PDA

View Full Version : Yes, The US State Department Is Probably Supporting Russian Protest Groups

The Ripper
12-12-2011, 12:26 PM
We're sure a lot of people scoffed at Vladimir Putin's accusations against the US state department and Hillary Clinton earlier today.

However, this evening a Russian news source, Life News, has announced it in possession of more than 60MB of emails between US agencies and opposition groups in Russia, specifically talking in terms that indicate the US was paying opposition groups — groups that Life News projected themselves as independent.

One set of emails between USAID and the non-profit election watchdog "Golos" appear to show USAID financial analysts asking for documents that would facilitate payment.

Another email to a Golos deputy Grigory Melkonyants from activist Andrey Suvorov talks clearly about electoral complaints being put forward for cash:

“Hello,
I just wanted to discuss the conditions of our work once again.
Like we have defined it, it is piece-rated.
What will be the sum for one full appeal based on a violation report?
What will be the sum for the detected incorrect report about a violation?
Waiting for your answer.
If necessary, I will come up with my suggestions.
Best regards, Andrey.”

Golos executives have responded by saying that the emails were obtained illegally and that payments to Suvorov were for his services of a lawyer.
Of course, these emails are not exactly as damning as LifeNews makes out.
In fact, they are kind non-revelations. Mark Toner of the US State Department said earlier this week that the US had spent $9 million on financial support and technical training for civil society groups in Russia — and its certainly arguable that "Golos" comes under that category. And USAID is clear that it is acting in US interests — The USAID website openly states that "U.S. foreign assistance has always had the twofold purpose of furthering America's interests while improving lives in the developing world".

But it is interesting to see the geopolitical aspect of state aid laid bare so clearly. We might expect USAID money to be going to pro-Democratic groups in clearly despotic countries like Myanmar, for example, a country with few diplomatic ties to the West.

Russia, on the other hand, enjoys relatively normal relationships with most Western Countries, and is a modern state with a quasi-functioning democracy. It takes moments like this — like the US spy ring scandal, or the murder of Alexander Litvinenko in London — to remind us that, beneath the surface, these relationships are very, very frosty.

Yes, the United States is probably helping to support the anti-Kremlin protests in Russia. Whether they are actually making a difference is anyone's guess — but honestly, we doubt it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/russia-protests-usaid-hilary-clinton-state-department-2011-12

Joe McCarthy
12-12-2011, 12:35 PM
I would certainly expect the US to support Putin's enemies as he is our enemy.

Eldritch
12-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Yes, the United States is probably helping to support the anti-Kremlin protests in Russia. Whether they are actually making a difference is anyone's guess — but honestly, we doubt it.

I actually just attended a guest lecture about the recent Duma elections at the Aleksanteri Institute, and based on what I learned there, so do I. :rolleyes2:

The Ripper
12-12-2011, 02:45 PM
I actually just attended a guest lecture about the recent Duma elections at the Aleksanteri Institute, and based on what I learned there, so do I. :rolleyes2:

I think its more likely that American support will undermine the legitimacy of the protests.

Eldritch
12-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I think its more likely that American support will undermine the legitimacy of the protests.

In Russia? Most probably. But the official party line will always be that the protests are orchestrated from abroad, whether there is any truth to it or not.

antonio
12-12-2011, 02:55 PM
I dont know exactly how good or bad is Putin for Russia, but it's clear he's really awful for USA foreign politics as he likes to sistematically oppose them whenever it's possible...and USA doesnt like this.

beaver
12-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Are there real idiots sitting in the State Department:D I cannot recognize practical Americans.

Den Pobedy
03-29-2012, 10:21 PM
I don't believe Nations should ever let foreign involvement with their NGO's. In times past, foreign relations were conducted by the Embassy or Consuls representing their governments,with host governments. I think that should still be the only way allowed.

Albion
03-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Who's actually surprised by this? :rolleyes: