PDA

View Full Version : What your opinion about the Turkish series?

Hungarian_master
01-05-2024, 07:57 PM
Nowadays, Turkey is a superpower in serial production, it even competes with the USA. Turkish soap operas are broadcast in many countries around the world, they are especially popular in LATAM, the Middle East, Central and South Asia, and the Balkans.

You can see Turkish series in the Hungarian TV, too. Their popularity here are varied, since among the low class, working class and rural Hungarians (and even the Gypsies, too) the Turkish series are very popular, especially among women, but among the urban upper middle-class they are not popular and these series are surrounded by public hatred, and some people openly declare that Turkish series are just as crappy as the LATAM telenovelas.

The my personal opinion about the Turkish soap operas are mixed. I like their exoticism, the folk music background, the conservative valuesy, you can get to know Turkish culture and landscapes in them and the attractive actors (actors in other countries are also attractive on average, but Turkish actors are especially so), but I don't like that each series has the same story, this is unimaginative, also they are very long and drawn-out, also they exaggerate the dramas and cries.

So, I understand all those who love and hate the Turkish soap operas.

There are some original Turkish series on streaming services (Netflix, Disney+, ect.), but both the positive and negative characteristics of the Turkish series are taken out of them.

Kess
01-05-2024, 08:11 PM
I don't watch Turkish TV series much. One major reason is that they tend to be quite lengthy, around 90 minutes per episode, which is almost like watching a full-length movie.

Mejgusu
01-05-2024, 08:12 PM
All of them are shit nowadays, the time when Turkish series were good is over. All are the same, same story about rich boy who falls in love with a poor girl somewhere in Istanbul, non authentic series about Turkish history or whatever. When I was a child there were some very funny series but now no one would dare to show anything like them in tv, that happens if someone radical conservative is ruling your country. I only watch Turkish Masterchef, nothing else, Turkish series are made for women who don’t work and stay at home or third world ignorants who think Turkish series about Ottomans are real.

DomitiusAurelian
01-05-2024, 08:14 PM
They suck

Bat_
01-05-2024, 08:36 PM
It's 2024 and people still waste their time with TV? :eek:

cj_227
01-05-2024, 10:05 PM
Are lightly-pigmented atypical Turks still over-represented in Turkish series?

Mortimer
01-06-2024, 10:12 AM
Serbian TV channels often play Turkish series with serbian subtitles my mum watches it. I dont watch it, but I used to watch or follow one so far in my whole life and it was great though. I liked it. The name was Aci Hayat but it was in 2010 or something, i guess it is very old now and outdated. I dont watch any series though, also not on netflix or american series or anything. I watch sometimes a movie, i prefer movies over series.

fyodorov
01-06-2024, 10:13 AM
Serbian TV channels often play Turkish series with serbian subtitles my mum watches it. I dont watch it, but I used to watch or follow one so far in my whole life and it was great though. I liked it. The name was Aci Hayat but it was in 2010 or something, i guess it is very old now and outdated. I dont watch any series though, also not on netflix or american series or anything. I watch sometimes a movie, i prefer movies over series.

All Balkan TV channels show some sort of Turkish soap operas. Surely you must have known that.

Mortimer
01-06-2024, 10:14 AM
All Balkan TV channels show some sort of Turkish soap operas. Surely you must have known that.

I know that and just said they do. I didnt said anything else.

Voskos
01-06-2024, 10:35 AM
Very melodramatic. I watched too many series back then (American and Turkish) : Nip Tuck, Ezel. This made me fail university.

Dušan
01-06-2024, 11:15 AM

Mexican and Venezuelan telenovelas were more popular in Balkans, than Turkish or Indian.

Sorab12
01-06-2024, 11:49 AM
I found them pretty dull but the women are mostly above average looking .Thats what cought my artistic( bragging) eye .

Klamar
02-07-2024, 11:51 AM
Nowadays, Turkey is a superpower in serial production, it even competes with the USA. Turkish soap operas are broadcast in many countries around the world, they are especially popular in LATAM, the Middle East, Central and South Asia, and the Balkans.

That's extremely surprising to learn, tbh no one under 35 really watches Turkish series where I live.

Klamar
02-07-2024, 11:54 AM
Are lightly-pigmented atypical Turks still over-represented in Turkish series?

ROFL when was that the case? Really, give me the name of the show. I think you're confusing Turkey with Brasil?

kingmob
02-07-2024, 12:18 PM
I skim through the 'historical' ones with mild interest due to the fact that Byzantines are always portrayed bad-ass if somewhat unhistorical (so the Ottomans can look cooler by proxy for beating them).

https://youtu.be/xBdBfF3d-rc?si=nzilcSz-FsBTL47k

rajputprincess
02-07-2024, 01:34 PM
Too long. Lol I used to watch but was not able to complete any of them so ended up dropping them

Barba
02-07-2024, 01:39 PM
It seems Turks always find the way how to conquer Balkans.

Hungarian_master
02-07-2024, 02:19 PM
That's extremely surprising to learn, tbh no one under 35 really watches Turkish series where I live.

Where do you live?

rajputprincess
02-07-2024, 02:26 PM
I like korean most

Klamar
02-07-2024, 05:50 PM
Where do you live?

Currently in Istanbul, but this was the case for nearly everywhere I've been in Turkey. Of course, there are always one or two exceptions per couple of years, the latest was Çukur, and before that, I remember Medcezir. I sometimes watch Kızılcık Şerbeti but I have a feeling that these are not the ones that are broadcasted outside of Turkey, especially the last show.

Klamar
02-07-2024, 05:53 PM
I like korean most

Well they're very popular among Turkish teenagers and young adults, especially among girls.

Klamar
02-07-2024, 05:55 PM
Turkish series have their charm with culture and eye-catching actors

Never thought they're that special. TBH many guys on my uni campus are far better looking than the great majority of actors I see on TV. Same goes for girls.

kingmob
02-22-2024, 08:10 AM
:rofl_002::bowlol:

<blockquote class="reddit-embed-bq" style="height:500px" data-embed-height="672"><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/2greek4you/comments/19388a8/least_badass_eoka_members/">Least badass EOKA members </a><br> by<a href="https://www.reddit.com/user/Whatever-Dont-Care_/">u/Whatever-Dont-Care_</a> in<a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/2greek4you/">2greek4you</a></blockquote><script async="" src="https://embed.reddit.com/widgets.js" charset="UTF-8"></script>