PDA

View Full Version : Question about genes and 23andme

Black Sun Dimension
12-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Here is the deal: I want to get my DNA tested but 23andme doesnt ship to my country. My sister is living in the U.S and I want to know, if she gets her DNA tested, can I expect the ancestral painting to be the same as mine, as if I was the one getting the test done?

Black Sun Dimension
12-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Anyone?

Scrapple
12-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Not necessarily especially if you have non-European admixture. Why not have it mailed to your sister and then have her mail it to you. Just use your name and her address.

Agrippa
12-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Here is the deal: I want to get my DNA tested but 23andme doesnt ship to my country. My sister is living in the U.S and I want to know, if she gets her DNA tested, can I expect the ancestral painting to be the same as mine, as if I was the one getting the test done?

Well, many details will be different, especially for single traits and of course no yDNA-haplogroup analysis.

Otherwise, the general genetic profile will not be exactly the same and can vary, but it should be, with high probability, quite similar to yours. High differences would be rather by chance and don't alter too much of your genetic-racial make up, being in the same/similar general limits.

Typologically that's different, because minor genetic differences by chance can alter the phenotype drastically, but genetically, the profile should be pretty similar if she is your biological sister.

Black Sun Dimension
02-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Not necessarily especially if you have non-European admixture. Why not have it mailed to your sister and then have her mail it to you. Just use your name and her address.

Shipping costs to Venezuela are not exactly cheap; plus getting U.S dollar is literally a pain in the ass here due to goverment restrictions.

My mother is going to visit my sister in may. I was thinking of buying the 23andme and have it shipped to my sister's house. I could then spit on a cup or something and have my mom transport my juice up there. They could then send my sample to the company.

How long does the DNA in saliva lasts anyways?

Beorn
02-01-2012, 03:22 PM
My mother is going to visit my sister in may.

Go with your mum, or have her bring it back and pay the difference in p&p.

Black Sun Dimension
02-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Go with your mum, or have her bring it back and pay the difference in p&p.

Cant, I dont have visa yet. Would my plan not work?

TheBorrebyViking
02-01-2012, 03:34 PM

How long would the flight be? Get a vile, have her take it with her, when she gets there change it into the new vile right away and ship it off.

Beorn
02-01-2012, 03:39 PM

It might work. I'm no expert (obviously), but it seems it can be transported in the right circumstances, but is your mother and sister willing to do all this and more?

http://www.salimetrics.com/assets/documents/spit-tips/publications/Saliva%20Collection%20Handbook.pdf

Black Sun Dimension
02-01-2012, 03:50 PM
How long would the flight be? Get a vile, have her take it with her, when she gets there change it into the new vile right away and ship it off.

10 hours more or less, 3 flight connections.

It might work. I'm no expert (obviously), but it seems it can be transported in the right circumstances, but is your mother and sister willing to do all this and more?

http://www.salimetrics.com/assets/do...20Handbook.pdf

Lots of steps but nothing extraordinary from what I could gather; should be no problem.

Thanks for the information.