17-2009, 08:48 PM
I view the Latvians and Lithuanians to be a mix of Type N Baltic and R1a Slavic, with lesser amounts of R1b Celtic and type I Nordic. I view the Finns and Estonians to be more pure blooded N Baltic and I Nordic.
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll373/berthold_2008/YHaplo.gif

Bloodeagle
04-17-2009, 08:56 PM
I must admit that I am very ignorant about the Baltic states.
I do know that Lithuanian is the oldest existing Indo-European language.

Do the various Baltic peoples get along with one another?
Are they all similar yet different cultures?

Äike
04-17-2009, 08:59 PM
I view the Latvians and Lithuanians to be a mix of Type N Baltic and R1a Slavic, with lesser amounts of R1b Celtic and type I Nordic. I view the Finns and Estonians to be more pure blooded N Baltic and I Nordic.
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll373/berthold_2008/YHaplo.gif

The majority of Latvians are genetically Livonian and Estonian. I would say that about 1/4 are pure Latgals.

Electronic God-Man
04-17-2009, 09:36 PM
I am partly Baltic and partly part of the reason people have such a low opinion of my great-grandparents' country.

Every time I do something people invariably say "What the hell is wrong with that mongoloid Balt!"

I also have this natural talent, and I am unsure of whether it reflects positively or negatively on my Baltic ancestry:

YGnuXZs_5XE

(I'm hoping that is actually a Lithuanian and not a Russian. I can't speak either language.) Edit: He said "labas" he is Lithuanian.

Birka
04-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Well, being half Lithuanian, you probably could guess how I voted. I think that it is a sign of great self reliance and resiliency that little Lithuania has been able to keep their language and culture all these centuries. Like any other European people, they have been invaded, (and invaders) by Vikings, and later Swedes, Tatars, Cossacks, Germans and Russians, and still have their little country all to their own. Now if they could just resist the Muslims that seem to be infecting the rest of Europe, like I read all about here.

Brynhild
04-17-2009, 10:09 PM
My opinion is pretty much neutral. I've only ever met two Balts in my life - one of them was from my school days and she was bitch. That, however, was her personally, not because she was a Balt.

Atlas
04-18-2009, 12:05 AM
I really don't know, my first opinion would be that they are a great people living between Russia and Western Europe but still... I have never met someone from the baltic area. Bet they are better than arabs or blacks. :)

Brynhild
04-18-2009, 12:19 AM
I think I will pass around a bowl of this:
http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/p/pl/plattmunk/412384_bowl_of_popcorn.jpg

While watching this:
http://www.consumer-news.com/magazine/Soap-Opera-Digest.jpg

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.

The Lawspeaker
04-18-2009, 12:36 AM
I have a great deal of respect for the Balts as they seem to be still closely linked to ancient traditions that might closely resemble our own ancient Germanic traditions. Just take a closer look at Baltic folklore for instance. It somehow resembles the traditions that once existed in Germanic Europe too.

Also when it comes to modernity they are certainly not doing bad. Economic growth, e-infrastructure but also growing care for the environment are what is now happening in the Baltic.
Latvia seems to score high when it comes to alternative energy, Estonia is one of the most wired nations in Europe and stands 4 out of some 160 nations when it comes to freedom of press.
Lithuania is slightly more obscure to me. When it comes to the Balts I have only met a couple of them (1 Lithuanian and 2 Latvians so far- these are only the ones I have seen face to face for real). They seemed nice, easy going people.

Groenewolf
04-18-2009, 06:26 AM
The only Balts I know post here. But about the countries because of my lack of knowledge my opion of them is neutral.

Treffie
04-18-2009, 07:19 AM
I must admit that I am very ignorant about the Baltic states.
I do know that Lithuanian is the oldest existing Indo-European language.

I thought that was Greek? :confused:

RoyBatty
04-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Like any other European people, they have been invaded, (and invaders) by Vikings, and later Swedes, Tatars, Cossacks, Germans and Russians, and still have their little country all to their own. Now if they could just resist the Muslims that seem to be infecting the rest of Europe, like I read all about here.

My opinion (I could be wrong) is that the EU is a smokescreen designed to destroy the nation states located on European territory. The idea is to "multi-kulti" the territory, presumably to turn it into a type of EUSA or more likely, a EUSSR ruled by Central Committee.

The more I see of the "EU" the less I like it. I'm pro-European, good relations, trade, movement, cooperation etc but the EU's agenda seems to go a lot further. That's why joining it is a mistake imo. Sure on the surface there are benefits of being integrated into economic structures, being able to move around in the block, defensive agreements and so forth but all this comes at a price.

That price is the loss of sovereignty and submission to Brussels and everything that it entails. Once a nation loses control over their country / territory it is going to be pretty difficult to get it back, particularly against organised and powerful forces.

There probably isn't a day which goes by that I don't think about the irony of Eastern European countries rushing to join the EU / NATO (in order to ward of Russia) yet they don't appear to see or care about the consequences of those decisions. For now those countries are still reasonably white. People from there happily keep repeating how it will stay that way.

I'm not so sure.

RoyBatty
04-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Also when it comes to modernity they are certainly not doing bad. Economic growth, e-infrastructure but also growing care for the environment are what is now happening in the Baltic.

Much of that "economic growth" was down to debt-based financing, in other words, pyramid-scheme economics. (Similar to what is happening in Dubai).

Whatever economic models they were using aren't working as these were not realistic. They are now heavily indebted to Western Banks and I ask myself whether this wasn't a deliberate ploy in order to enslave these territories and to take control of their infrastructure and land.

Hors
04-18-2009, 08:53 AM
I've known only one Baltic personally. It was a petit platinum blonde Estonian girl, who was rather cute, despite her very concave nose, bleak gray eyes and overall Finnic features. Not much of a character, probably proving the observation that the blood of Finno-Ugrians is watery. Last time I saw her on a busy subway station she was glueing herself to a large, swarthy and very hairy Azeri ape, who was grabbing her ass. She looked content. People passing throu were glancing at them disapprovingly. But they were unaware she wasn't Russian.

Äike
04-18-2009, 09:11 AM
probably proving the observation that the blood of Finno-Ugrians is watery.

This thread is about Balts, but you start talking about Finno-Ugrics... You're a very special person in many ways.

The only Finno-Ugrics with "watery" blood are near the Urals. They are genetically a turkic/tatar/mongol mix. Nothing Finno-Ugric in them.

You truly have an inferiority complex. Your blood must be VERY "watery". So you are insulting other people.

Hors
04-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Never heard about Lithuanian Tatars, laddie? And speaking about Middle East... it seems you unaware that Jews are not natrive to the Baltic region?

Äike
04-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Never heard about Lithuanian Tatars, laddie? And speaking about Middle East... it seems you unaware that Jews are not natrive to the Baltic region?

The Tatars in Lithuania, there are few of them. And the Jews, there are a bit more of them, but that doesn't give you a reason to call them non-white.

Western Europe, like England, France, Holland have lots of muslim and other non-white immigrants. Should we call them a mongrel race now? No, we shouldn't. Because the immigrants aren't English, French or Dutch.

Same story with Lithuania, the non-whites are just immigrants. And the Lithuanian people who are a clear majority, are white.

Absinthe
04-18-2009, 10:22 AM
I have met some Balts on- and offline, and every single one of them seems to be a darling. I will tell you more after I return from my trip to the Baltic states in the summer. ;)

Sarmata
04-18-2009, 01:16 PM
At first I think that term "Balts" should included only Lithuanians,Latvians and Prussians(extinct people). Estonians and Livonians are different people related to Finns. OfcourseI don't consider Finno-Ugrians as non-Europeans but they're(or maybe better were) culturally different than IE.
Historicaly my nation and Lithuanians were in commonwealth who created one of the greatest country in Europe for almost 5 century. Together we fought(defended and conqered) against our enemies. Lithuanian nation gave us great king Władysław Jagiełło who beats Teutonic Order in the fields of Grunwald(Tannenberg) and initiated great dynasty of Polish kings.
Baltic folk culture,related rather to Slavic then Germanic(what some suggested) is great source about ancient Indo-Europeans, they preserved many ancient customs etc.
Interresting is fact that N haplogroup is so numerous in Indo-European, Baltic nations:confused: It is probably evidence of absorbtion of some Finno-Ugric tribes...However they're(Balts) in 100% my European kin.

Hors
04-18-2009, 01:32 PM
This thread is about Balts, but you start talking about Finno-Ugrics... You're a very special person in many ways.

Read carefully the first post in this thread:

What is so great about Baltic countries &/or Balts?

And Estonia is a Baltic country.

The only Finno-Ugrics with "watery" blood are near the Urals. They are genetically a turkic/tatar/mongol mix. Nothing Finno-Ugric in them.

I wasn't implying anything genetical. Just that Finno-Ugrians have no character.

A Finnish actor popular in Russia, Ville Haapsalo (?) once said that a Russian burial is merrier than a Finnish wedding... :D

You truly have an inferiority complex. Your blood must be VERY "watery". So you are insulting other people.

Finally, genetics of Western and Eastern Finnics are more or less the same. A lot of N3, some R1a, identical mtDNA.

Elsa
04-06-2014, 05:26 PM
My view of Balts (Estonians included) is fairly positive.

Kalimtari
04-06-2014, 08:50 PM
cool people, damn nice ladies :wink :wink

justme
04-09-2014, 07:20 PM
I once met a Lithuanian.... He was a bitch... But one girl was blinded by him(love) she seems ashamed of it.